Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [NYC] Visitation Rights [Theatre, continued]

11-17-2018
01:34 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
Style: Sovereign
11-17-2018, 01:34 PM
Visitation Rights [Theatre, continued] [Post #1]
Visitation Rights

What if Alex never knew that the SFG had implanted a tracker unit in his hip? What if 'Steven Smith' is not as off the radar as he thought he would be?

RULES
* For Paige [Fred] and Alex [Chrissie] initially. Crashing is allowed.
* All GENEsis and Board rules apply.

bury my heart next to yours
11-17-2018
01:50 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-17-2018, 01:50 PM
[In-Character] [Post #2]
It was too early to say he was settling in, Alex knew that. There were things that would keep him busy for months, or years, to come. For once, Paige had lived with his death for so long, of course she would not just get over it and move on like nothing had happened. There sat so much anger inside of her, forcing Alex to face the fact that the both of them would have to deal with that over and over. Something like that did not just go away – just like his own abandonment issues.

Calling it that made him feel weak. A grown man with abandonment issues – and yet, that was what it was. After half a lifetime of feeling like the sore thumb in his family, sticking out every which way, he had found himself completely cut off from everyone. And while knowing that the choice had been his own, and his own alone, it did not change that in the course of four years that had installed a deep need for connection inside of him. He would cling to what and who he had now with everything he had. Alex was quite aware of the fact that eventually this was likely to cause its own set of problems. And yet, he simply accepted it as it was. Where was the point in denying these weaknesses? He had wasted too much time in his life already pretending those weaknesses did not exist.

It did not make his situation easier. He had basically moved in with Paige just like that and yet she was nowhere near ready to make a solid decision about what was to come for the two of them, the three of them. Her first priority was Ben. Alex knew that if he could prove to her that he was around to stay, and shared the need to see him come first, that maybe then his actions could speak louder than words. He would have to show her that time and time again, he would choose the two of them over himself – and that he could make those decisions with her, not on his own, stuck in a warehouse with a Sentinel on the prowl.

Alex sat at the table on his own, his coffee had gone cold in its mug by now. Paige had taken Ben to the bathroom. They were brushing their teeth. Alex just stared at the window, and let his mind run through the past week. He was still catching up. It was a strange mixture of awe, incredulity and gratitude. It was a rollercoaster of emotions – bringing on the occasional nightly panic attacks. Paige had been witness to the one last night. Alex frowned at that. He had not wanted her to ever see those. It didn’t really help that he told himself that she probably ought to know about these things. Yes, maybe down the road. But now when he had no more than the foot in the door with her, running the risk to find the end of the line with her any moment.

Abandonment issues, alright.

He heaved air into his lungs, emptying his cup. Alex stood, his eyes trained on the scene outside. Moving away from the table, he stepped out onto the balcony. The air was crisp. Exactly what he needed right now. Deep gulps of breath, he treasured the way they felt down his throat. The cold helped him focus.

He gripped the bannister, looked down, then up. Everything out here was quiet. He tried to feel himself in all of this. His sense of self had taken a serious dent during the past four years. Having cut half of himself away and calling it ‘the right decision’ turned out had been the cruellest form of self-mutilation. Alex was struggling to feel at home in his own skin. Not because it didn’t feel right, not because he had deeply missed this other half of himself. But habit was a powerful thing to any humanoid being.

One could get used to just about anything. And Alex had gotten used to having his x-gene locked away – through the toxic means of medication no less – and firmly believing what he was doing helped anyone. The mindset of Steven Smith still existed in his mind and at times it would whisper at him. Not repeating the mindless tirades of the mutant-hating public out there – but instead chanting the beliefs that he had grown up with. You’re a failure. Instead of following the mission, you gave it all up … for a woman no less. It was so much the man he had turned himself into during that time. Someone who had shut his eyes tightly before the things he yearned for the most. Twisted reality; nothing but heartless half-truths and thinly veiled lies.

Yes, for a woman.

Alex let his gaze settle on the distance. For the woman.
He tried to remember himself four years back. He had shared her bed, and many other things. Why had he not seen it? Why had he taken her for granted instead of just plucking the offer from the heart that held it out for him? Why had he not seen it? Or had he actually glimpsed it only to close his own eyes from it? Too scared to risk anything – to ask the girl that wanted him if she was not just out of her mind?

