Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [Other] Winter is Coming [Carol / Bucky]

01-28-2019
10:17 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
01-28-2019, 10:17 AM
[In-Character] [Post #21]
The ghost of fear whisked across Carol’s features and James found it peculiar. He wondered, albeit briefly, what it was her mind was showing her as she obviously wrestled against rising from her slumber. Then her eyes flew open, returning the gaze that was on her. She was trying to orient herself, add time to the state she was in. James shrugged. “Around noon I would say”, he offered. He had removed his wrist strap with its gadgets the previous night.

“Once you can sit up, I will need to inspect the wound on the back of your head”, he announced, employing his ability to look at everything with clinical detachment. With curiosity, James looked at the fingers of the hand that was shifting upwards. What was her intention? And it took a moment for his mind to supply that she probably wanted to brush hair out of his face. It made him furrow his brows for a moment. James had no idea what to make of that.

Carol appeared to become aware of her hand’s action rather belatedly as well. So had it been a reflex? Because then the gesture had nothing to do with him. He could have been anybody for whom she would have done that? Or would she have? Carol Danvers did not quite strike him as a woman who just let anyone near. Images played in front of his inner eye as he remembered her in interaction with other Sentinel Services employees. Always at a distance. Always maintaining protocol.

The only ones to have ever gotten closer were Valerie Richards. And himself, he realised. He remembered instances where she had watched over him closely to ensure that sustained wounds would fuse together properly. With his accelerated healing, that at times was a little trying.

When she eventually prompted him for food, James looked up and around. There was a small kitchenette off to the north side of the room. Two boiling plates, but James highly doubted that the gas container was properly filled. He would have to try. At best there would be dry-foods stocked here. He doubted it was exactly what Carol needed to get her energy levels back up but he would have to make do.

“What do you have stocked?” he asked as he shifted out from beside her, putting her head down carefully with a gentleness even he had not known he had in him. Then he put his left fist down, easily pushing up and over her with his bionic arm. His eyes never left hers as his body momentarily hovered over hers.

He stood, picked up one of the blankets from the floor and draped it across bare shoulders.

James stopped by the window facing east. He opened the shutters, to flood the room in grey light. The snow covered the entire windowpane. He huffed out a breath – it was not supposed to thaw for another two to three days. This might eventually pose a problem. But he did not voice his thoughts and instead turned back around. Next stop was the fireplace. A few logs went onto the glowing ambers. Within moments, the first flames licked over the newly supplied wood.

At least there the supply was definitely covered. They could probably stay locked in for a week and not run out.

He opened the cupboards one by one, eventually finding two ten gallon jugs of clean water beneath the sink. When he lowered himself into a crouch, he hoisted one out and onto the countertop. “Well there is water.” This somewhat relieved him. Even if they only had peanuts or cereal, they could survive at least a week.

James took two mugs down from the hooks behind the stove. He poured water into one before returning to Carol’s side. He sat carefully, holding the mug with his left hand as he leaned down to push his right hand under the upper part of her back. Again, this brought him right into her personal space. His Adam’s apple bopped, when he swallowed. He gently nudged her to try and sit up.

“You need to drink”, he said as his eyes sought hers.

bury my heart next to yours
01-28-2019
12:29 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
01-28-2019, 12:29 PM
[In-Character] [Post #22]
What did she have stocked? Right, that required thinking. She usually made sure that there was plenty of food to last her for weeks if the snow hit hard. She wanted to tell him about the cellar pantry but he was moving, and then he hovered above her and just for a split second she wanted to reach up and press her lips against his. Just have a quick taste. Yet, she didn’t move. Didn’t so much as make a peep, as he moved away. She let out the breath she had been holding, as she tracked him with her eyes.

He went to the window, opening the shutters and she had to blink a little. The window was covered in snow, they weren’t going anywhere for a while.

And strangely, she was fine with that.

He filled up the fireplace, the heat in the room starting to rise again and she sighed. She was fine just lying here and don’t do anything and just watch him go about her cabin half naked. Some part of her knew that the way she was looking at him right now wasn’t how she used to regard him. She had seen him half-dressed before, had liked the view but that was it. Now though, it did funny things to her on the inside. She was just going to blame the concussion. Yes, her brain was just too rattled up right now.

She snapped out of it, hearing him say that there was at least water and she couldn’t help but chuckle. “Yeah, I put it there.” She hoarsely said. He got two mugs and filled them up before he came back.

