Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [NYC] Sotheby's NYC Auction House.

10-08-2019
10:28 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
10-08-2019, 10:28 PM
[In-Character] [Post #71]
It took her several moments to realise that she hadn’t woken up herself, but that someone else had urged her to wake up from the nightmare she had been having. Breathing in heavily, she turned to look at the man sitting next to her bed, for a moment she thought it had been Daniel, in the dark he had the same colour hair, the same stubble…

Calder. It was Calder who had woken her, and she felt like crying right now. She hadn’t had this kind of dream in a long time. Cold sweat covered her body, the stupid sleeping shirt sticking to her skin, and she swallowed. Her throat hurting from the screams.

“I…” But she actually didn’t know what to say. Why did she have that dream now? Why?

Was it because she had killed Peters? Was this her subconscious telling her that no matter what she had done, her family was still dead? That her vengeance had almost cost Calder his life? Because she had done that, hadn’t she?

Her stubbornness had put him in danger, because he tried to tell her that staying away from Peters was the smarter solution.

He had even offered his help. And what had she done? She had punched him in the jaw and then proceeded anyway. Killed a man in cold blood. Even if that man had deserved it. It was not the Marine way. Not a cop’s way. No, it had been Rachel’s way. Her desire for justice, and she had stopped at nothing. Castle had disagreed with her methods more than once, told her that it would ruin her, much like it had ruined him.

She had waved it off. One of the reasons she had broken their working relationship, why she had applied with the cops. Thinking of getting her freedom through that. To not get scrutinised by him.

Rachel should have known better. Frank knew what she was up to, and yet he hadn’t stopped her.

“I dreamt about Daniel…” her voice cracked just saying his name out loud. “We were talking about our honeymoon, when… when… it happened.” She sounded so raw, hoarse. “Why us? Why did he target us?” She felt her eyes burn. In all those years, she had tried to figure out why it had been them specifically, but she never got to the bottom of it. And now she couldn’t anymore, having killed the only person who could have answered that for her.

“Oh, god…” The words came out strangled as she realised that maybe she made a mistake by killing Peters. What if this wouldn’t give her the closure she needed?

“What did I do?” She whispered brokenly, looking at Calder, a violent shudder running through her body.
10:07 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
even if it hurts
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
10-09-2019, 10:07 AM
[In-Character] [Post #72]
Calder dipped one knee forward to slip into a more comfortable crouch. He silently watched Rachel as she woke. His hand slowly sought hers, found it, squeezed it – a reflexive act to try tether her in this world. He watched her, not privy to the thoughts running through her mind and yet having a pretty solid idea of what it was that was putting her into this state.

With the vengeance dealt, there was only one thing left to deal with.
Her husband was really gone.
It was the void that remained in the wake of something as consuming, something as powerful as revenge.

He breathed evenly, his free hand placed across the closed bullet wound on his chest. Slowly, he peeled away the dressing. It was no longer needed. His eyes never left Rachel’s face. The realisations in her mind were like poisonous darts that hit her, one by one. Each one worse than the last as the spiral built itself, taking her with it, downward. Ever just downward.

When she eventually spoke, Calder slowly moved his head in a single nod. A silent signal that he was listening. He squeezed her hand when she mentioned her husband’s name. The hand on his chest moved to find its twin. He crouched on the floor, semi-naked. A pose that was not unlike of a man proposing. So unlike Calder Musgrave – he was silent, waiting patiently. He let her get it out even if just watching her try to do that was uncomfortable. She was hurting. It stood in her eyes, on her face, in her entire posture bright as day.

Then came the questions. The question that always came. The hardest one of them. The why. It was the question that bore no answer. Because more often than not, these things came together in a ridiculous string of incidents. Chaos theory. That was how the world worked. So often individuals did not get what they deserved. So often really terrible things happened to good people.

Rachel was one of them.

“There is no answer,” he said. His voice was a deep, soft rumble in his chest. Calder could see the realisation that arrived at the heels of that question. That the one person who could have answered was gone now – shot dead by no one other than herself. And suddenly, there was a new scenario in her mind. A new one that could evolve, and grow. And endless loop this time. That the answer to her question existed out there but that she had destroyed it.

