Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [NYC] Lost & Found [Alex & Caitlin]

11-16-2018
03:18 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
Style: Sovereign
11-16-2018, 03:18 PM
Lost & Found [Alex & Caitlin] [Post #1]
Riverside Park

Riverside Park is a scenic waterfront public park on the Upper West Side of the borough of Manhattan in New York City, operated and maintained by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. The park consists of a narrow 4-mile (6.4 km) strip of land between the Hudson River and the gently curving rise-and-fall of Riverside Drive. When the park was first laid out, access to the river was blocked by the right-of-way of the New York Central Railroad West Side Line; later the railroad track was covered over with an esplanade lined with honey-locusts. Riverside Park also contains part of the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway, which encircles Manhattan's waterfronts with car-free bike routes.

RULES
* For Caitlin [Ellen] and Alex [Chrissie] initially. Crashing is allowed.
* All GENEsis and Board rules apply.

bury my heart next to yours
11-16-2018
03:39 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
Style: Gotham
11-16-2018, 03:39 PM
[In-Character] [Post #2]
Caitlin stuck her hands in the pockets of her jacket, her hair stuck under a black cap to not attract unwanted attention. It was risky going out in the open like this but the sun was setting so it would be dark enough to not get noticed.

She had to convince Gabe that she was just going out to meet with Paige. The girl wouldn’t set up a meeting if it wasn’t this important. And he could use some alone time, trying to figure out what the hell was going on in Scott’s mind. Not that they’ve had any luck with that. The man kept on snarling at them if they got to close. Cait had to put him out everytime they needed to check him out.

That couldn’t go on much longer. Her daughter kept telling her that uncle Scott would die if they didn’t help him. But uncle Scott didn’t want any of their help. He didn’t even recognise them.

Walking through the park, she had the feeling that she was being followed. Her empathy sensed unease and deception but something else as well. Something that had allowed her to find Scott on the streets… familiarity. A connection that ran deep within. One she knew all too well.

Paige had set her up.

Cait slowed her pace and figured she would get a jump on the person following her. After all, she still had some unresolved issues with him. But why now? As if they didn’t have enough issues already. Not to mention that this would be the second brother not being dead, when sources had told otherwise.
08:28 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-16-2018, 08:28 PM
[In-Character] [Post #3]
To say that he was nervous was a bit of an understatement. Not just because being out here was dangerous for him again now, but because he did not know how she would react. Caitlin – once his girlfriend, now his sister-in-law. Strange how these things went. She was family now. That meant something; it actually meant a lot. He had lived without that for the past four years. He had let them all down – Paige had shown him exactly just how much. And Alex was certain he might just spend the rest of his life trying to make it up to her.

Alex focussed. He had spotted her the moment she had entered Riverside. Paige had been so kind to set up the meet. Just that Caitlin thought that she would be meeting Paige – not him. He exhaled as he followed her path, first from a distance, then closing in slowly as they went deeper into the park.

So far, no one but Paige and Ben knew about him. Now he needed Caitlin to know. And then he would go and see Gabriel. That was if they would let him into the theatre. He hoped that his meeting with Caitlin would pave the way for it. Too much time wasted, Alex just could not wait any longer even if it was obvious that Paige was anything but pleased about the idea to get them closer to the theatre so to speak. Alex could understand her – and yet, it did not change the fact that he needed to see his brother.

He wore a dark blue jacket over a grey sweater and washed out jeans. His blonde hair was hidden beneath a light blue beanie. He had pulled the collar up as far as it could go, obscuring half of his face. And his eyes were behind light brown sunglasses. It was kind of a Clark Kent – Superman disguise but it would have to do. It did not give him away on first glance. That was all Alex needed.

As he continued to follow her, Alex could tell that she was picking up the pace. Damnit, of course, the empath had probably sensed him. Stupid, he chided himself. And yet, at the same time, he was impressed with her. The girl she had once been had become a real fighter. Her movements were with purpose and Alex was sure that she was probably coming up with some kind of move to either get him off her tail or do something really really painful to him. Possibly involving fire.

He sincerely hoped it would not be the option involving fire.

