Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [NYC] Sotheby's NYC Auction House.

09-21-2019
11:24 AM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
09-21-2019, 11:24 AM
[In-Character] [Post #51]
He would be right down. His voice had travelled through the door’s intercom, and it had riled her up even more. The asshole had used her, she had opened up to him, and what did he do? He used the information to his own advantage, and now she had a ransacked apartment and a breached safe house to show for it. Rage boiled underneath her skin; she was so angry. With him, with herself for trusting him.

At least you had some good sex out of it… That made her want to snarl at herself even more. Standing there in front of his door, she felt her hands clench tightly into fists, and she had no idea what she was going to do, much less say when he would open up the door.

For a moment she doubted her sanity for even coming here, but when that door did open, and he was leaning against the doorframe, that doubt evaporated, and she actually did the one thing she had not expected to do.

She clocked him one in the jaw, making him stumble back inside of the house. “Where is he?” She snarled at him, the pain in her hand only mildly registering so angry was she. Rachel stalked inside, slammed the door behind her but didn’t advance further, knowing that if she did, she would hit him again.

“You fucking used me!” Her voice rose. “I told you what they did to my family, to me, why I needed Peters…” Her chest ached, all the scars of the wounds she had suffered turning into pinpricks all across her body. “And you went ahead and fucked me over.” Her eyes were blazing, she was so angry. “You wrecked my apartment, snatched Peters and I know you were all behind it.”

God, she wanted to scream, wanted to hit him again. “And all because your precious business contacts are more important than the lives of all the people they killed.” She was shaking, her body vibrating from all the fury that needed to come out.

“They murdered my husband, left me for dead…” Why hadn’t she died along with them? The unspoken question burned on her tongue.
12:50 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
even if it hurts
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
09-21-2019, 12:50 PM
[In-Character] [Post #52]
Now there was a lot Calder had expected to happen upon opening the door. That he would have a fist meet the left side of his jaw and thus sending him staggering backwards was not one of them. While he had certainly been slapped before, women generally used an open hand, dealing impact with the palm rather than knuckles. Calder caught himself, pushed his hand against his jaw, rubbing the spot and stood doubled over slightly. He gazed up at Rachel.

She was pushing into his house, her gaze darting around and Calder would not have put it past her in this moment to pull her gun and do a thorough search of his house. He certainly hoped that Paula had left already, otherwise the woman would probably be scared out of her wits. “Impressive punch,” he murmured as he continued to rub his jaw.

He leaned against the large brown and white guard rail in the extensive but sparsely furnished foyer. “Where is who?” he prompted her. It took a bit more than a punch to the face for him to show his hand. She stayed just beyond the entrance of his house, the door slammed shut behind her. Calder contemplated that she carried a gun. He suddenly did not feel quite so secure in his own house.

When Rachel spoke, she was obviously still furious. It was quite easy to surmise given she was basically shouting at him. “I did what?” he threw back. “I did no such thing.” There may have been some non-specific contact with a few people but in the end, what they did was their business. He breathed in deeply. Of course, he could deny involvement until the cows came home - but that did not change that he knew that he had sucker punched her. Her bringing up her family did hit a spot that was a little too close to home. If he were in her footsteps, Calder knew he would be livid. He would probably Tyr-out, and then go head-hunting. In the literal sense.

A deep voice somewhere in the back of his mind chuckled at the image.

Calder focused on the scene in front of him. He breathed in, waited, let Rachel speak her piece. It had to come out, he could tell. Her hands were shaking, no matter how well she was obscuring the fact. Eventually, she finished and he stood tall. Letting go of his jaw, Calder crossed his arms in front of his chest.

“You’re right,” he said, but raised a hand in order for her to let him finish. “He needs to pay for that - and he will. You will have me, my connections, the things I can do at your disposal to do just that. But right now, you’re running around headless. You’re furious, lieu… Rachel. You’re not thinking clearly.”