Calder exhaled as he pushed upward. He drew in air through his nose, making a split second’s decision. Either he would be yet another dead body within the next minutes or he could possibly provide Rachel some comfort. “Come on,” he murmured as he reached forward, one arm around her back, the other through beneath her knees. With ease, Calder shifted the redhead into his arms.

The shiver that raced through her was a violent one, and Calder pressed his lips into a thin line at it. “You did what you felt you had to do,” he said. There was no judgment in his tone. He aimed for absolution instead. Not that he felt like it was his place but maybe she needed someone, anyone, to tell her that it was okay. Then she could possibly come to the conclusion that what was done was done herself and move on.

She was lighter than he had thought, given the muscle this ex-marine-gone-cop certainly had. Tall for a woman, she still fit into his arms just nicely. Calder slowly walked towards the door of her room, taking the both of them out into the hallway. He pushed his lower arms up to tip her further against him, letting the crown of her head find the hollow at the side of his neck. He pushed his cheek against her.

“Something tells me, you would do it all over again, Rachel.” He continued with a soft, low voice – his words meant only for her. Calder walked past the room he had been in – in search of something reminiscent of a living room area. “Own that.” He almost passed that room, then slowly backtracked. “I can help you dig up whatever exists around the …,” he took a moment to pick a word for it. “Hit on your wedding.”

Then he stepped into the living area. On his path past the armchair, he slightly crouched and picked up a blanket. Then he took the both of them onto the couch. His hold on her lightened, giving her the chance to move away from him. It didn’t surprise him when she didn’t. Her skin was chilled. The cold sweat had dried, so Calder unfolded the blanket and pulled it across the both of them. His arm was around her, the other one found the hand resting against the spot where the gunshot wound had been earlier. The skin there was sensitive, would be for a few days. But her touch did not cause discomfort. Quite the opposite he realised. His own hand came to rest over hers.

“But I don’t think you will find the answer … I don’t think there is a why here. You may have looked at him the wrong way, accidentally, in passing. He may have sneezed and your husband, in passing, forgot to wish him well. Something as ridiculous as that.” Calder shrugged, slightly, his voice imploring her to try and accept such a random element to the reasoning behind Daniel’s death. “That was why Peters rose to the top of the New York Chapter so quickly a few years go … he was gunning to take over the East Cost.” Yes, Calder had had his eyes set on the man ready to claim the entire East – a bullet to the brain then would have been great. But Calder did not want to add fuel to the fire. Rachel did not need no more self-berating.

“Rachel, what’s done is done … I get why you did it. I probably would have done exactly the same thing.” As he said this, he pulled his arm tighter around her. Oddly enough, the very intimate way in which they sat here intertwined did not seem odd, did not seem awkward. No matter how much she had driven him up the walls previously, Calder realised he was more than comfortable around her.

“Killing a man is not going to give you closure in this,” Calder said softly. “Only you can do that. You need to close that book … or it’s going to keep haunting you.” Closing his eyes, a small shiver raced up his back. Oh didn’t he know … didn’t he know very well just how true those words were?!

bury my heart next to yours
10-09-2019
11:20 AM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
10-09-2019, 11:20 AM
[In-Character] [Post #73]
Rachel looked at Calder in desperation, begging him to give her an answer to her question but of course there wasn’t one. What had happened to her, to her family, it had been horrific, senseless. There was no reason or rhyme to it. And that made it so much worse, because in her short life she had been dealt with so much pain, and she was the one left standing.

She found herself being lifted from the bed, Calder had her in his arms, and where she once would have fought him, she didn’t have the strength for it. A shiver racked through her body, her arms came around his neck and she let him carry out of the room. His words a soothing Band-Aid on an open wound.

Letting out a shuddering breath, he shifted her, and she found her head fitting nicely in the hollow of his neck. She breathed him in, and it settled something else inside of her.

What he said next had her thinking, would she have done it all over again? Possibly… no, she would have. She would have gone after Peters no matter what. It had been all worth it, she just now had to deal with the after math, and she was glad she didn’t have to do it alone. Glad that Calder was with her.

“I… I would appreciate that.” She told him softly when he offered to help her find out about the hit on her family. Just because he aggravated her sometimes, she wasn’t beyond accepting help. Not when she could clearly see that she had been in the wrong about him. They reached the living area, felt him pick up a blanket and then they were on the couch. Leaning against him her hand had dropped to the spot where he had been shot. Her eyes on it, she knew exactly where he had been hit, even if the skin had smoothed over and there was no visible mark.

