Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [SentS] It's a long way down. [Ericka / Sebastian]

01-03-2019
09:06 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
Rewrite the Stars
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
01-03-2019, 09:06 PM
It's a long way down. [Ericka / Sebastian] [Post #1]
Devil, take my hand...

Following the incidents of Dinner Party here. It is time for a debrief, and Sebastian Strucker has been tasked with it.

Interogation room on the third sub-level.

RULES
* For Ericka & Sebastian initially. Crashing is allowed.
* All GENEsis and Board rules apply.

bury my heart next to yours
01-03-2019
10:36 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Typh (F)
01-03-2019, 10:36 PM
[In-Character] [Post #2]
She sat with her back straight, her ankles crossed, and her hands loosely clasped on the table before her. Debriefing, in an interrogation room. They thought that she was stupid. She bore no signs of an attack save soot smeared across her cheek and neck, a wild sort of disheveled nature to her hair. She had been sure to place herself and Tobias James into positioning that had him appearing to have shielded her from the fallout of the fractured building. He was currently in the mid-levels, the medic department, being assessed and put back together. He had done his job in maintaining her security, it would seem.

The room choice for the follow-up was only mildly unsettling. It was meant for criminals and captives, and she had nearly hesitated when she had been led there and the door opened to reveal the room she was meant for. When she had frowned, the guard assigned to her had informed her that the conference room was ‘occupied’. Fine.

There were about four to six people she reasoned that she would be saddled with for this apparent ‘debriefing’ and she tried to note all the different tactics that it took to circumvent each of them and their questioning formats. There were others, she reasoned, that would be more difficult to build against, but they rarely charged the likes of Kimura with debriefing. Her specialty was…other.

She had work to do, so if anyone thought she was going to sit there quietly and placid-like, they were out of their gourds. Considering the satellite had not informed anyone that their pneumatic portion of the system had been down and her samples and hemolyzed, she had to make her rounds all over again.

It was difficult enough to make the pass the first time, trying to maintain the apathy she sought to weave into her persona.

And then there was the girl.

She was going to need more than a long bath and a bottle of wine once she left the grounds.
01-04-2019
09:02 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
Rewrite the Stars
Administrator
Contributor
01-04-2019, 09:02 PM
[In-Character] [Post #3]
“That geneticist from tonight’s incident.”

Sebastian wanted to growl. He had just waved it off, nodded, had figured what could it hurt. After all, he needed to additional hours. The alimony was eating up most of what he made after all. So as he had been on his way out of the office, someone had baited him and he had taken it. Line, hook and fuckin’ sinker. He would have to teach himself to read the case file first in the future.

“Mr. Strucker…”, someone called out from behind him as he strode down the corridor.
“Why is she in an interrogation room? I am here for a debriefing.”
“The conference room is taken.”
“Bullshit”, he spat out and looked at the younger man running to keep up with his long stride. Sebastian’s eyes kept darting down to the man’s name tag. Joseph Barters. Possibly a junior assistant some new section chief. Poor fellow looked completely out of his depths. Was he doing the room assignment tonight? Because then he had already screwed up.
“She is not cuffed.”
“I certainly hope so. She is one of us.” The rule was plain and simple. Before one assumed the worst, it was the rule to go with a very simple assumption: They always had a good reason, no matter how weird it looked.

And yet, even Sebastian knew that it did not look too good. He had reviewed what footage they had. That all three Summers brothers had been revealed on site and all three had left alive certainly cast a strange light onto the entire affair. And then the small feed the Sentinel had been able to intercept – that paired with the fact that the Troy operative had been programmed to serve the Shiva programme. One of them was pregnant. Most likely Caitlin Frye, which allowed the assumption that the youngest Summers brother was the father.

But what was most important and by now a given constant in all this – every mutant aligned with Gabriel Summers was still here in New York. Somewhere, right under their noses – and they had begun increasing their numbers. By procreation and by breaking mutants out of prisons. They had Psylocke, they had Emma Frost, they had Thor. They had Wolverine and his clone.

And more.

Sebastian shook his head as he pushed open the door.

“Ms. Velez.” He said, as he pulled out his chair, dropped her file onto his table and put his tablet next to it before he sat. Looking up, serious eyes met hers. He pulled air in through his nose as he opened the manila file and started pulling photos out taken by security cameras installed on the roof and part of the incoming Sentinel. He knew they were not airtight but enough to tie a noose around her neck.

