Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [Other] Easy To Lie [Nate / Eva]

03-13-2019
05:42 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
03-13-2019, 05:42 PM
[In-Character] [Post #61]
He apologised, and it seemed that he was doing a lot of that around her. “It didn’t sound like you were making fun of it.” She told him, watching how he lifted their hands and placed a kiss on the back of her hand. It tingled, and she smiled because of it. She liked how his lips had felt against her skin, it brought back a few memories and she had to push them back.

“So am I.” She told him when he said he was glad that she was fighting. What else was she supposed to do? Especially when there was still so much worth living for. She saw him looking at the door behind her and Eva could see the urge in his eyes for more questions, for more things to say. She could also tell that he was hesitating.

Turning, she kept a hold on his hand and tugged him along. “Come on. Let’s go see that garden.”

Pushing the door open, she did not expect to see a full-grown garden. Trees, bushes, flowers… There was even a stone path that lead from the door into the garden. This Lin girl had been doing quite her best. Flowers were blooming, and it even smelled like you were outdoors.

“This is amazing.” She breathed out, looking around, a smile curling up on her lips.

“I think there are birds in here too.” She whispered in surprise, clearly hearing the chitter of birds. It was like a real garden, a real proper garden. Looking up she could see the sky, a dome covered the whole room, and it was a big room.

She took a step forward, still looking up because her eye had caught a small flock of birds flying from tree to tree and chirping away. Her smile widened, letting out a happy sigh.

This was so much better than sitting in a dark room and crying her eyes out.
11:46 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
03-15-2019, 11:46 AM
[In-Character] [Post #62]
Then they were inside that garden – and it was safe to say that it was not what Nathan had expected. This was more like a proper botanical garden, than the small backyard-style venue he had thought they would come to. His lips split and open-mouthed, he let his gaze wander ahead and upwards. It was a sight for sore eyes to say the least. How ingenious, he thought. When the residents of the theatre could not go outside, they would simply bring the outside here. Nathan smiled.

His gaze wandered to Eva, who was equally surprised and overwhelmed by the sight. And then, just as she said it, even birds showed themselves, bringing this place to life on yet a whole other level yet. She stepped forward, and Nathan let go of her hand. Instead he stepped up to stand just behind her. “Next time, we should bring the sandwiches here and have a picnic.”

Nathan looked ahead, spotting something ahead of them through a bunch of trees. “Look”, he said, pointing the finger, his arm right next to Eva’s head.

There, beyond the green was a wild array of colours shining through. “Are those flowers?” he asked when stepping ahead of Eva, picking up a slow jog as he headed along the small stone path. It described a half circle around a tree with a trunk wide enough to fit four of his size. Then eventually it led onto a small clearing, framed with flowers in every colour under the sun.

“This is amazing”, he murmured, turning around and waiting for Eva to catch up.

bury my heart next to yours
03-15-2019
01:01 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
03-15-2019, 01:01 PM
[In-Character] [Post #63]
Eva could feel him stepping up behind her, acutely aware of his body near hers, and his words brought a smile to her lips. “Yes, we should.” Because she liked having picnics, and having one with him sound like a very good idea. She was certain that more of the people living here were having picnics in this gorgeous garden, they just had to time it so that they wouldn’t be interrupted. Although she got a feeling that Lin, the creator of this garden had her own way to give people their privacy.

The warmth of his arm brushed her cheek, his finger pointing at each what lay ahead of them. He prompted her to look and she narrowed her gaze to do so.

Eva spotted the colours and started to nod at his question. “I think they are.” She told him, watching him step around her and jogging ahead. A smile bloomed on her lips and she followed him in her own unhurried pace.

The path took her around a very large tree, where only moment ago Nathan had disappeared behind. She finally caught up to him, stepping into the small clearing that exploded with colours. Different kinds of flowers were calling up to her and she smiled at the sight.

“This is gorgeous.” She commented, looking around and then settling her eyes on Nathan who stood in the middle of the small clearing. Her breath caught, the sun hitting him just right and framed his face in a way that just stole her breath away. He was so handsome, and the flutter in her stomach lit up like a flame.

“I’m glad you’re here with me.” She spoke up, smiling, and feeling just the slightest hint of the happiness she thought she had lost so many years ago.
08:00 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
03-17-2019, 08:00 PM
[In-Character] [Post #64]
A number of people would insist that Nathan could at times be dense when women were involved. First and foremost, probably his sister. And yet, he was not blind. So he could very much see that look on Eva’s face. It was loaded with emotion. There was a moment here, and part of him wished he had access to what it was she saw.

