Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [SGF] When The Lights Go Out

06-26-2015
09:47 PM
Scourge
Death is the debt all pay

Contributor
Name: Lia (F)
06-26-2015, 09:47 PM
[In-Character] [Post #21]
"My problems ain't as simple as taking out some machines." Ben stopped when the small group came to a corner and peeked around, seeing nothing he motioned the others to follow, "Apparently my mutation is so unique when it comes to their damn machines that they got Reed's secret recipe serum to keep me doped up." Ben looked down at his hand and flexed his fingers, "I'm not even sure how long it'll take for the damn thing to leave my system."

Hearing whispered voices ahead of him Ben went quiet and motioned for Scott and the redhead to flush themselves against the wall. In the dim lighting Ben saw that the voices belonged to others that were also making a break for it. Once the group of other prisoners passed Ben motioned again for the two to follow. It was good a group would be ahead of them because any traps in the system would be sprung by them, "But if the dampeners are keeping you in check, I'm all for bustin' them up. Been a while since I actually got to clobber something."

Ben was itching to let out all his frustrations through violence. If that violence was geared toward a non-living object, well, at least he wouldn't feel guilty, "Either of you know where the hell they keep the dampeners at?"
06-28-2015
03:36 AM
Celestial
No More Hiding...

Contributor
Name: Stephen (M)
06-28-2015, 03:36 AM
[In-Character] [Post #22]
While waiting for his leader's response, Bobby heard Kitty make mention of breaking the circuits of the facility looming before them. He couldn't help but wonder what was it like inside this mutant hell. Involuntarily, his fists clenched in a buildup of rage. How many of their students were locked up in there? How many others failed to survive the rigors of whatever unspeakable experiments were done to them? Bobby's skin began to turn into ice, starting from his fists going up to his forearms, anticipating himself breaking into those gates, given the chance.

"Reinforcements should be coming in ... instead, it appears the last guards just went home for the night."

No wonder I can't see human heat signatures. It isn't the distance... "Then it should be perfect timing for us to pay them a little visit. As they say, when the cat's away...", he started, then paused midway through the adage. In their case, the cat wasn't away - Kitty told him she wanted to come with, and Bobby nodded in agreement. "Or in our case, the cat is coming over to play."

From behind, Iceman could tell Vulcan began to fume. Was an eruption imminent? He'd know better than to just look on while another mutant or two could be inhaling their last breaths. Yet, looking ahead in the distance, Bobby thought he saw a dash of red amid the dark. There shouldn't be woodland creatures around this facility, or any creature big enough to pass for human. He tried to zoom in, get a better scan, and just as his eyes locked upon a figure with its back to a tree in the distance, his field of vision exploded with bright red shades.

“Now what the hell was that?”

He couldn't help it, now was the time to act. Taking one step forward, Bobby iced up and left his feeble, fleshy form behind. A frosty breath floated in the wind as he gave Gabriel a brief reply. "That was the universe being awesome. Something we'd need to aim for as a team. There also was someone down there, outside the gates before things went boom."

Kitty's comment about bringing friends forced a grin in his ice-scupture of a face. Apart from the other resistance members from HQ, he could hardly remember having friends anymore. A bit of a flashback from their time at McCoy's crept into his mind but he willed it away. Distractions aren't welcome right now. "Perfect timing. My knuckles haven't made friends for some time now."

“If anyone is going near that place, it’s going to be from a direction not near the firework display.”

Of course, that's where the sentinels and guards would be..., Bobby reaffirmed, starting into the network of trees looming before them as he gave Cait and Gabe a wink and a salute. "Yes, grampa. You know how to find me if you decide to come along.", he said, pertaining to a trail of ice he'd intentionally leave on the path he'd walk on. It shouldn't melt off by the time Cait and Gabe decide on things, Bobby hoped.

... though that would be the easiest way in. Conflicted, Iceman glanced around and spotted Kitty seemingly going in a different direction from the explosion, away from the sentinel, perhaps. Should he follow her for quick access into the facility? Would it be better to look for that person he spotted in the distance moments before the explosion?

