Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
Style: Gotham
11-16-2018, 05:50 PM
Brotherly Love [Post #1]
Brotherly Love

Caitlin did a thing. She managed to find the oldest Summers brother but didn't tell Gabriel about it. For weeks she has been sneaking out, sometimes under the guise of a mission and sometimes she just told him she went out to do 'grocery shopping'. It was all a lie. She received intel and acted upon it, not eve sure if it was reliable considering the source. But it panned out. She found him and now here they are.

RULES
* For Caitlin [Ellen] and Gabriel [Fred] initially. Crashing is allowed.
* All GENEsis and Board rules apply.
06:37 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Fred (F)
11-16-2018, 06:37 PM
[In-Character] [Post #2]
He left the kitchen briefly to find Lief a towel, a hoodie, and a pair of sweatpants that he lifted the boy’s right arm to accept when he returned. “Get yourself a shower.” He instructed with a smile. “Put these neurotic women and all their rambling out of your head for like, five minutes.” He patted him on the shoulder and then left the room behind, offering Victor a quick in his brow, and then held Elise’s eyes for a moment as she turned her attention to the returned Kitty.

This was all a lot to take in.

Beth had been brought to their doorstep around noon by the techy little blonde girl that he had no idea possessed one of Tony’s original suits. How many times had they crossed paths, albeit at times distantly, and he hadn’t the slightest clue that she possessed something like that. That she held something of a past that could be shared. She had known Tony.

Then Kitty barreled back into their lives. Though Cait had informed him that she met with her frequently, he had not seen her in…ugh he didn’t even know how long. And the kid, the kid was huge. It was as though someone had taken Thor and someone miniaturized him, giving him Kitty’s nose and ears.

And Madelyne?! He had thought she had been taken by SFG. Now she had apparently been working for them in some capacity.

“Daddy’s coming.” He heard Alex’s voice sift through the slightly opened door. And then Cait bid their daughter to sleep and she slipped out, drawing the door shut quietly behind herself.

“Any world shattering secrets on your part?” He threw his hands up. “I mean, if you’ve got them, it seems today is the day. Beth, Kitty, Maddy, Elise alludes to Laura and possibly there being more where they had kept Beth.” He dropped his arms beside himself. “Fuck I don’t know what to do with all of this.” He admitted. He had never anticipated this position in life, being one of those in charge, making decisions for other people. “I kind of want to scoop you and the kids up, and just,” he sighed, “just fly away for a minute. Just a minute.”
11-16-2018
07:37 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
11-16-2018, 07:37 PM
[In-Character] [Post #3]
Caitlin looked up, turning her head to watch her husband approaching her. His question, tightened her heart and for a moment she didn’t know what to say. Yeah she did have an earth shattering secret that she needed to tell him but with him reacting like this… he wasn’t really making it easy.

“We figure it all out. We always do.” She took his hand in hers and tugged him closer. God, she wouldn’t even know what to do without him. He was her rock, the constant source of her staying sane these years.

“But, I do have something to tell you. Actually show you.” She looked up at him, trying to assess what his reaction would be. Knowing Gabe he probably thought she was talking about doing something interesting in the bedroom. If only. Cait would love nothing more than to just hide out there and not come out for the next couple of weeks and tell the world to go fuck itself.

Sadly they didn’t have that option.

“You know how I went on these ‘errands’ the past couple of weeks?” She air quoted errands as she spoke. “I was kinda running a secret op due to some intel I received.” Caitlin carried on. “I wasn’t sure I could trust the source but, hey, why not. If it panned out things could turn around for us in a good way… but…” She didn’t know how to finish that sentence.

“Come, I have to show you something.” She took his hand again and tugged him along towards the room she had stashed Scott Summers. It was better to show than to tell.

“But, please, don’t freak out, okay?” Caitlin stopped in front of the door to the room with Scott in it. “Open it.”
11:30 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
11-16-2018, 11:30 PM
[In-Character] [Post #4]
He was aware of the fact that his wife could fly well enough with her own abilities, but he was sure he could pick her and the twins up with ease. And as much as Cait would love to argue, he was faster than she was. She could lord over him the occasions she beat him anywhere all she wanted. He wasn’t stupid enough to even vaguely allude to the fact that he let her win.

She moved towards him and he watched her, the motion of her steps, the sway of her hips, and then she reached out and braided her fingers with his. The did usually figure everything out. They had so far. They had settled in the theater first, and then gradually drew in the random straggler here and there, and then actively sought others. Every nearby attack, they took in stride. Ever sliver of information, they investigated. Every lead.

When she pointed out that she did have something to tell him, he paused in the progression she had toted him into following her down one of the darker hallways. The last time she had brought him up short with a similar declaration, she had told him that she was pregnant. And then she had continued by informing him that they were his. Oddly, in the storm his thoughts had become in the half second after that confession, he had latched onto the single word ‘they’.

