Midnight Shadows

Midnight Shadows   \   Distraction & Recreation   \   The Moonlight   \   Actor Images

Serenity
Renegade
Swan Song
Contributor
Name: Cornelia (F)
Style: Tyrant
Actor Images
AIs are a big part of a character - it is, after all, their portrayal and how they're seen by everyone else. So I'm curious about your process of choosing AIs. How do you come to this decision?

For me, it has been either one of two things; sometimes I get an idea about the character first, then I look for the AI that fits them, or sometimes I just really want to use an AI so I build a character around them. And sometimes crackship and pairing ideas factor into character creations as well. Have any of these things happened to you, or are you the type who exclusively creates a character background first before deciding on an AI?

Another thing I'm curious about; have you ever felt a certain possessiveness toward certain AIs? I know I'm guilty of that sometimes, and while I obviously don't yell at other people for using them, I can't help but think that they're "mine", either because I use them a lot or because I have a character with that AI that has been around for a long time. Some of these AIs are/were: Jennifer Garner, Katie McGrath, Bridget Regan, Lyndsy Fonseca and, to some extent, Nina Dobrev. What about you?
Losing him was blue like I’d never known
Missing him was dark grey all alone
Forgetting him was like trying to know somebody you've never met
But loving him was red

06-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Sister Grimm
Magi
of the dark order
Contributor
Name: Faye (F)
Style: Tyrant
Most of the time, picking an AI is such a chore for me. I think it's mostly because I see my characters as comic book characters and it gets really hard to try and find an actual person that fits that mold for me. I think the only character which I can safely say I cannot imagine any other AI is for Cassandra, but I think the most part goes to building the character around the AI.

Hilary Duff for Kierra was another bonus. I actually wasn't expecting her to just fit like that.

Take my advice. When the world goes crazy, you run... You runaway. - Nico Minoru, Runaways.

06-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Black Widow
Scourge
Teen Idle
Contributor
Name: Carly (F)
I'm one of those people that pick the AI first and then everything else forms around that. Sometimes I pick an AI because I really want to use them, other times its for crackship purposes. I tend to have the AI in mind and then try and work out their personality from how I picture them in my head. Occasionally I'll have an idea of the type of character I want and then try and find an AI that fits that idea but mostly I work the other way around.

I do get possessive of AI's, I'd never yell at someone for using one of the AI's that I consider mine but I'll just feel funny about it. I'm mainly like that with Ali Larter, Shantel and Kat and the One Direction boys although I don't use them on this board. I also find that I get possessive on behalf of other people too. I associate certain AI's with people and then if someone else uses them I get outraged on their behalf.

06-27-2012, 11:56 AM
Immortal
Magi
Weak Fantasy
Contributor
Name: Todd (M)
This thread makes so much sense to me. There was a time when I was fickle so changing my AI came to me easily and it was just sort of based on the fact that I could only have one character. When that changed and I could build all new characters with different faces, things mellowed out a bit but I also became a bit possessive over faces. I think it's also why I try to stick with characters. Leaving and having someone claim an AI from you is just plain weird. I don't mean to say that it's offensive (in some cases it is) but it's just... strange to have to find a new face for one of your characters when you have a set image in your mind for them.

And I am far too possessive over Ben Barnes for it to be reasonable. I'm also a bit possessive over James Maslow, Francisco Lachowski, and Chris Fawcett (even though I haven't used him here)... however, I try to be fair about it.
Fear is a choice you embrace.

06-28-2012, 05:28 AM
The Carer
Magi
Unforgivable Sinner
Name: Liz (F)
Picking AI's is a huge deal for me. It's a face that represents the character, a face I have to envision doing things and generally live with it. At times, my head starts to develop small outlines for a character but only once I've picked a face can I decide on a name, their personality and everything else. I've often heard that names fit people and through my characters, found this to be very true. Other times, I have a character well mapped out but it takes me ages to find a perfect face to fit. Usually, the process of creating is a lot longer if I got this way because with too many factors, my options become limited. And when I changes faces, and I have on a few oldies (sometimes several times even through the years but such a thing has become normal to them later, as long as they keep traits like hair, eyes and some other things to match the original AI or the character's parents).

Do I get jealous? It depends very much. There are AI's I've used for the same character for years and even if I considered changing the face at one point, that change will last a week or even less because the character and the AI are too integrated. When that happens, yes, I'm very possessive. For example, I've been using Scarlett Johansson for my star wars character on another board since 2006. I've used her in different styles, different hair colors for different clones of the same character and when I see someone else using the face, it first makes me think of my girl. Now, while I live with it when it's a different board where I don't play the particular character but when it's a board my girl has been well established, it makes me cringe. (I'm jealous by nature, it's really normal).

There are expedition though. I discovered Odette Annable a few years back while creating a character and six month into it, a close friend joined a different board that sort of lives in the same universe as the one where I use Odette (but different timeline) and asked me if she could use the same face, with a different hair, eyes and even a scar. I was fine that. I guess it's still the form of possessiveness but I'm glad I was asked when it's someone I was so close and have roleplayed a lot.