"Hey, cat!", he called out while striding behind Kitty, deciding to follow her instead of searching for the mystery person. She already got in once, there's a good chance she could do it again. "Mind if I tail you?"

06-28-2015
04:52 AM
Celestial
No More Hiding...

Contributor
Name: Stephen (M)
06-28-2015, 04:52 AM
[In-Character] [Post #23]
Simultaneous with an explosion in the distance, Nate's eyes peeled open while his other senses kicked in and detected... peace? How long has it been since his captors started to bombard him with sensory abuse? He can't seem to recall anymore. His eyeballs darted left and right as though checking for any other sign of movement, though he only saw black.

No visuals today?, skeptically thought the psionic mutant while trying to pull his knees up. Just then did he also feel that his cuffs weren't latched around his ankles. He then reached for his wrists with both hands and confirmed the same - all four of his limbs, as well as his torso, were free of its bindings. What is going on?!

Nate sat up and pulled the helmet off around his head. For who knows how long, he had been fed with visuals and sounds through the infernal device to disorient him. It had been effective for so long, he still can't believe that what he was experiencing in that very moment were real. He blinked a few times to adjust his eyes, only to have his gaze meet his cell door. The fuck am I sitting here for?

Gingerly, the psionic pushed himself out of the cushioned platform, not unlike an operating room table, he had been lying on. As his feet flattened upon the cold floor, he felt his knees wobble beneath him. Nate's body seemed to complain about the sudden movements and ambulation that it almost gave way had he not grabbed the platform behind him. How long has it been since he last walked?

One small step at a time..., he commanded his feet and legs to oblige. He then decided to open his cell door, hoping against hope that the lock went out with much of the power. Focusing his vision on the handle, clenching his jaw and holding his breath, Nate willed the handle to swing down. Nothing happened.

He bit his lip. Bit it so hard he thought he'd break skin. His shoulders stooped as his arms trembled and his chest heaved. Maybe this was all a fluke. Maybe he was still in one of their virtual simulation games, still tied to the operating-table-like platform squirming uncomfortably just as how crushed he felt at that moment. Maybe he finally died and this is hell. Actual hell, more than the one he experienced after being caught assaulting a small group of sentinels.

From outside his cell, muffled sounds of voices and footfalls funnelled into the psionic's ears. Was the virtual hell program back on? He tried to peer out the small, opaque glass panel on his cell door for signs of movement. Were they coming to pick him up? Not without a fight. He skimmed wildly about, looking for a tool he could use to bludgeon his way out of this cell the moment someone comes in. I'm not staying down again!

With nothing but the helmet portable enough to swing with his hands, Nate grabbed at the cursed gadget and kept it close to his side. He then planted both feet firmly on the floor once more and locked his knees in case they wobble again. If he had to crawl to get out, then he will. Fortunately for him, he wouldn't have to - he resumed to taking steps forward and reached the wall adjacent to the cell door though at a snail's pace.

"Either of you know where the hell they keep the dampeners at?"

Nate heard a gruff voice say, just as he pressed his back onto the wall. Dampeners!, he exclaimed as he confirmed suspicion that his captors were coming to get him. Why would they need dampeners when my powers are already down? Nevertheless, Nate swung the helmet behind him and held his arm at the ready. Once that door opens, he'd whack whoever comes in with all the strength he could muster in his current condition.

06-28-2015
09:17 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
Style: Sovereign
06-28-2015, 09:17 PM
[In-Character] [Post #24]
Scott’s deadpan response to her little pun was rather sobering. While Madelyne found more than one thing to make fun of this … the entire part where Cyclops was now one-eyed? Someone must have used that one by now, right? … it was a bit of an issue to have the man with the lost eye calling her out on it. She swallowed, looking a little sheepish, then shook her head when he prompted her about possibly having another pun up her sleeve. Nope, she was definitely done for now.