Alex fastened his step as well. It was now or never. If she slipped away from him that this whole thing had been for nothing. They rounded a corner, and Alex was relieved to see the both of them out of sight. Alex pushed forward, five bounds of his long legs and he had covered the distance between them. He took her by the arm and slid around, to come to a halt in front of her.

“Cait …” was the sole thing he said as the both of them came to a stop.

11-16-2018
09:05 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
11-16-2018, 09:05 PM
[In-Character] [Post #4]
Cait gritted her teeth, her hands firmly formed in fists as she tried to get away. This wasn’t the plan, she wasn’t even sure she wanted to face Alex. Not like this. Not now. Why now anyway? They hadn’t spoken a civil word ever since he had broken things off with her years ago. When she had been bedridden in a hospital and Emma had swooped in to save her.

Not him. He had abandoned her. Just like he had abandoned his brother. Letting them believe that he had died. That Gabriel was the last Summers brother standing.

All lies.

Bastard.

Great, now she was angry and that didn’t help matters much. Especially not when he suddenly stops her by taking her arm and getting in front of her, calling out her name like he used to do. The sound of his voice bringing all sorts of stuff back to the forefront. Things she thought she had buried deep down and moved on from. How dare he do that to her? Caitlin’s eyes were blazing as she looked at him in anger and before she even realizes what she’s doing, she’s pulling her other arm back, and she has punched him in the face.

Hard.

And then she’s cursing like a drunken sailor and shaking her hand because his face is harder than it looked and that actually hurt like a bitch.

“You asshole.” She snarled at him. “Don’t Cait me.” She unclenched and clenched her fist to make sure she didn’t break anything. “Four years. You made us think you were dead for four years. You made him believe he was alone, that nobody of his family was alive anymore.” She took a step back, needing the distance. “I should punch you in the face again for just that.”
09:18 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-16-2018, 09:18 PM
[In-Character] [Post #5]
If there was one thing Alex was learning here, it was that every reaction to his return was different – but all of them involved anger. So next time, he figured he would duck. But since he had not this time, he was seeing stars. A lot of stars. Bringing up a hand to cup the side of his face she had hit, he tried to stop the world from spinning.

Of course, in that split second he had seen the anger explode in her eyes. He could have known what was coming then. After all, a three-year-old child had kept Paige from beating him black and blue. There was no such fail-safe here. Bad thinking on his part. But maybe … he wondered whether Paige may have had something like this in mind when suggesting this meeting place.

Maybe none of this had been a good idea. Well, Alex had assumed as much beforehand. And yet, she had been the only person he could think of. He needed to get to his brother – and the quickest way was through his wife. Possibly also the hardest way. Alex breathed in and bent over, trying to breathe his way through the pain. He pulled the crooked glasses from his eyes and opened the zipper of the jacket just enough that it no longer obscured his mouth.

Trying to speak, he didn’t get very far when she had a few choice words for him. Instead of defending himself, or arguing with her, Alex just nodded. She was right after all. “Then how about you get it out of your system …”, he offered much like he had willed Paige to just get it all out. The anger had to go first – before that, there was no point in leading a conversation.

He spit out as he tasted copper in his mouth. Well, maybe they could talk about another punch to the jaw again. Maybe elsewhere? Alex pushed air out of his lungs and straightened out a little. His gaze found her eyes.

“I’m here to apologise …”, he started, wondering if she would really believe that that was the case. All she had ever known about him was the man who had hung her out to dry when she had needed him. Oh leave it to one Alexander Summers to know exactly how to do that. “I want to see Gabriel”, he continued. “Let me make things right.”

This making amends things was a lot harder than he had initially believed.

11-16-2018
09:54 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
11-16-2018, 09:54 PM
[In-Character] [Post #6]
She certainly would get it out of her system but punching him again wouldn’t help. Well maybe it would but she didn’t want to hurt her hand more than was necessary. She was still angry but it was slowly dissipating. A slow simmer if you like. After all she still had those unresolved issues with him. Things they never settled between them.

Caitlin watched him spit out blood and she felt a slight pang of guilt. Not that she would act on that, no she wanted to hear what he had to say and then just leave. Let him fend for himself. Yet when he told her he was there to apologise, she frowned. He wanted to apologise? And see Gabriel to make things right?