He let that sit for just a moment before continuing. “I did not burglarise your apartment.” I actually cloned your phone at the safe house that night. I have all your contacts, everything. The guys wouldn’t have needed to go to your apartment. Calder knew better than to say this. “I will tell you though, that I’m not disappointed about the Manhattan Chapter leader being back out there again. Because I am looking at his boss. And that guy’s boss. And I know the channels through which Peters communicates … so next time he orders a hit on a damned wedding, I can be there to stop it…”

bury my heart next to yours
09-21-2019
04:19 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
09-21-2019, 04:19 PM
[In-Character] [Post #53]
It didn’t matter how much he denied having knowledge of this, she knew that he was behind it. Lucas had warned her, had told her that this man was lying about something. How could she have been so blind and not see it? They were all the same, it’s why she preferred to do things on her own when it came to her ‘private’ investigations. It’s why she hadn’t told Castle about the whole Peters thing.

He would tell her she was being reckless, stupid even for doing this by herself. But she didn’t want his help, didn’t need it.

She was still seething with anger, but for the moment she didn’t know how to voice it, especially when he told her she was right. She had watched him righting himself, his hand leaving his jaw and she felt a pang of guilt for hitting him. There he stood, arms in front of his chest, telling her that she was right.

Opening her mouth to ask him why he had done it then, she snapped it closed when he raised his hand.

Now it was her turn to cross her arms in front of her chest, her hand hurt from hitting him, the pain finally registering but she was loath to let him see that. She ignored the pain for now, she was good at that. And then he had to go and offer his connections, offer himself even, to her.

Was he fucking serious? She had accused him of ruining her plans, destroying her apartment and this was his solution? Offer her help? And maybe she wasn’t thinking clearly, but she was certain about one thing. She did not want his help. Taking his help would be dangerous on so many levels. She wished she had Lucas with her, apparently, he had a knack for telling when someone was lying.

Because simply put, she didn’t believe that Calder had nothing to do with her apartment being broken in to. He might not have done it himself, since he was with her, but he was in the know. She just needed to find proof.

“I don’t need your connections.” She finally told him after he finished talking, telling her that he wasn’t sad about Peters being back out on the street. Trying to get a hold on her rage, she took in a deep breath. “I caught him on my own the first time and will do so again a second time.” Because she really didn’t give a rat’s ass about the higher ups. In time they would crumble as well.

It was better that she left right now before she did something she would regret. Turning her hand was on the doorknob when she halted. “I know you’re behind this, you can deny it all you want, but I will find the evidence.” She opened up the door, felt the cold air of the night press against her and she took in a shuddering breath.

“And Calder… there won’t be a next time for Peters.” She told him, because if she caught that man again, he would die. She opened the door further and stepped through it. She needed to leave, needed to get home, sleep, go to work, and then the hunt would be on.
11:31 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
even if it hurts
Administrator
Contributor
09-22-2019, 11:31 AM
[In-Character] [Post #54]
Calder could tell rather quickly, that none of this encounter was going well. And that did not have anything to do with it being unexpected. Rachel was livid, and she did not really accept his tales that were meant to derail her. If anything, they were making her angrier than she had already been.

She rejected his offer, reminding him that she could catch him a second time after having done it once already. Calder exhaled, barely stopping himself from rolling his eyes.

Then she went on to tell it to him straight. So she suspected he was the one who had instigated what had happened. Calder knew better than to react in any way. He just kept his arms crossed in front of his chest. “Be my guest,” he simply said. “My offer stands.” But Rachel was already in the process of opening the door to leave his house again. Calder knew there was little, possibly nothing, he could do to stop her. Somehow this woman had gotten it into her mind to put her own vendetta, her own need to vengeance above that of justice for everyone else this group of purifiers had hurt.

“You’re being very selfish… and reckless,” Calder said by way of farewell. But he doubted she would hear him.

Then she was gone.

An expletive escaped his lips and he spun around, heading back upstairs. This time his destination was his office. He fired up his computer, starting the VPN before accessing a remote server. He pulled up contact details, then ran an app from that server. He punched in the digits and then hit ‘connect’. Eventually, the line went through and a man answered on the other side.

“We have a problem.”
“The police woman.”
“That’s your problem, not mine.”
“In this case, .. she’s coming for him. So that’s your problem, too.”
“Do you want to stop her?”
“If you can.”
“Oh I surely can. I don’t know whether you’ll like blood on your hands.”
“No!” Calder set his hands down on his desk, stepping closer to the screen at this. “She doesn’t die.”
“Then this is tricky.”
“I know.”
“So her life takes priority.”