Back then Scott had been in an instructor role. A teacher at the school. Now she had outgrown the student role but a sliver of respect was still left. Also, the past ten years had actually done him well, she decided. Stronger lines defined his face now. It was actually quite pleasant to look at.

Neither man figured this was an experiment. Madelyne contemplated suggesting it might be a front, but that would just hit a little too close to home at least in her case. Then again, other than that, there was nothing fake about this facility. Scott’s musings also sounded pretty spot on. The Boston facility was one with a top secret department. It needed to be bomb-proof. She swallowed, did her best to look positively intimidated. She simply kept up, remained quiet. If you’re not sure whether anything you say gives anything away, then don’t say anything at all. It was a gameplan she usually fared with quite well.

She didn’t quite like the news that Ben Grimm wouldn’t turn the moments they disabled the dampeners. They could use his incredible strength as The Thing. She did as he indicated, pushing herself against the wall next to Scott. Then she nodded, very much agreeing with the possibility to get her Telekinesis as well as her Telepathy back. She felt like she was missing a hand without those abilities.

When Ben asked where the dampeners were at, this was something she could actually help with. “The air vents”, she offered. “A while back, two guards picked me up and spoke about the system. How one of the transmitters had failed. The system is a grid, always at least two transmitters covering the same space. One goes down, the system doesn’t fail.” The good thing about this was that this had actually happened. The two dimwits had figured that the medication had knocked her out, but Madelyne had begun cutting her dosage in half, knowing one could find out quite a few things while eavesdropping on guards that thought they were alone.

“They called it ‘the box’. I’m not sure if it’s an actual box though. It’s housed in the vents because they added these dampeners after this facility was constructed. So they used the vents as easiest way to distribute them easily and evenly throughout the prison tract.” She gazed up, looking at the ceiling above them. Every five yards there about a dozen parallel dark lines on the ceilings. Just that they weren’t lines, weren’t drawn on. They were slits. The ventilation system. “The guards made it sound easy …” She looked at Ben, then at Scott, shrugging almost apologetically. “I doubt it will be …”

bury my heart next to yours
06-30-2015
10:40 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Fred (F)
06-30-2015, 10:40 PM
[In-Character] [Post #25]
He hated admitting to even considering himself overprotective. That had never been his role. He was always the go-with-your-gut guy that was willing to back people up. Unless they were being blatantly stupid. Still, what he was now, was not the person he had ever planned to be. Part of himself hated it, but part had embraced it. Watching people die, losing them, was torturous even when he worked at keeping it to himself. Then he’d become a parent. And Alex’s death had simply pushed him into becoming an even worse version of cautious.

That had been his brother. Watching and learning about friends dying was enough to drive any person to their limits. When it became as personal as losing your sibling, hell took on a new form.

The disapproval Kitty felt was tangible, but he wouldn’t shy away from his choice to keep away from the location of the recent explosion. The last thing he wanted to do was agree that the ‘front door’ was the best course of action. He had been involuntarily pushed into a role that he sometimes felt was too heavy for him to bear, but he’d bear it in the wake of absence of anyone else sound enough to fill it. ‘Fearless leader’ and ‘guy in charge’ were names he was still working to accept, regardless of the tone in which he was addressed as such. Most days, he missed Scott’s absence and the opportunity having his brother around would present in passing the mantle back to him.

Then there were days that he wondered if others followed because he was thought to be powerful ad no one then wanted to challenge what he said and did. That proved unnerving at times.

He swallowed back a growl as Kitty pushed ahead, her words biting. Pushing her words back at her was sitting on the tip of his tongue but he swallowed them back and instead took a single step after her before Bobby skipped to, ice form and all. His smart little quips were starting to grate on his nerves, if he were being honest.

As Kitty and Bobby moved forward, he let a sigh slip through his teeth before glancing back at Cait. He didn’t like her being here, that was a given, but the likelihood of her leaving was scant.