Looking back up into his eyes when he told her that she probably wouldn’t find an answer. Offering up possibilities on why Peters would have targeted her and the others. Pressing her lips in a thin line she shook her head once. “I still would like to try.” She told him, even if it didn’t give her an answer. At least she had tried.

She felt her nerves calm down significantly, sitting here with him, hearing him say those things to her, it helped. A lot. Even when he told her that he would have done the same thing, it made her accept what she had done. Or well move further to acceptance. Given time she might accept it completely or she would walk around on this dump with a hole in her soul. Only time would tell.

“I know, I’ve been trying…” She told him, looking at him, seeing him close his eyes and something told her that he was speaking out of experience.

“Cal… thank you.” The words were spoken softly, but she meant them. Without him here, she would have gone nuts, probably gotten herself drunk and do something stupid. Looking at him, she leaned forward and pressed her lips lightly to his in a spur of the moment kind of thing.
08:16 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
even if it hurts
Administrator
Contributor
10-09-2019, 08:16 PM
[In-Character] [Post #74]
Calder nodded when Rachel accepted his offer. Alright, he figured. They would do some digging. He could not help appreciating the idea and her acceptance of it for the simple fact that he was curious to find out more about her. And unveiling more about the Purifiers could not hurt either.

He was glad to feel Rachel relax.

When he once more opened his eyes, he was a bit surprised to find Rachel looking right at him. She shortened his name, and reflexively he swallowed. Something in her gaze was loaded. Her voice was suddenly so soft. Almost like velvet. Calder found it very pleasant, and yet at the same time a small voice in his mind warned him.

Before he knew it, she moved, her face suddenly closer. Then he felt her lips on his. Calder’s lips parted. He tipped his forehead forward ever so slightly, and for a moment he just wanted to give in. Rachel was a beautiful woman. Tall, strong, and yet something so sensual and enticing about her. Just his kind of woman. He swallowed.

Calder knew he could not take advantage of this moment. No more than two minutes earlier she had been screaming in her bed, shouting the name of her dead husband until her throat was raw. Doing anything more than consoling her right now was hardly a good idea.

He cleared his throat and broke the contact before the kiss might progress to a stage where it involved tongues. He felt stupid, idiotic for turning her down. He wondered whether she would be switching back to attack mode any moment now. “Rachel … as much as I would like to do that now … or any day, I don’t think we should do this right now.” He pulled up both eyebrows. “I’m sorry if I sent the wrong signals,” he continued though doubted that this moment had been brought on solely by his actions. Rachel was swimming. In the aftermath of what had happened earlier, she had lost the ground underneath her feet.

“But I don’t think you should be alone right now,” he offered softly. “I can give you space if you preferred that.”

He had to smile in spite of himself – because if he had to be honest, he hoped she didn’t. He wanted to just keep her where she was. Possibly sit watch to keep any more nightmares at bay. Possibly to just hold her, enjoy her warmth and marvel at how good she felt there exactly where she was now.

10-09-2019
09:09 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
10-09-2019, 09:09 PM
[In-Character] [Post #75]
Rachel knew that she shouldn’t be kissing him right now, that her emotions had left her raw and vulnerable, but sitting here with him, a blanket wrapped around them… she felt safe. At ease, there was something more going on between them and in this moment, she could feel it. It was why she had decided to just kiss him, even if it wasn’t the smartest thing to do right now. It still felt right.

What she hadn’t expected was him being a gentleman about it, and before the kiss could deepen, he pulled back. She felt her cheeks heat up, giving them a slight pinkish colour. It was silly really, she was a grown woman, confident enough to kiss someone.

But right now, her emotions were all over the place and getting a form of rejection wasn’t doing them well.

She understood though, understood where he was coming from and he did say that on any other day he would be more than game. That woke something up inside of her, she hadn’t felt for a long time. Not since... “No, you didn’t. I just…” She just what? Wanted to feel like she was living in the now and not the past, to chase away that nightmare. So no he hadn’t send the wrong signals.

Calder surprised her by offering space if she wanted that, and just the mere thought of him leaving her alone right now, made her want to growl at him. Huh.