And now here he was, struggling to find a way back into Paige’s life after she had spent four years making that life without him. He could and would not blame her for being cautious. Hell, it was a miracle she even allowed him to be here. It went to show the lengths to which her feelings for him ran, didn’t it? A shiver raced through him. It was still alien to him to just accept these things, accept that they came with a risk and that he, too, could get hurt in this. To take that risk and ran with it, because if he just did it right he could find everything in it. A woman to stick with him, and a child to love. Family.

Home.

“Mommy says you should wear socks!” a small voice piped up from beside him, pulling him out of his thoughts. “You’ll catch the flu!”
Alex smiled, looking at his own feet much like Ben did – standing bare on the cold stone of the balcony. He let his toes curl once before setting them back down and looking at his son. “I think your mommy is right.”
“Shall I tell you somethin’?” His tongue hit the back of his front teeth as he asked the question that was more of a whisper to him. So Ben had a secret and he wanted to share with Alex. Alex grinned and picked the little man up, stepping back from the bannister. He held him on his hip.
“Yes, please.” He moved his head closer to Ben, so the boy could speak directly into his ear.
“I like being barefoot much better, too!”
“Oh”, Alex said, his smile growing wider. “It’s great, isn’t it.”
“Yeah, but mommy says I’ll catch the flu!”
“She’s right.”
“I know …”, he threw back, dead-panning and making a resigned face.
Alex laughed.

“Look”, Ben said, his small hand pointing upwards.
Alex turned, and the scene before him seemed to turn into slow-motion.

Two drones. One from the western corner of the highrise building they were in, the other one coming from the eastern one into the corner of his eyes. Alex felt his heartbeat spike to a hammer as for a moment it was almost like the blood in his veins froze.

“Ben”, he said, his own voice distant and distorted.
“Yes”, the boy responded, eyes wide as the kid saw the large metallic figure come from the west.
“Whatever happens, you do not let go. Do you understand?”
His grip tightened around Alex’s shoulders. “Ok.”

Alex turned, both arms wrapped around his son. His eyes met Paige’s as she stood down the hall next to Six. She froze as she read his facial expression.

“RUN!” Alex was shouting, and Paige’s response was equally single-worded. “BEN!”
“SIX, GET HER OUT. GET TO SAFETY. I GOT HIM!”

A fraction of another second passed as blue eyes locked on that mixture of blue and green in hers. It was a silent promise, meant with more vigour and more passion that Alex had ever given a promise in his life. I got him.

“I’m scared”, Ben said, his tiny frame clung to Alex.
“I know, buddy”, Alex said. “I am, too.” He saw the Sentinel round the house behind Ben, but his eyes were on his son only. “But there’s no need”, Alex surprised himself, he sounded focussed and unafraid despite sweat trickling down his neck and back already. “You and I are going to play a little game, okay? They’re tin men … like tin … barrels, and you and I are going to go shooting barrels now.”
“Mommy won’t like that”, Ben said, his voice gaining steadiness as Alex’s sense of reassurance swept on- and into the little man.
“I know. She won’t be mad at you.”
“She’ll be mad at you.”
Alex smiled. “Maybe.”

He heard the tell-tale sounds of the scanning unit of the big ugly mutherfucker closing in on them. The drones were barely more than ten feet away from the now.

Sentinel and hornet units up ahead. Alex knew the cavalry was not far off. He knew the protocols. They had maybe five minutes.

[to be continued]

11-17-2018
02:57 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-17-2018, 02:57 PM
[In-Character] [Post #3]
“Do it like me”, he had his eyes trained on his boys. Blue eyes staring into green ones. Ben nodded, as he could ‘feel’ what Alex was doing. It was the thing Alex had come to call breathing in. Because that was what it felt. While his batteries needed quite some time to fully charge, he could pull in a surge momentarily. Like a tiny supercharge, enough to give him a small advantage whenever he found himself blindsided.

Ben looked at him with an otherworldly sense of focus. He was watching exactly what Alex was doing. And Alex found himself surprised with pride and relief when Ben did exactly the same. He could sense the energy race to this boy’s little form. “Oh”, he said, obviously surprised as well. His tiny hand dug deeper into Alex’s shirt. “It’s … a lot.” He pushed out, lacking the words and experience to explain the feeling of the supercharge.

“I know. You’re doing great”, Alex pushed out with a wide grin. “Now, you know how your mommy can turn her skin into anything she touches?” Ben nodded, his focus returning as his small form began glowing with the excess energy. Alex did what he could to stabilize his son.

