Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [Other] Winter is Coming [Carol / Bucky]

02-09-2019
11:26 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
02-09-2019, 11:26 PM
[In-Character] [Post #131]
Not the same but close. She sat back up again, her hands still resting on his back as she looked at him. Waited. He tried to explain about the pain that wasn’t pain, more like a burn and she bit her lower lip. He didn’t know how to explain it. “It’s okay. I get it. Sorta.” And maybe she did. Her fingers splayed on his back and she felt the muscle flex, he was slowly moving and she lifted herself up enough for him to turn around.

She sat down again once he was done, his hands on her thighs and she just looked back at him as he looked up at her. Then her heart skipped a beat, she felt herself go warm as he told her that maybe they shouldn’t do this.

He voiced his worry about her friends, the apartment, the café and even Lucas.

And what would happen to her…

She let out a soft sigh, his bionic fingers ran up her arm, towards her face and she leaned into his palm as he uttered the words about it just not being real. She closed her eyes, her own hand moving up to place on top of his bionic one.

“It feels real to me.” She softly said. Moving into his palm and pressing her lips there, then she shifted again to let him cup her face. “You worry too much, Buck.” She looked down at him, a half smile on her lips. “Valeria is already compromised. A sentinel tried to take her in, she said no. Then it tried to take Peter. They destroyed it.”

“The café… it won’t be there anymore.” She had told Caitlin to sell it earlier when she was fixing dinner. “That cop knew what he was doing.” And she was sure Nate would keep him out of the heat of SentS.

“And this place, it’s not in our names. It can’t be traced back to us. Trust me. I’m good at what I do.” But that’s not what he was worried about, was it? He didn’t want to lead them back to this place if he got caught. Because deep down he knew that he would end back in the hands of Sentinel Services. They would extract and then wipe him clean.

“I’m not a porcelain doll, Bucky. I know how to defend myself.” She got that he worried about her, that it was perhaps still part of his programming to keep her safe. “And no, you cannot point out that I concussed myself. I got caught off guard. That won’t happen again.” And it wouldn’t.
10:34 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
02-10-2019, 10:34 AM
[In-Character] [Post #132]
Bucky was not sure that it felt right to touch her face like that with the bionic hand. It was warm, yes, but it was artificial. It was, in a way, part of what had led him to the place where he was now. It had once made him the Fist of Hydra. He closed his eyes when Carol responded. Her lips to his palm sent a shiver through him and it took effort for him not to yank the hand away. “Carol”, he choked out feeling the warmth of her skin against the smooth metal surface of his.

“I do?” he asked when she told him that he was worrying too much. She tried to diffuse his worries but that was not what he thought about. Did she realise that? Could she see that she was giving the Services the chance to get closer to anyone he got in contact with? But before he could say more, she reminded him that she was no porcelain doll. Bucky had no doubt. She was downpowered and she could keep up with him without breaking a sweat.

The rematch she had mentioned earlier would likely have him concussed. Bucky had no illusions about it. “I know” he murmured when she told him that she would not get hurt again. Once she had that inhibitor out, Bucky had a feeling Sentinel Services would get a run for their money.

Bucky looked up at Carol, his eyes tracing the lines of her face. The colour of her eyes was a rich and deep brown and when they looked at him it was almost like everything else fell away. That sliver of hope, she could make him feel it because when she was there he could not accept that there was no chance for him. A chance to break free, to be a man to this woman.

He pushed air out of his nose, gently tugging her chin down and closer to him. He stole a kiss from her list, slow and soft, closed lips against closed lips for now. “I can’t help it”, he murmured, his eyes searching hers. There was a small whisper of a smile flitting across half of his face. Then his eyes darkened slightly. “When they get me, I need you to still have enough options.” He put his arms around her mid-section and then pulled her down and next to him. Her head on the pillow next to his.

“Promise me, you’ll stop me.” He added, his forehead tipped forward slightly. Bucky let his eyes slide shut once more. “I don’t want to do that kind of thing anymore …”

bury my heart next to yours
02-10-2019
11:38 AM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
02-10-2019, 11:38 AM
[In-Character] [Post #133]
Carol stared back into his eyes, eyes that were both blue and green and she just wanted him to look at her like that always. She let him pull her down, her lips against his in a stolen kiss. She wanted, more of those, she would make sure they had more. Because this was the man he should have been, that they never let him be.

“I know.” She murmured back when he told her he couldn’t help it. And that feeling growing inside of her blossomed even more. Expanded it tendrils, through her.

