Midnight Shadows Distraction & Recreation The Reliquary Christmas and New Years Eve

11-30-2011
08:02 AM
You're familiar...
RPG Manager
Contributor
Name: Mari (F)
Coven: A7A
11-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Christmas and New Years Eve [Post #1]
The season is almost upon us - and if you were to believe the shops and their decorations you' believe we've ended smack dead in the middle of the season - and so I wonder about your holiday season rituals!

How do you spend the holidays? Do you celebrate Christmas, or another traditional holiday? Do you skip it all together and focus more on New Years Eve? Who do you spend those special days with?

And what about food? Is the food important? Do you or your family spend ages in the kitchen preparing a traditional meal? And what are the traditional dishes where you guys live? Or is the company more important than the food and do you all come together, indulge in all things unhealthy and have a few drinks and a few laughs?

Shopping! Another one of those things... do you guys buy presents for everybody in your family, or do you pull a name from a hat and buy for only that person?

And what about Christmas cards? Do you send them? Do you like getting them? Do you write a standard text for everybody or make it a personal inscription?

(Also, if any of you want a Christmas card - real or virtual - shoot me a PM with your email or home address and you'll be getting some lovely wishes from me!)

Now tell me all about your holiday season!
10:16 AM
Teen Idle

Contributor
Name: Carly (F)
Coven: MotC
11-30-2011, 10:16 AM
I celebrate Christmas and it's a big family day for me. We wake up early swap presents (We buy for each person in the family) and then around 10am my whole family (Mum, dad, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins) head over to my nan's house where we swap more presents. We spend a few hours there before heading home. Once home we finish cooking the Christmas dinner and we normally end up eating about 3-4pm. I love Christmas dinner, its probably one of my favourite parts of the day xD then in the evening we all sit around and watch films or play board games or do singstar on the wii. It's pretty fun

I don't have any traditions for New Year, I don't have any plans for this year either, I'll just see what happens.

I don't really send out Christmas Cards, I used to when I was at school but I haven't sent any over the last few years.
11-30-2011
01:48 PM
Love all, trust a few.
Name: Daphne (F)
Coven: Guide
11-30-2011, 01:48 PM
I love Christmas, but I actually like preparing for it more than I like the whole thing itself. My sister's birthday's on the 26th, so we always celebrate everything the evening before. We (my parents and my two sisters, although one of my sister's spending it with her husband these days) have a nice breakfast, spend the afternoon preparing dinner and wrapping presents, and in the evening my grandparents come over, we swap presents and then have dinner, usually turkey. My mom loves cooking and we all love helping out when we're in a good mood, so we usually spend the whole day in the kitchen, talking, slicing and dicing and whatnot

I usually buy my sisters, my parents and my grandparents small gifts. I'd love to buy my brother-in-law and my other sister's boyfriend something as well (he apparently got me something amazing, and now I feel guilty for not getting him anything), but that would require lots of thought and since I'll be epically busy with essays and exams til the 23rd, I won't have time for that .

I don't send Christmas cards because I don't have anyone's address and I don't really have the time to write personal messages in every card, and that's something I'd want to do. I love getting cards though
02:12 PM
burning bright
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Gina (F)
Coven: DE
11-30-2011, 02:12 PM
Christmas has always been a great family day. No matter what other holiday I work (including my birthday, one year!), Xmas is the one day I insist on taking off work. As long as I can remember, we've got up ridiculously early to open presents and then relax for a while before starting on dinner. My mam has cooked it for the past 10yrs at least. I get roped in to help - which means I get to snack on food being prepared.

Generally, it goes pretty well but there are years when it's been complete chaos (usually if me & my brother start arguing - which you'd think we both should know better but we don't - even the past two years when I've been living away from home). We just clash too much. Last year though, I worked Xmas Eve and didn't get finished 'til around 2am and ended up sleeping for a few hours on the afternoon because I couldn't stay awake.

I'm at a loss for what to do this New Year's Eve. For the past four years, I've always worked that shift and between my best friend not having a babysitter and probably wanting a quiet night, other friends with children that might not get a babysitter and others who are all loved up, I'm half wishing I still had a job that would require me to work! It's likely that I'll probably end up having a quiet night and not even staying awake to midnight.
11-30-2011
03:45 PM
You're familiar...
RPG Manager
Contributor
Name: Mari (F)
11-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Up until a few years ago, finding a suitable day to celebrate Christmas with our family was our main concern. And you'll tell me "Well, it's not difficult, there's only one Christmas", and you're right. But my brother-in-law and I both work for the national railway company and we used to both work in shifts. So it was hard finding a day, or moment, we were both off work.
These days I don't work shifts anymore so that's made easier. We're a small family so it's usually just my parents, my sister and brother-in-law and their daughter, and then Sam and I and our daughters.

