Midnight Shadows

Midnight Shadows   \   Distraction & Recreation   \   The Moonlight   \   Emotional Attachment to Characters

Immortal
Magi
Weak Fantasy
Contributor
Name: Todd (M)
Emotional Attachment to Characters
Characters, in a lot of ways, are our babies. We bring them to life and we watch them grow and change as we play them. It's easy to get attached.

So, I have a few questions for those seasoned RPers.

Are there any scenes that you can recall that triggered an intense emotional response on your part?

Do you sometimes feel like you're neglecting or abusing a character with plans you have for them and then feel sorry for them?

What's the most extreme example of character attachment you have witnessed in yourself?
Fear is a choice you embrace.

01-11-2012, 07:04 AM
Imzadi
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
Style: Sovereign
Originally Posted by Hush View Post

Are there any scenes that you can recall that triggered an intense emotional response on your part?
A LOT! Especially from the good old TS days. I'd bawl my way through posts left and right - especially the Thayer ones. Like when Thayer arrived in Esthar, to find his sister shot and killed. Or when he arrived on the scene to find a dead Kira - god, those were 2-3 posts that had me wailing. A lot of Thayer's very bumpy path (all inspired by early SPN and amazing acting by the incredible Jensen Ackles who lent Thayer his face) was highly emotional in that way.

These days it's Gabriel very much touching me when I post him. He's going through some highly emotional times, and whether it is that he's happy or sad or struggling, it usually really gets to me. In the good ways.

Do you sometimes feel like you're neglecting or abusing a character with plans you have for them and then feel sorry for them?
A lot Again Thayer being the prime suspect. He started out as my guilty pleasure of getting to play my own Dean xD ... then I killed off Mandalay (his sister, also one of my characters) and he did a whole 180 on me.

In hindsight, I did mad things to Menefer (EC). Bringing him from a rather high-spirited man to someone rather introverted and withdrawn these days. Or Daraiya (EC), I'm currently throwing her for one loop following the other and I dunno how she'll make it through or out of this. But I cannot help it. The plot bunnies are so tempting me with their hopping, and fluffy tails, and ... ARGH!

What's the most extreme example of character attachment you have witnessed in yourself?
One and a half years after TS being closed down, I STILL cannot listen to "If You Only Knew" by Shinedown. That song's forever tied to one Thayer DeShaune and it kills me listening to that song because he's back in my head immediately, with all of his pain, longing and all the scars he's carried away from what he went through. When I first put that song back on after about six months after the RPG being shut down, I'd sit in my char and I'd tear up because the emotions, images etc. welling up in my head from him were overwhelming Yeah, I know. Little nuts, huh?

bury my heart next to yours

01-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Dreamscape
hostage to the light
Contributor
Name: Amy (F)
Style: Avengers
When I think of emotional attachments, Jess and Luca are the first thing that come to my mind. Anytime they've been split, or when Luca died, I swear I loose a piece of my soul. There's certain songs, and certain places that if I listen to or see, I get choked up, or smile. For example, during the Luca death scene, I did cry a couple times (though I think it also had to do with the fact that I had the image of my Grandma crying over my Grandpa's death, which had happened a few months earlier).

Still, that's the character I have the most emotional attachment to.
fear is a choice you embrace

01-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Gemini Shine
Shadow Child
Contributor
Name: Sarah (F)
Oh gosh, emotional attachment to characters. Seriously, this topic is way up my alley. Those of you who are over at PE, or have been recently, I have a character by the name of Ivan Reid. I've been playing him since mid-2007, and he's become something of an extension of my mind. Of all the characters I write, he comes easiest to me and I can usually write him when I have no muses for anyone else.

Naturally over that time, there are a number of scenes that stand out in my mind when I think over his 'life'. There was a scene there in a record shop where his best friend tells him he is dying and Ivan admits that he loves him. It was rather tragic really. There was another scene, set on New Years Eve, where it looked like the two might actually get together, and then didn't, causing Ivan to start a punch up in the for being led on. They sort of came around in the end though. Then there was the scene in the log cabin up in the snowy mountains, the goodbye scene when Chris moved to New York, the scene in Chris' house when Ivan came to New York and demanded Chris choose him instead of the young girl Chris had met and fallen in love with, last Christmas, the wedding ceremony... It never ends. Ivan's had a long, eventful life.

One of the most emotional scenes, I think, would have been the goodbye scene in the park when Chris was leaving. Ivan desperately wanted to go, but couldn't, and it broke his heart to let Chris go. I remember that day. It was an Easter Sunday, and I was writing the scene in the lounge room and crying bucket loads. Unfortunately, my parents were in the same room as me, so it made it very awkward. I had been dreading that scene for days. It was the first time I'd been so emotionally invested in a character with such an extreme amount of pain that I cried with him.

I can't deny that I have definitely put the guy through the ringer. He gets abused mercilessly sometimes. He's had a couple of fights with lung cancer, almost not making it through the most recent battle. He's had family dramas, child dramas, his record company is going down the drain and that's only the things I can remember.

I found a big poster of Jude Law as Dr Watson at the cinemas the other day. Jude Law is the actor I use to portray Ivan, and I can't see Jude as any one else. But I bought this giant poster because it meant I could have a giant Ivan poster. And then I went around making grabby hands at all the Watson posters and things around the cinema. I was somewhat glad it was a cinema I don't frequent and with Kirsten, my role-play partner, who was behaving in much the same fashion. If anyone I knew had seen me, I would have been most embarrassed.