“Am I going to be a dad again?” He breathed. As amazing as that sounded, it carried with it the fear that living in their world did.

Then she moved in a different direction, alluding to her recent ‘trips’ and ‘errands’, bunny ears included, and he felt apprehension wiggle its way into his thoughts, felt his brows pinch together in response. And his level of concern continued to climb as she continued to explain her reasoning to him. When she beckoned him to follow after her, he glanced at their linked hands and wondered if she thought he could escape if he tried.

They stopped outside one of the old theater dressing rooms and she gestured to the door, insisting that he open it. “This would have been really sexy if you hadn’t framed it the way that you have.” Because stumbling blind into the room when she had a yoga swing set up, or something equally entertaining would have been amazing. He assumed, though, that today was just ‘head long into hell on a bus’ day so, what the hell.

He let go of her hand and reached for the knob, turning quickly before he lost his nerve, or his sense of humor raced to the forefront.

The overhead light flickered as he stepped inside. He didn’t have to guess what she wanted him to see, his eyes zeroed directly in on the form she intended and he swallowed. His hand slipped out of hers as he stepped into the room. He couldn’t name the emotion that simmered to life, even as he stood stalk still just inside the doorway.

Without a look at his wife, he set his jaw and stepped further into the room and made a direct beeline for the form that resembled his…brother. “Where-?” He pressed his teeth together as he squatted down beside the cot. He lifted his hands and hesitated, unsure what exactly to do with them, before he drew them back to himself. What the actual fuck had she gone out and done? On her damned own. Or whoever the hell had assisted her, was going to get their neck wrung.

Two fingers gently lifted his eyelids and red slightly glowing irises waited for him. There was no consciousness waiting even as the body breathed in and out. Lifting his free hand, he drew on the solar energy sitting on the cornea and let it settle through the skin of his palm, sliding in to join the rest of what hummed inside of him. Then he let the lids slide back shut once more. He shifted back off his feet and onto his butt, then pressed his hands against his face.

Any world shattering secrets on your part?

“What the fuck, Cait?” He breathed.

He had been alone. Scott had been gone. Alex was dead. He had been a dead-end to the idiots pursuing them for their seemingly ‘shareable’ mutation. He had gone through exceedingly great lengths to keep their twins hidden.

“Oh my god.” He groaned into his hands.
11-17-2018
09:30 AM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
11-17-2018, 09:30 AM
[In-Character] [Post #5]
She swallowed at his question if he would be a dad again. That made her pause in her head for a moment as well. What if they were to have another kid? No. Just no. Not now. They were doing things safe, or at least most of the time. God damn it, when was the last time she had her period?

Stop it, Cait! This is not the time to freak out. Not when they were about to enter the room with Scott in it. Well she knew that Scott was in there but her husband did not.

Automatically she started to nibble on her bottom lip as she watched Gabriel walk inside and focus on the man on the cot. He started to ask something and he stopped but she could easily finish that sentence. “Where I found him? On the streets, living like a homeless in one of those back alleys.” She told him.

Caitlin frowned, sensing that her husband was very upset with her because of what she had been doing on her own. She couldn’t blame him. She would be upset as well. It was dangerous for them to be out there without people knowing that you were out there.

She watched her husband lifting Scott’s eyelids and she waited for the inevitable but nothing happened. His irises were just red, glowing even slightly but no energy beam. Which was interesting because when she met him, he hadn’t shown any signs of having powers. Caitlin had noticed that he hadn’t been wearing his special lenses and yet no beams were shooting from his eyes but with him being unconscious he didn’t seem to have that issue. At least it eliminated the doubt if he was really Scott.

Moving forward, she crouched down in front of her husband, pulling his hands away from his face.

“An old acquaintance of ours got word back to me that Scott was alive but that his whereabouts were unknown.” She started her story. “This person told me to wait until she had more reliable information and only a week after that I got told that he was out on the streets of New York.” Caitlin shifted her gaze towards Scott.

“It took me weeks to find him, Gabe. I only had your energy signature to go on but I finally found him. The beard was a bit of a shock, but…” She looked back at her husband. “… he didn’t know who I was. Didn’t know who he was. No sign of the old Scott. He was talking gibberish, nonsense and when I tried to settle him down, pull forth some familiar emotions he went berserk.” Caitlin swallowed and closed her eyes. “He attacked me and I didn’t know what to do so I put a psychic whammy on him to put him to sleep.” And it had been draining her energy ever since because he was strong. Fighting to wake up.

“He’s alive, Gabe but he’s not the brother you remember.” And that saddened her to the core.