“So, go see him then, oh wait… you can’t, because Gabriel won’t stop with just the one punch.” She sighed, shaking her head. This wasn’t the solution. She couldn’t stay mad at him, there was enough anger in the world already. And they really did need to talk.

Caitlin spotted a bench not far from where they were standing and started walking. “Come. Let’s talk then. Convince me why I should let you near our home.”

“Mostly so the two of you won’t destroy it.” And then there was the matter of one Scott Summers she had to talk to him about. She wouldn’t be an asshole and keep that from him.

“Do your story and then I have a story for you as well.”
11:48 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-17-2018, 11:48 AM
[In-Character] [Post #7]
Oh, hi.
Hi. POW! Now, talk.

Sheesh, Caitlin was making his head spin a little – literally, and figuratively. When she once more spoke as he tried to figure out whether it was more than a split lip that caused the bleeding in his mouth her words carried a good portion of sarcasm with them. And yet, once more, the truth. He had sworn to himself that he was done arguing the truth just to come out looking better than the other party. Somehow that behaviour had brought him to that split moment’s decision of staging his death four years ago. “Yes, you’re right”, he laid out for her. “But I also owe you an apology”, he added, knowing that one had nothing to do with what had happened four years ago.

Then, she extended the olive branch – recomposing herself rather quickly. She kept surprising him. This was a long shot from the woman he remembered. Then again, how much time had passed since then? Ten years? Half a lifetime. He sucked air in, momentarily wondering whether what they had then could have been anything really good. Maybe if he had stood up to Emma at the time … maybe what she had with Gabriel now could be with him instead. A smile tugged the corners of his mouth up, another lifetime indeed. There wasn’t a thing in the world for which he would exchange Paige and Ben.

He dropped the glasses he had been wearing into his jacket pocket, before letting his hands follow. Pulling his shoulders up he walked alongside her towards the bench she had pointed out. Hardly anyone was in the area. Good. Blue eyes still scanned the periphery constantly. Just like the SFG foot soldiers were always on alert, mutants had to match that game every step of the way. Oh it felt good being amongst his own again.

Eventually they sat. “Caitlin”, he said, not shortening her name in the old familiar way. He really did not much care for a second round of ‘Let’s see how long it takes Alex Summers to go down’. His jaw was still sore and by the time he got back home, he had to certainly have one of the bags of frozen peas double as treatment for that jaw. “I know I made a lot of mistakes in my life. Feeling entitled, arguing like the spoilt brat out of the lot.” His gaze was dark as he gazed ahead, flipping through images in his mind.

“I get that now.” Leaning forward, Alex rested his elbows on his knees. His head hung. “Four years ago, I was running on intel I’d gotten. New components for Sentinels being shipped from a centralised station no less. One hit, and we’d throw them back years.” She probably remembered. They had sent in several teams then. Just that Alex had deserted his post rather early on as suddenly unmarked black cars had shown up at the site. “I went rogue. There were black suits, agents, high clearance showing up. And I wondered, what do they need an omega level clearance on this site if it’s just spare parts they’re shipping?” To him it still was a solid choice he had made. “Perhaps I should have radio’d it in … but,….” He shrugged. “You know…” It was exactly Alex’s style back then.

“So I followed them.” He exhaled, staring ahead, his eyes following the non-existent pattern of the pebbles making up the walkway along the bench they had taken up their seats on. “Apparently, there was new graft software. I thought it might be on their attempts to copy telepathy but it turned out, it was about us.” Alex lifted his head, throwing a glance at Caitlin. “Scott, Gabe and me.” He dropped his head again. “Take them alive. We need all three. Readings showed some energy pattern variation in our genetic make up why none of us can hurt the other and they wanted to build shields with that. Cancel out every last mutant power. If it worked for us, why not for the rest?” Alex shrugged, it was a solid idea. “They discussed it… and then one of them asked if one or two of us wouldn’t do. And apparently, nope. All three.” They’d had Scott at the time. “Left only Gabe and me.” He nodded. “And then that ugly metal face showed up behind me.” The Sentinel had blown the upper level of the warehouse this had taken place at to smithereens – along with two of the agents being dead on site.

