Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [NYC] The Theatre [Manhattan]

11-16-2018
09:44 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
Style: Sovereign
11-16-2018, 09:44 AM
[In-Character] [Post #41]
Kitty shifted from her kneel to a cross-legged position while Caitlin was lying out the story for her. Her friend was deeply troubled, deeply worried about Scott. Kitty could understand why. Scott was family. And you risked everything for family. Yet in these times they were it was dangerous to just blindly trust – even faces they had known all of their lives. Obviously, Caitlin had at some point learned that lesson the hard way just like she had.

When Caitlin chased her sentence about the man looking very much like Scott with a “but”, Kitty nodded. “You’re going to have to let one of the psychics do their work …” Kitty sat up, turning to look at the redhead. “Maybe Beth.” Even Kitty knew by now that the SFG had upped the psychic’s level to Omega. “Or Wanda”, Kitty didn’t do much to hide the fact that she couldn’t stand the scarlet witch. She never did.

Kitty tried to do her own thing to determine whether he was the real Scott, but it did not yield much in terms of results. That just was not what she was good for. She heaved a sigh and swallowed when Caitlin mentioned Thor and her belief that he was still alive. “I hope so”, she choked out letting her hands sink back into her lap as they rematerialized fully. “There are ways to kill even him”, she pushed out in a hushed tone, a hardness seeping back into her tone that had not been there a decade ago. Kitty had had a lot of time to get familiar with the possibility that she would not see him again – that some day, her attempts to reach him would not produce the flashes of a familiar mind and heart; that they would lead into black nothingness.

She forced herself to stop thinking of that and pay attention to what her friend was saying. So Gabriel did not know – and Kitty understood exactly what had driven Caitlin to keep something like this from him. “Sounds like he lost his memory? Or suppressed it?” Kitty shrugged a little helplessly. She knew a bit psyche 101, but not the clinical level that could explain what brought amnesia on. “Educated guess … they tortured him.” Now there was something that was no secret. So Kitty said it with sarcasm thick in her voice. It was, after all, all of their fates if they fell into the hands of the SFG. Have their powers grafted, and then be reduced to damned lab rats.

“I think letting him sleep is a mercy … on both him, and the rest of us.” It was a hunch, but one she suddenly felt very sure on. Then she let herself be pulled to her feet, gladly accepting the offer of a shower and new clothes. “You’re a saint”, she said, the soft cadence unlike Kitty’s usual tone these days, reminiscent of the woman she had once been – before ten years of raising her son alone had changed her.

Ten minutes later, Kitty pulled her damp hair up into a messy bun. She wore simple jeans and a faded black sweater that looked about two sizes two big on her. The stench of copper still clung to every breath she took. She doubted her brain would let go of that smell before the next day was over. Her stomach growled as it informed her that she should have eaten hours ago.

Caitlin had left her to her own devices for the moment, so Kitty made her way back to the kitchen on her own. Leif already stood leaning against a doorframe of one of the entrance points into the kitchen. Kitty approached her son, offering him a smile as her hand cupped the side of his handsome face with a gentle gesture. “You ok?” she asked, her tone hushed and meant only for her boy.
“She’s not waking up”, he said, motioning towards Madelyne. “They couldn’t get her back since she gave up that name. They’re pumping blood and saline into a body more dead than alive.” His assessment was almost clinical – Kitty never liked it when Leif’s voice took on this tone. It was too harsh, too hardened for such a young age. He would certainly make a fine warrior one day – but he also needed to share in his father’s big heart and endless compassion. Kitty knew that the hardness was something he had picked up from her. It had driven her through many a sleepless night over the years.
“Well, we have a name now.” That was something, right? She let go of his face, crossed her arms in front of her chest and turned around. She was short enough that standing in front of her son, he had hardly any trouble looking past her. In their mirrored stance, neither of them was aware of how alike they looked in this moment.
“What else was on that server?” Kitty chimed in, addressing Elise.

bury my heart next to yours
11-16-2018
10:15 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-16-2018, 10:15 AM
[In-Character] [Post #42]
Forge was certain, he was putting his foot down, speaking to Beth like this, urging her to sleep. But who he was he kidding? She had her own mind, hardly ever let herself be talked down by him. Her unbending spirit, her driven nature, interspersed with the small quiet moments she gifted him, was another reason why he had lost his heart to this woman.

Reflexively, he sucked air in through his mouth with a small hiss when her voice rang in his mind. How long since he had last heard it? Forge felt a ripple run through his body. It was a sensation that took a hold of his entire being and he was certain he would have lost his footing completely had he been standing up.

