Midnight Shadows

Midnight Shadows   \   Distraction & Recreation   \   The Moonlight   \   First/Third Person

Sobriquet
Celestial
playing for free
Contributor
Name: Tom (M)
First/Third Person
Of course, almost all of the writing that we do here on MS is done in third person but has anyone ever attempted to write in first person in any of their own work - or, even, in any of their posts - and what is the difference for you? Do you like reading/writing first person or is it third person only for you?

expensive lies, but you're playing for free

01-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Serenity
Renegade
Swan Song
Contributor
Name: Cornelia (F)
Style: Tyrant
My finished novel is written in first person. My other Work-in-Progress works aren't, though. I'm not sure why this is. I think the point of view is something that you just know how to decide. I think I made the decisions subconsciously when I started those various works and just started writing either in first person or third person.

The difference is, of course, with first person you get to delve more into the main character's head and explain their thoughts and reasoning. You also get to make observations and question other people's behavior because your point of view is not omniscient. You get to show doubts and confusion more effectively. In a way, third person when roleplaying is almost the same way, so although I haven't tried first person in RPing yet, I feel like if I did there wouldn't be much difference for me.

I prefer third person most of the time in posts and certain writings, but with readings I'm not fussed. Sometimes I like third person better simply for variety and because most Young Adult books I read are written in first person and it's nice to explore other characters' point of views.
Losing him was blue like I’d never known
Missing him was dark grey all alone
Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you've never met
But loving him was red

01-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Imzadi
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
Style: Sovereign
Originally Posted by Nefertiti View Post

The difference is, of course, with first person you get to delve more into the main character's head and explain their thoughts and reasoning. You also get to make observations and question other people's behavior because your point of view is not omniscient. You get to show doubts and confusion more effectively.
Absolutely agreed. First person IMO is a lot more immediate, a lot more inside the action.

It really depends. Generally I will go for third person. Also since using first person pov requires you as a write to know your character's thought patter and be very clear on how they verbalize these thoughts - because I find that you have to use that way to verbalize to tell the story. If you end up using a distanced, detailed and systematic kind of telling the story in first person you either have a distant, systematic character or should use third person instead.

I did some first person for Menefer (EC) and actually quite a lot of it for Daraiya (EC). Malaric (EC) as well, which helped a LOT to figure out who he is when I just created him. Other than that, I think I could easy do Devin (FGB) in first person.
There are other characters who to me simply dont lend themselves to first person. Lucius (EC) or Michael (FGB) being examples.

Personally I enjoy reading a well done first person post in RPing because it gives a whole different insight into characters. And that is REALLY interesting at times. But I do think I'm rather glad that we mostly work in third person. I think I'd grow pretty tired of first person all the time real quick - as I have actually in the YA genre.

bury my heart next to yours

01-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Immortal
Magi
Weak Fantasy
Contributor
Name: Todd (M)
I think it's important to be able to do both in RPing, at least in the sense that it allows you to connect with certain characters far better. I would never have finished Teddy's bio if he didn't write it. Through that, I got to know this character and understand him on a personal level.

That isn't to say that you can't do that through third person but third person almost feels like an observation at times when maybe something more is needed.

In my own writings, though, I tend to stick to third person.
Fear is a choice you embrace.

01-16-2012, 05:39 AM
Sobriquet
Celestial
playing for free
Contributor
Name: Tom (M)
If I remember correctly, the only two characters that I've ever been able to write significantly in first person for are Gabriel and Samuel (which I'm not sure is a good thing given what they're like but I digress). I think I just feel so much more comfortable writing from an outsider point of view who is observing the action as opposed to partaking in it, if that makes sense? It doesn't make the emotion or the connection any less important but it works better for me. There are some characters - Oliver, Flynn, Joaquin - who I could never even consider writing in first person.

expensive lies, but you're playing for free

02-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Cyndrome
Bloodshadow
Fangtastic
Contributor
Name: Cyn(thia) (F)
Style: Eclipse
I have written autobiographic work in first person and also did some first person character studies. I think you get really into the head of a character when you write first person. It really needs that connection to come of believable though. And it can be exhausting as well, as you demand from yourself to feel everything your character feels as well. With third person you still will feel everything the person feels, but you can be a bit more objective.

02-05-2012, 01:48 AM
OdellBay
Shadow Child
Style: Tyrant
I've done this too. When I'm exploring the character, I always write in first person. I also sometimes write in first person when I want to explore a certain situation from a few perspectives. Purely as an exercise.

02-10-2018, 03:56 PM