Her smile was a beam of light and he was very much aware of she was the center of this very moment. Nathan breathed deeply, trying to once more do what he had tried to do over and over and over in the past week. He tried to gauge his emotions for her. He stepped closer, his form larger than her tall one still. But not by too much. For once he was not a giant, dwarfing a woman. He liked that.

Another step towards Eva.

“I miss you when you’re not in the room”, he pushed out, his body turning towards hers. And yet, his eyes went above her head and his gaze sought out the flowers growing there. “But I’ve not been not in love with … her for so long that I …” Nathan didn’t trust himself. Especially since Eva had come to him wearing the face of his ex-girlfriend.

“You deserve better than …”, he started, wondering what exactly he was trying to say. “Than me still being hung up on Carol and not realising it.” Was he making sense?

“I can’t be the one to hurt you more after … after what you went through.” It sounded so strangely weak when he said it out loud. Was he not finding the right words or was it really just an excuse for never really trying it? Had it not been Eva whom he had been thinking of these past seven days rather than Carol? He had wondered what Eva had been up to, how she felt, what she was up to… and at times, he had stood in the shadow somewhere trying to steal a glimpse of her.

“I never stood up a girl before …”, he eventually added. “I’ll never do it again.”

03-17-2019
11:03 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
03-17-2019, 11:03 PM
[In-Character] [Post #65]
Eva knew that she should guard her heart better when it came to this man. He was still in love with his ex-girlfriend, and she didn’t know if she even made a chance with him. He had avoided her all week, and now… now he had asked to spend the day with her and she had gladly said yes.

She watched him take a step closer to her, and she wondered what he was thinking in that moment. Another step closer to her, his words surprising her. Because if he had missed her, why had he avoided her? It confused her, a lot. Because if you missed someone you usually didn’t ignore them.

And that’s what he had been doing.

But his explanation, it tugged at her heart. She wasn’t sure what he wanted her to say, so she pushed her hands in the back pockets of her jeans and just watched him. Clearly, he wasn’t done talking anyway.

So, she deserved better than him still being hung up on Carol? She wanted to call his bullshit but kept her mouth shut. Mostly because she didn’t want to fall into repeat. How could he not see that she wanted him? That what she had gone through, had not stopped her. She knew that she had one advantage over him, and that was that she had seen him for him. All he had seen in those weeks was Carol.

But she wasn’t Carol now. Ever since their escape, she had worn her own face.

Eva narrowed her gaze on him when he added that he had never stood up a girl before, and that he would never do it again. She believed him. She gave him a single nod in acceptance.

She let out a deep sigh then and just shook her head. “Why are you assuming that you’ll hurt me?” Eva asked wondering. “And what I went through, you can’t use that as an excuse and let it come between…” She lifted a hand from her pocket and moved it between them. “… whatever this is.” Because she was not stupid, there was something between them.

“You are not to blame for whatever happened in there with me. I don’t see it like that, so why should you?” She tipped her head to the side a little, looking at him in question.

“I’m not asking for you undying love on the spot, Nathan…” She told him softly. “I’m just asking for a chance to get to know you.”
11:20 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
03-22-2019, 11:20 AM
[In-Character] [Post #66]
Eva was not buying what he was putting forth. Nathan found himself gazing down at her with curiosity. Who was this woman that had gone through hell and came out on the other side, more whole than he was? Her question was a somewhat pointed one. So did he assume that? Maybe? Because Nathan had to admit that he was not exactly sure how to love anyone not Carol anymore. In hindsight, it felt like he had not done anything else in over fifteen years.

He exhaled with a huff. Then Eva went on. Was he doing that? Was he using her own trauma as a shield for himself? And yet, Nathan knew that her being used in such a manner would weigh on him. No matter in what capacity he had been involved. The part of his mind that was still a cop and probably would always be one, he did have very clear terms for what she had been forced to do. Basically prostituting herself. Nathan was just not the kind of man to easily pawn off responsibility – even if he was beginning to understand that he barely could have done anything.

Whatever this is.

Her words, not his. It did somewhat take the pressure off a little bit. Was that what he had been worried about? To go straight from cell buddies to lovers? To be expected to just keep going? Though, now that he considered it, he was not exactly sure what would have been all that bad about it. Nathan knew there was something here between them.