I thought they killed you…, he responded to her question, unable to really answer it. He, too, needed rest, suddenly wanting to sleep more so than he had wanted it in the years without her. And he knew exactly why. He no longer would have to deal with the demon that whispered to him that his existence was useless, that without her he was only half a man. That she had made him, and that her end had broken him.

A drunk. A rambler. Someone living amongst junk and the discarded things of others as if he desperately tried to find who he once had been in what others left behind. Part of him still feared what her reaction would be once she came to and could see him for the man he had become. It felt like a far cry from the guy he had once been.

We’re at the theatre. In the basement. I’m with you … They say you haven’t slept in years. A concerned expression crossed his face as his mind worked its way into that mindspace of his where used to connect on a psychic level back then. He doubted he would see her there, figured that she needed to sleep instead of sauntering around his head. Still, he withdrew from their surroundings, treasuring the simple act of sitting there and holding her.

And a bit of sleep for him might just cure that headache still plaguing him.

Why no sleep? he added much like an afterthought, wondering how she had survived all these years. Forge knew some of the things the SFG did to and with his prisoners. The idea that she had gone through that over and over … it woke a sensation in his stomach that had been long gone from his mind, deemed useless and unnecessary in a world you could not change anyway. It was anger.

11-16-2018
11:45 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-16-2018, 11:45 AM
[In-Character] [Post #43]
The commotion had alerted him even in the top-most level of the building. And it was a big building. Jaxon was scanning the surroundings, keeping a watchful eye out for any airborne vessel drawn too close to their hideout. Generally, the security in place was enough – and energy field that surrounded them gave anyone looking from the outside the impression that this was indeed an abandoned building. Yet with mutants slipping in and out under that shield, there was always the danger of someone watching.

So Jaxon had eventually taken on the position of resident security chief – not that that title officially existed. But eventually Caitlin and even Gabriel had started coming to him for help concerning everything the safety of this place. It was their home after all – and if the SFG ever hit it, not only would they score a number of highly skilled and trained mutants, but also children. Some with active mutations, others with dormant ones.

Jaxon’s eyes were trained on the broken window in front of him, but he didn’t actually use his eyes to look outside. Instead he was connected with the system that connected the outside cameras with the shield generator. He was in the system, adjusting settings, ensuring the shield was tight. After all, with an omega now under their roof, they had to crank up the security measures – especially right after a successful hit on a compound.

When everything appeared in order, Jaxon got up, and headed towards what appeared to be the source of the noise. It brought him down into the foyer and eventually into the kitchen where a number of the residents – and guests – were busy trying to assess the damage to one … Madelyne Pryor.

“Huh…”, he said, closely watching the scene unfold but not interfering. Carlton Read, she spit out and Jaxon wondered why someone like the redhead would give up this information. She had nothing to gain from offering anything. All he could see this was, was a ploy. A trap. Give up a name that would lead them to a compound – position Sentinels and enough cyborgs there and … well, it would be like Christmas for the SFG.

Eventually Elise joined them, and Jaxon could not help quirking that eyebrow when she spoke of their secured server. “And how would you have gained access? Can you assure that you did not just see what you were supposed to see?” Maybe the SFG were cocky bastards, thinking their protocols and all that were top notch – but they were not. Because in the end, they would not have risen to their current standing if they did not see their own weaknesses. So it was not uncommon for some savy techs of the institution to place lures and traps all over their system. It took a native eye to tell the ruse from the real thing.

Could Elise make that destinction?

When Gabriel asked where his wife had gone, Jaxon silently played back the images from the security footage connected to the receiver placed at the back of his skull via wireless. “She was with Kitty Pryde – Codename Shadowcat – until ten minutes ago. She is now checking on your children.” Jaxon’s eyes remained on Gabriel.

“I will advise caution, Gabriel.” His voice was matter of fact. “Madelyne Pryor has a history of working for the SFG. Carlton Read is a familiar name. But he died. It appears this is literally a dead end, possibly meant to lure you into rescue mission that could go south…”

Jaxon was aware that whenever he connected himself to any kind of machine or system, he sounded so much like his cybernetic parts had the upper hand. A real cyborg. He could then assess probabilities and play through scenarios with uncanny ease, high precision and clinical detachment. “I calculate a 70% probability for this being a trap. Success rate of gaining access to the compound Carlton Read was assigned to, is at 17%. I highly advise against it.”