Carol winced slightly as his hand moved under her back, her muscles protesting loudly at being asked to move. Groaning, she sat up finally and her head told her that sitting wasn’t smart at all. It started with an annoying throb, but he was right. She needed to drink. So she took the mug from him, her fingers brushing against his metal ones and wondered if he actually felt sensations with them.

She sipped from the mug, her eyes closing for a moment. She had been parched and she hadn’t even realised it. She sighed, emptying her mug and handing it back. “There’s a hatch in the kitchen, it leads to an underground pantry. It’s fully stocked.” She told him, remembering that he had asked. Her head still felt like cotton, which wasn’t strange with a concussion. Wait, had he wanted to inspect her head? He had said so, right?

“My head is killing me.” She told him, wincing as her fingers brushed over the wound. “My body is sore; my hip is bruised. Maybe my ribs too.” Trying to asses herself the best she could. She was sure he had done so already, which made her think about how she had been naked in his arms before. Nope. Not going there.

“Maybe some Tylenol would help.”
03:49 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
01-28-2019, 03:49 PM
[In-Character] [Post #23]
James could easily see that Carol was far from ‘well enough‘. She was in obvious pain. The fall, the concussion, the concussive impact on her hip. It made him consider the new intel on her. So she was no baseline after all. But apparently possessed no x-gene either. He wondered what she was then, and what her powers would normally be. He could only assume that she was generally impervious to damage. Otherwise her handling of the move that knocked the both of them out would have been a different one.

When she handed the empty mug back, she laid out the description about where to find the stock she had in this cabin. The floor hatch. He had seen that but ignored it earlier. James nodded and gently placed her back. “I can tell”, he commented when she described the pain level in her head. He cocked his head momentarily when she suggested Tylenol. “Given the pain level you are in, I suggest Advil instead.

“But for that you need to eat first.” He sat back, slowly reaching for the covers draped over her. “Let me take a look at your ribs and that hip.” If her ribs were indeed bruised, then possibly Tylenol after all. Which she could take on an empty stomach. James knew why he generally let others do this. His job, in comparison, he found a lot easier.

When her figure came into view, it was quite the reminder that she, too, was only in her underwear – and that Carol Danvers had a physique to behold hidden under the layers of clothes she usually wore. James found himself swallow against a small lump forming in his throat. Using his human right hand, he gently pushed at the area just below her breast with slow and softly probing motions. He felt an old and ever familiar sensation pushing up from his nether regions. Swallowing again, James did what he could to ignore it.

Then he moved his hand down, to her side – the region just above the seam of her panties. He pushed them down a little without exposing any more skin than absolutely necessary. The skin showed discoloration. “This is a bruise, if I ever saw one. It will give you grief for a while.”

James pulled the blanket closer around his own shoulders as he pushed the thick covers back over Carol. “But your hip caught the brunt. Your ribs should be fine. The soreness will go away.” James stood and walked back to the kitchen, taking her cup along and pouring himself water now. Drinking deep, he opened the hatch she had described. He descended the few steps, and pulled the string to light a single bulb. He was impressed with what he saw when the lights came on.

Survival for two weeks was an option. Living nicely, as well.
He took down a carton of eggs, some butter, ham, some cheese and crackers. There were even two bottles of wine down here, and a half-bottle of brandy. He left those. Just about to inquire about the meds, he found the white and red box at the very top of one shelf. He pulled it down. It had the size of a microwave. Well stocked was an understatement.

He pushed the med-case to the top of the stairs, gathered the supplies he had chosen and proceeded back up. It turned out that the stove was working fine. Within minutes he had a pan full of scrambled eggs sizzling. He was no cook. But he could do fried eggs and ham. In silence, James cut the cheese and opened the pack of crackers. Then he opened the med-case and retrieved two of the Advil. He put it all on a tray, eventually adding two plates of scrambled eggs and carried it back to the bed.

Moving the small coffee table back to the bedside he put the tray down. “Can you eat alone or do you require assistance?”

01-28-2019
05:05 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
01-28-2019, 05:05 PM
[In-Character] [Post #24]
Yeah, maybe Advil was a better idea when he placed her back and she winced again. She breathed in, trying to settle herself when he reached for the covers and pulled them back. Carol was glad he had put her in a shirt earlier or else she had been left too vulnerable right now. Yet, when she lifted the shirt and he started to push against the skin under her breast she had to close her eyes, and think of something else than his warm hand on her skin.