Again Eva noted that what had happened to her had not been his fault. Alright, maybe he ought to try accepting the idea instead of continuing to fight against it. Eva tilted her head, and Nathan let his eyes roam across her features. The gentle lines of the high cheekbones and the enigmatic smile on her lips were features he was already strangely familiar with.

She went on, telling him point-blanc that it was not undying love she was seeking from him. Just a chance to get to know you. Nathan smiled at that, a somewhat sheepish expression as he dropped his head and gaze for a moment before looking back up at her. Was that what had had his mind go in circles? The idea that something along the lines of what had connected him to Carol needed to come out of whatever Eva and him had? Nathan was not sure whether his heart was even capable of building such a bond again. Then again, even Carol and him had not just plopped into existence over night. Long hours and months, going through crises together, spending time with one another, getting to know one another. That had made them.

Nathan sucked air in through his nose, nodding. Several times. Yes, yes … he could do this. He could give her the chance, give them the chance. He could invest patience and time to find out who Eva really was, and who she could be to him.

“Okay, Eva Bell”, he said, a small smile playing on his lips. “Let’s get to know one another. My name is Nathaniel Harper Coleman. Harper was my paternal grandfather … it’s not just my mother trying to be cruel. I’m a capricorn, a pilot, a cop and a mutant.” Geez, it still felt odd to be saying that. “I am not a person without coffee in the morning, I do empower the cliché of cops loving donuts … and I think whoever thought putting pineapple on a pizza should be prosecuted for idiocy and cruelty.” He chuckled, his grin widening as he looked down into Eva’s mesmerising eyes.

03-22-2019
01:18 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
03-22-2019, 01:18 PM
[In-Character] [Post #67]
Eva watched his reaction, waited to see what he would say to her words. She could handle rejection, if he didn’t want to spend time then she could live with that. Well, no, she would actually not be okay with that. Because he might not have seen the real her in there, but she had gotten glimpses of the him when he wasn’t drugged up. And she had very much liked what she had seen.

So, she wouldn’t back down that easily. That was not who she was.

But he nodded, so did that mean he was agreeing with her? He would give them a chance? Or see where it would go? Even if it meant only to be friends. She could have peace with that, but she wanted him to try. Just try.

Taking in a deep breath, she looked up at him, her name rolling from his lips… lips that were now curling up in a small smile. And then he said the magic words.

Let’s get to know one another.

Her heart skipped a beat, a smile of her own tugging at her lips as she listened to him introducing himself with his full name. Explaining how he ended up with Harper as a middle name and she couldn’t help but softly laugh a little. “I like it.” She told him with a smile. He continued, her noting down that he needed his coffee first in the morning, and how he apparently loved donuts.

“Amen to that.” She grinned when he finished declaring pineapple on pizza to be cruel and idiotic.

“Well…” She started. “I’m Eva Bell. Nothing fancy in the naming department.” She gave him a wider grin. “I’m an Aquarius and a mutant. I Did not have really time to follow a career path in the past ten years, but who knows what will come my way.” Because she was now free, and she could go do her own thing. Figure herself out.

Shoving her hand in her jeans pocket she pulled out a folded sheet and held it up between them. “And I made a list of all the items in the pantry I want to eat in the upcoming days, because I missed eating them.”
09:55 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
03-22-2019, 09:55 PM
[In-Character] [Post #68]
Nathan’s gaze dropped down as Eva held out the piece of paper between them. She had made a list, of all the things she wanted to eat. This made him smile, and his eyes slipped from her lips to her eyes, to the paper and back. Then he reached for it, but stopped just before his fingers would touch the paper. “May I?” he asked, waiting for her confirmation.

When Eva provided it, he took the paper from between her thumb and forefinger and carefully unfolded it.

“M&Ms” he read out loud. “I like the peanut ones, but the pure chocolate are the best if you ask me.” Then something occurred to him. “How far are you in the list?” Eva counted off the M&M’s, Oreo Cookies and pickles. Nathan smiled at that, he had been there for the pickles. Then he continued reading, smiling at each time pickles came up.

“I have an idea”, he said, slowly folding the paper back to its original form and handing it back to Eva. Then he took her hand and led her out of the garden.

It took them about five more minutes to get dressed according to the weather and then they were out of the theatre. Nathan had donned a beanie, a jacket with a high collar and even put on a scarf. Just two blocks further was a small market hall selling fresh produce. A gloved hand found Eva’s and he took it as he led her into the hall. He went directly for a vendor in particular. Just a few days ago, Nathan had gotten some mangos and the best passion fruit he had ever eaten from there. But he remembered that the man sold more than just that.