“Something tells me, you can do that, too.” He had Ben turned away from the Sentinel, not wanting the boy to see that aweful tin man creature. “I will fly now, and I want you to look at me. Don’t ever look anywhere but at me. Ok?” Ben nodded, hold tightening yet. “And I want you to imagine that you and I are that energy that we both just sucked in.”

Ben looked troubled, which made Alex’s heart sink a little. The Sentinel was charging to attack behind them. The red straight line in its facial unit was beginning to glow. Your uncle’s optic blast. Alex thought with his stomach threatening to flip for a moment. Then, he focussed on Ben, and on the promise he had made to Paige. “Don’t think about it… let’s just BE like that. Like that energy.” Alex slowly lifted them up and Ben suddenly giggled. Leave it to this boy to completely surprise Alex with the fact that he didn’t mind heights, or flight apparently.

“You can fly”, he piped up and his words turned into wild laughter.
“I can, buddy.” He smiled at his boy. “Now you do that thing”, Alex reminded Ben as Alex’s form began simmering with energy.

Ben seemed to just pluck the frequency off of Alex and both of their bodies suddenly glowed with a sheen of bright energy.

Alex laughed. “You did it!”
“I did it!” Ben echoed.
“Now hold on. Do not let go, and do not look away.”

Alex could sense the added amounts of energy he had in Ben. The three-year-old did not hold his amount in, he simply let his merge into Alex’s, turning the both of them into a dangerous, possibly concussive ball of light. Just as the visor of the Sentinel lit up with bright red, cutting through the façade of the house behind them, Alex had them off and in the air. A single flick of the hand at Ben’s back, sent concussive blasts towards the drones.

“Do you like rollercoasters?” Alex kept the both of them well out of range of the Sentinel’s blast radius.
“YEAH!”
“I’m glad”, Alex said as he pushed the both of them upwards. He drew a line – diagonally – in the air using both of their energy signatures. It was like a rod of lightning, hovering there for just a moment. Alex could sense it brightly in his mind, and he knew Ben could too.

“Light go boom”, Ben half asked, half stated.
“Exactly.”

And then the line of energy exploded into a blade that severed half the Sentinels head unit, cutting effectively through the memory bank and any component that could transmit what this unit had seen.

The house that had been Paige’s home for the past years groaned and eventually collapsed behind them.

It took him well over ten minutes to finally find Paige and Six. Behind them he could hear the sirens heading towards Paige’s old house. They would find the carcasses of the Sentinel and drones. Alex hoped that he had shorted the unit out enough to prevent any of the visuals to be of use. He set the both of them down, just a few feet from Paige and Six.

Paige – he was sure – would have beheaded him there and then had it not been for a beaming little Ben jumping out of Alex’s embrace to his mommy.

She swept him up, pushing his smaller form against her chest.
The little fellow shifted in his mother’s embrace to whisper into her ear.
“Mommy, I think he’s my dad … but he doesn’t know.”

Alex just pressed his lips into a thin line and tried to look innocent. He said nothing.

11-18-2018
07:43 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-18-2018, 07:43 PM
[In-Character] [Post #4]
[Two hours later.]

“We have to make sure you’re bug-free“, she had insisted and Alex had relented. Eventually, the idea that somehow the units had detected him had dug its way into his consciousness and it had gnawed away at him. When he had brought it up with Paige, she had looked at him with a cool glance. He quirked an eyebrow and had puffed out air in exasperation. “And I’m late to the party, you already figured that out.”

So she had told him that they would have to have him checked before going anywhere. Alex knew that Paige would very quickly disentangle him from Ben and her if he did not go along. As a potential threat to their security, he could not be anywhere near Ben. That was why she had sent Six off with the boy about an hour ago.

Now he was staring into the face of a guy who’d introduced himself as Jaxon. Paige had described him as an enhanced human, for the lack of a better term. Apparently he was a walking and talking scanner. Alex had pulled up both eyebrows in question, but – much like he expected – did not get a response from Paige. Ever since the Sentinel and two Hornets had attacked and destroyed her home, her demeanour towards him had once more considerably darkened. Alex had chosen to silently endure. There was no chance arguing with her. She was right when saying that he and Ben had been in great danger. Alex was more than aware of it.