Yeah, that was not really working. She swallowed, as he moved his hand down and pushed her panties down just enough to have a look at her hip. Her grip tightened on her shirt, remembering that she still had it pulled up.

His words startled her out of her whatever it was. “Yeah, I guess it will.” Her voice sounded very different, lower, huskier and she had to clear her throat. The covers returned and she pushed the shirt back down. She opened up her eyes when he moved away, telling her how her hip caught the brunt, but her ribs should be fine. The soreness would go away.

She watched him go, watched him drink himself and then he went down the hatch. She leaned up, her head protesting but she gave it the finger. She propped up pillows behind her, and sat back. It made her sit up straighter, but she could rest her head when needed.

James came back up, supplies in hand and she settled herself enough so she could watch him get busy in the kitchen. It was strange, she felt at ease. The scent of food wafting over to her and she felt her stomach grumble. Which wasn’t strange since it had almost been a full twenty-four hours since she had her last meal. When he was done, he came back to her side tray in hand. Carol shifted again, sitting straighter when he asked her if she needed help eating.

“No, I think I can manage.” Or so she hoped, because she really didn’t want to get spoon fed by him. That would just be all kinds of wrong.

She moved again, sitting straighter, but had to close her eyes. Too much movement, her vision darkened for a moment. Her hand moved to her head, rubbing it slightly to will away the throbbing. Crossing her legs, she looked up at him trying to hide the pain jab her hip was giving her. She was not some weak kind of girl. “Hand me a plate, please.” She would do this on her own.

“It smells good.” Her voice sounded tired, she could even hear the pain in it and then she felt herself almost topple over. Groaning, she leaned back and reached for her head again. “Okay fine, maybe I can’t eat on my own.” She muttered mostly to herself, flipping her head off once more.
06:16 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
01-28-2019, 06:16 PM
[In-Character] [Post #25]
James did not quite think that she could manage without help but he would not argue with the woman. For long enough she had been his superior, and who was he to tell anyone what they could and could not do? So he reached for the plate, about to hand it to her, when Carol almost tipped forward. His free hand caught her shoulder and then gently aided her backwards.

The motion to reach for her head in pain was enough of an indicator. She did not sound pleased when she declared that maybe she did need help after all. James saw no problem with it. “I am not surprised. It is a bit more than just scrapes and bruises you sustained. Putting his own plate down, he took a hold of hers and sat up in front of her. He took the fork and shovelled some egg onto it. Instead of cutting stripes of ham, he had cut cubes and thrown them into the egg. So there was egg, some ham, some grated cheese. It should supply sustenance.

As he lifted the fork towards Carol’s mouth, James paused, holding the piece of cutlery in mid-air. The ghost of a smile rushed across his features. “It will be our secret”, he told her as he lifted the fork a bit further as if to nudge her. Carol’s lips parted and with precision and care, he put the fried egg into her mouth. James had never found eating to be such a sensual thing. Her lips looked so soft as they closed over the throngs of the fork.

He swallowed, then looked up at the woman in bed in front of him. “Is this situation …”, he started but stopped, rethinking his wording. It was not really the situation he wanted to know about. “Am I making you uncomfortable?” He would not be surprised. Apparently his presence made most people uncomfortable. Still, he had never struck Danvers as one of them. To him she had always appeared like someone not scared of anything.

Looking back down at the plate, he picked up more egg and then sat with utensil in hand waiting until Carol was done chewing. “I really do not wish to cause you any harm.” And for once, this surprised even him, this was the truth. James barely understood why but there was something that made him do more than just follow the objective. He wanted her to get better, to be safe. How and why that went hand in hand with the fact that apparently the Services was now hunting Carol was unclear to him – but once more, who was he to second-guess what others wanted?

01-28-2019
06:48 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
01-28-2019, 06:48 PM
[In-Character] [Post #26]
Of course, he wasn’t surprised. Neither was she but she had always been so independent that it was weird being dependent on someone. So, sitting back she watched how he took her plate and filled up a fork for her with the edibles he had made. She stared at him, watching his lips going for a smile and she held her breath. She couldn’t really recall when she had seen him smile, but it looked good on him. Even if it was a fleeting one.

So, now they were going to have secrets? That made her smile in return. Alright, she was fine with nobody knowing how he was hand feeding her in the middle of nowhere. She opened her mouth and he carefully pushed the fork forward. She closed her lips over it and emptied the fork.