“I assume you want to get out of here as quickly as I do. So how about, you tell me a story.” He motioned for the images and laid his forearms down close to the edge of his side of the table.

01-04-2019
10:46 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
01-04-2019, 10:46 PM
[In-Character] [Post #4]
Her lips pursed slightly as she attempted to mentally tick the seconds and minutes by. If she sat there for much longer, there was good chance she was going to let her head settle against the table and take a nap. That was exactly how serious the situation was. She reasoned her arguments, tagged them to names, built each case carefully and accordingly based on individual. Then sat up slightly straighter in anticipation to finally get the fuck out when the door opened.

She exhaled through her nose and briefly looked up at a corner of the ceiling.

Anyone else.

When he dropped the file on the table, she leaned back in her chair, folded her arms, and crossed her legs. Apparently this would take more than three minutes, not that she was going to suffer through the possibility of him bullying an answer out of her. He was a prosecutor, not an interrogator. She wondered if he had it in him to push far enough. If he could and would press and press until it broke her enough to confess some half cobbled story to suit the Services’ preference.

She watched him sit, watched him reach for the button of his jacket before flipping open the envelope. How professional of him. He doled out the selected photos, because she was sure there were plenty enough of them. There had to be some kind of proof, it would look weird to sabotage all of it. Between herself and James, and the mutants that had set foot on that roof, every operative had been executed. Save Morales whom she had managed to clock quickly enough for him to realize anything was truly amiss. She liked Morales, he wasn’t an asshole.

Tell him a story. Which one did he want? Her best thought out rendition, some version of a lie, or a circumvented truth?

“I was sent there with six men, four of which are dead.” That was a safe enough start. “They knew how to listen well enough. The additional number that responded were complete and utter idiots who knew nothing about external operatives and objective.”

She leaned forward to look at the photos offered until she found one with the operative that had arrived with Caitlin Summers. “That one right there, that’s a Troy. Did you know there was some sort of riot related to the last group before the sector was shut down?” She tilted her head to gauge him for little more than a second before her eyes returned to the photos

“Most of the early Trojans,” she rolled her eyes at the idiotic name, “were programmed with near identical objectives.” Shiva. Reconnaissance and retrieval of pregnant mutants. It was just perfect as pie that they altered mutants to do the work for them, used them and the benefit of their mutations to hunt their own. “He was following protocol, and all these other boys thought it a great idea to shoot anything that moved.” There. Take that.
01-05-2019
11:47 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
Rewrite the Stars
Administrator
Contributor
01-05-2019, 11:47 AM
[In-Character] [Post #5]
Sebastian looked up. He did not lean back or cross his arms. As a prosecutor he had developed his own way to handle interviews. Generally, he started out trying to engage the person across from him. Alienating could come later. However, he was well aware of the fact that he was no investigator and that Ericka knew this. While any good lawyer could dig up any and all kind of dirt on anyone, even in court – this was no court. There was no judge, no jury, Ericka was not under oath and he had no case to bring home.

He was on strange territory here. Did debriefing include validating the given story? No, he decided. There were others to do that.

He made himself look up at Ericka, having his problems to return her gaze. Everything about this face was so familiar, and yet, it was equally strange and unknown. There was a whole lot more to Ericka Velez than met the eye. Now here was something she knew he knew. Closing his eyes for a moment, Sebastian forced the spiral in his mind to a stop. This encounter here would do neither of them any good if it raised any kind of flag.

Shooting her a look, Sebastian wondered since when it was okay to come out of any task provided four men short. The Services did provide high-risk employment only. One constantly ran the risk of colliding with the wrong people and ending up in a casket, six feet under. Still, deaths were still being investigated, weren’t they?

Sebastian gazed down at his tablet, the voice recognition programme running and converting speech to text as they went along. A voice recorder would have sufficed, but some IT person with the agency had deemed it so … last century. His eyes followed the words as they appeared on screen, and then with his right index finger he traced groups of some of them, thus highlighting them.

The additional number that responded. Who, and for what reason? No one at the level of the black suits did much of anything without there being an order supplied. But he said nothing for now, allowed Ericka to get her story out in one go. She continued, pointing out an individual identified as Jaxon Walker on the photos and correctly labelled him a Troy. Sebastian nodded when she inquired about the riot. Over half of the subjects in testing at the time had ended up either on the run or dead. Not that the Troy programme ever had that many subjects to begin with.