“I didn’t see it coming. And before I knew it, I saw my arm … on the lower floor of that warehouse.” He shivered. It was a sight he would still have nightmares about. “I have no idea how I got out … but I did. And as I got this little toy here …”, he lifted the arm that was now a cybernetic one, “I decided it was better if I stayed dead. That it would drop Gabe on their priority list.” As a mutant he would never be completely taken off for as long as he was alive.

“So I … I became Steven Smith.” Alex sneered. “Look him up. Model citizen. Not even a parking ticket. Taxed paid …” He leaned back, still staring off in the distance as he continued his story. “I had medication to suppress the x-gene. I was baseline … so I donned the uniform and I began working as one of the foot soldiers. I tried to find out where Scott was … but I had to do it through the faceless numbers of the foot soldiers. The scans and background checks for the suited agents were too thorough.” He had had his ways to get through DNA scans undetected. Not that they really paid that much attention to the foot soldiers that were basically cannon fodder.

“I’d made it to Beta clearance. Six more months, I may have gone on to one of the deeper levels. Some of those compounds are built well over fifty stories down. You may be able to get in, but not back out … Leaving Beth at the Gamma-Xi Compound was really bad planning on the SFG’s part. There’s others much better equipped to hold an omega level.” Something about the whole thing still did not add up to him – but that was a topic for another day. “I never got any information on where they kept Scott. May know a thing or two about Frost though … they killed her. But they’re keeping her body.”

Another deep breath in as Alex sat up. “When your team hit Gamma-Xi, I was there. I was on duty that night.” Memories flashed before his inner eye. “We were understaffed. They’d picked that night to roll out the new ammunition.” He gazed up at Caitlin for a moment. “Diamond tipped bullets.” Another heavy breath in, and out. “So when the intrusion was detected, we were put on red alert but my position was on the other side of the compound … I took the shortest route.” He could recall the moment like it had just happened. “I heard someone bellow … take her down. It was Paige.” His voice was breathless. Then he nodded. “I popped the anti-suppressant … and sent it all to hell.” Pause … “They would have mowed her down.”

Alex eventually sat up, looked at Caitlin. “That’s where I’ve been since then. With Paige… and now I’d like to see my brother. Even if he throws more punches than you …” He shrugged. It was the place he had to go next. “I guess, he gets to.”

11-18-2018
01:34 AM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
11-18-2018, 01:34 AM
[In-Character] [Post #8]
Caitlin wasn’t sure what she was hearing. He wanted to apologise to her as well? For what? She could guess but part of her didn’t want his apology, not now. She needed it then. What good would it do now? But the other part craved that much needed apology. It needed closure, one she never had because he had pushed her away. Dropped her like a ton of bricks. And it had hurt, very much so. It was one of the reasons she had found it difficult to let Gabriel in, because he was a Summers.

And one Summers had already broken her heart, she wasn’t sure if she could have handled a second time. Strange how things turned out in the end. She was very happy with Gabriel and their two kids. He was nothing like Alex and perhaps that had been the key to their relationship, the one thing she needed to see that this would not turn out in heartbreak.

So, they sat down on the bench and Alex started to talk. Caitlin would let him finish, listen to what he had to say and then decide what to do. After all he was family now and Gabriel needed his brothers.

Cait had to give him that he didn’t start out bad with describing himself or how he used to be. The Alex she used to know. Good for him that he did some soul searching. And perhaps it helped a little towards the apology he was working on.

She watched him as he continued his story, and yeah she remembered well. Caitlin was already five months pregnant back then and Gabriel had begged her not to go along. That it wouldn’t be safe. And clearly it hadn’t been. Alex’ side of the story didn’t come as a surprise, she had debriefed a few of the mutants who had been there. It’s how they managed to piece together the complete story of what happened during that mission and what had happened to Alex.

She wasn’t even shocked to hear that they had been after all three Summers brothers. Caitlin and Gabriel knew that he had a hot target on his back, that they wanted him for the reasons Alex was now listing. It was why they had kept things quiet regarding the twins. If the SFG found out about Tony and Alex, the hunt would be back on. Just to see if the kids would have inherited that same power immunity like their dad and uncles.