01-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Sobriquet
Celestial
playing for free
Contributor
Name: Tom (M)
I find myself being attached to characters without realising it and then when I have to realise that they've gone as far as they can and I have to retire them, I get upset. Ashton was an example of this. I love Ashton but I had to accept that if he continued to be played, he was only going to be broken even further. It took me a good few weeks to actually get around to hitting that retire button but I know it was absolutely the best thing to do. As Carly said at the top for Freya, I'm like this with Ryan. Ryan will always be there in the back of my head and I dare not go into his headspace again. If I do then I'll never get out and I'll want to bring him back which would only ruin him further. I think a lot of being attached to a character is also knowing when it's time to let them go.

As for current characters, I have a lot of Samuel and Oliver feelings. Several people can attest to be constant frustration with Samuel's inability to do anything I want him to but whilst it annoys, it's also what makes me love him as well. He does what he wants and he's such a prominent character in my head now that even if I don't want him to do something, he knows he'll do it anyway. His feelings for Noelle were absolutely not planned - Carly and I had a plot for him and Ronnie - but he did it anyway and it all worked out for the best in the end. And Ollie. Sweet, little Ollie. Ever since Ashton went, Ollie's become the naive, kind little character that I like to abuse but for all the bad things I throw at him, he's still one of my favourites and I get upset when bad things happen to him (even if I've made them happen)

expensive lies, but you're playing for free

01-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Caelus
Renegade
Pity the Child
Contributor
Name: Ecks (M)
Style: Tyrant

Probably the Sky/Gray thread I had a while back. I was so emotionally invested in that thread because (as I dimly recall and could be wrong about this) it was a Looking Glass thread and so not real. The 'actual' Sky had accidentally killed himself by trying to to get revenge for the person he cared about. I remember in that particular post I hadn't even intended to kill Sky, but the post wrote itself and once the words were down I couldn't take them back. It just fit for him.

Fast forward to the Sky/Gray thread I found myself desperate for Sky to be happy, as though he was going to get a second chance and even if it was not real, it felt like a better send off for him. Cue a spanner in the works in the shape of Juliet and it just ruined the character and me. I felt really guilty at what had happened to Sky, and felt his pain because it really was like he was getting his heart ripped out. I couldn't play him for a long, long time after that because he was so tortured.

As per above with Sky. Same with Reese, actually. He came *this* close to a happy ending and then he was murdered. I don't know what it says about me but that boy cannot get a happy ending. Even now he's alive again and seemingly happy, something in the back of my head tells me it's all going to end in tears because that's what happens with Reese. He's like destined to be miserable.

I felt bad for Noah and all the stuff I put him through last year, but then as a character he's gone through so many changes and he's far removed from the character I originally created. Sometimes I enjoy putting him in a bad place because it helps me reconnect with the original character and helps me figure out what he'll do next.

Sky's sort of suicide and Juliet in the Gray thread. It was then that I realised that he's probably my favourite because I experienced everything along with him and felt terrible about doing it to him in the first place.

02-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Captain America
Renegade
keep your eyes open
Contributor
Name: Tommy (M)
Style: Avengers

Definitely Reese's death. Gray was emotionally crushed and I went with him! I ended up crying and that's a hard thing for me to do. I was just so sad because Reese was only just adjusting to his life again and it seemed really cruel for him to get taken away. I can definitely see why Gray was so distraught.

I'm like this with Gray all the time. I give him plots that continually test him and turn him into this person that he doesn't want to be. I do feel sorry for him but his life is characterized by trauma and I don't see that stopping at any point.

Either the aforementioned scene where Reese died and Gray started to take everything in, including the short but heartbreaking talk with Noah over Reese's body or when he first told Juliet that he loved her and she rejected him. He was opening himself up for the first time ever and he was turned away. He didn't know how to deal with that rejection and I could feel every ounce of hurt and hatred that he was experiencing. He'd spent his whole life thinking about that moment and it couldn't have gone any worse.
so turn around, well they've surrounded you

it's a showdown and nobody comes to save you now

02-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Laudanum
Renegade
remember when...
Contributor
Name: Mel (F)

The most intense emotional responses I've had to any of my characters is intense sobbing and on some occasions, extreme exhaustion. Calandra involved quite a lot of tears, but that's mostly due to the fact that her storyline became so angsty that even the thought of playing her makes me slightly nauseous.

Braithe feels me with trepidation and a ridiculous amount of glee. But every time I remember playing out the scene where she tells Menefer that she a) had a baby and b) that he was kidnapped. I'm getting teary even thinking about it.

I feel like I've probably abused both Calandra and Braithe the most. Both of them went through so much pain that it still makes me feel wretched. Even now as I'm still fleshing out Braithe's past (a constant job) it seems like I do nothing but kill off her friends and family. Now I feel like I'm making it up to Braithe though. She's got the 3 people (+ 1 dragon) she needs most back in her life, so it makes me feel less guilty.

I do feel like I'm neglecting Jaime though which makes me a little sad. This'll be fixed in a week or so.

Other than crying on public transport randomly? Sobbing listening to the character soundtracks I've made. Not being able to watch films/tv shows that have the AI's in them without being distressed or elated by what the AI is doing (for example, watching Robin Hood is like a dream come true because it's like watching a version of Braithe actually kicking ass, although the last episode of season 2 breaks me into tiny pieces because it's like watching it happen to my character).
don't you ever tame your demons
but always keep 'em on a leash

02-12-2012, 11:57 PM