“You have a cybernetic arm”, Jaxon pointed out and Alex quirked an eyebrow.
“I do.”
“When did you have the last round of analytics done?”
“Erm …”, Alex pulled up both eyebrows. “I think four years ago?”
“Oh”, Jaxon looked up, somewhat surprised. “You need to get it checked every three months.”
“Kinda didn’t have the proper tech in the area.”
“The unit is working at 82 percent of maximum performance. Down another 2 percent and it would have begun affecting your general quality of life.”
Now it was Alex’s turn to say “Oh.”
“Paige has asked me to check you for bugs.”
“Can you do the analytics, too?” Alex asked, a little sheepishly.
“Not here. But once you’re clean, we can see about checking out the arm.”

Alex nodded and sat back, letting Jaxon do what he did. Eventually, it resulted in a rather peculiar situation for Alex. He sat on a crate in a dirty dead-end of an ally, his jeans open and pulled down to expose his left hip. Jaxon’s reading had brought up a chip implanted just beneath his skin. The cut was shallow but bleeding quite a lot for such a small cut.

Eventually, Jaxon pulled out the chip with a pair of forceps he had brought along. Then the small, bloodied thing lit up and crackled.
“No longer functional” Jaxon declared.
Alex nodded, relieved. “Thanks, man.” He pulled his pants back up just after Jaxon had covered the wound with gauze and adhesive tape. “You sure that’s it? Maybe they replaced an eye? And now I gotta go one-eyed?”
Somehow the small joke didn’t really amuse Jaxon. The other man just shook his head. “Your eye is fine. I did a full body-scan. You’re fine.”
“Good” he said, staring down the small alleyway. “Now I need to explain to that woman that I brought the Sentinel to her home.”
“I certainly don’t want to be in your place.”
“Huh”, Alex said as both men went back to Paige. He remained silent when Jaxon explained to Paige what he had done and that Alex was indeed now bug-free. When that was out of the way, Jaxon let his gaze cross from Paige to Alex and back. The cyborg nodded. “Since you do not have a place to stay, the probability of you needing a place for tonight is at 95 percent. So the three of us ready to go?”
Alex looked at Paige, knowing this part was what she had avoided for the past four years. “We’re two more. So make that five.”

[OOC: Fred, let me know if you'd like anything of this edited ]

11-18-2018
11:49 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Fred (F)
11-18-2018, 11:49 PM
[In-Character] [Post #5]
Everything had happened very quickly. Her mind clung to the image of Ben, in Alex’s arms, being separated from her reach. Even as she had tried to move after him, that blasted suit had hooked its metallic arm around her waist and taken to the skies to remove her from her apartment in time to watch an implosion crumble it inward. That was her damned place of residence! What had she told him!

Alex had tried to apologize, even after Ben had leapt back into her arms and nearly strangled her with his own smaller once cinching about her neck like a constrictor. Her son had been all abuzz with excitement, post-fight adrenaline and she had watched him with both concern and joy to see him so animated. That it had been in conjunction with his father’s influence and presence had not been forgotten, and she had made a promise along the lines of, ‘Ah swear once this boy is asleep, Ah’m gonna wring yer neck.’

When he had made a motion to comment, a brow quirked, she had shut him down quick.

Once Ben had settled and moved on to pestering Six with his wild tale, she had prodded Alex about potentially being bugged, if training and conditioning with the shiny humans had potentially slipped him. The look in his eyes had almost prompted her to retract the accusation; hurt, worry, they flared to life in his gaze as he met hers, and then he had looked away, almost ashamed of the fact that he had put them into danger.

She had smirked at the sight, that’s right Summers, you just soak in that parenthood.

Jaxon had met them without argument in an old abandoned downtown clinic. And Six had led Ben out into the halls to go find grasshoppers.

She was curious about the arm, as she had been since she had realized that he had one when he shouldn’t have. Even at night when she curled up against him, she often forget that it was not part of him and slipped into sleep unperturbed. So Jaxon’s assessment had brought her up into focus enough to stare Alex down over the other man’s shoulder.

He had allowed their son to utilize his powers in the face of a sentinel, been unknowingly carrying a tracking device within himself, and now had an arm that had to the potential to fritz. On top of it, when Ben had made a giggling comment about Alex possibly being his dad, Alex had pressed his lips together and turned away, a hint of amusement in his eyes.

The moment Six had returned with Ben, timing perfect as always, the boy had immediately latched onto Jaxon and assaulted him with a million and one questions.

Her attention immediately focused on the suit. “Don’t think you’re off the hook in any way.”

