Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [Other] Winter is Coming [Carol / Bucky]

03-15-2019
12:05 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
03-15-2019, 12:05 PM
[In-Character] [Post #301]
Jenna did have no illusions about how he she ranked on people Carol wanted along for this ride. Possibly right at the very bottom. If the theatre had a janitor, she would surely take him or her over Jenna any day. And yet, she had inserted herself into this scenario and she would do exactly what she was here for. She would be their danger detector. Because something was coming even if Carol didn't know. Jenna doubted Carol even knew what she could do now.

She watched Carol's face as realisation rolled in and a slap to the face could not have been more obvious. It replaced the smile previously there and the ghost of that image made her heart heavy. Once upon a time the woman had looked at her brother that way. Jenna shook her head. Back then Jenna had so often wished Carol would not look at Nathan at all. So why was it awful to now see that wish come to pass at last?

Jenna could accept small mercies where provided though. Carol was not kicking up a fuss. Apparently, she trusted the assessment of the two men with them. Jenna chose to remain somewhat behind Benji. Putting the two men in the middle.

Benji created the portal and then the four of them stepped through it.

Jenna looked around. Not quite what she had picted as a ‘clinic’ and yet she was beginning to realise just what making do really meant. She watched Carol being led away by a woman, Bucky in tow. It left Benji and her in the hallway.

“So, what’s on that radar of yours, Jel?” he asked.
Jenna shrugged, not quite sure how to explain it. “Incoming?”, she tried.
“What?”
She shook her head. “Not, immediately. It’s like it’s still on the perimeter. I don’t know how to explain it. It’ll happen today. Soon. They know she’s here.” Giving a shrug, she was not sure how to give him a more definitive answer.

“It’d be great if you could all stop looking at me like that”, Jenna quirked an eyebrow at Benji. “I know it’s strange to do this on nothing but a hunch, but think of it this way … if something really happens and we don’t do anything… what then?” She looked around, hooking her thumbs into her belt at her back as she slowly strode down the corridor, trying to get a better impression of the actual size of this place and possible exits and entrances.

bury my heart next to yours
03-15-2019
12:38 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
03-15-2019, 12:38 PM
[In-Character] [Post #302]
The shift in Carol could not have been more like someone pulled a lever. She certainly was not happy about the idea – possibly because Bucky had somewhat skipped on warning her. Then again, there had been no time for the discussions that would have certainly ensued. So, they would come later. Bucky was sure of it. And yet, also thankful that Carol did not choose now out of all possible times to have an argument about it.

They stepped through the portal, Bucky right behind Carol. The doctor appeared to have already waited for them. Bucky did his best to not flinch at the woman’s comment about Carol’s entourage. And there came the jab. Bucky nodded at the woman once – and at the same time, acknowledged that his girlfriend would probably want to have words about this afterwards.

After this, Bucky remained in the background, letting the doctor go about her job and watching in silence as Carol received a check-up before it was eventually time for the ultrasound itself. Bucky pulled a chair up, and sat himself down at Carol’s side. He silently took her hand when she reached out for him, holding it in between both of his gloved ones.

Then the doctor turned on the machine, and Bucky found himself staring at the image there with fascination. Not that he had much of a clue exactly what it was he was seeing, but the doctor seemed to know. Then the doc pointed out a small blurb on the monitor, and Carol’s hands squeezed his. And then Bucky could see it. The way something fluttered. The heartbeat.

There was his child’s heart and it was beating.

Bucky would not have had words to describe what he was feeling in this moment, had he tried to. He just stared at the image, in awe and wonder. A small smile tugged up one side of his mouth, and he pressed the back of Carol’s hand to his mouth. She whispered to him, and it widened his smile.

He still didn’t know exactly how to feel. That sensation of becoming a father was elusive. Bucky had no idea what that would even mean. And yet, it was enough to see the happiness on Carol’s face. The tears of joy that were stealing their way down her cheeks. “She’s going to be gorgeous”, he murmured, letting his smile split his lips now behind the back of her hand.

“She already is”, he added, and leaned sideways towards Carol to steal a kiss from her lips.

03-15-2019
12:46 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
03-15-2019, 12:46 PM
[In-Character] [Post #303]
Benji knew the moment Jenna would show her face, things would be awkward but he had no idea how much so when he saw Carol’s face. He waited for the bomb to drop but nothing happened. Instead Carol remained silent, only answering when she was asked if she was ready.

Then her gaze found him and he didn’t need to ask her what she wanted, she was projecting loud and clear. “Eh… Okay, then.” Opening up the portal, he stepped through and the rest followed. The doc was waiting for them, Benji didn’t listen, his mind was reaching out and touching each and everyone in this building light enough to see their intentions but not to form a link with them.

“We’re going to check the perimeter.” He told Bucky when the man followed after Carol, and then he was alone with Jenna. His gaze fell on her, tipping his head a little to the side as he regarded her.

“So, What’s on that radar of yours, Jel?” After she had tried to explain to him about her ability he still couldn’t quite grasp it, but then again. He was the one with the precog dreams and half the time he didn’t even understand that ability.
He watched her shrug, telling him incoming and he frowned. “What?”

He let his breath escape when she started to explain that it wasn’t immediately. But it would happen soon, today. How that they knew that Carol was here. The fact that he hadn’t been dreaming this, concerned him a lot. Then again, it was an elusive ability as well. And he’d been having other things on his mind lately.

He was still frowning, mostly about his own situation… “Sorry.” He told her anyway, he didn’t want to make her feel like a two headed creature. Then she went on to explain herself further and he just nodded.