He left out certain details on purpose. For example, Read having been his section chief. The man who had made the decisions to replace well over 50% of his body. He was less human now than he was robot – even if that was not obvious to the naked eye. Read was also the man Jaxon had killed. Why Pryor came in here throwing about the name of a dead man … it made no sense to him.

He figured, he would have to access his old memory banks and retrieve what else could be there that he was not seeing.

11-16-2018
01:12 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
Style: Gotham
11-16-2018, 01:12 PM
[In-Character] [Post #44]
“I’ll have Wanda check him out if Beth is still out. I need to talk to Gabriel first.” Cait told her, not even sure what to tell her husband to begin with. ‘Hey honey! I found your long-lost brother on the streets. Surprise!’ Yeah not sure how that would go with him. “His energy doesn’t feel like someone who lost his memory. No whatever happened to him, and torture is indeed high on my list, made him suppress who he is.”

She guided Kitty to one of the converted showers and left her with a fresh set of clothes. It was time to go check on her own kids and then find Gabriel and tell him that his oldest brother isn’t dead but not quite right in the head.

Caitlin found them in their beds, transfixed eyes on Megan as she read them a bedtime story. “Can I be a princess?” Alex asked. “But instead of getting saved, can I do the saving?” She carried on. Megan laughed at that. “Just like mommy.”

“I’m going to be just as badass as dad.” Tony spoke up around a yawn.

“Come on you two, time for bed.” Caitlin spoke up, getting inside the room. She mouthed a thank you to Megan who closed the book and left the room. She first tucked in Tony, who was already half asleep. She gave him a kiss on his forehead and then turned to Alex who was regarding her with a gaze that told her the little girl knew too much.

“What’s up sweetpea?” She asked her daughter, sitting on the edge of the bed. “Is uncle Scott going to be okay?” Caitlin should have been surprised by the girl’s knowledge but she figured out that she had passed on her empathy to her daughter and it was growing into something more. “I don’t know, honey.”

“Somebody did a horrible thing to him.” Alex went on. “He doesn’t want to remember.”

“Do you know what he’s trying to forget?” Caitlin asked, hoping that the answer would be no. Alex shook her head and Cait let out a sigh of relief. “Go to sleep, okay? Let mommy and daddy worry about your uncle.” The little girl nodded as Cait gave her kiss and got up.

“Daddy’s coming.” Alex yawned, tugging her stuffed rabbit closer.

Caitlin left the room, closing the door behind her and leaning against it with her forehead. What was she going to do now?
04:23 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Fred (F)
11-16-2018, 04:23 PM
[In-Character] [Post #45]
Kitty Pryde re-entered the kitchen and she wondered briefly over what she had Caitlin had left to discuss that couldn’t be discussed there. Too many ears perhaps, and she wondered whose they meant to keep their words out of.

Victor Creed, she glanced at him, was likely not the individual as he likely heard whatever they had discussed without making much effort to augment his hearing to focus. She wondered if anything could be kept out of his ears, nose, any of his senses. Well, she was aware of one thing, or rather one person that the SFG managed to keep just out of his reach. And it was odd, given the history that Tony had once given her that he would care about one little mutant that he had once thought would be better off dead.

She frowned, wondering why her brain held onto such seemingly random information over the course of decade when it had never seemed pertinent before. But-

Her gaze shifted to…Jaxon. That was what she had heard Megan call him earlier. How could she discern if she had been led on. She tipped her head. “Fair point.” She bit her lower lip and struggled not to shift uncomfortably. “I helped build the original formatting.” That was part of what Tony had recruited her for. Design code, then try to break it, and then make it better. Jaxon then turned to address Gabe’s questioning about Cait and he gave an almost mechanical response. It was almost fascinating to watch him.

Carlton Read.

Carlton Read was dead.

He had been a subordinate of Zander Rice at one point and she glanced again towards Creed. “Carlton Read was responsible for implementing Kimura once more as Laura Kinney’s ‘handler’.” She spit the last word out like it was something bitter on her tongue. “But that was several years ago.” Kimura was…sadistic, that was the best word she could ascribe for that woman. She had only ever met her face to face once, but things she had been told made her skin crawl. “The last I found on them was a week ago. She was moved to a holding location in Boston two months ago.”

