Midnight Shadows Distraction & Recreation The Reliquary RP-Parents Unite aka MS Baby Talk!

11-19-2011
08:54 AM
You're familiar...
RPG Manager
Contributor
Name: Mari (F)
Coven: A7A
11-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Ah yes, winter is upon us and so is the string of incessant runny noses and horrible coughs...
Andy, I noticed that with Tessa as well. Hadn't been sick a day in her tiny life until she went to daycare at 6 months and about a week later she had her first cold. Same with Emmelien, she started daycare in october, at 5 months and a week in she had her first cold.

It's not all bad. So long as it's nothing worse than a cold it's good for their immune system. Still, it's dreadful to see them sick, breaks my heart.

Just been for a check up with Emmelien, she's doing great. Growing good, gaining weight the way she should. That's always nice to hear.
But the pediatrician warned us as well, with winter coming along, that november through february are the four worst months for colds, and worse, RSV. And I just found out from our neighbour that their little girl (born two days before Emmelien) has caught that nasty RSV
09:42 AM
Weak Fantasy
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Todd (M)
Coven: DEvil
11-28-2011, 09:42 AM
RSV is pretty comon. Even I have had the odd oene over the years. As long as they're healthy and developing the proper immune defenses, they'll become strong, healthy girls. Something to look forward to, to be honest.

I was honestly a sick kid in my early teens rather than in my early years and that worked against me rather than with me.
09:58 AM
You're familiar...
RPG Manager
Contributor
11-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Me it was the opposite: sick from 3 months onward to about 4 years and after that I was A-okay, worked wonders for me (though some might want you to believe it did permanent damage to my mental health ).

I know their immune system benefits from this, but seeing them sick, even with a silly cold, is just so heartbreaking. Especially the little one, because she doesn't speak yet, she can't tell me what's wrong or what she's feeling, she can only cry and when she's sick her cries turn into soft whimpering wails... *soft emo mom*
11:04 AM
Administrator
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
Style: Sovereign
11-28-2011, 11:04 AM
I hear you, Mari. Seeing Lukas sick breaks my heart. He doesn't speak yet (he's working on it with amazing speed and he defo understands a LOT, but he can't articulate himself yet) so I'm still in that place where you basically hope you're guessing right concerning why your kid is crying.

As it stands, we're unable to shake the cough completely. It's a lot better and almost gone during the day but at nights I still hear him - and more often than I like. ... back to the doctors come December that means

bury my heart next to yours
11-28-2011
11:09 AM
You're familiar...
RPG Manager
Contributor
11-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Yeah same here! And now, on top of the massive amounts of snot (and because of that) Emmelien has an eye infection as well
We're off to the doctor on Wednesday, hoping he'll prescribe some antibiotic for the nose because I can't keep up with cleaning it the way she produces snot (sorry for the gory details)
And Tessa went to the doc's last Thursday and also got new antibiotic drops for her nose... *sigh*

Ah well, let's wait for spring right?
11:16 AM
Administrator
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Lukas has that too. When his nose clogs up it ALWAYS gets to the eyes as well, now.

Yeah, I keep telling myself that the year is almost over so it should only be 3 months of sh!tty weather left.

11-28-2011
03:17 PM
counting stars
RPG Manager
Contributor
Name: Fred (F)
Coven: ADA-1
11-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Eek, both my kids had RSV. I had never heard of it growing up, but that's probably Because I grew up in warm climate, so when my daughter had it first I didn't know what it was at all. She ended up being in the hospital for two days and got over it rather quickly after the extra hospital help. My son ended up being in the hospital for just over two weeks It sucked. I have pictures of him in his little crib there with a great big smile on his face though, but he was pretty miserable for a while. Like Todd says, it's pretty common if you live in areas that see cold winters, but for older children and adults it usually manifests more as a bad cold.

My kids have only had the odd cold here and there so far this year, Brady did have an ear infection and is just getting over pick eye, but I suspect we'll see more coughing and sneezing at my house pretty soon. The weather's been pretty wonky the passed month so it hasn't had a chance to really get cold and stay cold, but it's bound to happen
12-07-2011
06:19 AM
Administrator
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
12-07-2011, 06:19 AM
Damn. We had exactly four days of normalcy (with me completely unable to fall back into my routine ) and today it's back to the doctor's Nasty dry cough and what appears a case of a minor stomach bug This really sucks because I can't really take time off work until mid-next week at least

I really hope that what they say is true ... that when kids get sick this much this early on they build a strong immune system which might even prevent allergies later on. Cross your fingers for me ...

12-07-2011
07:32 AM
You're familiar...
RPG Manager
Contributor
12-07-2011, 07:32 AM
*crosses fingers*
They always told us that as well. That their being sick so often so early makes for a good immune system. I wouldn't be able to tell you if it's true about the allergies, though we had Tessa tested for them a few months back and so far she has none.

I'm sorry to hear Lukas is sick again Emmelien's still not over her cough either but at least she doesn't wake up 20 times during the night anymore because her own coughing wakes her up. So mommy's getting some sleep again
And I always tell myself that if it's only colds, all in all, we shouldn't worry too much. It'd be so much worse if we had to take them to hospital for something
11:09 AM
Shadow Child

Contributor
Name: Andy (M)
Coven: ADA-T
12-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Uff! I do hope that Aki inherits my immune system, because quite frankly, I rarely get sick at all and from what I've heard I rarely was sick as a child too. It's insane, so most of the times when I call in sick and stuff like that, it's usually fake Scch don't tell anyone

But as it looks now, he is healthy, just this cold that's bugging him, he can barely breath through his nose