“I am confused, Miss Guthrie.”

You listened to him” She pointed to Alex, her meaning to reference Alex instructing the suit to take her out of the apartment. “And you go-”

“Sub-routine dictates protective measures to assure survival of Paige Guthrie and child.” It cut her off, regardless of how calm its voice remained. “Child identified as Ben Alexander Summers.” She pressed her teeth together. “Would you like to alter Jonathan Silvercloud’s coding in regard to this routine?”

Forge had never learned Ben’s name or identity.

“Ben Alexander Summers utilized his own mutation to assure his own survival. Abilities register at Sentinel Program’s Alpha level. Potential to advance greatly noted.” Six added.
11-19-2018
08:30 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-19-2018, 08:30 AM
The Abandonded Theatre
Continued. Five days after this thread.

Exactly five days have passed since Beth was freed from the Gamma-Xi compound. Two since Alex managed to sit down and talk to Caitlin. And earlier this morning, the house in which Paige had found her place of residence was destroyed. The SGF is currently on site but it appears, reconstructing why exactly the Sentinel was destroyed proves difficult. Meanwhile, Paige alerted Jaxon Walker to check Alex for any tracking implants. Since the middle Summers is now bug free, the group consistent of five has made their way into Manhattan and into the Abandoned Theatre. Jaxon has informed Caitlin about the “package’s” arrival being imminent.

RULES
* For any character with knowledge of this location.
* All GENEsis and Board rules apply.

11-19-2018
09:55 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-19-2018, 09:55 AM
[In-Character] [Post #7]
Alex was quiet. Very quiet. Daylight was beginning to fade as they wove their way through the abandoned facilities behind the theatre. God, was it really that late again? This track was a detour, if he had ever seen one. Into the front door would have taken them exactly five minutes. And yet here they were, climbing through old restaurants and through unused basements – and had done so for the past one and a half hour.

Paige was carrying Ben and Alex could tell by the increased frequency of the boy asking “How much longer, mom?” that he was growing tired. Eventually, he offered to take the boy from her arms. A gentle smile softened Alex’s features as Ben gladly shifted from his mother’s to his father’s arms. The small body was warm, silently singing to Alex at this proximity. It was like Ben was instinctively latching onto Alex’s energy signature. Alex doubted that Ben knew exactly what he was doing, but somehow the little guy was stabilising his own sometimes volatile pattern. It made Alex feel more secure in his own skin – less impulsive; as if the energy was not just affecting him physically but mentally as well.

He held Ben close, easily carrying the small form as they drew closer. Both Alex and Paige carried backpacks as well – Paige that of Ben’s, Alex had hers. Alex did not possess much in the way of a secret stash of clothes when a quick change of scenery was required. So there was none for him. Jaxon was still ahead of them, leading the way as if he had been here a thousand times. Alex was certain that he probably had been. Eventually, he paused their progress, staring up at something only the man could see.

“Opening the shield”, Jaxon announced and in front of them the air rippled and the view changed. Where there had been an area cluttered with crates and discarded boxes, now a wall appeared, complete with a door. “This way, please”, Jaxon said as he unlocked the door by punching in a six digit code. “There are other ways into the theatre”, Jaxon mentioned as he pulled the heavy door open. Behind it was a flight of stairs leading down. “But they are not suited for a small child.”

Alex pulled up his eyebrows and nodded, wondering if those other ways involved burning blades or rabid dogs. Something along those lines, he figured and sighed. They advanced, Jaxon ahead, Alex and Ben in the middle and Paige with Six behind them. Somehow, it had just happened that Alex had instinctively helped ensure that whoever carried Ben was in the middle.

“I’m tired”, Ben informed Alex.
“Me, too”, Alex agreed. “I’m sure we’ll find you a place to sleep in no time.”

It was the only thing Alex had said ever since leaving the clinic. His side was sore by now, and despite his healing factor working on the wound, Alex was ready to get off his feet. He continued to contemplate the events of the day. Had Paige not told him that she would kill him were he to teach Ben anything of the explosive kind? He had kind of done that, and they had actually ended up destroying the entire building. Well, one could argue that it was the Sentinel to destroy the high rise. Alex doubted that this was more than semantics to Paige. Her implication earlier had somewhat verified that.

‘Ah swear once this boy is asleep, Ah’m gonna wring yer neck.’