His next words, it tugged at her heart differently, and she let him pull her down next to him. She shifted, her head on the pillow next to his. “I have options, Bucky. I wasn’t kidding when I said I can hide under their noses in the city.” Her hand moved up, letting it rest on his cheek, her thumb gently stroking the stubble.

She tipped her own head forward, meeting his and her heart cried out. “If they get you, I will do everything in my power to get you out.” She whispered. “I promise I will stop you.” And it ached her to say those words, because they both knew that it wasn’t a question of if, but of when they would catch them. Him.

Carol pressed her lips against his. “They won’t find us here.” And she was certain of that, as certain as what she was feeling for this man.

Her thumb kept stroking that stubble, she really liked that stubble. “Trust me.” She whispered against his mouth.
06:37 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
02-10-2019, 06:37 PM
[In-Character] [Post #134]
Bucky reached down, pulling the covers up and over them. It was not that it was cold in the room but he wanted the extra layer. A little bit more that stood between them and the rest of the world. It was a foolish notion, Bucky knew that. And yet, it gave him a little comfort in the face of what he was certain was headed their way. She once more reminded him that she could hide in plain sight. He pressed his lips together, nodded faintly.

Then her hand found his cheek and he exhaled through his nose while his eyes slid shut for a moment. She reciprocated his motion and oddly enough the small gesture seemed to mean everything in that moment. Her words nurtured the sliver of hope. The idea that he would no longer live his life on ice. What could be there for him beyond that cryo chamber? More of this? More of them.

Her words against his mouth tickled, and the tip of his tongue darted out for a moment in reflex. “I do”, he responded. “It’s me I don’t trust.” He would have no way of keeping anything that was happening here now to himself once the Services sunk their claws into him. And neither could he deny their orders once they had activated him.

“I’m sorry“, he murmured. “I just can’t seem to stop thinking about it.” He took a deep breath. “I never used to be like this.” The words were followed by a small shrug. “I was … Bucky Barnes. Not a care in the world. I was tall and strong and the ladies liked me. And it was like nothing else mattered.” He scoffed at that a little. “I thought my buddy Steve and I could take the world by storm.

“And now … look at me”, he said, not without regret. “I can make you scrambled eggs but I wouldn’t know how to live in this time.” A few basics he knew. Like eggs, and pasta with a simple tomato sauce. Sarah Rogers had taught him the things his own mother never had. That Bucky would go on to live a life where he could not employ these skills no one had known then.

He had wanted to kill a few Nazis then. And now? Now Bucky Barnes was a super soldier with a metal arm and even a healing factor.

It was one of the few nights he was not walking around in combat gear, always ready to be out the door and on the run. Carol had worked hard to convince him. Maybe that was the reason why he wanted that cover on top of them. Without the uniform he felt naked, vulnerable… simply not ready. And then there was the bit where this bed was just too soft for him. The couch turned bed at the cabin had been somewhat acceptable but probably because everyone else would have found it uncomfortable.

But this one here, it was a real and proper bed. Soft mattress, pillows. It was like sleeping on a marshmellow. So he did not sleep well, and not sleeping left him too much time to think.

02-10-2019
08:06 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
02-10-2019, 08:06 PM
[In-Character] [Post #135]
He didn’t trust himself and that was heart breaking on its own. Because she knew that they would take everything from him what he was experiencing right now. They would know everything, he would give them everything if he got caught and put in that chair.

“Don’t be.” She murmured back when he said he was sorry. He couldn’t stop thinking about it and then he shared more of how he used to be. And she listened intently, her eyes flashing open and looking at him. Looking at Bucky and how he recalled about not having a care in the world, how other people perceived him, how the ladies liked him. That made her smile, she could see that. Could see the women from that time turning their heads if he walked by, sighing with longing.

Yes, she most definitely could see that.

“I’m sure you two were a force to be reckoned with.” She softly said with a smile when he mentioned Steve.

Carol knew that putting him on ice over and over again would have done something to him, the fact that he was confirming it made it all the more determined for her to make sure that that wouldn’t happen again. Whatever happened, if they caught him, she would get him out. No more cryo for him. Not if she could help it.

“I don’t even know how to do that without burning them.” She told him honestly. A kitchen princess she was not. Her own mother had died too soon, not there to tell Carol what to do in the kitchen and then she had left home at eighteen. The Airforce didn’t hire on cooking skills. “Maybe you should teach me.” Another smile curled on her lips. Her fingers stroked his jaw, that strong jaw she really liked watching when he worked it.

“One step at the time, Buck.” She told him softly, her fingers trailing down until her hand rested on his chest.

“And don’t stop telling me what is bothering you.” Her hand rested on his heart, feeling his heart beat against her palm. It had come to be her favourite thing to do. Just feel his heart beating against her hand. “We’re in this together, you know?” And they were, the Services might have thrown them together but she was pretty sure they were running things by themselves now.

