Midnight Shadows

Midnight Shadows   \   Distraction & Recreation   \   The Moonlight   \   Growing old gracefully

Caelus
Renegade
Pity the Child
Contributor
Name: Ecks (M)
Style: Tyrant
Growing old gracefully
I was thinking about this at the most inappropriate time the other day, but that's besides the point

Since activating your character(s) have you aged them? I've glanced over several FGB characters and none of them have seemed to age since the day they were created. Additions to biographies or diaries tend to show the passage of time in the character's life, and even birthdays are celebrated, but that character never seems to age. Is it a conscious decision to not age, or do you never think about it or even forget?

If you age your character, how do you do so? Is it an outside influence that ages your character, or do you actually age them in real time? If so, why do you do this, when the norm seems to be characters that are frozen at a particular age.

01-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Sobriquet
Celestial
playing for free
Contributor
Name: Tom (M)
For me, I sort of subconsciously age them if that makes sense? Like, I know that they're two or three years older than they were when they were first created but I probably haven't updated their bios. I remember realising that Elijah's bio said that he was 23 for about two and a half years until I updated it.

expensive lies, but you're playing for free

01-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Acquiescence
Celestial
class
Contributor
Name: Bonnie (F)
It depends on the character. If characters are immortal and look younger than they are, then there's no need to age them, obviously All my other characters however, I do age, and I tend to also update their biographies.

As for how I age them, I usually pick a random date (or the day they were first created) in real time and age them that way.

For me it keeps a sense of realism to the characters, because they're not immortal and they do age. Time does pass, and it's easier for me to keep track of it when this is the same as real time. I guess I assume other characters who aren't immortal age as well, even if their biographies stay stuck on a certain age

01-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Callista
Love all, trust a few.
Name: Daphne (F)
I agree with Bonnie on this point, I think aging is important to characters (unless they're immortal).

My one character ages, and every year on the day I created her she ages by a year, something I do edit in her bio (she was 23, she's now 25), and I'll write something in her diary or a quick scene with her contemplating her age. My other immortal character does age (next year she'll be 70), but she keeps herself 18, constantly editing records about herself and getting new passports. So it's something I definitely do consider, and enjoy making a part of my characters, as I think the passing of years makes their changes in personality even more significant.

01-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Immortal
Magi
Weak Fantasy
Contributor
Name: Todd (M)
I age all of my characters. That's why Adam is now 34 (even if he isn't active). Though, this is chronological age in his case, not physical age. I age them in real time, and it's usually workable.

I think it's pretty important to age characters, though. Otherwise it's likely that they fall into the trappings of being forever a single age and I think every age difference comes with it's own developmental stages. Even now at 21, I feel like 20 was so very different, so I try to find that balance within my characters by aging them in real time.
Fear is a choice you embrace.

01-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Black Widow
Scourge
Teen Idle
Contributor
Name: Carly (F)
I age my characters in real time, but I often forget to update the bio. Sophie had a birthday and is now 24 and it was something that was mentioned on her facebook but I think I still need to update in her bio. Some characters I didn't bother about ageing up. Willow never needed to be aged as she was immortal.

01-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Caelus
Renegade
Pity the Child
Contributor
Name: Ecks (M)
That's all very interesting. I think of all my characters, Sky is the only one that I consciously think about aging. I think that's because his age is all twisted anyway with two of him existing at the same time. Physically he's seventeen, although he's been that age for two years so is 19 even if he doesn't resemble it.

02-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Immortal
Magi
Weak Fantasy
Contributor
Name: Todd (M)
As someone who has read a great deal of Sky, I can honestly say that he would be a hard character to age properly, simply because his chronology is completely whacked and his mental state would never reflect a physical age. I was actually looking at photos of Mitch Hewer that came out recently and he's aged a bit... and I could not picture him properly as Sky. He simply looked too old.
Fear is a choice you embrace.

02-05-2012, 12:49 AM