For a brief moment she closed her eyes, chewing and she sighed. It tasted very, very good. Opening her eyes, she looked at him. He started a question, chewing still she waited for what he wanted to ask.

Was he making her uncomfortable? She had to assess that for a moment. Ever since she had been made his handler, she had no problems being in the same room with him. She told him what his mission was, debriefed him and took care of his wounds if he had any. Made sure he would be ready to go for the next mission. It had almost been clinical, not kidding herself that she could befriend him. His programming wouldn’t allow for it, but now…

Every time he was near, something started to flutter inside of her. She wasn’t scared of him, no it wasn’t fear.

James then looked down at the plate, telling her that he didn’t wish to cause her any harm. That made her swallow her food and look at him. Truly look at him. He was handsome, she liked the way the stubble came through on his face and how his hair decided to fall in front of his eyes. It made her want to reach up and push it back.

“No, you’re not making me feel uncomfortable.” She told him softly. “I feel vulnerable right now. Normally I don’t get hurt like this.” Carol told him honestly. Her durability was gone, she knew that much. She could get hurt. The bruises and the concussion told her as much. Which left her in a state where she had to be very careful because she didn’t have superhuman healing.

“I believe you don’t want to cause me harm, but it’s not making sense to me. I’ve been your handler for years, I know each and every objective they have given you. Why are they sending their best asset to babysit me?” And then there was the whole she kinda want to jump his bones thing going right now. Concussion be damned.

“What did they tell you about me?” She was wondering, did they explain that she wasn’t human?
05:05 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
01-29-2019, 05:05 PM
[In-Character] [Post #27]
James could not help it that he felt relief when she gave confirmation that, indeed, he was not making her uncomfortable. He listened carefully to what else she had to say, surprised when the reflex to protect followed Carol’s admission of vulnerability. He nodded, trying to decide whether it was normal for him to feel protective of anyone. His conditioning, his training continuously reminded him that growing attached was a weakness.

Just that he felt like he already was attached. How exactly that had come to pass, James could not pinpoint. He simply followed instinct. And his instinct was to make sure she was alright here and now.

“I have no idea”, he said, slowly shovelling more egg into Carol’s mouth. His eyes were on the delivery of food rather than her eyes when he spoke. “Though I believe it pertains to those abilities you do have.” Now his eyes briefly shifted to meet hers. “They told me nothing”. Another glance to her eyes. She would know that James never got the why’s. He always simply received information about the what’s and the who’s.

“That you are, in fact, an asset to be protected at all costs.”

Another fork-full was delivered to her lips.

“Not to be harmed.” His gaze grew unfocussed as he tried to remember. “It makes little sense to me as well.” This time, he put the fork into his own mouth, chewing without noticing that he had his own plate and his own cutlery. “I have no order to bring you in once I catch up.” Another fork into his own mouth. Then he looked up at Carol, down at the utensil in his hand.

“Oh”, he said while his facial expression did not really register surprise. “I am sorry. I should use my own.” He put the fork down, picked up its unused twin from the other plate and proceeded to help Carol with putting food into her mouth.

Then he paused for a moment, revisiting briefly what she had just said. “Yet, if I don’t make you uncomfortable, why did you run?” She had up and left her apartment, leaving behind everything and everyone. And she had picked up pace the moment she had spotted James in her periphery.

01-29-2019
05:51 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
01-29-2019, 05:51 PM
[In-Character] [Post #28]
He had no idea, he told her while feeding her more eggs. She knew that she was wanted by Sentinel Services, that they needed her for something. The fact that they had let her go, didn’t make sense. Unless they had something else planned. But what? It was a long shot to think that they had told him anything.

She swallowed her food, confirmed once more that she was an asset to be protected at all costs. She opened up her mouth again, received another bite full.

Not to be harmed.

And then he agreed with her that it didn’t make sense to him as well. She watched him use the fork to eat from the plate himself and she couldn’t help but smile over it. He didn’t even realise he was doing it. What he said next made her frown a little though. “So, you are to stay with me, no matter where I go?” She asked. Because if he wasn’t supposed to bring her in, then what?

She saw him comprehend what he had been doing with her fork and she smiled again. “It’s okay.” But he still got the other fork and continued to feed her.

Carol lifted her hand, placing it on his and lowering it down. She had enough food for now and he wanted to know why she had run from him. “Because I didn’t know what you would do to get to me.” She told him. “I thought it wiser to seek out solitude and go from there.” Carol gave him a smile, realising that for once, in all the time they knew each other, they were having an actual normal conversation.