He could get his mind wrapped around the concept of Jaxon Walker following his protocol but again, all the other boys shooting anything that moved? Something was not adding up. It was like pins and needles in the tips of his fingers and Sebastian had to resist the urge to drum them on the table. It indicated that he was on to something, that there was more here.

Now the question was whether he wanted those details Ericka might be hiding aired for the Services. Sebastian knew quite well what happened with people thrown into the cells of the agencies. Human or mutant – it was a fate he hardly wished on anyone. Hypocrite was what one could call him for thinking like that given the role he played here. It was something he had accepted after his wife had left him. One could not always just pick the cherries on top. To get what was on top, one had to accept all the layers of unhealthy crap underneath.

When she was done for the moment, Sebastian looked up at her and nodded. “Under whose orders were those boys?” he asked, moving certain photos closer to her. It did not look like they were working as a single unit. Conflicting loyalties? If so, then whose loyalty was compromised and to whom had that loyalty been instead?

Then he picked another photograph. The form of a young woman at gun point, and the blurry outline of what he guessed was Gabriel Summers rushing to catch her. “But it’s not just those boys being trigger happy”, he continued, pointing at the gun directed at the girl. “It appears you were in some kind of exchange with the youngest Summers sibling. Care to enlighten me on the details of that exchange?”

Sebastian felt himself caught between the urge to unveil the truth and to protect her. Former was his second nature. It was part of his job. He had helped shed light on the raw power so many mutants possessed and how much danger that could pose to innocent by-standers.

Hypocrite, a small voice whispered in the back of his mind.

01-05-2019
06:33 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
01-05-2019, 06:33 PM
[In-Character] [Post #6]
“I told you that I arrived with six.” She replied when he asked whom the others had been working for. They weren’t hers. She didn’t even like the handful selected for her. It was overkill when she needed James and little more than that. She was a scientist, nothing special, no one in any sort of power. “I have no idea who any of the others were or why they were there.” She tried to not roll her eyes. “Why don’t you ask whoever sits above you.” She wouldn’t miss Matthews and his ridiculously inappropriate comments.

When he drew another photograph out of his convenient pile, she leaned forward just enough to get a look at it. “Was I not supposed to pick up a gun?” He assumed she would rely on the big burly men in black to defend her when half of them were already lying on the ground by that point? She tried not to scowl because that would let her emotions into the exchange. “The mutants on that roof were trying to thwart Walker.” She exhaled as she sat up again. “I assumed it in the best interest of the Services to make every attempt to facilitate his success. I bargained for the girl to buy time for the inbound Sentinel.” She held up her wrist with the bracelet that notified her of incoming operatives, messages, everything the Services could think one needed to be aware of when ‘in the field’.

“I was alone on a rooftop with one operative meant to keep me alive, an asset attempting to complete a mission, and half a dozen mutants. What was I supposed to do, Sebastian, defend myself with test tubes and pens?” That would have been stellar, granted, she could actually hit targets with just about anything she could get her hands on, and pens were plenty pointy. That wasn’t the point. The point was that she had acted as neutrally as she could have managed. She had known there would be visual proof of what transpired and she had had to make a choice. She had made attempts to thwart her own men from attacking Gabriel and inciting something that would have ended up far more damaging, and she had made the choice to shoot a human to stabilize the asset and keep up appearances that she was willing to defend herself against mutants and accomplices.

And of all the humans in the damned forsaken world, it had to be Elise. She’d done such an amazing job heeding the instruction to disappear.

“I wasn’t even supposed to be there.” She added, looking down at his offered shreds of proof. “I had no morning test results, so I phoned the lab to ask about the delay, when they informed me that their portion of the pneumatic system was disabled and they had failed to inform anyone of it.” And she was still pushing to shut it down. It was too remote, too far into the downtown area, too close to locales she preferred it not to be. “Half a day wasted that snow balled into an entire day, that ended up with me here. If I hadn’t been there because of their lack of communication, I would have never been on that rooftop, and I wouldn’t be sitting here now.”
01-05-2019
09:39 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
Rewrite the Stars
Administrator
Contributor
01-05-2019, 09:39 PM
[In-Character] [Post #7]
Sebastian once more let her get her share of words out. He has asked for a story, and once a witness began talking it was a good idea to just let them go at it. Often enough they ended up spinning the noose they would eventually hang themselves with. Though, he reminded himself, this was not what he was after. He did not need a confession, just a story that would hold up against any kind of probing the agent following up on his report would do.