“Yeah we buried that arm…” Caitlin silently said, staring dead ahead. And it had put Gabriel in the strangest of moods for a couple of weeks. Just an arm, not the rest. Simply because the rest had walked out of the building without anybody knowing. And yes, it had dropped her husband down the priority list but if he had the choice he would have rather have his brother back.

The fact that Alex had taken this chance to find out where they had taken Scott, made her ponder if she should just tell him that his oldest brother was actually in fact in her care at the theatre. Caitlin decided against it, mostly because he would just abandon his whole story and go run half-cocked into things. Not when they still hadn’t figured out what the hell was wrong with Scott. It had to do with Emma, that much they figured out after Wanda did her thing and spoke her riddles. So when Alex mentioned that the SFG still had Emma’s body, Caitlin wondered how that could be connected to Scott. If only the man remembered more than what he had for breakfast. Which wasn’t much, since he refused to eat as well.

“You know, if you tell Gabriel that you have been living as a norm all these years he’s going to do much more than just throw punches.” She finally spoke up after he finished his story on how he came out of hiding to save Paige and how he has been with her for a better part of a week and didn’t bother to contact them until now through a meeting set up under false pretences. “Not even if you explained that it was to find Scott, who I might have a lead on. But that’s something to discuss at a later point. Time for my story.”

“Did you ever wonder why I never came out that day? We’ve been planning that mission for weeks but your brother didn’t think it wise that his five month pregnant wife would be running around and getting her and their unborn babies killed.” She said, still staring ahead. “So when we found out what happened, what was left of you, or so we assumed, he started to beat himself up that he hadn’t extended the same worry to you. Instead we had to bury you, well your arm, and welcome our children into this world without his brothers around.”

“We named one after you, you know.” She closed her eyes, still seeing her husband filled with joy but mixed with sadness when he held his children for the first time. Something he couldn’t share with either Alex or Scott.

“You will hurt him with this Alex, much like how you hurt me back then. You abandoned him, and now you’re back demanding to see him. You should have just shown up at the theatre and hope for the best because you asking me for permission to hurt my husband, and he will be hurt by this …” She shook her head. “… I’m not sure that’s a smart move.”

But she was not her husband’s keeper and she wouldn’t keep Alex away from Gabriel. Not when she knew that he needed his family, even if they were a couple of asshats.

“Did you know this is actually the first time in years, probably even more than a decade, that you’ve sat down with me? Alone that is.” She casually said. “I loved you once, Alex. Loved you with every fibre of my being. We can both agree that it was very … intense, for lack of a better word. You were my everything, now he is. I love him so much that it pains to be away from him. We are a team, without him I wouldn’t have lasted in the world as we know it right now. But…” She halted, shifting her head so she could look at the man next to her.

“… Family is everything for him. I know he misses you and Scott, there are pieces missing and he doesn’t know how to fill them. How do you think it will go when I tell him his brother isn’t dead?” She genuinely wanted to know.
01:36 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-18-2018, 01:36 PM
[In-Character] [Post #9]
Alex sat and waited when he had finished his short recount of the past four years. Of course, there was a whole lot he had left out, but most of that was none of her business. Yet, he had to admit that he was glad she had not asked about the arm. Maybe she knew how and where he had gotten it, along with the medication. But if not, there was no need to unveil that just now. He sucked air into his lungs, leaning back and keeping his eyes unfocussed on a spot in front of him. Alex was listening.

[“You know, if you tell Gabriel that you have been living as a norm all these years he’s going to do much more than just throw punches.]
Alex nodded, his heart was sinking. Of course he knew. Maybe he had hoped that Caitlin would tell him how Gabriel would be overjoyed to see one of his big brothers again – but in truth he knew that that would not be the case. Alex saw the pain and hurt he had caused in Paige every day. It would not be much different with Gabriel – just that Gabriel probably did not necessarily have a three year old hovering somewhere keeping him from beating Alex to a bloody pulp.

Why was it that Alex always felt like the black sheep - like he ought to be the youngest and not Gabriel?

[“Not even if you explained that it was to find Scott, who I might have a lead on. But that’s something to discuss at a later point. Time for my story.”]
Again, Alex simply nodded, then shook his head. She was right, the argument that he had done it to find Scott … it had eventually turned into the big elephant in the damned room. He had hidden behind it – as always, running from everything good in his life. Because he was the screw-up, wasn’t he? How could he deserve anything that was good and honest and right for him?

