Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [Other] Easy To Lie [Nate / Eva]

02-28-2019
02:02 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
02-28-2019, 02:02 PM
[In-Character] [Post #11]
Nathan could see it in her eyes and it was enough. There was dread. The kind that was born out of fear for one’s life, possibly one’s sanity. She – whoever she was – was likely as much a victim as he was. Somehow her face looked different now. Still Carol, but different mannerisms, different lines on a face he was supposed to know so well.

Her first response made his throat go dry in an instant. She was forced to be here. They had given her no choice. Fuck the prisoner or … what? Nathan pressed his lips into a thin line, feeling how bile was forming in the pits of his stomach. What came next somewhat gave him pause. Her hand found his face and her touch was gentle, willing him to hear her. Nathan did just that. What she said loosened the screw that had been fastening around his neck. A rapist certainly was not what he wanted to be, had intended to be.

It had not been forced? So … And as if she knew that he needed her elaboration, the woman he was still connected with so intimately continued. He narrowed his eyes for a moment, trying to gauge what her words meant.

Nathan had certainly, at some point when he had accepted to see her as Carol, but not Carol, begun enjoying this as well. She was a welcoming lover. Her kisses her intriguing and her touch always demanded more. He had felt his desire mirrored in her. But so far Nathan would have bet his right hand on that being no more than the substance making him see things.

“Your kisses are not hers. And she never calls me Nathan.” He said, and he did not hide the undertone of sadness from his voice. Part of him missed her, would always miss her. There had been the idea to marry Carol. Though he had begun wondering whether the notion had been born out of nostalgia. His emotions were real, and yet … maybe it had been no more than stoking old ambers before going on to light a new fire.

Nathan had no idea, he generally was not the philosophical type.

“Just make sure you don’t tell me your name..” Not that Nathan did not want to know. But he was worried that once they drugged him to hell and back the next time he would slip up and then they both would be made.

Behind them, the door was pushed open. Heavy feet on the ground. Comments about Nathan’s bare ass. Nathan did not care. He flexed the muscles in his shoulders, putting himself against her so the guards would not see her naked form under his. He was still inside of her. The erection would soon fade but for now only either of their motions would separate them. Nathan had no such plans.

Instead, he angled his head and let his eyes dip to her lips. “I want to kiss you now”, he said, knowing it would go with the story for the guards. But he felt something else spark into existence in his chest. Curiosity maybe. There was more of course. There was loathing for Steven Lang. The burning question what all of this was about. There was a part of his heart that insisted this woman was not the one he wanted. And yet, he felt curiosity.

His mind cycled through moments when he had caught glimpses of the darker her out of the corner of his eyes. He tried to focus on them, sharpen them. See who was behind the illusion. But of course the substance had left no more than blurred outlines and washed out colours.

So he closed his eyes, and lowered his head. The remnants of the substance whispered at him that he wanted to go again. Claim her again, bury himself in her again. Over and over and over. But Nathan knew he needed a moment to rest. Maybe more sleep. So instead of a kiss that demanded her to respond, this time he kissed her tenderly. His elbows on the floor left and right of her, he held her tightly under himself, and took his time with the kiss this time.

It was like they kissed for the first time.

Then more footfalls, just retreating this time. “Don’t get ideas”, one of the guards barked at them. They were alone again. Nathan broke the kiss, his eyes searching hers. “Do you know what they even want with us? Why all this?”

bury my heart next to yours
02-28-2019
02:33 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
02-28-2019, 02:33 PM
[In-Character] [Post #12]
Eva let out a trembling sigh when he admitted that her kisses were not the same. Well, yeah, because she wasn’t Carol and she figured that they hadn’t taken into account that he would notice such details. Yet, he hadn’t given her up. Hadn’t fought against the illusion and had accepted her to be Carol. “I made it a point to call you Nathan.” She murmured, because she knew Carol had called him Nate. Had read that in that damn file they had compiled.

It broke her though to hear the sadness in his voice, knowing that he missed her and that she was just trying to replace the woman he loved.

“I won’t. If they find out…” She didn’t say the rest, because he could figure out what would happen then. “You can’t stop pretending, Nathan.” She begged, and she hated that she had to do this. That she had to ask him to fake through this much like she had to.

The door opened and she wanted to cringe away, afraid of what the guards would do because she was in a very vulnerable state. Naked on the floor with only Nathan to hide her body from them. She looked away from them, averting her gaze when the comments started. But her gaze snapped back to Nathan when he told her that he wanted to kiss her.