And yet, he could not shake the feeling that there was part of the story he was not seeing. Sebastian trusted his gut instinct when it came to his work. It had never failed him. What made it worse, though, was that it was Ericka. What was she hiding … and what had he not known back when … He exhaled through his nose, drew his shoulders back and sat up a little straighter. He needed to focus.

Pneumonic system. Sebastian market the words and drew a connection to his own question on the surface of the tablet. Marking latter as the response to former. He gazed back up, looking into terribly familiar eyes. “You sure, that’s it?” he eventually asked, exhaling with a bit of exasperation. He did not enjoy this. Seeing her again after all this time like this? He sat back, bringing his right hand up to rub against his left shoulder. He had received his suppressant shot this morning. The injection site would be sore for another two or three days.

Pressing his lips into a thin line, he let his eyes wander across her face, tracing the lines of dirt and soot and taking in the sight of her hair in disarray. Still, her appearance had much of the same effect as it had once had on him. He pulled the tablet to him, his the ‘Complete’ button at the top right corner of the screen and thus ended the official interview for now.

Then he leaned forward. “You being up on that roof might raise flags”, Sebastian said, his voice low. “Might already have”, he amended. He pushed his elbows out, forearms on the table and his fingers interlocked. He gazed up at her. “You work in a lab, and then you’re suddenly in the middle of a gun fight with not a single mutant to show for … they all get away after you chat up what is probably one of the most wanted fugitives right now.” Sebastian paused for effect. “He levelled a building.” And the both of them knew that Gabriel Summers would have not needed the help of his brothers to complete it.

He sat up, re-initiated the programme on the tablet, and held down the small mic button. “Confirmation of Alexander Summers and Scott Summers being alive and their powers working. Requesting update of Summers case files to mirror new status.” He let go of the button, closing the report in progress again.

Sebastian hoped that this would be enough to gloss over any parts of Ericka’s story that did not sound as plausible as she would have liked.

01-06-2019
05:02 AM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
01-06-2019, 05:02 AM
[In-Character] [Post #8]
Was that all. What more was he hoping for? Rather than biting back, she kept her mouth shut, kept her teeth pressed together to keep from adding anything that could potentially offset anything she had already said to him. It was enough that she had addressed him by name, that was acceptable. If he continued to prod her, her irritation would potentially push to the surface and she was sure the Services would have a grand time with everything she wanted to say to him.

She watched him sit back, sit himself up a bit straighter, then reach a hand towards his left shoulder. That was not the first time she had ever witnessed the motion, but she had never pried enough to inquire about an injury. If there had ever been one, it was older, potentially called to order under duress. She hadn’t ever asked then, and she wasn’t about to ask now. That would open up a channel to familiarity she wasn’t looking to breach at the moment. Not when she was being scrutinized.

He let his gaze slide away from her eyes and along the side of her face, and she kept herself still. No motion to stir anything else up besides the rhythmic rise and fall of her chest as she breathed. He could try to find whatever he wanted.

His focus shifted to his tablet and he submitted whatever bit of recording he had taken, giving her the opportunity to look elsewhere and she decided on the door. She wanted out.

When he leaned forward, he once more took hold of her attention, setting his forearms on the table and she waited for him to add an unofficial addendum to whatever junction he had reached. Sure, of course it would raise flags. Her type wasn’t supposed to be ballsy enough to put themselves up on a roof.

“My team responded to the sound of impact. James didn’t like leaving me alone.” She deflected with both care and ease. She almost smirked at the thought of James having been the one to insist that she remain behind, and she would have to tell him about it later. Line their stories up accordingly. At least he wasn’t stupid, he would likely put it together all on his own if they had sent anyone like Sebastian in to grill him for his side. He was rather neutral with his ‘I go where she goes, she goes where I go’ bit.

“Coincidence.” Was all she offered in regard to him trying to place her with Gabriel Summers, because in all honesty, that was exactly what it had been. As she had said before, under normal circumstances, she would have never even been there. How it would have played out differently, if at all, she still wondered about. Wondered if the Troy would have been successful, wondered if the building would have sustained further damage, wondered if any mutant there would have been executed by the Sentinel responding to their presence and spikes in energy reads.