“Do you want me to wake him up?” So he could see for himself what she meant with Scott being a totally different person.
05:23 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
11-18-2018, 05:23 PM
[In-Character] [Post #6]
Caitlin confessing being pregnant would have possibly hit him with less force. Instead, she had dumped his missing brother in his lap. A sibling that had been target along with himself as once seeming of some importance. And now here was there, where they lived, where they took in others like themselves. And the occasional stray human that thought she should stick her nose in to play nice.

An acquaintance. Of course it was ‘an old acquaintance’. He even made air quotes with his fingers for emphasis before she wrapped her fingers around his. “She. Who, Cait?” But she bypassed his question as though he hadn’t posed it. Possibly to take control of the conversation, possibly an attempt to curb a detouring argument, because it was waiting on his tongue.

Streets of New York, how very informative. No matter the cut in population, the abandoned areas, New York was still populated. Then she confessed to using a part of him, part of what they had, what he felt for her to find the unconscious idiot that she had somehow managed to get into the theater undetected. She had lied to him, even with the good intentions that he wanted to see in her actions. She had lied and indirectly used him to fuel it. He carefully pulled his hands out of her grip, shaking them, afraid the emotional swing he was experiencing would jump start some part of his abilities like it used to when he was young.

“I love you.” He told her, swallowing back the anger that was festering to the surface. “And I love my brother.” Because he did. Nothing could ever unmake what he felt for him and for her. “But we’re supposed to be a team.” He gestured between himself and her. “And you went rogue.”

He shook his head, trying to process the last few minutes. How many times had he tried to chase leads, tried to barter for information, threatened for it, just to have Scott back. Just to have one brother to fill the gaping hole the absence of them both had left inside of him.

“And now he’s here and there’s something wrong with him?” He pressed the heels of his hands against his eyes. She had brought him there, trying to save him, trying to unite them, yet he was a potential threat because he did not know her or himself. Did she expect him to keep Scott subdued? Or was that something she was taking on herself?

“Not the brother I remember.” He repeated her words. “And you brought him here.” Near their children who potentially possessed a similar sharing of power as he did with his own siblings. “How do you know he wasn’t intentionally released as bait?”
11-18-2018
06:04 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
11-18-2018, 06:04 PM
[In-Character] [Post #7]
At some point she had to tell him that Rogue had contacted her and that she had been the one to tell Cait about Scott and when they had released him out on the streets. But not now, she could feel that he was angry with her. And rightly so but it didn’t stop her from feeling a sharp pang when he pulled his hands free from hers.

“I’m sorry. So sorry. At first I didn’t know what to do with the information, I didn’t want to get your hopes up and after searching for so long I thought it was another dead end.” She looked at him and then shook her head. “You’re right. We’re a team and I fucked up. I’m really sorry.” Caitlin sat back feeling miserable. The last thing she wanted was to fight with Gabriel.

He went on, asking valid questions and then she frowned. “Do you think I would intentionally bring harm to our children if I hadn’t made sure he was bugged or bait?” Now she looked angry. Gabriel might be mad with her but he should know that she would never bring danger here. That she was smarter than that.

“I love you and I know you’re angry with me right now, so I’m going to let that slide.” She crossed her arms in front of her chest as she looked at him. “There is something wrong with him. I don’t know what and perhaps we should ask Wanda to come check him out.”

“Now, do you want me to wake him up or not? You can see for yourself what I mean.”

She looked at Scott, and ever so slowly she lifted the empathic onslaught she had put on him to take him out.
08:24 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
11-18-2018, 08:24 PM
[In-Character] [Post #8]
It was strange, being trapped in his own mind space. Darkness everywhere he looked and no end in sight. It was frightening but free at the same time. Strange combination but it was there and he owned it. Now all he needed to do was remember who he was. The lady who had put him in this sleep seemed to know him. She had kept on calling him Scott. The name tasted familiar but he didn’t care for it.

Somehow he knew that that was his name, that people called him that but it did nothing for him. He wasn’t that man. He couldn’t be that man.

Slowly colour started to seep back into his world. But he didn’t want to leave this black space. The space that gave him peace, that didn’t ask him to remember something he didn’t want to remember. He didn’t even care that he couldn’t remember why he didn’t want to remember. All was good in the dark space of his mind.

But he didn’t have much of a say, the colours became brighter and brighter. So did his dread. He knew waking up wasn’t good. Something told him that if he woke up, bad things would happen.

He sat up with a start, on a cot. Why was he on a cot? How had he gotten here? There, the red haired woman was looking at him with sad eyes and the man next to her… Looked so damn familiar but… nothing. He couldn’t remember.

“No. No. No.” He kept on saying. He shouldn’t be here. “This is wrong.” Shaking his head, he fell of the cot. Scrambling towards the nearest wall as far away as possible from the two people in the room with him.