Alex had chosen to just not say anything and simply accept his fate. It did not mean that he did not stand by his decision and what he had done. It had gotten Ben and himself safely to the ground and out of the line of fire. It had not left any footage to tell on them. Still, a mother certainly had other things in mind for her three-year-old than ‘Light go boom!’ Alex could not help the smile on his face remembering that. A sense of pride in the little man had been almost overwhelming.

As the day had progressed, Alex had not missed her glare at him when Jaxon had so carelessly announced that his arm was in dire need of maintenance. Well, that one would be coming back at him at some point later today.

But the best part about the entire day had been something else entirely. Just before they had taken off for Manhattan, Alex had overheard Paige’s exchange with the suit just as Jaxon was putting the finishing touches on his wound’s dressing.

“Child identified as Ben Alexander Summers.”

The sound of that one sentence had burned itself into his memory. Alex had been glad that he had not been standing up at the time. In hindsight, he doubted that he knees would have lasted. His name. She had given him his name. He was aware of the stupidly happy grin on his face, and he was sure she would see it, too. Yet, Alex didn’t care. His boy. His boy.

Yet he knew better than to comment on it. Paige was still positively seething from the amalgamation of their day today. Alex had accepted that while she did welcome his addition to their little party, she did require time to adjust. And sometimes that kind of adjustment was easiest to achieve without someone else arguing their point and sticking their nose into business previously handled single-handedly. Alex had never found it easy to accept blame or just accept that he had made a mistake in a situation. He would always argue his point. So his quiet and observant behavior with Paige did surprise him a little.

Maybe he could figure out this parenting thing after all.

“And here we are.” Jaxon finally announced as he stepped into the foyer of the theatre. Above them structure opened up wide, leading up several stories. Everywhere pathways led off into other areas of the building. He could smell something delicious. Was someone making dinner? His stomach growled.

“Smells like chicken!” Ben exclaimed, his fatigue suddenly on the backburner at the prospect of food.
Alex held the little boy tightly. “I’ll get you some.” He said, while seeking Paige’s proximity, Ben on his hip but between them. His heart was suddenly hammering in his chest. So far he had been able to focus on other things. But now, those distractions were gone - and he faced the place where he knew he’d meet his baby brother.

11-19-2018
11:15 AM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
Style: Gotham
11-19-2018, 11:15 AM
[In-Character] [Post #8]
Caitlin was chopping up some onions when Tony came rushing in with a toy airplane, making flying noises. His sister walked in as well, dragging her stuffed bunny behind her and shaking her head. “What’s wrong sweetheart?” Caitlin asked, stopping her chopping and checking on the chickenwings in the oven.

“Uncle Victor was supposed to help me.” She told her mother and Caitlin frowned. “With what, honey?” Caitlin wondered. “It’s a secret.” Alex told her.

“So where is Victor?” She had an idea but hoped that the big brute managed to shut his door for once. “He’s busy with that lady that almost died.” She told her mother. “I see. Well I’m sure he’ll be around soon. Dinner is almost ready.” Megan and Chris were at the other station, stirring up two big pots of soup. Bread was in the other oven, a large batch of chickenwings in the other and there were another two pots of mashed potatoes on the stove.

All they had to do was get some veggies stir fried, which she was currently in the process of doing. “Perhaps you can get your daddy to help set up for dinner?” They usually left plates, bowls and cutlery out so everybody could take whatever they needed. The rule was that whatever you dirtied, you cleaned yourself. It worked for such a large group of people.

Alex stopped and stared at her for a moment. “I think daddy wants to see uncle Alex as well.”

“Excuse me?” Caitlin stammered, looking at her daughter. The young girl kept on surprising her. She really needed to talk to Gabriel, confirming her suspicions that Alex was more telepathic than empathic.

“Uncle Alex is here with Aunty Paige.” And with that the little girl walked out of the kitchen in search of her father.

Caitlin was dumbfounded but when she unlocked her senses, there he was. A familiar beacon and he wasn’t that far away either. No, she guessed he was about to step into the kitchen. She had almost forgotten about her son running around the kitchen when he knocked over some pots. “Anthony Scott Summers, what did I tell you about running in the kitchen?”
02:00 AM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
11-20-2018, 02:00 AM
[In-Character] [Post #9]
It was useless to argue when Alex held his arms out to relieve her of Ben’s weight and whining, so she relinquished her son when he was plucked form her grasp. It was a relief, something she mentally reminded herself she needed to adjust to if she was going to allow Alex to make the effort to be a part of their lives. He was there, a second set of hands, a second set of arms. A second set of eyes.