He activated his tablet again and noted Alex and Scott being present and confirming their living statuses, along with referencing their power tables active. Great. The fuck got into their minds to think they could or should ever show up in the same place at the same time. She could understand Gabriel responding to Caitlin’s abduction, potentially Scott in tow. Alexander Summers’ resurrection was still just rumor without confirmation and the dumbass had given it right to them.

“Are we done?” She finally put forth the question pounding away in her head. “Because I have a bath to get to, wine to drink, and Outlander to catch up on.” She tapped her foot in the air. “And dinner to pick up.” Bolognese, but he didn’t need to know that. “And I’m sure you have plenty of very important legal things to do yourself. Papers to sign, other people to interrogate.”
01-06-2019
01:42 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
Rewrite the Stars
Administrator
Contributor
01-06-2019, 01:42 PM
[In-Character] [Post #9]
It all sounded a little too good to Sebastian. The pieces fit together like they should. For anyone none the wiser, there was no reason to doubt her story. He gazed down at the data the programme had recorded, the pieces of information he had highlighted and the notes he had added. It did look a lot like the reports he would sometimes receive from the people who normally did debriefings and thus raised information he would then find useful in building a case against the latest poor sod they had in holding.

So why was he still looking for the misaligned piece? Was it the story itself? Or was it Ericka making him doubt his own abilities? Sebastian had no answer for that and decided to avoid the risk of making a fuss over a whole lot of nothing to just finish this thing up and thus allow the both of them to go home.

When Ericka prompted him about whether they were done, Sebastian nodded, then looked at the wristband of hers and pointed at it. “I’m going to have to hold on to that.” Those little gadgets did record quite a number of things. They were not solely for receiving information or new appointments.

He quirked an eyebrow. “Outlander? Really?” She could pick whether it was just curiosity about her choice of TV shows or a judgment on the show itself. Sebastian did not really have an opinion on it. Apparently a lot of people watched it. He was not one of them. Other than that he just nodded. Of course he had plenty of things to do. Important! Like leave and return to an empty apartment that still did not hold much more than a bed, a couch and a TV along with the fully furnished kitchen he had not used once in the six months he had lived there.

But before he went home, he would stop by at a certain pub for a drink or two. Not for sentiment. Just that he had not been there in a long time, and seeing Ericka tonight somewhat brought forth the memory.

Sebastian stood, collected his things all onto the manila folder neatly and put the powered down tablet on top. He looked at Ericka for a moment, biting the insides of his cheeks. He was not sure what he wanted to say or whether there was even anything to say. Things had happened. They both had made choices, good and bad. And that was that. He swallowed, then did have one thing he wished to put forth.

“I’d have turned down this assignment had I checked the name …” Then he turned around and strode for the door. Ericka could make of this whatever she wanted. She had a mind of her own as it was. Sebastian turned down to the left of the hallway, to the elevator that would take him up and to his office. As one of the employees working in the legal sector, Sebastian actually had an office above the ground.

It took his the better part of fifteen minutes to reach it. He transferred the logfile he had created to the local server and then put the photos and manila folder back into an envelope. Sealing it, he scribbled the process number into the top right so the information could be properly forwarded and later archived. Then he dropped into the chair behind his desk. It was dark outside, and it looked like New York might be in for a bit of rain before the night was over.

He sighed, trying to not to think. Once he began thinking, his mind would race back to when … and that was never a good thing. So instead, Sebastian got back up. He retrieved his clothing from one of the closets and locked his office door. While he wore suit and tie at work as a rule, that kind of style was not what he wore in private. He donned tan slacks and a black polo shirt. His dress shoes went back into the closet and were exchanges for slightly more comfortable ones.

Then he grabbed his keys, key card, wallet and phone from the closet’s top shelf and put on his jacket. He checked his pocket for his car keys, but decided he would walk instead. The bar he was headed for was not far – and he would require a cab to get home subsequently. So leaving the car in the compound’s parking lot was probably a decent idea.

Stepping out he locked the door using his key card, then punched out as he left the building.

It took him another twenty minutes before Sebastian was finally sitting at the bar he had had in mind. He contemplated ordering Bolognese but opted for whiskey neat instead. Food was just not what he needed right now. Then again, neither was whiskey. What he needed was quite likely a kick to the head and then some subsequent insomnia. Why had he even chosen this darned place after tonight? Was it not here where the end of his life as he had known it had begun?