Calder cursed under his breath. He knew what this meant. There was a chance that they could lose Peters. But no matter the fact that Rachel Cole-Alves was a pain in his behind, or that she had just come into his house and punched him … he did not want her to die.

Baldur’s words still reverberated in his mind.

I think she’s one of us…

09-22-2019
03:33 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
09-22-2019, 03:33 PM
[In-Character] [Post #55]
Rachel had barely made it home before she had another breakdown, all the pain she had been feeling from that horrible day, had come rushing back at her. The memories of waking up in that hospital all alone, the memories she had of the attack… She had been a mess, and when she called in to take a few days off, nobody questioned it because they all thought she took one to clean up her apartment.

She had done that and had of course started her search for Peters. Since she had a pretty good idea who had taken him, she now had a starting point.

Offering her his services… She was still huffing over that. Sitting in her office with a new laptop, connected to her mirror network, one that was a copy of her original one, the one that had been breached, the one she couldn’t use anymore. It had made her wonder about a few other things… like the burner phone she had been using.

She didn’t trust the thing anymore, and got herself a new phone, just in case. Leaning back in her chair, she started to transmit towards the bigger screen on her wall and frowned.

The security footage hadn’t given her much, she couldn’t identify anyone except for Peters, but she had managed to track them through traffic cams until she lost them. Which had made her growl in frustration. Nothing could disappear just like that. Nothing.

Unless they had help from special people.

Which she wouldn’t put past him to acquire. Cursing softly under her breath she had gone through the footage with a fine toothcomb, while letting her recognition software run in the background. Hoping that Peters would be stupid enough to show his face out on the street at some point.

And he would, he wasn’t one to sit still in a house. He needed to be involved.

Asshole.

It had taken her three days, and then she had received a tip from one of her CI’s out on the street that something big was being planned in a warehouse downtown. She checked into it and was pleasantly surprised to find that the Purifiers from Manhattan had planned an assembly, and Peters would be there to hold a speech.

The whole thing probably was to praise the return of their glorious leader.

They would get the surprise of their lives when they would find him dead.

You’re being very selfish… and reckless. Calder’s words flashed through her mind, and she gritted her teeth together. She hadn’t been far enough away from the house to not hear them, but she had been to livid to respond. Why she was bothered by them, she had no idea. She hadn’t been before…

In any case, tomorrow, she would have one worry left in the world.

It took her all day to prepare for the assembly, she had scouted the place that would be used for it, devised a plan and when night fell, she had put herself into position.

Peters would arrive through a back door, and Rachel was lying in a wait to put a bullet through his head. Quick and clean, one shot through the head, and she would be home within the hour.
02:17 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
even if it hurts
Administrator
Contributor
09-23-2019, 02:17 PM
[In-Character] [Post #56]
The days passed, time ticking by and nothing happened. Calder felt himself starting to grow impatient. Rachel was up to something. The means put into place to keep tabs on her had indicated as much. One very big pointer was the fact that she was cutting back on working hours. And instead of following up on the data she did have – which would have led to Rachel knocking on his door again – she had to be busy with something else.

What Calder found equally worrying was the prospect of basically looking after Peters. Calder did not like the man. Truth be told, he couldn’t stand the fellow. Peters was a sociopath, and a trigger happy one at that. Still, the guy was not incapable of looking at the wider angle of things – and this made him dangerous. That Rachel wanted him dead, Calder could understand perfectly. Given who he was, he would have gladly risen to be her champion, put the bullet into Peters for her. Yet, of course Calder knew that she would not want that. She wanted to do it herself. She probably needed to do it.

Of course she would be selfish, reckless. How could she not be? The man had taken everything from her and thus he had created a woman with nothing to lose.

Also a rather dangerous breed.

He rubbed his face, staring at the security feed he was tapping into. A darned chapter meeting. Now. So other than a sociopath with limited ability to see the bigger picture, Peters was also an idot. Four days he had been broken out of a safe house’s basement, he was toting around on a darned stage. Why lay low when you could have all the spotlights on you?

Calder leaned back, once more cycling through the various security feeds he had access to. One brought him to Rachel’s house – pressing his lips into a thin line, he watched her leave. His phone rang.

“Baldur,” he greeted the other man.
“She’s on the move,” his brother answered without preamble.
“I know. We bugged the car.”
“Want me to go after her?”
“No, I think I know where she’s going.”