“Hey I get it. I do prophetic dreams, okay?” He apologised to her again, and started following her. “It just concerns me that nothing of this has filtered through to me.” He confessed, and that bothered him more than he liked. “So, I’m glad that you have your hunches, darling.” He nodded at that. “I trust you. If you say this is going to happen then I’m glad that we’re here.”

Benji fell silent, something pushing at his mind and he stopped walking for a moment.

“Something is up. The morgue?” He tried to sort through the panic he all of a sudden picked up on.
01:47 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
03-15-2019, 01:47 PM
[In-Character] [Post #304]
Carol nodded at his assessment, she would be gorgeous. Somehow the ring of it being a girl, it felt right. It fitted and she wondered how that was even possible. Her head shifted towards Bucky, she smiled through her tears and caught his lips with hers for a kiss. Hannah cleared her throat and Carol looked at her in question.

“Everything looks fine. Strong heartbeat already.” She told them. Holding the device steady and after a few moments pausing the screen.
“But?” Carol looked at her frowning a little.
“No buts.” Hannah smiled at her. “Everything is fine, Carol. We’ll make another appointment in three weeks, until that time you’ll have to keep taking your meds. But promise me that you’ll come in sooner if anything feels wrong, okay?” Hannah took a wad of tissues and started to clean Carol’s midsection from the gel.
“So, everything is fine?” Carol looked at the still image on the screen, not seeing much but the little speck that was the child growing inside of her.

“Yes, everything is fine.” Hannah smiled and then directed her attention to Bucky, giving him a smile as well. “Congratulations to you too. It’s easy to overlook the father, but you’re going to have a big role the coming months to keep her healthy and safe.” Then she looked back at Carol. “I know your situation is different from normal human beings, but please listen to your body.”

Carol just nodded, knowing that that was going to be very hard since she didn’t know when enough would be enough.

“Alright. I’ll let you clean yourself up a little more and you can pick up your appointment card when you leave.” Hannah gave her a hand, a smile for Bucky and then left the room.

Carol shifted her head, looking at the man she loved more than anything in this world. “I’m having a few mixed feelings here.” She told him on a whisper. “I’m happy and scared at the same time.” Wiping away the remnants of the tears that had stopped from her cheeks, she looked back at the monitor.

“I need her to be safe, Bucky.” And Carol would go through lengths to make that happen.
08:09 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Yesterday, 08:09 PM
[In-Character] [Post #305]
Jenna offered Benji a smile, glad that there was at least someone willing to play ball. Then again, she probably gave a few other people too little credit. Like Sam and Kate – after all, it did connect somewhat having been around for the other person’s torture sessions, or at least their aftermaths. Then there was Caitlin. And possibly even Nathan. Jenna did not like admitting it, but she often gave her brother less than the credit he deserved. Most of the time she was simply angry with him, and refusing to talk because in her mind it was him who ought to figure out a thing or two.

She was aware of the shadow ghosting across his face when he spoke of this not registering on his radar. His dreams were different to her hunches from what she had gathered. Benji saw specific things, while she had an ability that allowed her to canvas. Apparently, that same ability could latch onto a single person. Then it was less like this new, blueprint-slash-radar kind of ability with which she could see her surroundings but more of someone that gut feeling she had had all of her life.

That the ability had had to pick Carol out of all people left her a bit speechless.

Then Benji paused, and Jenna’s eyes were on him. In that moment, she dropped her sight downwards. Red and green mingled. But there was red, definitely red. “I insist on it”, she murmured, pushing ahead when Benji asked. “I go first, you’re backup”, she turned around for a moment, shooting a grin his way. But he would see her point, would he not?! She was the better moving piece, while he could offer anything ranged.

She drew of her firearms, pulled a knife with the other. She was on the stairs two minutes later. “Telegraph this to them? Once they’re out of hormonal-baby-bliss land.” She waved in a dismissive gesture towards the general direction of Bucky and Carol. It still put her off to consider the woman was pregnant after having just been with her brother. But she had to admit that she could not hate Barnes. She had tried. A lot. Put in real effort – but somehow the calm and patient demeanour of the man had gotten through to her. Too bad that did not quite extend to Carol.

Jenna rounded the last corner, and waited for another few seconds until the overhead lights turned off again. Then she stepped forward, next to the doors leading into the basement that held the morgue. There were several moving dots down here. Not all of them hostile.

“Got a few bystanders”, she informed him. “But at least half a dozen hostiles.” Was there a car park down here? Entrance from a garage maybe? The hostile movement was towards them, and all from the same direction. Jenna still practiced pushing her ability to a greater range. So far, she could not see beyond maybe ten or fifteen yards.

“I point, you shoot”, she said, and realised that maybe they ought to train this. But most important was that he was the centrepiece. Stationary, and out of range of anyone hostile. That way if anything went south, he could just portal them all out of the clinic with no more than a single thought.

Then Jenna was on the move, directly pushing towards the hostiles apparently leading the mission. She took position at the corner, then pushed towards the opposing wall that faced the corridor the two soldiers were coming down along. She flexed the muscles in her legs and pushed off, arms outstretched. Leading with a hook, so to speak. A double hook actually.

The two men went down with a grunt. Jenna rolled forward, jumped to her feet and crouched. Her gaze found Benji. Wrap’em up like Christmas presents. she thought. She wanted the both of them immobile to harvest their tranq guns. Shooting from the guns she carried would only leave dead bodies in their wake, and Jenna doubted that that was a good idea.