“Okay.” She whispered back, and Eva licked her lips, waiting for him to do just that.

Because she liked his kisses, liked them a lot. So when he lowered his head, and he started to kiss her she was surprised that it wasn’t the demanding one he usually asked of her. No, this time it was a tender one. Slow, gentle and he took his time. Eva decided that she liked this one even better than the previous ones.

It pulled at her heart. God, did it pull at her heart.

She hadn’t even noticed the guards leaving until Nathan broke the kiss, his eyes searching hers. She licked her lips again, hearing his questions and she tried to think back to what she had overheard and been told.

“It all revolves around her.” Not wanting to say Carol’s name, afraid the illusion would completely be broken. “I know they are priming you for something. I don’t know what though.” Something the labcoats had whispered when they had taken her for her regular check-up.

“I’m just collateral damage.” She whispered with sadness now in her own voice. “I know that once they deem you ready enough, you won’t see me again.” She would be dumped back in her own cell.
02:54 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
02-28-2019, 02:54 PM
[In-Character] [Post #13]
You can’t stop pretending.

The sound of her voice remained echoing in his mind. It was the same plea he had so often heard from mutants they were trying to keep out of the Services’ hands. You cannot send me back. I beg of you. Don’t send me back. It was the same cadence, the same emotion. And it tightened a knot somewhere in the back of his mind. It made him be gentler yet, more careful. Nathan knew that they had probably hurt this woman in a way that it made her consider a set up such as this one as a way out.

That kind of realisation woke something inside of him. His need to fight for making the world a better place. The side of him that was a protector. And of course he could be angry with her, could take out his sense of betrayal on this woman. But he doubted it would do either of them any good, and punish the wrong person in the end.

Nathan did enjoy the company. Driving her out would leave him alone in this cell. This arrangement now was certainly preferable – even if it now presented itself with a discoloured component to it. This was not Carol. This was some poor woman who was probably trying to buy something from Steven Lang by offering her body to this stranger.

Shit. Nathan gulped, letting his head fall to her shoulder.

He listened as she explained how it was apparently once more all about Carol. Of course it was. Somehow in his life, so far, it had all been about one Carol Danvers. What eventually had him perk up was the mentioning of being primed for something. So it was more than just messing with Carol? Or was all of this just part of messing with Carol?

“I don’t think I’m more than that either”, he said, pulling his head back up as she spoke of being collateral damage. Nathan swallowed, wondering whether the words rolling off of his tongue were his own or that of the substance speaking. “Then we can’t let that happen”, he said as he slowly shifted downward while the guards remained outside.

He reached for a box of tissues someone had gladly left next to the mattress serving as their bed whenever she was in here with him. He snatched two for her, then two for himself. Pushing back onto his knees, he cleaned himself a little before tossing the tissues into the bin and sorting through their clothes. He just dropped his shorts into his own lap for now, while swiftly pulling together her pieces of clothing.

“Get dressed… quickly”, he suggested, having noticed how the guards generally had no more than contempt for her in their gazes. Nathan had not liked it one bit. Less now when he realised that this woman was not the prized prisoner he had thought her to be so far.

Eventually he pulled his own clothes on, contemplating the situation. So he had poked a hole in the illusion they had built for him after all. Nathan had kept himself from it for long enough. The idea to be in here and not have this woman really be Carol had been unbearable at first. But as the knowledge had snuck deeper and deeper into his mind, eventually curiosity had won out. Who was she? Why was she here?

When the both of them were dressed, Nathan reached for her hand as she just sat there in the semi dark for a moment. Gently tugging he urged her to come closer. He told himself that they had an image to uphold, and yet, he knew that he sought her proximity. No matter who she really was, he depended on her right now. And he was thankful for her company.

He sat up against the cold wall behind him, willing Carol to just sit with him. When she assumed the place next to him, Nathan took her legs and pulled them across his thighs, letting his right hand rest on her shins.

“Done already?” one of the Guards prompted as they re-entered the cell.
“Haven’t you noticed? He’s always really quick.” His mate retorted as he came in after.

Nathan said nothing, just held onto Carol.

“I’ll need to sleep soon”, he murmured against the crown of her head. He somewhat dreaded it now, hoping the injection of the substance would not erase what had just happened. And suddenly he found his own way of having just assumed that she wanted what he had wanted problematic. His voice dropped lower. “I don’t want to sleep”, he confessed.