She looked back towards Kitty. “The compound we extracted Beth from, there was someone else there.” She lifted a hand slowly from her side. “I don’t know who for sure. Paige latched `onto Beth’s identity and potential presence and that was what we acted on.”
11-16-2018
06:38 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Fred (F)
11-16-2018, 06:38 PM
[In-Character] [Post #46]
[I know.] She pushed the thought into his head. She knew where they were, and she knew the mind of every individual within the building and a half mile radius. Every attempt she made to try to mentally move again, though, was like moving through some sort of thick and unyielding gel, keeping her from sliding into another head. Her body was still fighting for shut down as if it knew better than she did that for at least the moment, she was relatively safe and could actually shut down for once, completely.

It had been so long.

When he prodded her about her apparent lacking sleep habits, she made a note to inquire with Paige and the human girl what exactly they had managed to extract from whatever system files they had accessed. But then the idea of the twins giving up that bit of information hit her. The ease with which she could bond to their minds, and their youth, the likely absorbed information without trying. And she hadn’t been aware enough to even consider blocking them.

Pushing through the odd sticky barrier around her head, she made herself move, her physical body shifting slightly, her fingers twitched enough to brush Jonathan’s thumb and she used it to draw him into her, since she could push hard enough to get through to him.

The first memory she could conjure was the sushi restaurant he had taken her to for their first ‘date’. She sat at the counter as they had, her fingertip sliding around the lip of a glass half full. When she turned just enough on the barstool and noted him standing in the doorway, she tipped her head slightly, inquiringly, before she glanced at the surroundings. “This wasn’t even the first place that we met.” She said as she assessed the empty tables. “But it was the easiest to find.”

She shrugged her shoulders and looked back at him. “It seems my body has plans of its own to keep me for reaching too far now, enough that I’ve become something akin to a prisoner in my own mind space.” Much like Farouk had been so so long ago. How long ago, though. She couldn’t remember the actual days. They had all run together. It was easy to lose track when you didn’t see the sun, didn’t see the moon, the change in the shade of the sky heralding the change in day.

Now that he was in her head, his thought were easier to perceive. She didn’t bother picking or reaching, regardless of how hungry her curiosity was. His memories came in sparks along her synapses and the made little effort to link them together to for a cohesive picture. That could be done later.
11-16-2018
08:41 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-16-2018, 08:41 PM
[In-Character] [Post #47]
To feel her move against him, made Forge smile. Breathing, emitting warms, moving. Beyond the shadow of a doubt, his wife was alive. He allowed the sensations of relief, of gratitude and just simple happiness to settle in his chest. Slowly, because he could not process this any faster had he tried. The twitch of her fingers sent another jolt through him.

In his mindspace, he felt a pathway open just behind him. Just as Beth moved in her physical appearance, she was bridging the paths between their minds on a mental level. Forge turned around, and in front of him there stood a door open. Without hesitation or the shadow of a doubt, he took a step forward.

A sushi restaurant? Forge smiled as his gaze settled on the form sitting there at the bar. For a moment, he just stared at her in awe. Lavender strands, matching the shade of her eyes perfectly. She was everything he remembered about her and more. Forge swallowed as he pushed into the room, knowing he was crossing over from his mind into hers. Nothing between them had ever been easier than sharing their mindspace.

He was counting all the reasons today why he loved her, it seemed.

“I’ll share the cell with you, if don’t mind …”, he mumbled as she explained to him that she was apparently a prisoner of her own mind.

Forge’s appearance was the same as out there. Just that instead of a work-stained shirt, here what he wore was freshly pressed. Here it was dress-slacks in black, and shoes that nicely went with the ensemble. Yet still, his hair – grown long and peppered with grey streaks – was the same. Pulled back into a ponytail. He bridged the distance to her, gently shifting her around on her chair so he could rest a hand on her crossed legs, while pulling her upper body against him.

His form rippled slightly when his lips met hers. The kiss was restrained, tentative to a point. So yes, maybe he worried after all this time that this would just be a mirage after all. Certain habits did die hard when you have cultivated them just long enough. “I thought I’d never see you again …” he eventually said, when he opened his eyes to gaze into hers.

11-17-2018
02:06 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-17-2018, 02:06 PM
[In-Character] [Post #48]
Victor Creed. Who would have ever thought that she would consider him the sole friendly individual in this entire set up? Madelyne in a way hovered over her own body. It didn’t look so good, that was obvious. Even she – and she was a true layman in all things medical – could tell that her wounds had stopped bleeding.

They’re giving me your blood, she thought, reaching out to Victor as he sat there, connected to her through a damned tube.