“First thing I’m going to do tomorrow is order a new mattress.” She murmured.
09:12 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
02-10-2019, 09:12 PM
[In-Character] [Post #136]
Bucky could not help the smile on his lips when she spoke of burning everything she tried to cook. Well, he was no cook either. But at least between them there was more than just take out. Not that he minded her adapting his ‘dessert first’ thing. “I can teach you.” His smile widened a little.

Her fingers danced across his jaw, following it lines up and down, back and forth. This kind of gesture was something he was not used to. It was so new to have anyone touch him in any other way than hurt or try to kill him. There was no sentimentality to it, no pity party either. It simply was what it was. Most of the treatments in the lab caused him pain. Almost everyone he was sent after would try to fight back. He huffed out a breath.

One step at a time. She was right, of course. And yet, Bucky was not even sure which leg to set forth first. Her hand trailed to his chest. He liked this thing she did where she would place her hand where she could pick up the beating of his heart.

Together. She had allowed for them to become a we. Bucky was not quite sure what to think of it. It had been so long since he had been a we with anyone. The last time was in a different lifetime.

Then Carol switched the topic. Just like that she suddenly spoke of ordering a new mattress. “Oh?” he asked, his bionic palm coming to rest above hers.

A new mattress? Were they setting up shop here? Bucky was not opposed to it and yet he did not see the point. They would eventually be torn out of here. One moment to the next when they could get Carol’s inhibitor out they would be on the move.

“It’s bothering me that this won’t last…” He let his eyes roll and describe a wide circle when he said that, indicating this situation in this apartment. Eventually he added. “I want this” - he gently squeezed her hand - “to last.”

02-10-2019
09:42 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
02-10-2019, 09:42 PM
[In-Character] [Post #137]
He sounded surprised, another smile curling on her lips. “It’s too soft.” Even her mattress at her own apartment had been met with her specifics. It needed to be firm, hard enough like she had been used back in the Airforce, at NASA, hell even when she had been in outer space. “For the time we’re staying here, I like to be able to sleep.” She told him, because she would get cranky and end up on the floor if she didn’t get her rest.

She knew that they had to move on at some point, staying too long at one spot wasn’t smart when people were searching for you. She knew that, knew that all too well. There had been missions where she had to move daily from one place to the next to stay ahead. But there was this small slither of hope that they could at least stay here for a while. Get their bearings, figure out what to do about SentS and get that damn inhibitor out of her body.

But right next to that slither of hope was one of fear. Fear that this could be over tomorrow.

It was bothering him that this wouldn’t last, and he wanted it too last. His hand squeezed hers and she looked at him. “It’s bothering me too.” She told him softly. “Because I want this to last as well.” She breathed in deeply, taking in his scent.

“There’s this dread inside of me…” She started. “… the longer we’re staying out of their grasp, the more I expect the other shoe to drop.” She might be the one to show that she didn’t fear what was coming but that was far from the truth. “I’m scared that if it drops, they will rip you away from me and I don’t want that.”

Her heart telling her what her mind didn’t want to say yet.

“There is a silver lining though. Without all of this, I wouldn’t have met Bucky Barnes.” She stared up in his eyes. “And I would go through it all again in a heartbeat.” Carol softly said, making him realise that she wasn’t regretting this. Hadn’t regretted anything they had done up until now. Would go through being taken after outing herself, run into him at the cabin, everything that happened there. She would do it all again.
07:52 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
02-11-2019, 07:52 PM
[In-Character] [Post #138]
Bucky could not help but be momentarily amused when she pointed out that the mattress was too soft. It was the same for him. After being deployed he had spent so much time on a bunk or sleeping on the floor. The came the time with Hydra, and the time most similar to sleep had always been spent in a chair or on a table and mostly in cryo sleep.

The Services gave him extended times of being awake. Missions could include a week or more time. It had given him some semblance of a life back - even if that had been a far cry from what he was experiencing with Carol now. And that was reason why there was a sliver of hope - and with every bit of hope came the chance to lose things. For the first time in a long time, he had something to lose.

Listening to Carol’s words, Bucky felt something inside of him go to ease. Was it the way they repeatedly inched closer? Bit by bit, there were admissions being made about what they felt for one another. And there was definitely something there. Bucky felt it, much like she did. He was not sure what label to slap onto it. All he knew was that with her things made sense. With her he felt like he was on the right side of the line. With her, there was hope.

Ever since she had stopped running from him at the cabin, the sensation had been growing.