The groan of metal once more had the hairs on the back of his neck standing on end. The glitter of light off the familiar scale-like skin prompted him to move quicker and seize both of the other two mutants and drop them into the tall grasses once more as the sentinel moved towards them and then gradually by. It was making its way towards the source of the explosion. “Maybe we could pay attention.” He muttered before pushing himself back to his feet and dusting grass blades from his pants. Then he glanced at Kitty, wanting to inform her that her dying here benefited no one either, but the action to tell her so again died on his lips.

“When we get close, our abilities will likely start to malfunction unless we can pick off their dampeners.” He stated as he stepped forward and continued on the path Kitty had set. “That means we need to be more aware than usual.” How to get through was the deal of the moment and he again looked at the brunette. “How many can you take through?” He glanced at Bobby then. “Unless you’ve an identification for the perpetrator of the explosion and can get them to volley a few more to give us more entry options.”
06-30-2015
11:35 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
Style: Gotham
06-30-2015, 11:35 PM
[In-Character] [Post #26]
Cait had tuned out of the conversation around her, letting both Bobby and Kitty talk with her husband while she focused her mind on the facility in front of her. There was something not right down there but she couldn’t get a lock on it. She wasn’t sure if it was because of those damn dampeners or something else.

She could easily penetrate the facility as long as she was outside of the dampener field, so that was not it. Caitlin could easily read the whole facility up until the lowest basement level. Then she gets blocked out. Strange. Really strange.

Shaking her head she started to focus on the people she could pick out. There were a few familiar ones and she let out a shuddering breath. Finally. If she was right then they had just picked the facility where the older Summers brother was located. And there was Madelyne and… a little further outside now… Elise. Yes it was her alright. What the hell was she doing in there?

Caitlin sent out a burst of emotions towards the woman, making her want to locate where this was coming from. An emotional GPS that would bring her back to Caitlin. It was then that she tuned back into the conversation and looked around. Apparently she had moved along on auto pilot, following her husband towards the fence.

“Babe, I’m staying outside. I’m more of use to you here. Keep your coms open.” She spoke softly to Gabriel who was opting to go inside. “I can give you a distraction as well.” She flicked her fingers and a small fire appeared. “Just tell me how tall.” Cait said with a smile on her lips. She took a step closer to her husband, just close enough so he would be the only one hearing what she had to say. “Don’t get your hopes up but I think Scott is inside. I felt his emotional signature.” She gave him a quick kiss on the lips. “Stay safe or I’m gonna kill you myself.” She said with a small smile.
10:54 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
Style: Gotham
07-02-2015, 10:54 PM
[In-Character] [Post #27]
Scott softly cursed when he heard Ben tell them that he wasn’t affected by the dampeners but rather by a serum they had shot him up with. Well didn’t that just suck? He had been certain that with their combined powers they could have gotten through one of those walls and make their escape. “Probably longer than we have time.” He muttered in reply to Ben. He let out a sigh, this would have been too easy in any case.

Well that had been the plan from the start, wasn’t it? He kept his mouth shut though. No need for more snark and he was growing weary. This was taking too long already. So when Ben asked where the dampeners were, he started to frown. Because, hell, he had no idea.

So when Madelyne offered up their location, his brows lifted up in surprise. How the hell did she know that? He wanted to ask as much but she already told her story and he started to shake his head. He should’ve known how those things worked. He had been here a long time but hadn’t he basically given up? Just sit in his cell and let them do whatever they wanted? After losing Emma, things didn’t matter as much to him anymore. And then Alex…

He was one sorry ass guy, pathetic. Giving up like that. He still had family out there, family who needed him. So it was time to get out. Time to fight and get his freedom back. Enough sulking around and letting them do whatever they wanted.