02-28-2019
03:22 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
02-28-2019, 03:22 PM
[In-Character] [Post #14]
Eva just knew that he was more than that, he was a means to an end and she had just been randomly picked to play a part in this elaborate game that Steven Lang had set up. She hadn’t figured out why, yet. Why her? It wasn’t that she was special, or that she actually looked like Carol. She was taller, darker hair… It just didn’t make any sense.

Nathan slipped out of her and she wanted to pull him back, because she didn’t like feeling the loss of him. But she didn’t stop him, instead she took the offered tissues and cleaned herself up before taking her clothing from him.

Eva got dressed quickly as suggested, ignoring the fact that there were guards outside and probably glancing inside whenever they could. Sick bastards. All of them.

Sitting on the floor, she watched him get dressed and she felt a different kind of sadness wash over her. How often had she wished for him to know that she wasn’t Carol, and now that he did she couldn’t stop thinking that it would probably all change from now on. Would he still touch her like he had before? Or would there be different kind of looks? One of revulsion because she was giving up her body because they had made her do so.

”You’re nothing but a whore, Eva-girl

Nathan reached for her hand, gently tugging her closer to him. He sat against the wall and she just scooted closer, just to hold up the ruse. Did he even want this? God, she had set herself up with this. He knew, and now she would doubt every move he made towards her.

Eva let her head rest on his shoulder, his arm around her and her legs across his thighs.

She didn’t look up when the guard came in and started to comment about them being done already. Eva gritted her teeth, ready to make a snappy retort but remained quiet, not really feeling like getting a beating in front of Nathan.

Letting out a shuddering breath when they left again and then hearing Nathan say that he needed to sleep soon. She knew that the cycle would start anew.

“I don’t want you to go to sleep either.” She told him softly. “If you sleep, it’ll start all over again. They will renew my illusion and you will get your injection.” She whispered. “Maybe we should make it look like you’re still awake?” Eva continued, thinking this through a little as she remembered that his sleeping cycle was getting shorter and shorter.

“Last time you were out it was only for an hour. I can pretend for at least that long that you’re awake…” maybe it would give them the needed time to plot to escape this hell hole if he was more lucid.
05:22 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
02-28-2019, 05:22 PM
[In-Character] [Post #15]
Nathan could feel the change in her. Where she had acted confidently before – the woman hiding behind the guise of another one so easily – now that confidence appeared gone. Her touch gave away that she was second-guessing this, herself, him. Nathan could not even fault her. And yet, he realised it gave away something else. That what she had said was true. She had come to him willingly. Had she even grown attached?

He had no idea what to do with that. Everything was too much right now. He felt overwhelmed when contemplating anything other than the constant routine. He tried to hold on nonetheless. This this moment here, where he for once could see behind the façade.

“You think that’ll work?” he asked knowing the question was pointless. She would know as little as he did. But it was worth a shot wasn’t it. And yet, did he want to try it? Did he want to attempt anything that would risk having Lang’s lackeys pull her from his cell? Nathan was not sure. He moved his head back a little to look down at her. “How are you going to pretend?” A small grin played on his lips.

Nathan felt his eyelids growing heavy. So far he could keep them open no problem but soon it would become a serious problem. He blinked a few times, then looked ahead through the glass. Beyond it lay the small pathway surrounding their cell on all four sides. The path leading away was hidden behind a wall built to block sight.

This time, he tried to see her from the corner of his eyes. The image swam. Then it shifted into focus and for a moment he saw someone with soft features and long golden brown hair. It was hard to really imagine a face in his mind, but he was getting an impression. Especially given he had glimpsed this before. Whoever was creating the illusion was certainly no top-level telepath. Or they were intentionally poking holes into that image. Did they have friendly people on the inside?

02-28-2019
07:48 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
02-28-2019, 07:48 PM
[In-Character] [Post #16]
“I don’t know, but I can try at least.” Because they needed to get out of here, she knew that she was working on borrowed time. Each time he slept less, and Eva just knew that that was because he was more or less ready for the next phase. Whatever that was. What would happen to her when they didn’t need her anymore? And why was she dreading the moment that she wouldn’t be near him anymore?

Wasn’t that what she had signed up for? Do this mission, do it well and she would be free to sit out the remainder of her stay without being touched?