There was a reason why he had kept returning to the Brotherhood.
But that part of his life now seemed to be from another lifetime altogether. He pushed it away, locking it behind a door as Caitlin began her own recount.

[“Did you ever wonder why I never came out that day? We’ve been planning that mission for weeks but your brother didn’t think it wise that his five month pregnant wife would be running around and getting her and their unborn babies killed. So when we found out what happened, what was left of you, or so we assumed, he started to beat himself up that he hadn’t extended the same worry to you. Instead we had to bury you, well your arm, and welcome our children into this world without his brothers around. We named one after you, you know.”]
“You did?” he asked rhetorically and his voice broke. Alex leaned forward, putting his elbows back onto his knees and pressing the heels of his palms into his eye sockets. His brother had kids – he had nieces or nephews. And one of them carried his name?

[“You will hurt him with this Alex, much like how you hurt me back then.”]
“I know”, he admitted, his voice still thick with tears he was fighting back.

[“You abandoned him, and now you’re back demanding to see him. You should have just shown up at the theatre and hope for the best because you asking me for permission to hurt my husband, and he will be hurt by this …… I’m not sure that’s a smart move.”]
“I’m not asking your permission, Caitlin”, he pressed out, his hands falling away from his eyes as Alex stared straight ahead. “I’m telling you because whatever happens when I stand in front of him, will to some degree certainly affect you.” It was a courtesy. “I won’t ask you to lie. Or keep things from him. You tell him whatever you need to tell him whenever …” Alex needed her to know this. He would not ask anything of the sort of her. He simply wanted to prepare at least one of the two – because Alex was sure his reappearance would likely completely blindside Gabriel no matter how he found out about it.

[“Did you know this is actually the first time in years, probably even more than a decade, that you’ve sat down with me? Alone that is. I loved you once, Alex. Loved you with every fibre of my being. We can both agree that it was very … intense, for lack of a better word. You were my everything, now he is.”]
Alex nodded. He carried the memories with him. Caitlin had been a start of a long road.

[“I love him so much that it pains to be away from him. We are a team, without him I wouldn’t have lasted in the world as we know it right now. But… Family is everything for him. I know he misses you and Scott, there are pieces missing and he doesn’t know how to fill them. How do you think it will go when I tell him his brother isn’t dead?”]
“I don’t know”, he admitted. “Jesus, Cait, I don’t fucking know.” His eyes were red, when he pushed up and stood. He felt as helpless as he looked. Pushing his hands deep into his jacket pockets, Alex turned around, his front now turned towards the bench as he stared at the horizon behind her.

“I lost my dad when I was 11, my mom died in a fire four years later – and I ended up killing two humans not long after that. That’s what made me Raven’s pet project for the better part of my life.” They had never much talked about their childhood back then – they had been too busy finding themselves on opposite ends of an ongoing fight. “I was on the wrong side, in the wrong fucking place … and then, she” – Raven – “tasks me with infiltrating the school and it’s you I stumble upon.” He exhaled. “You did something to me … which was good. Really good. And I didn’t know what to do with it.” He narrowed his eyes as he focussed on the memories surfacing. “I took every excuse to fall back in line with Raven, and disappear from your radar. I pushed you away at almost every step of the damned way.” His eyes momentarily flicked over to find her before he had to look away again. She was right, after their few weeks together, he had avoided her at all costs right until that day at the damned shooting range many years later.

“And I know it was unfair. But… seeing you with Warren, and the way even Scott looked at you.” He shook his head. “It was like, I was giving myself reasons why you would not stay with me, why running after you would result in you being with someone else …” The smile on his face was a weak attempt that failed miserably. “Same with Lorna. I wanted to marry her … I had the damned rings and everything. And I left her there at the altar. Why would any woman like that stay with me? Would she not run for the hills when she realised who I really was?”

“And Paige …”, his voice broke. He had maneuvered himself into exactly the same position he had been in with Lorna. Leaving her, only to now come back. The thought was like a cold hand straight to his throat. Lorna had made it clear that there was no way back for them.

