03-15-2012
09:08 PM
Pity the Child

Contributor
Name: Ecks (M)
Coven: chwech
03-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Emotional outlet [Post #1]
I was wondering how many of us use writing as a way to release pent up emotions. Not necessarily a piece of prose or poetry, but I mean RP'ing. Is it a viable means of releasing those pent up frustrations? Or is RP'ing different to other types of writing in that it takes a certain type of head space to be in to allow you into the minds of your character. Would your RL emotions upset the equilibrium of writing your creations and therefore prevent you from writing or do they add fuel to the fire? Curious as to everyone's thoughts.
03-15-2012
09:10 PM
playing for free

Contributor
Name: Tom (M)
Coven: FGB:1
03-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Absolutely. There are certain characters that I can write almost all the time (Sam, Ash) but there are others that I could never post if I was in a bad mood (X has a very specific mindset) and playing out some of my more aggressive and volatile characters when I'm in one of those pent up frustrated moods actually does help to make me feel better. It's scapegoating in a way, I suppose and using the character as a conduit to get the anger out without being destructive.

expensive lies, but you're playing for free

03-16-2012
01:43 AM
Teen Idle

Contributor
Name: Carly (F)
Coven: MotC
03-16-2012, 01:43 AM
I definitely think that RP'ing in a great emotion outlet. Whatever my mood I can find a character that fits that mood and use that character to deal with whatever it is I'm feeling. If I'm feeling particularly hyper I'd post Willow, If I'm feeling angry or moody then it's Ronnie, If I'm feeling down then I can post Beth. Sophie and Freya I can post any time.

If I've got stuff going on in RL I do have to be careful what character I try and post, there's not point trying to post Willow if I'm feeling angry or upset because that will show in her and she's just not that kind of character. Just like if I was feeling very happy or hyper I couldn't post Ruby in CHB or Ronnie in FGB because that's not them at all. It would be hard to switch into their mindset.
03-16-2012
05:00 AM
Weak Fantasy
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Todd (M)
Coven: DEvil
03-16-2012, 05:00 AM
I'm in agreement, but in a slightly different way. It's more or less, I turn to characters to play when I'm having an almost... opposite reaction to something. If I'm frustrated and exhausted in real life, Teddy comes out just a bit more hopeful and optimistic to try and help me balance myself out. But my real life 100% affects how I'm posting. If I have dangerously unsavory feelings/thoughts, it's impossible to play Marcus because trying to work together with him and his mindset against mine just makes it to where I end up not liking my posts and end up just tossing them. So, I think my characters are an emotional outlet, but more or less as a way to help me find balance rather than channel a specific emotion into a specific character.
08:12 AM
Administrator
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
Coven: A7A
Style: Sovereign
04-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Hush

I'm in agreement, but in a slightly different way. It's more or less, I turn to characters to play when I'm having an almost... opposite reaction to something. If I'm frustrated and exhausted in real life, Teddy comes out just a bit more hopeful and optimistic to try and help me balance myself out. But my real life 100% affects how I'm posting. If I have dangerously unsavory feelings/thoughts, it's impossible to play Marcus because trying to work together with him and his mindset against mine just makes it to where I end up not liking my posts and end up just tossing them. So, I think my characters are an emotional outlet, but more or less as a way to help me find balance rather than channel a specific emotion into a specific character.
That's pretty much how it works for me too. I usually play the opposite (RPing for me is pure escapism ) of what's going on in RL. Like if I'm all happy with unicorns farting rainbows and such - then I'll dig into chars such as Lucius or the more emotional type. If I'm sad, angry - I'll probably end up playing a very bubbly Daraiya.

Anything that hits too close to home in those moments is basically not what I need. Also I've come to notice that for example trying to play an emotional scene when I'm already sad / depressed / upset will have my RL feelings leak into the IC post and I REALLY don't like that because it kind of dilutes the image of the char I have in my mind.

I do use RPing, though, for testing out certain pov's and schools of thoughts - like to run through certain argumentations of how you'd feel / what you'd do in a certain situation - but still, never when I'm in that situation (or one similar) in RL. It takes away the objective angle which is what's important to me here.

Did this make sense?

bury my heart next to yours