“I don’t want to be alone.” She said honestly, because it was the truth. Sighing, she lowered her head again, placing it against his chest, just in the hollow of his neck. That should give him an answer about giving her space. Rachel wasn’t going to let him go. She let her hand rest on his chest, on the spot where the bullet had gone through. Sitting here with him, this close, it soothed her.

It felt so right, which should have frightened her, since she hadn’t felt this with another man since her husband’s death but somehow that door had started to open up again. “Is it me or…” She didn’t know how to word it precisely. Ever since she had met him, there was just something, something that just clicked on a subconscious level.

“Never mind, I’m sure it’s my over imaginative mind combined with lack of sleep.” She murmured, without realising she was letting her index finger caress his skin. She yawned then, her body finally warming back up again and tiredness pressing in.
12:22 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
even if it hurts
Administrator
Contributor
10-18-2019, 12:22 PM
[In-Character] [Post #76]
Calder watched Rachel. Her reaction and action after the kiss he had basically denied her. It felt strange, to be quite honest. Calder was usually not the one to turn down a beautiful woman. And it had occurred more than once that he would take advantage of a situation to a point. Still, right now, considering the kind of trauma Rachel had gone through, he could not let himself do that. Quite selfishly, he did not want to serve as giving the body to Rachel’s need to re-enacting a connection to her dead husband. Calder could vividly remember the pleasure it had been to find himself entangled with her in that hallway. He knew he should contemplate the why’s and how’s … but he had already tasted blood. Part of him wanted more now.

More that was for him.

She denied his offer to leave her alone and Calder comfortably settled in once more. Rachel did the same and her head rested against his neck, her hand on his chest. He pushed his across it. She yawned, then started a question but veered off. Calder let his head rest against the top of hers, his eyes slid shut.

“Talk to me,” he prompted her as he drew the blanket closer around them. She was nice and warm against him, her figure so slender but strong. He could smell the shampoo she’d used and a whiff of perfume still clinging to her skin. Her fingers gently danced across his chest. Just tiny movements but enough to send warm shivers through his body. Calder swallowed, willing with all his might to not have his body respond to the ministration. Eventually, he simply interlocked his fingers with hers to stop her.

“What’s on your mind?” he prompted her, wondering whether she would respond at all or doze off. What was it that had occurred to her? Calder once more remembered Baldur’s words.

She’s one of us.

Yesterday
01:19 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Yesterday, 01:19 PM
[In-Character] [Post #77]
Calder prompted her to talk to him, but she had no idea how to explain this. Where to start, or how to put it into words, it was something she felt. She snuggled in some more, the blanket warm around her, his body equally so. It put her at ease, her mind drifting off, the sensation that she couldn’t explain pulling forth a memory she tried to forget on a daily base.

Her gaze fell to her hand, where her fingers were entwined with his. It felt good, familiar, and it made her think of Daniel when he held her after she had one of her nightmares.

Their hands were covering the location where Calder had been shot and she closed her eyes. Things she had long forgotten surfacing and mingling with nightmares she wanted to forget but couldn’t.

“I should have died that night.” She murmured, dragging the memory back up. “I got shot five times.” But if you looked at her body, you had to almost press your eyes against the spots to even see the scars. She couldn’t even call them scars, just skin that was a bit lighter coloured than the rest. “The doctor called it a miracle, but I don’t believe in those.”

It was something her mother had once told her that kept running through her mind. “We’re special Rachel, maybe one day you’ll find out how special.” When she had prompted her mother to explain she had just smiled and kissed her good night, Rachel had been five at the time. So, when she had been shot and should have died, she had survived and had recovered faster than normal.

“Twice in the chest, two in my abdomen and one in the shoulder.” She whispered; her eyes still closed. “I should have bled out, but I didn’t.” When she read her own file, she couldn’t make sense of it all. According to that, she should have died.

“My scars, they look like yours.” She pointed out, licking her lips, while her brain tried to connect the pieces to a mystery that was her life. She sighed, a yawn following, as she tried to put her jumbled thoughts into words.

“I feel safe with you, like I’ve known you for a very long time.” Which they both knew wasn’t the case. “Why is that?” She shifted a little, opening her eyes and looking at him as she tried to wrap her mind around this conundrum.