“This is what I do. I run from the good things in my life because I somehow think I don’t deserve them, think the people I let close will leave me anyway. So I leave them instead. Just like I left you …” Again a glance to her as he let his head sink. Then Alex closed his eyes. “I’m glad you’re happy with Gabriel. That you got him, and that he’s better to you than I was.” His words were genuine, and he felt good finally saying them to her.

Yet he was not done yet. “My mom’s last words were to find Scott – she didn’t even know about Gabriel. She left me with that. But when I found out who Scott was … I choked on it all alone, instead of seeking him out; of seeking them out. I felt like they owed me something, like they would have to come to me …” Alex shook his head. “Raven always fed on that kind of thing, never just telling me how much of an idiot I was. So that day at the warehouse, I thought I did them a favour, and instead I cut myself off from everyone that ever mattered to me.” Once more, he closed his eyes. “I was alone – half of myself completely gone – insomnia my best friend, having lost an arm and I had only myself to blame. It took that for me to realise that I had it all. A family, people who cared about me.”

Alex felt the lump in his throat and with tired, small steps, he once more approached the bench and sat down. “I am not telling you this because I want your pity.” He finally said. “Or because I think it’ll change what you do. I get that you’re on Gabriel’s side, and I’m glad you are.” He breathed in, forced himself to pull back hunched shoulders. “I am telling you this because I realised all these things. And I get it … I made mistakes and I plan on owning up. Maybe I lost Gabriel and Scott then, but I’ll have to try anyway. It scares the shit out of me that there is that chance that I’m too late.” That lump in his throat made it hard to swallow. “I look at Paige every day and she’s the walking and talking reminder that I might once more lose what I really want – and that the same might happen with my brother…your kids…you.” He paused for a moment, and continued in a voice barely audible. “And I couldn’t even blame you for it…”

11-18-2018
05:20 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
11-18-2018, 05:20 PM
[In-Character] [Post #10]
Being an empath was sometimes easy for her, especially when she needed to find out of the person she was talking too was being sincere in what they were telling her. With Alex she didn’t have to try though, his sincerity came off of him in waves. That and the fact that he was scared. She watched him get up and turn towards the bench. He wasn’t looking at her though, he was staring behind her when he started to talk again.

Recounting his history, half stories she had already heard but never able to figure out completely and then it had been too late to get to know him better anyway. He had pushed her away, over and over again but they had gravitated back to each other at impossible times. Until he hadn’t come back at all and she had spiralled down into depression.

Emma had sent her away to Ireland to recover. Something about an empathic imprint and that she needed to break it before she would break herself completely.

Wait, what? The way Scott had looked at her? Alex clearly didn’t know Scott that well.

He continued telling her about how he had done the same to Lorna and then Paige. How he thought he didn’t deserve the good things in his life and that made her heart break for him. For all the things he had done in the past, she now just realised how truly broken he had been. Losing his mother like that. His father leaving him and finding another woman who gave him another son and never looking back to the one he had abandoned.

Yet, Alex clearly didn’t know how much he had started to mean to the people in his life. That they loved him no matter the flaws or his bullshit. Even her. Hell she really wouldn’t have named her daughter after him if she still harboured ill wishes towards him.

And here he sat, telling her that he thought he would lose it all again and that he didn’t want her pity. So instead she started telling about her kids.

“We had twins. A boy, Tony, and a girl, Alex. Tony looks a lot like Gabe, but sometimes he sneaks in some Scott and even you. He really has that Summers stubbornness down to a tee. Alex, she’s more like me. A real spitfire according to Gabriel.” She smiled at that. “We kept them off the radar from the SFG. Afraid that they would think that they acquired the power resistance gene like you and your brothers have.” She shifted slightly.

“We’re currently running operations from an old theatre. Picking up stray mutants, and rescuing them when needed.” The place really started to fill up and it wouldn’t be long before they had to find another location for the refugees. “We’ve built a live for ourselves there, for as much as that is possible.”

“I do not pity you Alex, but my heart breaks for you. You will never lose us, we’re family after all but if you keep up this idiotic behaviour… forgiveness will not come as easy this time around.” She gently punched him in the shoulder.

“Come see us tomorrow, Paige has the address. You can tell him yourself about not being dead. I already shook his world enough this week.”