“A pound of peaches, please” Nathan said and the man went picking out the best exemplars for him. Nathan paid the man with a generous tip and then turned around, small bag in hand. He fished a single fruit out from the bag and held it out to her.

“Peach”, he said. “On your list.”

Then he took out one for himself. “If they’re half as sweet and ripe as the mango this guy sells, they’ll be divine”, he said and then bit into the fruit he held. A small sound of Mmmmmh escaped him as he let the fruit’s juice run down his throat. He bit a second mouthful out of it and began chewing.

“What do you think”, he asked?

03-23-2019
05:19 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
03-23-2019, 05:19 PM
[In-Character] [Post #69]
Eva watched him reach for the paper, but he halted, supplying the question first if it was alright and waited for her answer. She just nodded that it was okay if he took it, she had no secrets for him. So, why was she getting nervous when he unfolded that piece of paper? Maybe because it was kind of silly to have made a list to begin with?

He started to read out loud, and she couldn’t help but smile. “The solid ones are okay, but peanut is better.” She told him. Then he asked her how far she was on the list. “Eeeh, well, the M&Ms were one of the firsts, then pickles, Oreo Cookies, more pickles. Kinda got stuck on the pickles.” She said grinning.

Nathan continued her list, and now she actually started to feel slightly hungry.

“You do?” She asked, when he declared to have an idea. She took her list back and let him lead her out of the garden, when he had taken her hand. Eva liked that. A lot.

Apparently they needed coats, gloves and scarfs, she even planted a beanie on her head just like Nathan. They looked ready for the cold, and she couldn’t help but smile some more. She had no idea where they were going, and when he took her hand again, they entered a small market hall. It was bustling, and she let out a content sigh. Finally something normal.

Nathan pulled her along, until she saw him heading for a vendor who was selling fresh fruits.

Curious as to what he was going to buy, she stood back when he purchased something she couldn’t quite catch. So, when he turned around, fished out a peach and held it out to her… Eva was stunned for a moment. She took it from him, a smile slowly spreading on her lips until she was beaming.

He had bought her peaches. Because it had been on her list.

Eva watched him, heard him say something about how if they’re half as sweet and ripe as the mango the man sold, they should be divine. She just nodded, took a bite herself and sighed happily when the rich flavour of the peach hit the back of her throat. This was divine.

“Thank you.” She told him, smiling up at him, and taking another bite. They were just perfect, not too hard and not too soft. Just the way she liked them.

“You know, if you have the patience, I could make you a peach cobbler.” She offered up, because Eva liked to bake. Or used too. She had been trying to find the right thing to make, to ease back into it and baking something for him sounded like a perfect plan.
09:15 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
03-24-2019, 09:15 AM
[In-Character] [Post #70]
Nathan smiled around a mouthful of peach when she thanked him. That smile on her face was something, he decided. And he realised that he had not ever seen this expression on her face before. Right now, there was no shadow of apprehension. Not the additional lines of worry – about whether a guard would come around the corner, or Lang was lurking in the shadows. They were gone, and in their wake remained the beauty of a woman who had seen incredibly dark times. A woman who had prevailed.

He nodded. You’re welcome.

Then she surprised him. Nathan’s eyebrows inched up just a little. Peach cobbler. He could not remember when he had last had one. “You know how to bake?” he asked her eventually when he had emptied his mouth. He did not want Carol to pop up in his mind but Nathan could not quite prevent it. With her came the realisation that during most of his relationships in life he had done the cooking. Carol would have managed to burn water. And Typhany just had not much cared for busying herself in the kitchen.

“I have so much patience”, he said, one corner of his mouth lifting higher in a crooked little grin that showed a smidge of the white of his teeth.

“What else do you need for it?” he asked, then gazed down into the small plastic bag now hanging from his wrist. “There’s four left in here. Should we get more?” He threw a glance back at the vendor. “We should totally pick up some mangos, too.”

“Sugar, flour, butter?” he ticked off possible ingredients, weighing the chances of that being available in the kitchen. Then his attention shifted back to Eva and he let his eyes roam across her face as he inched closer to her just a little. “So you would bake for me?” he asked eventually, mesmerised at the idea. He had stood her up, had evaded her like the plague for a week and yet, she was here with him, offering to this for him. Something so seemingly mundane and normal, but something very special to him.