She took note of the fact that once Alex had Ben, he moved to position himself between herself and Jaxon, Six at her side. It kept Ben out of direct contact from ahead or behind him and she appreciated the steps taken to secure him, even if the boy was unaware, he simply babbled on endlessly to Alex about anything and everything that they passed. And Alex offered him every bit of his attention and focus. It was…nice, to say the least. She was glad he was making such an effort to establish himself, she simply hoped that it stuck. As right as it seemed to have him, to have let him start to inch his way back into her life, and Ben’s life, a small part of her was still afraid that something was going to happen. Alex would leave, or he would truly be taken.

Rather than dwelling on the unforeseen, she focused on Jaxon and his exceedingly bland description of where they were and how to get in. A shield rippled back enough, exposing the theatre, and they were allotted enough time and space to cross the invisible line.

Once inside, Ben perked up and his sleepy eyes widened, a second wind hitting him square in the wake of the scent of food. It was more important by sleep, and she would empathize with her son on that front.

“I’mma go play with Tony.” Ben declared.

“Excuse me?” Paige nearly tripped over an uneven level of flooring.

“I’mma see his plane.”

She stared at him while he wriggled himself loose from Alex’s hold. When Alex looked to her for direction, she gave a hesitant nod of her head to let him go. Ben had never met Tony, she had never brought him there, he had no idea who Tony was. So when the three year old took off into the theatre towards the direction she knew one of the kitchens was, her curiosity compelled her to follow. Closely.

The scent of something cooking was delightful. Then the sound of Ben’s voice greeting someone. And she followed him in, finding Caitlin at a counter with a knife in hand and her fingers about the round edge of an onion.
11-20-2018
02:35 AM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
11-20-2018, 02:35 AM
[In-Character] [Post #10]
He sat for a long time at the edge of the bed, his fingers braided loosely, his elbows resting on his knees. Scott was unresponsive once more. His presence had ignited a war deep within himself. One side insisted his brother’s presence amongst them was dangerous and oddly convenient. One side insisted he was being foolish, not latching on immediately and doing everything within his knowledge and power to bring Scott to the surface. One side was still angry, hurt that his wife had acted without consulting him first or given him even an inkling of what she was up to.

What he had snapped at her that day was true beyond measure. He loved her. And he loved Scott. He loved his children. He had loved Alex. That seemed to be his hitch, though, loving people just a little too much. He had thought that his anger centered solely around Caitlin’s deception, but it went beyond that, deeper, and it circled around the brother lying quiet in a dark room.

Scott was the eldest, it was his job to be there and he hadn’t been. He’d been taken by humans, leaving himself and Alex together without him. And then Alex…he pressed his hands to his face. He had lost him. He hadn’t been able to deflect that blast, and it had been too much for his brother to bear. It should have been him. He would have been able to take it. He could have absorbed every molecule or that much, every atom of it into himself.

Alex should have still been there.

The fervor with which that had experienced the SFG’s focus then, though, had noticeably waned with Alex’s death. No point harvesting abilities when one piece was no more. The chain was broken.

“Hi, daddy.” Alex’s voice drew him back to himself and he lifted his head, offering her a smile. He extended his hand out to her and she stepped through the doorframe. “I think mommy is nervous.”

“Oh?” He lifted his brows as she moved to stand beside him, setting her small hands onto his right knee. “What is she doing?”

“She’s cutting onions.”

He smiled again. “I would be nervous too.”

“Uncle Victor is being weird.” She switched topics like any child her age would.

He inhaled, still not sure how and why his children had latched onto calling Victor Creed ‘uncle’. There were worse role models, he supposed. And if Alex was focused on Victor, she wasn’t asking questions about ‘daddy’s brother’. “Victor is weird.” He pushed himself from his bed and his daughter slid her hand in against his, tugging him out of the room and towards the kitchen.

She led him through one of the back halls and into the kitchen. He immediately noted Cait, because he always noticed her first, it didn’t matter who else was ever in a room. He mentally accounted for Chris and Megan as he looked towards his on who was holding his plane out towards another child he did not recognize. “Who’s the kid?” He looked to his wife. The he looked up at Paige as she stepped into his view. “Not surprised to see you here when there’s food involved.” The right side of his face lifted. Then he gestured to the kid. “Did you find a stray?”

“I not a stray.” Ben shot back.