Looking up at him, seeing the grin on his lips when he asked how she was going to pretend, it chased away the grim forecast and brought her back to the now. “I know trust is a hard thing to come by in this place…” She started, shifting out of his embrace and pulling her legs away and sitting up on her knees. “… but trust me?” She whispered at him, pushing her pants back down. She hadn’t bothered with her underwear, sitting back she got rid of her pants completely but left her shirt on.

She crawled over him, straddling, tugged his own pants down a little and she couldn’t help but bite her lower lip. This was just ridiculous. But they had to try. Eva scooted forward, knew that he would go out soon and she had to get him in position before that happened.

“Hands on my hips.” She murmured, helping him with that a little. “Place your head against my shoulder and sleep, Nathan.” Eva let her hand move to the back of his head and guided him down to her shoulder. Her hair would obscure his face to the guards.

“When you wake, please don’t show to them that you can see me.” She softly spoke into his ear. “Because that won’t be good for either one of us.” They were already treading on dangerous waters by doing this, if they found him sleeping in her arms … She swallowed, it wouldn’t end well for her.

And then Eva waited for the black out to be over, because when they would look into their cell right now they wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. Once lights were back on and the camera’s rolling she would start moving. Fake having sex with him, for now she just took comfort in leaning her head against his shoulder. Turning her head, just so, that it would look like she was kissing him.

Eva just hoped that this would work.

Because she needed him clear headed. Needed him to help come up with a plan so they could bust out of this place.

And she mostly needed him to see her, Eva and not Carol.
09:58 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
03-01-2019, 09:58 AM
[In-Character] [Post #17]
Nathan looked up at the woman, doing what he could to look past the illusion. His mind had already begun highlighting all the ways in which she was not Carol. Not quite the same smile, not the same mannerisms. The way she would stress some words in sentences different to how Carol would. All those things a mind begging for what was had previously glossed over. He was no seeing them crystal clear.

Just that the face was still that of his ex-girlfriend. It hurt sometimes to just look into that face. To allow himself to see the woman his heart still ached for. The woman to whom he would have given anything and everything; the woman who had picked herself a new man… a man she’d slept with without ever having tied up her loose ends. Nathan knew his mind avoided the harsh truth where it could but in the end, it was what it was. She had cheated on him.

Without regard of what it would do to him, she had walked over him.

Nathan exhaled, scrambling to grind that train of thoughts to a stop. He could not go there. The substance the Services was saturating his system with had a fatal effect on his inhibitions, his self-control. They completely went out of the window. It worked in pretty much all directions. It worked when he wanted to just let himself be with this woman in his arms – whoever she was. It worked when he wanted to be with Carol – he could just block out the fact that this was not his real ex-girlfriend.

It worked when he let himself drop into that downward spiral.

It resulted in him being completely exposed to whatever his mind was stuck on. And even now, as the effect appeared to be lessened by the injection not being renewed it still took quite some effort for him to not lose himself in those images and memories.

The fact that the voice speaking to him was Carol’s, the face looking at him, the body pressed against his … it threatened to drive him mad at time.

He wanted to know her name, wanted to see the face underneath Carol’s. He needed to remove Carol’s face out of his line of sight. He needed to stop revisiting the past. So, no matter what, he welcomed her suggestion to try at least. Nathan gave a nod. Then she moved in his embrace and he just watched in silence. She asked for his trust and the reflex was to shake his head and point out that he had. Carol had owned it all. His heart, his mind, and his trust. And yet, this was not Carol. This was a woman who appeared to be as desperate to get out of here as he was.

But was he? Or would it simply take another shot for him to forget it all and hand himself over to the sweet bliss of having sex with the woman he had loved for almost two decades over and over and over again? The situation continued to put himself at a stalemate position. There was no room to move forward, none to move back.

She was once more naked from the waist down, and Nathan felt himself swallow. What was she doing? Though the question was a moot one. He knew and it somehow tied his throat for the moment. She was exposing herself, putting herself out there for … for them. Him and her. Whoever she was, she was not screwing him over – if anything, she was doing it to herself. It tugged at quite a lot of his heartstrings, stirring awake the side of him that was driven to protect those in need.

So Nathan swallowed, then he nodded.

“I trust … you”, he said, stressing the last word as if he needed to make sure that she knew he was talking to the woman underneath.

