Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [Other] Easy To Lie [Nate / Eva]

03-01-2019
01:18 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
03-01-2019, 01:18 PM
[In-Character] [Post #21]
It was amusing to see Nathan Coleman putting in a demand. Did he honestly think he had a position to bargain with Steven? It was funny that they all thought he was that kind of guy. Steven didn’t bargain. Never.

Steven just looked at Coleman, and his feeble attempt to make sure that Eva wouldn’t be harmed in any way. By anyone. So, he had started to care about that whore? That was interesting because did that mean the illusion hadn’t worked that well? Or had she not been studying the mannerisms of Carol and had that given her away? He had to review the footage later and see where he had gone wrong.

“You’re right, you are my guinea pig.” He stared at Coleman coldly. Signalling for three of the guards to move in on Coleman, holding their guns on him.

“You think that I need your cooperation?” He snapped his fingers and he heard rustling behind him. Eva started to struggle, the one remaining guard holding her pushed her against the reinforced glass wall, face first so she was looking insde. It was fortunate that she was still half naked. Because what would come next would make Coleman see that bargaining with him wouldn’t work.

He turned to look at the guard still holding her, giving him a silent signal to do as discussed. The man moved behind Eva, pinning her forcefully against the wall and it was fortunate that she was still half naked.

Steven looked back at Nathan. “Your sister acted much the same way.” He told Nathan. “I got what I wanted out of her as well.” The noises behind him brought a chilling pleasure to his black soul. Eva was screaming, struggling and yelling not to be touched. It brought back memories and a cruel smile crept on his lips.

He held up his hand as a signal for the guard to stop before he could do more than just touch her.

“You three, take him. We could have done this slowly. Give it time, a couple of weeks even. But I don’t respond well to demands. You should know that by now. Payment up front I think…” Steven stepped back, as the two of the guards grabbed Nathan in a crushing hold. Then he moved forward, just close enough to deliver his next words in a whisper.

“And all that for a little whore who’s been entertaining the guards for the last decade … they broke her in well, didn’t they?” He smirked, signalling the guards to take Nathan away. It was time to start the next round of the experiment.

Stepping out of the cell he looked at the guard who was holding Eva. “Toss her back in his cell.” The guard didn’t hesitate and tossed Eva back in the cell, locking the door behind her.
01:38 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
03-01-2019, 01:38 PM
[In-Character] [Post #22]
Never before had anyone pushed his buttons the way Steven Lang could. Nathan didn’t doubt that the man was probably overjoyed to finally have the annoying NYPD lieutenant in a cell, far from where Nathan could continue messing with Lang’s work. Nathan had had his speculations but the truth of it was … so much worse, so much more deranged. He knew that if he was to ever make it out alive of this place, he would make it his mission in life to bring down Steven Lang once and for all.

And yet, Nathan had a lot to learn, he realised. With a flick of his hand, suddenly three guards moved, and the next thing he knew was that he had three guns trained directly on his head. Another sign and what he saw made every muscle in his body tense up. His upper body was moving involuntarily as he tried to continue to breathe. His jaw protruded when the fourth guard was pushing her up against the wall from the outside. A small shake of his head – then nothing but cold white hatred for Steven Lang.

Lang made it a point to ensure him that he wouldn’t need Nathan’s cooperation. Bile rose from his throat as he found himself forced to watch. What Lang said next let Nathan’s blood freeze in his veins for a moment. There was the hint of a forward motion, but one of the barrel’s was shoved against the side of his head forcefully. Nathan’s motion seized before it could really begin.

“Jenna”, it broke out of him, and for a moment Nathan worried that he would just black out. Carol. Jenna. Eva. Lang had not consideration for women – for anyone. They were all lab rats to him. He watched Eva struggle against the guard’s advancements. It sickened him to the stomach. The only relief here was that the guard’s pants were still zipped up and on his hips.

Another signal. The guard stopped. Nathan let out a breath – there was a bit of relief. Then the guards’ hold on him fastened, and Nathan gave a nod. He was resigning himself to what would happen next. Eva would not be tortured. So Nathan would have to pay up instead. They dragged him forward, pausing for just a moment as Steven stepped closer. His words made Nathan yank against the hold on him violently. He was rewarded with a sharp jab to the temple and his lights went out.

He did not see when Eva was thrown back into the cell, the door locked behind her.

Nathan did have no means to tell how much time had passed. It had felt like two days, rather than five hours. Much of that time lay in a dark haze. They had once more shot him up with the substance. But this time, they had not just let it run its course. He had ended up strapped to a table, tubes and cables running in and out of him.