“Eventually, they will”, he murmured when she voiced her fear that they would take him away. “I don’t doubt it. The longer we stay ahead of them the more they will come up with …”

The words she followed up with made him smile. She would do it all again. It helped him a little to ease a heavy heart. They had put her through a thing or two, especially given the inhibitor. Bucky’s eyes momentarily darkened, but he tried for a smile anyway. “Don’t ever tell anyone. I’m sure someone would come up with more just to put you through hell…” Breathing out through his nose, he silently sought her eyes one by one as if to imprint this sense of foreboding onto her.

Then something occurred to him. Bucky hesitated for a moment, not sure now was a good time. Then again, there would never be a good time.

“Tell me about Nathan Coleman.”

He gouged her reaction and could clearly see he had not seen it coming. Bucky huffed air out through his nose. “I was to keep you away from him if I only could”, he explained to her. His goals had been simple, easy to make happen. Back then he had somewhat wondered why they would choose him when other operatives could surely do a job as well. It was only now that he was seeing an underlying current.

“Can you?” he asked, prompting whether he ought to change the topic instead. “Or would you prefer we talk about something else?”

02-11-2019
09:10 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
02-11-2019, 09:10 PM
[In-Character] [Post #139]
And she really didn’t want to think about that, didn’t want to think about how they would take him away from her. Because she didn’t want to lose him, lose this. And he was right, the longer they stayed out of the clutches of the Services, the worse things would get. It was just an APB now, regular cops looking for them. She was sure by the end of the week, they would have gotten the military involved or something.

“I think losing you would be hell enough.” She said softly, and some small part of her realised that maybe that would be their next ploy. Because she was certain she would fall in line if they ever threatened him, used him as bait to lure her out.

She saw him hesitate, it was just a fraction of second but it was there. He wanted to ask her something, but what he uttered next caught her off guard.

Carol was surprised. He wanted her to tell him about Nathan.

And he was to keep her away from him. Clearly an order programmed by SentS. For what reason, she had no idea. Well they clearly had wanted her and Bucky together, and Nathan would have been a distraction. Something about that reasoning, tickled something in the back of her head. She couldn’t put a finger on it. Not yet.

Could she tell him about Nathan?

“No, it’s okay.” She could talk about Nathan. Taking in a deep breath, she closed her eyes for a moment, centring her thoughts and figuring out where to start.

“We had a relationship together when we were both in the Airforce. We were in love, but then I got the chance to work for NASA. It would take me half way across the country and we both decided to end it.” She sighed a little. “He still loves me, but I don’t love him like that anymore. Not like I …” love you. She thought, swallowing the words because she really didn’t know what he would do if she just blurted that out right now.

“Lucas, the cop on the rooftop, he let us go because he was doing Nathan a favour. Lucas works for Nate.” She changed direction, pretty sure that he would have noticed, but she couldn’t go there. Not yet.

“I… I’m going to break his heart.” She whispered, opening her eyes and looking at the man that had stolen hers.
08:37 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
02-12-2019, 08:37 AM
[In-Character] [Post #140]
Bucky was not sure whether to be glad or something else when she responded in the affirmative about Coleman. He watched in silence when she closed her eyes and obviously tried to take her mind elsewhere.

A relationship when they were both in the Airforce. That did date back a few years, did it not? Bucky closely watched the way the lines of her face worked as she took him down memory lane. So the man still loved her but Carol did not reciprocate it. Bucky wondered about this for a moment because from what he knew she had recently been with the man.

Then Carol broke off mid sentence and Bucky wondered just what had managed to not slip off her tongue there.

He was still contemplating whether to prompt her for what she had omitted but Carol was faster. She went on. The cop on the rooftop. Bucky remembered. The boss man, the woman had said. There it was, the missing piece. He would have not approved for his ex to be taken in.

To break the man's heart. Bucky didn't move but caught her gaze the moment she reopened her eyes. There was a sliver of pain in her eyes and Bucky found himself swallow. Faced with the idea that Carol might still have feelings for this man, he found himself unsettled. Had he gotten this used to this already? She was in his corner and Bucky realised that he needed her there. More so, he wanted her there.

“Are you OK?” He asked, then considered a rephrase. “Are you going to be OK?”

So maybe his Intel had been right. No matter how brief it had been. They had warmed up old feelings recently. She had had some thing going with the man recently and that somehow put Coleman into the crosshairs as well. Bucky breathed through his nose, jaws shut tightly. He swallowed again, the motion showing in the facial muscles around his chin.

“I barged into that, didn't I?” He asked, not sure he wanted to know but preferring the cards on the table rather than secrets between them the Services would certainly use to their advantage somehow.