And usually either my mom, my sister or I have everybody over and then that person cooks dinner (though in the case of my sister and I, my mom usually comes to help us... would she be telling us something by that? ).
Nothing special or traditional, but good food and good drinks. Especially desert is something I look forward to from the start of the entire dinner. It's like a specially decorated cake with chocolate and whipped cream and sponge in the middle...simply delicious!

For presents we usually wait until everybody has arrived and then during pre-dinner drinks we'll exchange gifts. We all put our name in a hat weeks before (we'll be doing that this weekend) and we each draw a name and buy them a secret gift. And for the kids we all buy gifts, regardless of who drew their name or not. And couple will buy for each other as well. It's complicated

New Years is usually spent among friends with a dress up party. And since we all have kids, we just put them to sleep at the start of the evening. And that's funny to see cause the entire first floor of our house, each room has a baby bed in it, or air mattresses to sleep on. And then we party downstairs.
We didn't do it last year, can't remember why, and this year there's no dress up, just food. And we're planning on renting a chalet next year in the Ardennen to spend new years with our friends and all the kids
(Sounds all grown-uppy doesn't it? )

I love writing Christmas cards, and I make the effort of writing something personal to everybody. I try to think of that person and what he or she has done or said in the past year to inspire me, and go from there.
I also love getting Christmas cards and hang them up in the house each year. I even keep them, in a huge box. It's funny to reread them every now and then
04:57 PM
hostage to the light

Contributor
Name: Amy (F)
Coven: Guide
Style: Avengers
12-07-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm still not sure how we're going to handle Christmas this year. It falls on a Sunday, and my dad's a pastor, so he's obviously having church that morning. We always go down to Grandma's though. Some things shouldn't change! We always have the "Christmas special", which is the best breakfast casserole ever, open presents, and all that jazz. Parades, football, and dinner. I'm still not sure who's going to be coming, so I guess we'll see what happens.
09:33 PM
Administrator
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
Style: Sovereign
12-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Christmas has changed LOADS for me in the past few years. It used to be very laid back. I'd show up at my folks for the afternoons of the 24th and the 25th and that would be that.

Now? Well Matt and I keep the 24th to ourselves. It's me insisting on that because it's what I remember from my childhood. Christmas Eve was always just my folks and me. I really like it that way. Presents are done on Christmas Eve too. And it's always been real quality family time. It's something I really want to continue with my own kid(s).

Then on Christmas Day we have the Goose (that this year it's likely going to be duck instead is so barely acceptable) for lunch. It's kinda becoming a habit for my parents to come to us for the day at this point. Lukas is not yet at an age where I can drag him around for 2 days on end, and with most of the family living closer to where we live than my parents it just makes sense that day.

Boxing Days we usually spend with the in-laws. It's the day Matt's daughter spends with us so it makes sense to do it this way around. So that day we'll be spending with Matt's parents, his brother and girlfriend and a couple more of that side of the family. We're going to their place because they do only live a 20 minute drive away. The food it appears is taken care of by my sister-in-law and me. My father-in-law would only end up ordering from a caterer and my sis-in-law and I usually don't stand for that. So this year we're either making a finger food buffet or we're actually going to make another duck or goose. I would prefer the finger-food.

Concerning food. Well what's something I grew up with (and what's apparently a part in a lot of households in this country for Christmas) is sausages and potato salad (Würstchen und Kartoffelsalat). Whenever you don't have duck, goose, fish or what have you of the big dishes, you have that. In my family, we have a self-made version of potato salad that's got trout in it too. It's yummier than it might sound. And then there HAS to be poultry of some kind along with red cabbage and potato dumplings! A Christmas without that is no Christmas for me

What I miss most about the holidays is Dec 27th. That used to be my day off. Even if the entire year was stressful I'd always spend that day playing videogames and doing absolutely nothing. Day after christmas, before my Bday - in between everything. I miss that!

bury my heart next to yours
12-07-2011
10:36 PM
Fire and Blood

Contributor
Name: Kieran (M)
Coven: FGB II
Style: Sovereign
12-07-2011, 10:36 PM
For a while it used to be that Christmas Eve was the night to work, last year I didn't do much but wrap presents. This year however, I shall be out partying till early morning me thinks, am going out with friends & family. Usually I'd go to Nick's parents, but this year I'm at my Mum's, I'm bringing the booze. I did however want a Heston's Christmas Pudding, but the Bracknell branch ran out LOL!

So Christmas day will probably involve my Mum ringing me too early and demanding I go to her's so she can open her presents, then it'll be breakfast, pop to see my Grandad's grave, Christmas dinner, booze, afternoon nap and then probably will involve some form of entertainment. I cannot wait for my Mum's Christmas dinner, I always overeat because it's that gorgeous.

New Year's will be spent out partying, I've either worked or been at home during the last 3-4 years. This year I'm going out, having fun and not coming home until the sun is up and my bank balace at 0.00.