Midnight Shadows

Midnight Shadows   \   Guided Games   \   Blank Pages   \   Zombie Apocalypse

Renew
Regenerated
Name: Just call me Renew (F)
Zombie Apocalypse
I've on/off imagined what I'd try to do in some of these zombie movies, but it wasn't until Fred posted it in the MS survey that I considered attempting an RPG. So yeah, anyone interested *looks at Fred,* pop over into here and let's get this going.

Some things we gotta figure:
  • Where do we start this? Does everything start out completely normal and then we show all hell breaking loose as the apocalypse starts or has it some time before the RPG opens?
  • For the ones starting this, do we play our chars meeting up or have they banded together/have reason to be together before the start? (any one else who joins in after the start can band with the group after)
  • How does this start? Disease? If disease, natural or man-made? A magic curse? Something else out there? Or maybe no one knows and they either find out later or never know?
  • More might be added later

As I was writing this up, an idea hit me. I remember seeing on one of those "potential future" TV shows some odd years ago where a couple was looking forward to a future where people would, very literally upload their minds into a computer and live in this virtual world (seriously, the chick even had a form picked out for when she'd be put into a computer). I got to wondering what if such technology was developed, what would happen with the bodies? Maybe they could wander around aimlessly, mindless. Perhaps even turn vicious without the minds/souls of their owners in them. Perhaps those zombies would then overrun the place and attack those that resisted the technology. Given the nature of it, maybe there could've been some sort of law in place where people had to do this and some rebelled. Just a thought.
All things come
All things go
Lights burn out
Darkness grows
Fields of ash
Angels fall
I fail to see
An afterglow

11-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Loki
Aquilae
counting stars
Contributor
Name: Fred (F)
Zombies!!! I am so excited! I honestly have no idea on where to start I don't even know if I've stumbled across a zombie game that I could draw on. I, personally, like the disease one that's engineered sort of like in I Am Legend, The Crazies, and Resident Evil but I like the accidental one like in Zombieland (that movie cracks me up!). The idea of people uploading their minds into a computer is sort of a new one for me and sort of sounds like Surrogates - which I have yet to fully watch - but it would be really weird to see what a body would do without its mind. When it comes to zombies, even though they really have their history in voodoo, I'm a little put off by the magical creation/basis.

I wouldn't know where to go if the idea were to play out from before the "outbreak" (or whatever happens) and I sort of think it might be interesting to play it as though it has already occurred What other sorts of ideas do you have?

11-21-2011, 04:18 AM
Renew
Regenerated
Well, what the body would do without their mind, I haven't seen the Surrogates, but it sounds kinda similar (in that they're bodies without their original minds, but not to how they got that way) to Stephen King's Cell, which, to me, had the most badass zombies ever, IMO. In it, there's something going through the cell phones called The Pulse in the book which, when it went off, everyone who was talking on their phone had their mind wiped to the absolute core and turned them into crazed killing machines. At first it was like most zombie stories with people banding together in groups, killing off some when they can and just trying to survive against the horde, but then as the zombies' minds started to rebuild themselves, they evolved and developed levitation, telekinesis, mind-reading, mind control and shiz. Was some pretty scary stuff there. Not saying we'd have them do all that, but having mindless bodies around could still be dangerous as they are.

Anyhoodles, disease sounds the most viable. As it is, rabies sounds kinda similar to the Rage virus in 28 Days Later. Maybe it could've either mutated and not only become more easily spread (like infection speeds up and perhaps could even go through pores in addition to bites/scratches) or it could've been modified as a biological weapon that gets out of control.

I had suggested playing out the before/during outbreak bit because I figured it'd be kinda fun to play out the "wtf is happening?!" confusion and the initial fight for survival when humans and zombies are all running around all freaked out and people are still out in the streets. That tends to be the first biggest scene because that's where everyone is getting either killed or turned and that's also where most of the original characters find each other and work together to get out of there and find someplace to hide until the initial chaos dies down. From there too, we can figure out how they learn how this all happened or even if they don't realize it at all.
All things come
All things go
Lights burn out
Darkness grows
Fields of ash
Angels fall
I fail to see
An afterglow

11-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Sister Grimm
Magi
of the dark order
Contributor
Name: Faye (F)
Style: Tyrant
Zombies!!! A zombie acopalypse would be hella fun to play out. As to the cause, why not make it a man-made disease spread? Maybe some government or something came across this virus by accident and like Codi said, mutated or something and a whole vial of it ends up in some remote place (or a busy place) and just spreads through out. And I like the "wtf is happening?!" part, it would really bring out a lot to the game in terms of content and such.

Take my advice. When the world goes crazy, you run... You runaway. - Nico Minoru, Runaways.

01-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Renew
Regenerated
Si, disease works well. Maybe this government group could be like the CIA developing it for biological warfare? Or a fictional terrorist group? An intent on turning a target enemies' populace into soldiers for their side? Horribly unethical indeed and would therefore be kept very, very top secret.

01-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Sister Grimm
Magi
of the dark order
Contributor
To avoid too much confusion for players that aren't familiar with the CIA (unless you can word it out very, very well) then perhaps fictional terrorist group would work? Or even just mad scientists. Muahaha. Yes, I'm liking this!

Take my advice. When the world goes crazy, you run... You runaway. - Nico Minoru, Runaways.

01-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Renew
Regenerated
Oh yeah, mad scientists! Could even be made into a sort of comedy thing. Said scientist(s) developing it for some messed up personal purpose while pretending to work for a legit lab under the pretense of making something else.

01-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Sister Grimm
Magi
of the dark order
Contributor
Yes, yes! Comedic zombie apocalypse would be funny and interesting to play out, but I like the idea of raw emotions and stuff.

01-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Renew
Regenerated
Could be a little of both if worked right. Raw emotions like with the start of the apocalypse and during some of the death scenes, but could throw a little humor in there. Some dark humor along the lines of Freddy's style in Nightmare on Elm Street?

01-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Sister Grimm
Magi
of the dark order
Contributor
Yeah that works too. This is so exciting, it would really help to expand writing style and all that, you know what I mean?

01-26-2012, 08:36 PM