Midnight Shadows

Caelus
Renegade
Pity the Child
Contributor
Name: Ecks (M)
Style: Tyrant
Gender is one of the basics of character creation. How do you determine the gender of your characters? For the most part, it seems as though gender is determined without thinking as you create the character automatically knowing that it's male or female. Is that true for you, or do you decided on a gender at some other point? What factors influence your decision?

What about playing a character of the opposite gender to yourself? Have you ever done it? What made you do it? Is it easier or harder to play someone of the opposite gender? Do you prefer it?

12-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Black Widow
Scourge
Teen Idle
Contributor
Name: Carly (F)
My characters are normally female, I very rarely make a male character.

I prefer to play a female character as I find it easier, but I can play men too if I have too, just not as well. Then again one of my favourite characters to play is a male character.

12-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Sobriquet
Celestial
playing for free
Contributor
Name: Tom (M)
I can't play female characters. I tried it once a long time ago in The Summoning and it just didn't work for me. It may have been more about what that character was like than what gender she was but I just didn't enjoy it or feel comfortable doing it. I'm glad I came to that realisation, though, or I would have likely tried to keep making female character that weren't working.

expensive lies, but you're playing for free

12-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Immortal
Magi
Weak Fantasy
Contributor
Name: Todd (M)
Gender is always something that I tend to have worked out before I even need it to be worked out. The finer points of the personality tend to come after gender and what type of character they are. I almost dread when a female character comes to life in my mind, though.

I rarely play female characters, though. I've tried and I'm not terrible, I don't think, but I have a huge disconnect with the thought process of a woman so I don't ever feel like I'm doing the female character as much justice as I would like. Getting their actions and speech down but it's the subtext and motivation that always eludes me. So, I don't mind doing it but it's certainly a challenge.
Fear is a choice you embrace.

12-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Cerulean
Celestial
Stripey Socks
Contributor
Name: Richts (F)
I only lately started playing some male characters. Kids are easier, I find adults more difficult. I am kind of still trying to figure it all out.

The gender is however automatically chosen. I choose whether I find the character interesting enough to play then.

12-22-2011, 09:00 PM
The Riddler
Bloodshadow
Shadow Child
Contributor
Name: Andy (M)
I tend to go towards male because I wouldn't be able to play female, can't figure out what they think

12-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Loki
Aquilae
counting stars
Contributor
Name: Fred (F)
I think my character gender ratio varies; one game will favor male characters and another game with favor female characters My first few characters were female I think because they were a little easier, then I just picked up a guy once and have tried to play one in every game since - except in Genesis and CHB not sure why I didn't pick one out for either of those. I don't think always have a character's gender in mind when I create them, sometimes it just develops as the character does and then even chages; Echo was originally supposed to be male, but turned female during the bio writing stage. Sometimes I pick a gender based on the currently established character gender ratio in a given game. Then there's the random one like Mira that wasn't originally my creation at all, but she's definitely become my character.

I don't know, I don't mind playing either anymore and actually kind of like playing a guy sometimes

12-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Obsidian
burning bright
Contributor
Name: Gina (F)
I have a majority of female chars but I don't avoid having male chars. Usually for RPing, I'll get an idea for a name around the same time as I decide on an AI and go from there. I'll decide on gender and name as the starting point. After that either the full character appears at once and it's just a case of typing out the biography or I can spend days or weeks thinking about the character and how to develop them to suit the RPG. I think personality is more difficult to adapt to in characters than gender. The gender falls into place with everything else but it's the personality that proves most problematic.
I keep forgetting I should let you go,
but when you look at me, the only memory,
is us kissing in the moonlight.

12-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Tyrant
The Red King
A Cat of a Different Coat
Contributor
Name: Aody (M)
I have created one female character and I don't think she's been in (m)any playing threads. Female characters are more difficult to play for me, for some reason. This doesn't really apply to NPCs though. I have no problem filling in a post for someone like Lucreti, Vas, etc. etc. but for some reason female characters with bios and stuff? Really difficult.

Which is a shame because I really had a few ideas for female characters, especially in EC.

So I guess what I'm saying is that gender is thought of immediately, though I don't know if this is usually because I'll play exclusively male characters.
Watch your little black sheep run.

12-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Serenity
Renegade
Swan Song
Contributor
Name: Cornelia (F)
I only play females, so there goes my decision process. I have never played males except for one time when me and friend played each other's character's boyfriends. I think we both wanted to keep the story between us in a way and I wanted to experiment with playing a male. It's definitely harder to play males because I have no idea how they think. I suppose you can learn but I just never feel comfortable doing so; it's like putting another skin that isn't mine. I think that one male character I played felt more like a female in a male face, which was... wrong. So I've stuck to playing females ever since.
Losing him was blue like I’d never known
Missing him was dark grey all alone
Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you've never met
But loving him was red

01-12-2012, 10:47 AM