Madelyne kept well away from the signatures of other telepaths rummaging around in the room. Especially Beth – even if it would be very hard to stay away from her. Her powers had grown so much in these past years. It would take every trick in her book to keep that darned woman out of her head. Well, at least away from the part of her psyche that was not lying dormant now.

She slipped into Victor’s head, knowing no telepath in their right mind would follow her here. Well, she had to admit it was not exactly a place about roses and sunshine. Victor had seen many things in his long life – most of it had eventually been bathed in crimson. But Madelyne did not mind. At least there was an honesty about all this. Victor Creed did not see the point in making up stories and hiding things. He was upfront to say the least.

I’ll end up hairy like you.

His mindspace was a dark place and it took considerable effort for her to change the setting enough that the dark and cold cave she found herself in was lit with a small fire and equipped with two rather out of place armchairs. She smiled, shrugged and dropped into one of them.

You need to get me out of this place. Fast. Otherwise I’ll leave it in a damned body bag.

11-17-2018
03:42 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-17-2018, 03:42 PM
[In-Character] [Post #49]
Jax tipped his head sideways in consideration of this human woman. Maybe she did have information worth considering. He would gladly accept whatever was at his disposal to fill up some of the skeletons worth of intel he had been provided with. Jaxon stepped closer to Elise. “Read worked for the SFG for well over a decade. His demise was considered a real … shame.” His eyes were on Elise’s face and the expression was – unintentionally so – scrutinising. Jaxon wasn’t aware of it, it was him paying close attention, taking someone, anyone under consideration. Some appreciated this matter of fact approach he had to pretty much everything. Others found it off-putting.

“Boston has two main compounds, twelve minor ones; four of which are unfit to house prisoners. It depends on her classification where they moved her and whether she will stay for long.” Sometimes the SFG’s classification of mutants matched their own, a lot of the time they didn’t.

“Someone else …”, Jaxon repeated, taking what he knew into consideration. Then he shook his head. “But this is unlikely. Gamma-Xi is anything but equipped with proper inhibiting tech to hold more than one omega. Especially now that a break was successful.” His gaze shifted into a distance as he tapped into the wireless connection and pulled up anything public he could find on the transportation routes the SFG used. “If another Omega was at Gamma-Xi then there would be something to be found online about upcoming transports. They would cut their losses and move out anything of value. They will not allow the failure to occur twice.”

Momentarily, his eyes shifted back to Elise. Then once more stared into the distance. Finally, he shook his head. “Nothing.” He breathed in, his gaze shifting down to a place tween his nose and the floor. He was calculating odds. “Assuming your intel is correct, then what are the probabilities?” A small pause. “The only thing that would make sense if that ‘other person of worth’ present at Gamma-Xi is dead. A dead mutant that can be of used even past the stages of life.”

A dire image presented through a clinical approach – leave it to Jaxon Walker to deliver just that with absolute precision.

11-18-2018
11:21 AM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
Style: Gotham
11-18-2018, 11:21 AM
[In-Character] [Post #50]
Victor often wondered why he had agreed to stick around this theatre. He wasn’t one to surround himself with other mutants, he was a loner. He wanted nothing to do with other people, he was broody and cranky most of the time. Except when those brats chased him down and made him tell them a story. He was pretty sure their mother knew what was going on and the fact that she let them around him… Well it did something funny to him on the inside. Something he couldn’t name.

So when he had heard all the commotion and sniffed out who they had brought in, he had already been hovering outside the corridor when Red had called for him.

And now he was sitting there in a chair with a tube draining his blood and transferring it to one Madelyne Pryor. He was of a mind to ask the kid who was hovering around to get him some whiskey when a voice entered his head.

Very observant. Normally he would have pushed any psychic out of his head but for now he would make an exception. After all, she was lying half dead on a kitchen counter.

Perhaps he could sit this out without getting stupidly drunk. Not that would be easy for him anyway with his fast metabolism due to his healing factor. Not likely, but amusing if it would happen. He told her after her remark of ending up hairy.

And then she was inside, changing the darkness inside his head where she sat down in an armchair in front of a small fire. Sure why the hell not. It’s not that he had something better to do right now than being a living bloodbag. Victor walked out of the shadows and sat down in the empty chair next to her. Leaving in a body bag is your own choice, princess. I’m giving you my blood. He knew she should be healing more rapidly than this but if she wasn’t, it meant she was rejecting what he was offering. He didn’t even touch the fact that she wanted him to take her out of the theatre.

That actually didn’t sit well with him. So did that mean he didn’t want to leave?

And why leave? You are safe here.