Others I'm posessive of? Sarah Michelle Gellar, Isla Fisher, Emilie de Ravin, Shiri Appleby, Katie McGrath, Marguerite Moreau, Mia Kirshner, Nina Dobrev, Rachel McAdams, Sophia Marceau. Most of the irkness comes form sites where there are no AI claims and people use them at their own will. When I join a board, I look around first to make sure the face I want isn't taken, even if I could re-use the particular celebrity. If it's already been taken and I'm not established, that's okay, those people came first, I didn't. On some of the boards I'm on, I get referred to as the face person as I often help people find their face. If I'm doing that, I tend to avoid suggesting my girls even if I don't use them unless it's someone I really really care about but even then, it's slightly difficult.

One especial face falls on the list for a slightly different reason. Gerard Butler. I love the man, he's gorgeous, I mostly like to hook my character with whoever's using him 'cos of how much I love him. Makes the fan girl in me slightly sad when he's been claimed by another female. I've used him myself once but since I don't venture into male characters as much as I do with females, that kind of possessiveness never developed with me.

Wow... that was long. I really do focus on AI's a lot, lol.

10-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Monument
Bloodshadow
Do It Again
Contributor
Name: Phillip (M)
Style: Phoenix
I understand completely, because before Vampire Diaries I used Ian Somerhalder for everything. Way before VD. And now he's super popular on here because of VD. Ugh! Lol. I've been gone 2 years and I knew when I returned he'd be gone. And for sure, someone took him. I am devastated. IAN SOMERHALDER will forever be mine!
Make a space, for my body. Dig a hole. Push the sides apart.
This is what, I'm controlling. It's a moat, the inside that I carve.

Make a cast, of my body. Pull back out. So that I can see.
Let go of, how you knew me. Let go of, what I used to be.

10-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Imzadi
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
Style: Sovereign
There used to be a time when picking an actor for a character was odd. I'd always make the char first, try fit the image to it later. That's a very long time ago though. These days, I usually have an idea in mind and then look for an actor or actress who fits that idea. Idea might be saying a bit much - it's really mostly a hunch or me thinking 'ok I'd love to play someone more 'perky/sad/happy/whathaveyou'.

Furthermore, I tend to turn my obsessions into chars (or have char AI's turn into obsession - thinking of Sam Worthington here). So yeah, there's Gerry Butler, Sam Worthington, Tom Hiddleston. There used to be Jensen Ackles. Timothy Olyphant, Justin Hartley, and there used to be Dave Grohl. There is a bit of a pattern in these choices

bury my heart next to yours

10-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Ganymede
Magi
two souls in a ghost town
Contributor
Name: Nicholas (M)
I tend to think of picking AI's as casting. So I'm watching a movie or a TV show and think, "This actor would be perfect to play a character that's about this and this!"

Originally Posted by Hush View Post

This thread makes so much sense to me. There was a time when I was fickle so changing my AI came to me easily and it was just sort of based on the fact that I could only have one character. When that changed and I could build all new characters with different faces, things mellowed out a bit but I also became a bit possessive over faces. I think it's also why I try to stick with characters. Leaving and having someone claim an AI from you is just plain weird. I don't mean to say that it's offensive (in some cases it is) but it's just... strange to have to find a new face for one of your characters when you have a set image in your mind for them.

And I am far too possessive over Ben Barnes for it to be reasonable. I'm also a bit possessive over James Maslow, Francisco Lachowski, and Chris Fawcett (even though I haven't used him here)... however, I try to be fair about it.
lol Todd, I agree that it's a little weird to go on hiatus and come back to see someone using an AI that you used to use! But I don't think it's offensive; it's fair game, and in a way, it's cool to see that AI "work" again. I like what you came up with for Marcus.

money, power & glory
I wanna take you for all that you got

11-16-2012, 02:52 AM
Dreamscape
hostage to the light
Contributor
Name: Amy (F)
Style: Avengers
*discreetly revives thread that's been dead for over half a year*

I don't know, I'm a mix of two things: Either it's a AI that I'm dying to use/a pairing that would be freaking awesome to do, or a character idea first, then I pick someone who would fit it. Lately it's been more of the first one, but I'll take Jess for example. That character and back story was always there, but when I was listening to some Epica, I thought "Hm, she'll work."

Lately, and this is more the case on House of Madness, I've been dying to do pairings of certain people, or I have a personality in mind that reflects a certain AI. Like, I just now got a Gillian Jacobs/Joel Mchale plot, which I have been DYING to do for years. It also varies on the game, and who I'm plotting with. With the WWD, I tend to go with plot first. It just varies.
fear is a choice you embrace

06-28-2013, 01:52 AM
Devious
Fallen Angel
Name: Dylan (M)
It's on a very very very rare occasion that I see a particular actor that I would use for an AI.

99.9% of the time I come up with a base idea of a character - are they going to be predominantly good or predominantly bad? And from there I pick an AI that will suit. Always easy to find pictures of actors looking all broody, so it's not surprising that many of my rpg characters in the past have been on the 'badder' side of the spectrum.

And I've just realized that for some reason they're always dark-haired, never blonde...

11-15-2013, 12:48 AM