“Dark. Dark. Dark.” He repeated, pounding the palm of his hand into the side of his head. Wishing for the darkness to return.
08:40 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
Style: Sovereign
11-18-2018, 08:40 PM
[In-Character] [Post #9]
Her form was a sliver of light, following him wherever his mind went. Her hair down, blonde strands to her shoulders. Just like they had been when they had last seen one another in freedom. That day sometime after Sean’s death when Emma had been done with all the back and forth they had been doing for so long. Burying one man who had been offering her his company and possibly his heart, Emma had decided that she would not allow the day to come when she would bury Scott, too.

She had cooked him dinner that night – filet steaks, green beans. She had had wine, he had opted for beer. And they had played Truth & Dare, just without the dare part. She had told him that she did not want to continue to share his bed without sharing his heart. And when Scott had kissed her, she had not acted in rage that night. Instead, she had become soft and gentle, fragile even. She had become the woman that needed Scott Summers; the woman that Scott Summers needed.

She wore that same knee-length dress. It was the last dress she had ever worn before the SFG had put her into captivity. Three nights after she had slept with Scott, speaking of love and need for him, they had finally managed to sweep her off the street. Emma materialised, from within Scott’s mind, hidden away from anyone else’s eyes. She was here only for him, because she was in him. Caitlin could not see her, and neither could Scott’s youngest brother.

So she paid no attention to them, as Scott was trying to draw back into the darkness, shaking his head and scrambling off his bed and toward the wall that put the most distance between him and the other two. Emma was on her knees, next to Scott, her mouth half an inch from his ear. “Ssshhh”, she murmured, a hand coming to rest on his shoulder turned toward her while the other one came to rest on his stomach.

“You’re ok”, she murmured. “We will be back in the darkness soon”, she whispered, leaning her forehead against his temple. “Don’t pay them no mind”, she continued, the hand from his stomach drawing up to find his chin and the other side of his face. She drew him against her. “I will take you back to our quiet place, I promise.” Her tone was low and soft, warm as honey. Words whispered only to him and meant only for him. Not even the empath could feel her because she did not exist on her scope. She was part of Scott’s crazed emotion, part of the mechanism that kept him subdued, would keep him out of reach of empaths and psychics even if Caitlin did not force him into unconsciousness.

“Soon. Shhhhh…” she continued her chant, as she tried to calm his frantic mind so violently cast into the brightness of this place.

bury my heart next to yours
11-19-2018
06:32 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
11-19-2018, 06:32 PM
[In-Character] [Post #10]
She offered him an honest apology, but it didn’t chase the feeling of…betrayal. She had acted behind his back and risked not only her life, but potentially everyone house in that building by dragging someone like Scott within. Especially when she was aware that there was something wrong with him. He had no idea who he was. How was that safe? Scott wasn’t just a mutant that could change a tv channel with his mind, he could create damage. A freakin’ lot of it. He could harm people.

And he sat unconscious in a back room they used primarily for storage.

Gabe was supposed to do everything in his power to keep Cait and the twins safe, and that extended to every individual they invited to join their number. Bringing Scott here, out of touch with who and what he was, stoked a measure of anxiety in him that he had not even been aware that he could reach.

He exhaled through his nose when she asked if he wanted her to wake his brother and he wanted to tell her no, that that was a very stupid idea. But he liked his face just fine and his hair just as it was. One did not make use of the word ‘stupid’ when addressing their wife or her actions unless one wanted their features rearranged. Likely, if he pissed her off enough, it would only add to his own ire. He would lose her temper and her hold on her emotions and he would absorb the energy she let off, in turn pissing her off all the more.

So rather than fighting further, he threw his hands up in the air before forcibly crossing them, and then offered her a look to proceed. He was not happy.

Yet a part of him wanted to break down and fall onto his knees.

Scott was alive and he was within their walls, he was within reach, and he had already made physical contact with him enough to prove he was real rather than a ghost to haunt him.

When Scott bolted upright, Gabe dropped his hands back at his sides, warmth tingling across his palms, waiting to be unleashed. He watched Scoot assess his surroundings, looking to himself, then the cot he had been deposited on. He set first on Caitlin, hesitating momentarily before his eyes swept to meet his own and Gabe held his breath. Then he watched his brother shake his head, babbling out a seeming endless string of ‘no’ broken only by the occasional, ‘this is wrong’ or ‘this is bright’ and other such odd nonsense.

He glanced at Cait, but her sights were trained instead on Scott as he scooted himself off the thin mattress and then down onto the floor. Scott fumbled around on the floor, pushing himself as far from them as he could get until his back pressed up against the far wall. “He looks great.” He sighed and shook his head.

Scott looked like a cornered rabbit.

“Scott.” He tried the weight of his name on his tongue, struggling with attaching it to the man it belonged, rather than lined up between his son’s first and last name. “Hey.” He tried as he moved closer and then went down on one knee, his hands help up and palms forward. “Do you know what day it is?” Cait had found him wandering. How long had he been doing so? “Do you know who I am?”