Fatigue swept over him. It was like a warm blanket someone suddenly wrapped about it. It pulled him under, drew his eyes shut eventually. He held his breath when she set the both of them up. There was something desperate in her motions, something heartbreaking. It made him want to see the one underneath all the more. Who was this woman? His hands automatically came to rest on her thighs, then he pushed them up as she told him to.

“I wish you could drop that face”, he murmured, something tender in his voice, as he let his head tip forward against her shoulder. His eyes slipped shut and just like that, the lights went out. Nathan heard that she was murmuring something to him but his mind could no longer discern what it was. Instead he was slipping into a strange world of images. It was one of memories merged with new ones. Carol – but not Carol. Her face was hers but it wasn’t. Different features were shining through and the longer it looked the more he saw of that other woman.

Nathan, there was longing in her voice. Tender, gentle and only for him.
She locked her arms around him in a tight, demanding embrace.
A sharp pain at his back, stole his breath. Nathan tried to push back but her hold on him was a crushing one. He tried to breath but only tasted copper in his mouth.
The woman in his arms shrugged, drew the knife from his back – and then Steven Lang stepped out from behind her. He was chuckling.
Like stealing candy from a baby …, the man said as he drew her out of Nathan’s embrace and back against him.

Nathan woke with a start. “Ssssh”, he heard her from directly next to his ear.
“Nightmare”, he ground out, and pushed his arms up from her hips to the expanse of her back. His heart was hammering in his chest and his palms were clammy.

“You okay?” she murmured as she slowly continued her grinding motion against his midsection. Nathan was glad to still be sitting propped up against the wall behind him. It did not require much strength to remain upright.

“Feels nice”, he redirected, not wanting to answer her question.

The lights were still out. And his mind was clearer than it had been before. So her plan had worked? Nathan gently shifted her on his lap to look at her face, and the reaction was almost reflexive. A small, surprised gasp. As he saw eyes that were brown almost as Carol’s but nothing like her’s. Her hair was that dark shade he had glimpsed before, longer than Carol’s. Her facial features were clear cut, gentle and well-defined but with a whisper of a haunting, a shadow in her eyes Carol’s did not feature.

“Hi”, he murmured, surprised by how relieved he felt. Carol’s features still clung to her, but Nathan could see the woman underneath.

Then he made her pause her motions. Somehow he did not want the first thing he did with this woman to be just another fuck because his body demanded it. Nathan found himself no longer affected completely by the substance. The haze was not governing his mind. It was why he could see beyond the guise, he decided.

Then he went against what he had said not too long ago. “Your name”, Nathan asked – finally wanting to know just who his fellow inmate had been all these days and weeks.

03-01-2019
10:30 AM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
03-01-2019, 10:30 AM
[In-Character] [Post #18]
He was awake, came too with a start and she had to shush him softly to not make too much commotion because the guards had been looking in on them from time to time. At some point she had started to move her hips, it had not woken him but it had worked to keep the ruse up. She had heard the soft snorts from those idiots outside but she had focussed on something else.

Nathan had a nightmare and she couldn’t blame him. This place incited them on a regular basis for her. A smile curled on her lips when he told her it felt nice, ignoring her question if he was okay.

He shifted her a little and then he was looking at her. At her. At Eva. She waited, held her breath while he looked her over and she wanted to know what he was thinking. Because she was nothing like Carol Danvers. She was at least three inches taller, darker hair, longer as well. The only thing that was somewhat similar was the colour of their eyes.

“Hey.” She replied back, letting out that breath she had been holding. Nathan stopped her motions and she let out another sigh. She had been getting tired, even if it had been one sided.

Eva felt her heart do a happy little dance, because she could tell that he was seeing her and not Carol. Or well maybe enough of her to know that she looked nothing like the woman who had broken his heart. And then he asked for her name and she wanted to cry. Because he was breaking his own request. He hadn’t wanted to know her name but now…

“It’s Eva.” She whispered. “I’m Eva Bell.” And it felt so damn good to finally tell him her name. She felt tears prick behind her eyes as she looked at him and then the lights came on and she had to blink a few times. Power was back. Heard the cameras come back to life and her heart sunk. Their reprieve was gone, and she had to see how good he was at pretending that she was Carol.

The door snapped open behind them and a couple of guards stomped inside guns pointed at them and one pair grabbed her by her upper arms. Dragging her away instantly from Nathan. No, no, no. This could not be happening.