His lower arms were on fire now. Sore up to the elbows. His left eye was swollen shut. His throat was raw from when they had shoved cables and tubes down his throat for god knew what reason. His own body barely felt like his own – like his blood had been switched out for something else completely.

Two men were dragging him along the empty floors, his feet dragging behind him as Nathan was utterly unable to stand or support himself. Drool was running from one corner of his mouth and he could not open his eyelids to see more than blurry outlines.

“Surprised the guy is still alive.” One of the guards said.
“Never seen Lang put anyone through so much so fast.”
“You think he’s gonna die?”
“Maybe?”

An air lock door shifted open, and next thing Nathan knew was that he found himself on a cold floor. He couldn’t move. “Eva?” he pushed out hardly able to understand himself. Was this their cell? Had they taken him somewhere else? Part of him just wanted to cry. He wanted to give in to despair, cry at the pain and the places in which he felt it… and surrender.

Maybe it would all stop if he just surrendered.

bury my heart next to yours
03-01-2019
02:16 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
03-01-2019, 02:16 PM
[In-Character] [Post #23]
Eva sat in the corner of the cell she had been sharing with Nathan, the worry for him had been growing over time. Hours had passed and she hadn’t seen anybody. No one had come to see her, or pay her any attention. She had been yelling at the cameras, demanding answers and what was going on with Nathan.

Nothing.

Silence. And it ate at her. She sat on the mattress knees pulled up, biting on the nail of her thumb. Hell, she had at least expected Steven to show up at some point to give her the punishment he had promised her.

Nothing again.

It was frustrating.

And then… she heard noises and pushed herself up from the floor. Two figures showed up and they were dragging a third in the middle. Her heart leaped out of her chest. It was Nathan. And he looked like death warmed over. She stepped back when the door to the cell opened and they tossed him inside without a care.

She snarled at them but they had the door closed already and she dove towards Nathan who had been calling out her name. Eva, not Carol.

“I’m here.” She said, her hands hovering over him. Not daring to touch him because she could see the bruises on his arms and she wanted to scream for different reasons now.

“Sssh, I’m here Nathan.” She lowered herself to the ground, putting her face next to his on the floor. Her fingers coming up to his forehead and trailing his fingers gently from there to his temple and then towards his ear.

“What did he do to you?” Eva sounded horrified. Because the puncture holes on his arm told her that he had been injected and prodded over and over again.
03:49 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
03-01-2019, 03:49 PM
[In-Character] [Post #24]
Nathan closed his eyes, breathed in relief. Eva. She was here. They had not gone back on their words. She shushed him, and he felt her fingers on his face, finding all the places that remained whole. He let his head fall to the side just a little, indicating that he knew she was there. “I don’t know”, he murmured. Nathan had hardly any clear memory of what had been done to him. Or maybe his mind simply refused to recall.

But certain details he retained. “I’m being primed for the serum. Super soldier … like Jen. My sister.” He pushed out. “I’m half mutant? Or so?” He could not remember clearly. “The substance is … so my body will more easily ingest the serum, with greater effects.” Apparently the prospects were promising. Just that they drove a kind of dread into the marrow of his bones he had no words for.

“I don’t want to be … that” he whispered, his right hand blindly moving across the floor to find her other hand. He pulled at her hand with what little strength he had. The past hours had been no more than pain. Mind-numbing. And the primer wearing off eventually had aggravated it all. They had not freshened up the dosage – instead, they had dragged him back here. No pain killers, nothing to help him with the injuries.

He opened his eyes for a moment, and found not Carol’s face across from him. Nathan held his eyes open. She was not even superimposed over Eva anymore. It was just that woman, the one who had been in here with him all along.

“At least I’m not seeing things”, Nathan said. “Hi, Eva Bell”, he had not had a chance to say any more than ‘hi’ earlier before they had been separated. He let his gaze linger, for just a moment, sucking in air, and letting it out with appreciation.

“They didn’t hurt you after … when …” He swallowed. “They didn’t, right?”

It had given him a pretty clear idea of what they had done to her in here before. It gave him an idea about what they were probably doing to all the female prisoners in here. It threatened to make bile rise from his stomach. Nathan prayed that Carol had gotten Jenna out before … before … he couldn’t even go there, not even in his mind.

“You’re ok, right?” His eyes slid shut again, the small conversation having exerted him already.

