Midnight Shadows

Midnight Shadows   \   Distraction & Recreation   \   The Moonlight   \   Living like an RP'er

Cerulean
Celestial
Stripey Socks
Contributor
Name: Richts (F)
Style: Tyrant
Living like an RP'er
Hey there everybody,

I haven't been actively posting for a while now and started wondering about how this actually works. And how things work with other people. What I'm talking about? The RP way of living.

A bunch of you go to school, having homework every day, a bunch of you work every day, but have lots of home chores to do every day. Does RP'ing feel like a chore to you? Or maybe just sometimes? I hear people say they have around 53 posts to do, while I would in that case just quit everything and say "hey, this is too much for me." But then, I tried having only one character, but that doesn't seem to feed my creativity at all.

Where is the balance for you? Posting because you feel you have to, posting because you want to? How much does posting feel like a chore? Or maybe it doesn't feel like a chore at all?

Enlighten me!

02-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Black Widow
Scourge
Teen Idle
Contributor
Name: Carly (F)
I'm one of those people who has about 50+ posts on her TDL but I like that I have so many characters, it gives me variety and no matter what mood I'm in I can always find someone to post. I do this because it's fun. After a horrible shift at work it's nice to come home and just lose myself in a fake world for a while. When posting starts to become a chore that's when I have to take a step back and take a break.

If posting a character feels like a chore then I won't post that character, I'll post a char that I do have inspiration for. If a character continuously is a struggle for me to post then I'll probably end up retiring that char because this is meant to be fun, there's no point doing it if it feels like work. I don't think I could ever have just one character

02-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Ganymede
Magi
two souls in a ghost town
Contributor
Name: Nicholas (M)
I look at it as a good distraction from busy/mundane days. When it comes down to it, these are games and shouldn't stress you out. I agree that when it starts to feel like a chore, it's time for a break... For me, the goal is to have fun and let my imagination run wild.

Every once in a while, I post because I feel like I have to, but I avoid that because that's when it feels more like a chore than having fun. I think for the most part, people will understand if a thread slows down because you're lacking inspiration or if there's a lull in posting due to RL stuff. But it's up to the players involved to talk to each other and decide what's the next course of action to revive a thread and make it fun and entertaining again.

I think having one character to focus on can be uninspirational, too. TBH, when I rejoined EC, I was thinking of just focusing on a couple of characters there, but I'm glad I branched out and created some more for similar reasons that Carly mentioned.

I'm still trying to find the balance myself, too and would be interested to hear more thoughts about juggling work, a relationship and finding time to write.

money, power & glory
I wanna take you for all that you got

02-05-2013, 01:42 AM
Callista
Love all, trust a few.
Name: Daphne (F)
Well, with me it's more writing because I need to. Characters demanding it, you know? They're constantly adding little pieces of history to themselves, if I don't write then I have no excuse for being a serious case of crazypants

But yea, I think finding a balance is difficult for everyone. Now, in Taiwan, my rhythm's so completely different from the Netherlands that I actually have to sit down and make myself write before I actually do so in most threads.

02-05-2013, 02:57 AM