Midnight Shadows

Midnight Shadows   \   Distraction & Recreation   \   The Underground   \   [Out Of Character] Ctrl + V #6

Monument
Bloodshadow
Do It Again
Contributor
Name: Phillip (M)
Style: Phoenix
Bring them dreams
Like they have never seen
So their souls can embrace
What their hearts cannot erase

^ Sleep spell in FGB. Rice cast it in Trick or Treat.
Make a space, for my body. Dig a hole. Push the sides apart.
This is what, I'm controlling. It's a moat, the inside that I carve.

Make a cast, of my body. Pull back out. So that I can see.
Let go of, how you knew me. Let go of, what I used to be.

10-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Possible Return
Celestial
Curiosity
Name: Arline (F)
Style: Purgatory
Wearing: light grey sweatpants, dark grey lightweight cotton hoodie
Hair: damp and messy in desperate need of a brush
Makeup: nope
Eating: considering making a toastie or something
Drinking: cold coffee because I forgot about it
Thinking: about my NaNoWriMo plot and character outlines.
Feeling: flat, and the literal pain in my neck.
Talking to: no one, I haven't turned MSN on and the flatmates are both sleeping.
Hearing: Out of Reach by Matthew Perryman Jones
Loving: my new jacket, the Ikea blanket, Harry Potterrrr, my flatmates
Wanting: to do something productive
Hating/Mad at: myself for not being able to write more than 100 words.
Waiting: for someone to come hang out with me.

^ The previous post of the At The Moment XII chat, before I could post. Copy-pasted it, so I could edit the answers for my own post.
For credits -> it belonged to Laudanum.

Banners made by myself

10-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Dreamscape
hostage to the light
Contributor
Name: Amy (F)
Style: Avengers
Emma Stone - TBA - Number Six

^Modly duties.
fear is a choice you embrace

11-01-2010, 02:48 AM
Possible Return
Celestial
Curiosity
Name: Arline (F)
Style: Purgatory
Suicide Is Painless

^ latest episode of grey's anatomy which i watched with my boyfriend this weekend. Needed it for the what series did you watch or something thread.

Banners made by myself

11-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Sobriquet
Celestial
playing for free
Contributor
Name: Tom (M)
1. Scientific Language

This text dealt with more scientific language that I was necessarily prepared for or had encountered before. The article itself was largely about a scientific experiment that had been carried out so it was difficult to actually understand all the terms that were used in order to sufficiently understand the text as a whole before I could even go about gist translating it. Words such as ,,Kernspintomographie” or ,,Sauerstoffkonzentration” are examples of this sort of language that I had never come across before and were difficult to explain in a way that made sense to any English speaker. Not only was there the issue of understanding these terms but also having to translate and explain them adequately in English which, in a gist translation, was even more difficult due to the word limit.

2. Direct Quotes

Within the article, there is a lot of direct quotes from Isabell Wartenburger, the scientist who carried out this study. I found it questionable as to whether or not I ought to directly translate these and keep them in speech marks because my translation may have been off due to a misunderstanding of the text and may not be what she said at all. I attempted to fix this problem by taking the words out of the quote and claiming that “Wartenburger says…” in an attempt to avoid any misunderstanding. However, in hindsight, this is probably more an issue with my own translation ability as opposed to the text itself but it was certainly a problem than I encountered whilst translating it.

^^ this is tom attempting to do homework...

expensive lies, but you're playing for free

11-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Callista
Love all, trust a few.
Name: Daphne (F)
mais qu'est-ce qu'on va bien pouvoir faire de lui?

^--- French history homework. I know what the sentence means, but since it's used in a caricature and it's said by two robots, I figured I'd just google it to see whether it really meant what I thought I did. I was right, so the caricature just doesn't make any sense.

11-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Targaryen
Magi
Fire and Blood
Contributor
Name: Kieran (M)
Style: Sovereign
Aaron hadn’t counted on Silas using a spell from the demonic Grimoire. The slayer had heard the last word of the spell but before he could act to defend himself, the slayer found his body thrown backwards. The slayer had been on his way back down to the ground when he’d felt the force in the air force him back. Aaron had slammed down onto the ground when his body had descended enough to allow gravity to become his master. The slayer hit the ground so hard that he had gasped for air, his lungs had emptied of the stuff as he’d become winded.

How he had allowed Silas to gain the advantage would torture Aaron. The slayer didn’t waste any time on the ground, he struggled with all of his strength but he managed to get up onto his feet. He had stood up with a slight crouch; he had been trying to regain his pattern of breathing. Aaron suddenly felt a rush of energy and had a feeling of being given more power. Had the Guides’ seen his hard work and rewarded him? The slayer didn’t know for sure, he knew he’d have to take advantage of the power if it indeed was that.

Aaron could see that he had a bit of distance between himself and Silas but as the slayer took off at the man with a run he moved in a zigzag sort of direction to avoid the power of the man. Using this time the slayer could remember the spells he’d learned that would become useful to him upon becoming a mystic warrior in the Forces of Good. “Hawthorn is burned to purify, and draw faerie to your eye”, Aaron chanted a quick spell and used it to bring forth some faerie’s to harm Silas as a slight distraction [1 Post].

At the same time, Aaron tapped into his solar power as he made a ball of solar energy. The slayer’s hand had been thrusted out towards where Silas was standing. He’d ensure that the man would know that whilst he may have had the upper hand, Aaron had taken it back. He had that bit more power than Silas now, he’d ensure it went to good use against the demon. As Aaron arrived back to where he’d levitated, he found himself close enough to Silas now that he’d be able to jump and tackle the demon to the ground if need be.

This, will, be ‘fun’.

-----------------------------------------------------

^ Aaron fight post for the WWD.
So this is farewell, the fight's final bell and I fall where I stand.
So give me your last hand, 'cause this is goodbye.

11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Monument
Bloodshadow
Do It Again
Contributor
Name: Phillip (M)
Style: Phoenix
“So what’s your name then?”

^ Camp Half Blood post. That's what Holly asked Dori.
Make a space, for my body. Dig a hole. Push the sides apart.
This is what, I'm controlling. It's a moat, the inside that I carve.

Make a cast, of my body. Pull back out. So that I can see.
Let go of, how you knew me. Let go of, what I used to be.

11-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Callista
Love all, trust a few.
Name: Daphne (F)
http://amandaseyfried.net/gallery/di..._display_media

^ Just had to show Bonbon what redhead Pandora would look like

11-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Acquiescence
Celestial
class
Contributor
Name: Bonnie (F)