“You forget that I know you, James. I know your procedures. I was running on instinct.” Thinking back, her mind was telling her how ludicrous she had behaved. Deep down she knew that he wouldn’t hurt her… but how did she know that?

“I didn’t know you weren’t going to hurt me.” And instead she had hurt the both of them. Carol was still holding his hand, she squeezed it gently. “Instead I hurt you. I know you’re healed but still… I’m sorry.” She sounded exhausted.
07:48 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
01-29-2019, 07:48 PM
[In-Character] [Post #29]
“No matter where you go.” He had confirmed earlier, saying out loud that indeed he was to remain by her side. Oddly enough, he really did not want to be anywhere else. Another sentiment he did not quite understand. That kind of attachment was alien to him. Now he stared at where her hand rested upon his and he resisted the urge to turn his lower arm, see how her palm would feel in his.

When Carol continued, explaining how she had not known what he would do to get her, he did not speak when the word popped into his mind. Everything. And that had little to do with his current programming. James knew that he was called upon as an operative whenever everything was needed to be done.

But she knew that. She had seen the lengths he would go to for the past years. So cutting herself off and then running as far and as fast as she could had been her best option. Just that they had somehow clipped her wings. In the face of that, with someone like him on her heels ... James still had no idea to what end all of this was.

Then she squeezed his hand and James looked up into her eyes for a moment. The gesture was oddly intimate and something James did not know. Then she went so far as to apologise. This was unexpected. His facial expression did not change, he just looked at her without judgement or other emotional reaction. There was simple consideration for the matter. An apology. No one he could remember had ever apologised to him.

“No”, he said, shaking his head once.

His gaze dropped back to her hands and now he did turn his hand beneath hers. Her palm was warm as if fresh blood was pumping through it. Probably the infusion of sustenance. Her body had energy. Her hands were soft where his felt dry and calloused. She was gentle and fragile where he was rough and a brute. For a moment, his fingers curled around her hand, before he simply moved his hand away and busied himself with the fork and the leftovers on Carol’s plate.

Once more he used her fork.

When that plate was empty, he dug into his own. James lacked the ability to self-reflect properly. He did not know the vision he was, sitting there in nothing but boxer briefs, a blanket that was sliding down his shoulders, wolfing down eggs and ham and cheese. He simply knew that he was hungry.

Eventually, when the hunger was beaten back enough and the second plate was empty, he looked back at Carol. She did look tired again. He collected the two empty plates, placing the cutlery on top. “You need to take Advil, then we should look at your head wound.” He stood, bringing the dishes back to the kitchenette. From there, he produced two tables of 400 mg Advil, and then put everything he might need to clean that wound on top of the med case. He wondered whether it would be a wise idea to wash her hair. Possibly, after the drugs kicked in. James wasn’t sure the way it was matted from the blood, dirt and snow earlier he could see anything.

Resuming his place, he held out the Advil for her and then picked up the mug of water he had originally brought for himself. “Here”, he said, offering her first one, then the other. “Take both.” When she had done as instructed, he placed the mug back on the coffee table and just looked at her for a moment.

“I promise I will let you sleep afterwards.”

01-29-2019
08:36 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
01-29-2019, 08:36 PM
[In-Character] [Post #30]
He just simply said no, shaking his head, like he couldn’t believe that she would apologise. Like nobody had ever done so before. She remained silent, following his gaze to their hands and he turned his palm side up. Carol stared, fascinated by how nicely hers fitted into his. His fingers curled around hers, she felt her heart stutter in her chest and then the contact was gone.

He finished emptying her plate himself. It didn’t go unnoticed that he was yet again using the fork he had used to feed her.

She watched him, strangely at ease while doing so, sitting back into the pillows while he finished eating. Carol couldn’t deny that she liked the view. He was a good-looking man, and she was enjoying the muscle action while he was eating.

When he was done, he looked back at her. She tried for a smile.

Mentioning the Advil and inspecting her headwound she gave a slight nod. She watched him take everything back to the kitchen, rummage around and then come back to sit back on the bed with her. She took the Advil from him, then the mug of water. She took both pills, washed them away with the water and handed the mug back.

“Can I take a shower first?” Her hair felt gritty and she knew that there must be blood still stuck in it.

“And then I wouldn’t mind sleeping again.” She told him, trying for another smile.