He had met Ericka in her lab for the first time. But after that, it was here where their paths crossed again.

As the red-headed bartender set down the glass on a napkin in front of him, he offered her a nod as thanks. Sebastian picked up the tumbler and moved the glass in a small circular motion for a moment. He had been in New York for six months now. And it had taken this long for their paths to cross. So it was not exactly like she had sought him out either. If Sebastian had cared to check the darned case file earlier, they would not even have met.

He exhaled through his nose, forcing himself to just accept his darned fate for once. He had tried to fight it before, and he has lost pretty much everything over it.

To that I drink, he thought as he lifted the glass and then tipped some of the contents back, past his lips and onto his tongue.

01-06-2019
09:12 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
01-06-2019, 09:12 PM
[In-Character] [Post #10]
He looked at her wrist and she wanted to draw it back against herself, but his indication was for the bracelet. Perfect, then, no one would be able to fully track her until it was returned. She slipped it from her arm and pushed it across the table.

She didn’t comment in response to his questioning her choice of programming. He could think what he wanted, but the neutrality in his tone hadn’t given away if he was just posing a question or if he was commenting on it, so there was no point baiting him into explaining himself. That would just keep them in the room longer that was already necessary.

When he stood, she remained in her seat and watched him gather his photos and folder and tablet, watched him slip her bracelet into his pocket before he straightened himself. Then he looked at her and she simply met his gaze. The questioning was over, so she wasn’t sure what else he was looking for. Some tell or fidget of discomfort, some desire to break the story she had told and unfold something different? The story was as it had happened. He hadn’t asked what had been said between herself and Gabriel so she had not had to organize her thoughts around it.

Instead of pressing further, he offered some comment about how he would have turned down her as an assignment if he would have just read her name form the file first. Of course he would have. He had made it rather clear about how not with or near her that he had had to be. She watched him leave, noted the door left half open, and then she counted out two minutes before she pushed herself up from the chair.

The walk to her main lab was short enough, down another level, it was quieter at the current hour. Her wandering mind, however, seemed to have doubled the length of her trek by taking the stairs to allot her the opportunity to rehash everything she had said. Only Michelle and David remained, and they were far too focused on whatever they were doing to even comment on her presence. She slipped out of the white coat, hung it neck to her black lab coat. She disappeared into her tiny office and unbuttoned the suit jacket and tossed it over her desk chair before picking up the black leather jacket form her desk and donning it. She stepped out f her navy heels back by the door and slipped into the ankle boots.

She had put her order in on her way into work and that had been hours ago. The extra detainment time allotted for, her food had probably been sitting on the bartop for over an hour already. It took enough time as it was to shut everything down and exit the building. Hailing a cab took longer than anticipated, and it deposited her outside the club while her stomach was grumbling out its dissatisfaction over not having been fed in quite some time.

He drew her phone out of her purse to scan news pages, searching for any mention of the lab’s destruction, and was glad to so far find nothing. It wasn’t unusual for the Services to cover a loss up. She pushed the door open with her hip and the sound of At Last by Etta James had her ears perked up. Stepping down the pair of steps to the bar, she smiled at the redhead who winced at her arrival.

“Ericka, we’re training a new kid today and he sort of…burnt the tomatoes and onions earlier.” She said without anything else offered first.

“Okay?” She offered her a smile that was meant to convey that it was fine. “So what am I looking at?”

The girl bit at her lip as though she were weighing the option of giving her a direct answer or not. “Mario wanted the sauce to be just right, you know how he gets.”

“Yes, I understand.” She drew the word out.

Then the redhead reached for a glass, poured her a Captain and Dr. Pepper. “I swear it will be out soon.” She tried to smile again. “At least your friend is here to talk to.” She gestured towards the other end of the bar.

She exhaled through her nose when she locked onto Sebastian. This was her bar. She offered the bartender a tight lipped smile and wrapped her fingers around the glass. When she disappeared into the back kitchen, Ericka took a sip of the drink, realizing it had been overloaded with alcohol, she reached across the bar and poured some of the contents down the drain before reaching for the soda faucet and adding more Dr. Pepper. Aaand a maraschino cherry just for fun.

“So would you have turned down the bar if you’d read the name?” She asked him, raising her voice just loud enough, then scooted herself back down onto her feet.