03-01-2019
04:23 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
03-01-2019, 04:23 PM
[In-Character] [Post #25]
He didn’t know what they had done to him and that only told her that it had been severe enough that he had either repressed the memory or he had just passed out due to pain. Maybe even both. She wanted to weep for him. Especially when he told her that he was being primed for the super soldier serum. Like his sister.

“Latent x-gene…” Eva murmured as he tried to explain it. She had heard things over the year, had heard stories about how some humans carried those genes but would never activate their abilities. Just pass the gene on to their children who could become mutants. He told her more about the substance they had been injecting him with, just to prime him for that damn serum.

“Ssssh.” She hushed him softly. “You won’t. We’ll figure a way out before that happens.” She told him, not sure if she could even promise him that. She had been stuck here for ten years. What would change now?

He reached for her other hand and she let out a small sigh, she let her fingers entwine with his

Eva looked at him, finding his eyes open and staring at her. She gave him a small smile, and a bigger one when he greeted her by her full name. “Hi.” She replied, her heart doing a funny thing in her chest. He was seeing her and not Carol. That made her happy, at least now he didn’t have to look at his ex-girlfriend while being in pain. Now Eva could take care of him as herself.

She brushed her fingers over his forehead again, down his temple and she shook her head at his question. “They left me alone in here.” She told him softly. Knowing that it could have gone differently. Very differently if Steven hadn’t been busy with Nathan. Because that was probably the reason why she had been left one to begin with. He was taking his anger out on the man in front of her.

“I’m fine now you’re here.” She murmured, watching his eyes fall shut again.

“Sleep, Nathan. I’ll be here when you wake up.” Or so she hoped.
04:36 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
03-02-2019, 04:36 PM
[In-Character] [Post #26]
Latent x-gene. Nathan turned the term over in his mind. For so long he had worked with mutants, had hunted them at times, had played advocate for them more often yet. He had seen them, familiarised himself with certain things about them. And yet, the idea to be one of them was something else entirely. Was this what had driven his sister away? Her entire world suddenly spinning on its axis as she realised that she was suddenly something else entirely?

Eva tried to calm him, but he knew as much as she did that she could not make the promises she offered. Neither of them held any power in this place. They were prisoners. Helpless in the face of a man who often conjured up the likeness of a darned Nazi, running secret experiments during the Holocaust. Was this not so very much the same?

It was an image Nathan had kept to himself, and yet it kept coming back.

Eva’s touch provided comfort, and Nathan smiled when she assured him that no one had visited during his time away. A small nod, and a smile that widened just a little more when she told him that she was fine with him back. Nathan squeezed her hand a little with what strength he had.

She suggested he sleep but Nathan wanted to shake his head. It was not that he was not tired, downright exhausted. It was that he knew what sleep would bring. “I dream…”, he murmured, the images floating to the surface in his mind at the mentioning. “Awful things”, he added, dragging a breath into his lungs. “Steven … forcing himself on you, on her.” He gulped, bile rising from his stomach.

“And I’m powerless …”

Nathan gulped, forcing his lids shut tightly for a moment before relaxing again and exhaling with a shudder. “You think we can get me over to the bed?” The floor was cold and uncomfortable. Nathan knew better than to believe anyone would allow him to sleep and get a break for long but for now there was no one knocking on their door.

03-02-2019
08:28 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
03-02-2019, 08:28 PM
[In-Character] [Post #27]
Eva watched him, worried and wondered what else they had in store for this man. And if he would survive it. Her mind rebelled at that thought of him not surviving this. She wanted him alive. Very much so.

Nathan spoke, telling her that he dreamt about awful things. About Steven Lang forcing himself upon her, on Carol. She swallowed, shutting her eyes as painful memories surfaced. If he only knew that those dreams, were no dreams to her. That they had been reality, awful memories to be shut away in their boxes.

That they played out in nightmares on a daily basis and she knew that that would not go away for a long time to come.

Eva knew the feeling of being powerless. She had fought Steven every step of the way but that man had been strong. Stronger than her and in the end it hadn’t mattered. All it resulted in him taking pleasure out of her pain and doing whatever he wanted with her body. She barely managed to suppress the shudder.

“Yeah, sure.” She told him softly, opening her eyes at his question. She slowly sat up, carefully helping him rise from the floor and moving slowly to the bed. Well the single mattress on the floor. It was at least softer than the floor. Helping him lay down again, she waited before crawling next to him on her side. Facing him.