“Let me go!” She started to yell, fighting them to get free. Had they been waiting? What? Struggling she screamed because their grips tightened around her arms and she was pressed up against the wall outside of the cell she had been sharing with Nathan. And then there was that face she hoped never to see again.

“Eva, you’ve been a bad girl.” He grabbed her by her chin and held her still. “You messed up. You know what that means.” The gleam in his eyes told her that she was in for some serious hurting later. Because she remembered it clearly what he had told her what would happen if she broke the rules.

“I hate you.” She hissed at him and he just laughed before he turned away from her and she watched him step inside the cell with Nathan while they kept her pinned against the wall outside.
11:03 AM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
03-01-2019, 11:03 AM
[In-Character] [Post #19]
Steven had been monitoring the cell with Coleman and Eva ever since the black-out had occurred. He knew that these so called black-outs weren’t a coincidence, someone was trying to sabotage their work and they hadn’t figured out who it was. They would, but for now it was just an annoyance.

He had made sure to put up some wireless microphones and cameras that weren’t attached to the power grid. He was prepared for everything.

And it had been quite amusing to hear Coleman say to Eva that she wasn’t really Carol. Shame that that little experiment would come to an end. If she had only denied all of it, but the whore had given in and told him that she was in fact not Carol Danvers.

He could have jumped in right then but it was far more entertaining to see what would happen next.

So for the next forty minutes he had listened in and kept an eye on the couple. It had been a clever ruse, he would give her that. If he hadn’t been keeping tabs on them, he would have fallen for it. Too bad that they thought they could outsmart the game master.

He walked out of the lab, pointed at four guards to follow him and he made his way towards the box they were keeping Coleman captive for now. “Grab her.” He instructed two of his men as they barged inside of the cell and took Eva out. She was fighting them, she still had not been broken. After ten years, she was still showing spirit. It annoyed the fuck out of him. He would break her. He needed to break her.

They pushed her against the wall opposite the entrance and he stepped into her sight. She went quiet instantly.

“Eva, you’ve been a bad girl.” He grabbed her chin, pinching it painfully. “You messed up. You know what that means.” She had broken the one rule he had stipulated and she was going to pay for that. He saw the comprehension in her face and he gave her a cold smile. That’s right. She hissed at him that she hated him and he just laughed.

Turning away, he entered the cell and looked at one Nathan Coleman.

“Mister Coleman.” Steven started. “I hope you’ve had your fill with Miss Bell, because she’ll be going back to her own cell.”
11:23 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
03-01-2019, 11:23 AM
[In-Character] [Post #20]
“No …” Nathan breathed out when the guards yanked Eva up and away from him. Eva. Eva. He wanted to say her name in his mind over and over, align this person properly in his mind. Separate her from the pain that was connected to Carol. It made him feel a little less insane, a little less messed with. And yet, they were a long shot from being out of the woods yet. Him having figured out this little bit did nothing for the overall picture.

They were still trapped here. Still in the hands of one Steven Lang.

Nathan scrambled to his feet, hands quickly pulling his pants back up all the way. Then he stepped forward, to the reinforced see-through wall, beyond which the guards kept Eva. Nathan’s eyes homed in on the man in charge. Lang. Somehow, he was the kind of guy that made the hair on the back of his neck stand up on edge. Lang always had, and Nathan knew, the man always would.

He bit back the need to snap a ‘don’t touch her’ at Lang. It would only offer the man more rope to hang Nathan with already. And yet, he could not stomach the idea to let Eva be sent back to her own private hell of captivity. She had been his ally – and more. If anything, she had helped him make these days – or weeks? – bearable. And he owed her for that.

Then Lang’s gaze homed in on him and Nathan pressed his lips into a thin line. He weighed his options, hoping that the assumptions he had made about the what’s and the why’s of his incarceration were accurate.

“You want anything from me, you sick son of a bitch, then you let her stay here. With me.” He swallowed, unable to shake the sensation that he was currently in the middle of striking a deal with the devil. And as a man over forty, Nathan knew that one never won against the devil. “None of you will touch her. Then I will give you my full cooperation.” Nathan was certain that offering such did hold the possibility of him losing his life in the process.

And yet, that was the man he was. It was the man his father had been. His mother had always regarded it with worry. Jenna had hated it – it had driven her up the damned walls. And yet, Nathan had eventually embraced that trait of character.

“I’m your guinea pig.” Nathan said, his hands held out at his side, palms up. A gesture of offering himself up in return to spare whatever torture that would be coming Eva’s way.