“So we need to go into the vents?” He looked up as well and frowned. No way in hell was he going to fit in there. “Or should we just smash and grab and break things?” He rubbed his chin and studied the dark lines that were now obvious for him to see. “Let’s see what happens then…” Having made up his mind he looked at his companions. “We need something to break open those vents. We only need to get one grid offline for my ability to kick in. I can take care of the rest after that.”
12:51 AM
Scourge
Death is the debt all pay

Contributor
Name: Lia (F)
07-03-2015, 12:51 AM
[In-Character] [Post #28]
Vents, damn things had to be in the air vents. Ben let out a loud sigh wishing he was back in his rock form where air vents weren't too far out of his current reach. He let out a bitter laugh thinking thoughts about his rock form, used to be he'd give anything to be squishy and pink. Life was funny, when you had something, well, you didn't want it, but when it was taken from you, suddenly you would do whatever it took to get it back. That was the problem, Ben hadn't given up his powers they'd been stripped from him because he didn't want to play nice. Well, just cause he couldn't clobber things as easily didn't mean he wasn't useful now.

"If we're looking for speed smashing is the way to go." Ben looked around and found a box that contained a fire extinguisher. Leave it to building codes to provide Ben with a tool to break into the vents. Running over to the extinguisher he pulled off the door and pulled the red container out. Although he didn't have his superhuman strength, Ben was still pretty fit and pretty strong. Being looked up actually made him become stronger since he couldn't do much in his cell other than exercise, "And speed is what we want right?"

Without waiting for an answer Ben began to swing the fire extinguisher round and round by the hose. He had seen where the redhead's eyes had been drawn, the strange lines on the ceiling, that was his target. When the momentum reached a speed Ben felt happy with he launched the extinguisher up. The heavy metal cylinder broke through the metal of the air vents easily. There was a sound of something electrical popping and sparks soon fell from above. Looking at the other two mutants Ben asked, "Ok. So did that work?"
07-03-2015
06:29 AM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Fred (F)
07-03-2015, 06:29 AM
[In-Character] [Post #29]
If she took the time to notice the sky, she would have appreciated the sight, she knew se would have, Jupiter was ascending and would be joined by Mercury later in the week. As much as she appreciated the heavens and all that glittered within them, her focus was instead bound to the humming whir of metal and computer programming, machines she had at one time been very familiar with. In the last three years, however, they had become crueler.

Shifting around her oak perch, he wasn’t surprised to find three sentinels near the gate she had tampered with. But there were never only three, humans were too balanced. There had to be at least a fourth somewhere on the premises. Or if luck bit her on the ass, there were maybe three somewhere. That sounded fantastic.

At least the sparkler show kept three of the occupied for the time being. That would allow her in through one of the other gates, likely undetected, by metal and clockwork at least.

Reaching for a grip, she worked her way back down the length of tree she had risen through and made a dash as quietly as she could through the botanical overgrowth until an overwhelming compilation of excitement and sorrow slammed right into her. The concoction of warring emotions tangle through her psyche like a fast spinning spider web forcing her to pause and turn over her shoulder. There was an invisible line, somewhat like fishing wire bound around a lure that bobbed and tugged when she stepped seemingly away from the place of origin.

Turning on her toes, she aligned herself with what she assumed was the center of the pull and moved with a determined step in the exact direction. The sensation was familiar, but she wanted it not to be. Because if she could identify her ‘attacker’ she wasn’t going to be happy with their presence. She was here for a reason and had planned this out for weeks already, she was not keen on having this attempt thwarted by a ragtag group of mutants intent on scaling fences and tripping triggers, regardless of how ‘serious’ they came off.

The moment red fluttered through green lime grass blades, her lower jaw tightened against its upper mate. “Is there something I can help you with?” She inquired as she continued towards the redhead. “Because I’m not here to toast marshmallows.” She nodded towards the small palmed fire. “And that is going to inevitably draw their attention towards you.” Because sentinels weren’t looking for her, they were looking for mutants. “Where’s the dumb oaf that follows you around like a puppy?” Elise sighed when she reminded herself of where she was. “Please tell me he’s not trying to scale the building for some elaborate jailbreak.” She didn’t have time for two Summers brothers.