She was watching Nathan for a moment. He was full bruises and she wished she could take them all away. It pulled on her heart strings that they were forcing him into becoming something he didn't want to be. A Super Soldier. She couldn't blame him, had heard the stories about Barnes herself, about what they made him do.

And that man was out of their grasps, so were they looking for a replacement? Ofcourse they were. And they had started with his sister?

Lifting her hand, she softly brushed her fingers over his forehead, sweeping down towards his temple and backwards above his ear. She repeated the motion over and over, finding comfort in it herself. Nathan groaned softly, and she wondered if he was awake.

"I'm sorry they're putting you through this." She told him softly again. Especially since it was partially her fault, she could have made this easier for her. If she had played by the rules. Then again, he would have still asked her, would have figured it out that she was not Carol only later down the road.

He groaned more and she could tell that he was in pain. So, she decided to tell him a story even if he wouldn't hear half of it. Maybe it helped taking his mind off of the pain.

"When my powers manifested, I was so scared." She murmured, thinking back to that night. "I was out with a friend, we were having a very good time. We went to see Jurassic Park in the theatre, it was a ten year anniversary showing, and afterwards we were still very hyped about the movie when we ran into David and his friends." A smile curled on her lips when she recalled that feeling of seeing her very first crush.

"I had liked David for a while now so when he asked us if we wanted to join him and his friends at the mall, we said yes." Because that's what a teenage girl would do. "I broke curfew for him." She sounded slightly amused.

"We had so much fun, laughing and talking and just drinking sodas that I forgot about the time and my mother had sent my brother to go find me." Because twenty-five years ago there hadn't been cellphones, no way to even contact home besides using payphones. Which she hadn't, her teenage self not wanting to come across as less cool by calling her mommy.

"My brother, Ste, he knew about my crush. Took one look at David and decided then and there that he did not like that boy one bit." Now it made her smile, seeing how protective her brother had been and that it had been his way to show his love for her. God, she missed him fiercely. Didn't even know if he was still alive. "So when he tried to take me away from the mall, I refused at first and David tried to come to my rescue." It had looked all so chivalrous to her teenage mind.

"They started fighting. Over me. I got scared, didn't want them to hurt each other." Onlookers had stopped, shouting at the two boys and she knew that mall security had been called for. "I was yelling at them to stop, my heart was racing inside my chest and I just wished for it all to stop. Just stop." And then it had. "I felt something snap inside me, and then expand, like a bubble." It had felt like a bubble to her.

"It was my power, it rushed out of me and all of a sudden everything had stopped around me. Everything had been pressed on pause. I had them frozen in time, and whatever I tried I couldn't get them unstuck." The panic she had felt then and there had been overwhelming, and it hadn't helped her in figuring out what to do.

"Eventually help came and I resumed time for those people." A smile curled on her lips, watching the confusion on her brother's face when he had found himself out of reach of David.

"That's my ability. I can stop time, or displace it. Rewind or fast forward, for short amounts." And she had been good at it too until she had been captured by SentS. She hadn't been able to properly flex her power and was afraid what would happen if she finally could again.

Eva who had her eyes closed the whole time telling the story, finally opened them up and saw Nathan looking at her. "Hey, you're awake." She softly spoke. "You heard my story?"

"I did. Thank you."
"You're welcome."
"Do you… do you have an alias too?"
"Yes. It's Tempus." Or it had been.
"Sounds badass." He had a small smile on his lips.
"You have no idea." She chuckled softly. But she wasn't that badass anymore, not after ten years of being held captive.
09:57 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
03-03-2019, 09:57 PM
[In-Character] [Post #28]
Steven was staring at one of the screens that showed the video feed of one of the cameras in Coleman’s cell. Narrowing his eyes, he felt something sharp in his chest. His little experiment with Eva hadn’t quite worked out the way he had planned. Or maybe it had, it all depended on how you looked at it.

Either way, it would get a lot more interesting now that she had gotten herself attached to Coleman. And vice versa.

“Sir?” the voice of one of his assistants broke through his reverie and he looked at her.
“What?”
“The test results are in.”
“And?”
“They look promising. Do you want to continue with project Lazarus?”

Steven turned back to the screen, watched how Eva was gently caressing Coleman’s forehead and he narrowed his eyes again. A cold smile curled up on his lips as an idea formed in his head. If they cared so much about each other, they could spend the next round of tests together too. And he would give Eva a part in what was to come.

Her ability would be perfect for this.

“Yes, but a slight alteration. Instead of the drug, we’ll use Miss Bell.” Steven looked at his assistant, who was frowning slightly.
“Are you certain, sir?”
“Yes. She can rewind and fast forward time, can’t she?” He asked.
“Yes…” She said and then she understood where he was going with it. “Very well. I’ll get them both into the lab.” She turned around and left him to watch the screen again.

Minutes later, guards pushed themselves inside the cell of the two and dragged them both out. Eva struggled, Coleman tried. Eva was on the receiving end of a punch to the face, and she stopped struggling.

Steven got up from his chair and made his way out of the office and towards the lab where they were currently strapping down Coleman to a table and hooking him up to various monitors and machines.

Walking down the hallway towards said lab he took in a deep breath.

His assistant popped up next to him and before pushing through the door of the lab he looked at her. “All set?”

“He’s all hooked up, Miss Bell will be given access to her power at the right moments.” She told him. He nodded and pushed through the door where Coleman was lying strapped to a table and Eva shackled to the wall with perfect view on him.

“Mister Coleman, let’s see if we can get your x-gene activated today.”
10:54 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
03-04-2019, 10:54 PM
[In-Character] [Post #29]
Nathan could barely feel his hands. Blood flow was restricted and there was little more than pins and needles. Or he was simply panicked. Because that was what he was right? Right now he was bordering on losing his mind.

Dread was filling his mind as they were pulling the ties tight first around his wrists then his upper arms. Same was done to his legs, his mid-section. Even his head. Nathan was panting like he had run ten miles in under forty-five minutes. Whatever had been happening to him these past days, it was now going to culminate in … in … Nathan had no idea.

Activating his x-gene? Nathan wanted to shout at the man that he was no mutant. No one in his family had been one. And no, until he saw it he would not believe that his own sister was now … not baseline any longer.

Nathan gritted his teeth, pushed against his restraints. So Lang would win. Whatever he was going to do, it would be bad. Nathan had no illusions. He would not survive the day. He did not believe in miracles, did not believe in life giving anyone a break. Everyone always got the worst hand of cards dealt. That was the way of life. And he was no exception.

No one he knew had ever been one.

Not Carol. Not his own sister. Not Eva.

Nathan’s eyes locked onto the form now locked into place much like he was across from him. His mind was hard at work coming up with reasons why they had her here. And yet, it was so simple, wasn’t it? She was the failsave. She would rewind if it all went wrong.

“None of this is your fault”, he whispered at her.

Then ten-thousand volts were driven into his body through the table’s restraints. Drool ran from the corner from his lips when the charge seized. His heart was doing an oddly arrhythmic dance.

“Mr. Coleman, it appears you’re too stubborn for our defaults”, Lang chimed in over the comms. Then a higher voltage slammed into him, sending his heart into distress.

Then, Nathan Coleman flatlined.

03-04-2019
11:53 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
03-04-2019, 11:53 PM
[In-Character] [Post #30]
Eva wanted to scream, yell, get herself free from those damn shackles that held her against the wall and, and, and… what? She couldn’t go anywhere, didn’t have her powers and she had to watch helplessly as they strapped Nathan down. Why was she here? What was it that she needed to witness?

Because this was not it. She did not want to see him go through this.

Tears were streaming down her face, and she pulled on the restraints and it only hurt. Steven was looking at her strangely and then focussed back on Nathan. They were almost done and fear filled her body.

This was not going to end well; her eyes went over the machines and she thought that she recognised most of them and then there was one that was humming softly.

Her eyes snapped to Nathan who told her that none of it was her fault. “I’m sorry.” She still whispered and then his body went rigid and the hum had gotten so loud that she was trying to freeze time because they were shocking him.

“NO!” She yelled, pulling on the shackles again. Watching the heart monitor, he wasn’t dead. Not yet. Steven saw the same thing, commented on it but all Eva heard was white noise because she knew what was coming next. “Don’t. Please.” She whispered, but they would not listen to her.

“NATHAN!” She cried, watching his body getting a higher voltage and then the only thing she heard was a single beep coming from the monitor.

“You killed him!” She screamed. “Oh, God. You killed him…”
“Bring him back Eva.” Steven’s voice told her and she felt her power rush back into her. “Don’t wait too, long.” Because he knew her limitations.

She looked at Nathan, heard that beep and tears fell even faster down her face when she put a bubble around him and pushed for a rewind of his body.

The monitor went back from a monotone beep to showing a heart rhythm.