Baldur rang off and Calder put his phone back into his jeans’ pocket. Then he stood, straightening out the shirt he was wearing. He pulled his jacket off his chair and snatched the Macan keys from the table. Heading downstairs, he exchanged those for the key fob of the dark blue 2019 Chevy Impala he owned.

Out the door eventually, Calder jumped behind the wheel and pulled away from the curb. He cut his way into the flow of traffic and then headed for the warehouse district where the shepherd Peters often saw himself as had today invited all his sheep to.

When he was drawing closer, still only about five minutes out, Calder’s phone rang.
“Why did we not receive note that you’re sending someone?” a gruff male voice asked him.
Calder sighed. “I didn’t send someone.”
“There’s a woman. Good thing half of these dimwits don’t know their ass from their dicks so they don’t know she’s a posing danger … but if she’s found they’re going to rip her to shreds.” The man’s tone was matter-of-fact. Another individual out for some revenge. Much like Rachel, he did not care to share the opportunity. Calder wondered whether this was really a warning about being one of the people to rip Rachel from limb to limb.

Once more Rachel was forcing his hand. Calder couldn’t help the annoyance that was growing inside of him. On top of that, Calder would now have to step out and feign sympathy for Peters. Appearing anywhere in tow with a man like this could seriously hurt other business connections.

He pulled his car up to the wall of the warehouse. Getting out of the car, one of the fellows standing watch drew closer. The man stopped, nodded when he recognised Calder and waved him inside. Calder took a deep breath. Was it a good thing that Peters had apparently briefed his troops? Calder wasn’t sure how he felt about it.

Following the other man, he stepped inside finding the warehouse converted to a town hall. There was a stage. Even a number of chairs. Calder pushed his hands into the pockets of his jacket, sauntering up to the stage. Attendees were beginning to flood into the open doors. Night was falling outside. Someone put on music somewhere.

“Calder,” a deep voice sounded out, and he turned around.

Peters stood on the stage, dressed in jeans and a white dress shirt. He looked conspicuously normal. Calder knew better. Little about this man was normal.

“Kingston.”
“What brings you here? Is there a problem?”
“No,” he threw back, shaking his head once. Calder knew that his appearance here was not exactly good in terms of staying off of Peters’s radar. But he could not just sit home while Rachel was probably getting herself into dire problems.

Calder let his gaze sweep. Anything out of the ordinary? He wasn’t seeing it. Wherever Rachel was hiding, she was hiding well. He huffed out a breath, then turned back to Kingston. “So, when’s this thing starting?” He checked his watch as if he had some place else to be.

09-23-2019
05:36 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
09-23-2019, 05:36 PM
[In-Character] [Post #57]
She was completely dressed in black, her red hair tucked away under a black beanie and her face covered in black smudges to hide herself in the rafters. She had found the perfect the spot, high up, where nobody could see her. She had been there for a while, setting up shop and waiting for those idiots to show up.

Rachel just wondered when Calder would show up, she knew he had her car bugged, had found the device two days earlier and had decided to leave it there.

At that point she really didn’t care if he knew where she was headed, and when she had made her plans to take Kingston Peters out, she wanted him to know. After all, she could just have snuck out, but she had made a promise in a round a bout way and wanted Calder to be witness.

The room was starting to fill up, music was played, and Peters stepped onto the podium. She had him in sights through her scope and tracked him all over the stage as he was setting things up for his little speech later. Idiot had made it very easy for her with his white dress shirt. He then halted and she could see his mouth move, he was talking to someone. Adjusting slightly, she found the person and a smile tugged at her lips.

Calder Musgrave. He came.

She had expected someone in his employment to be here, but not the man himself. Although, he had made it perfectly clear that he had an invested interest in Peters.

Careless and selfish. She heard the words whispering through her when he looked straight at her but didn’t spot her.

Gritting her teeth, she moved her sight back to Peters, who was now greeting other people, shaking hands. She had to go through that for another fifteen minutes, the hall filled itself completely up, could hear the people talk beneath her and then Peters tapped on the microphone to get everybody’s attention.

Showtime.

“Friends!” Peters called out. “It is an honour to stand here before you.” The crowd cheered, clapping and whistling. “Not long ago, our future got threatened. But I’m here to assure you that the threat has been neutralised!” More cheering, and Rachel rolled her eyes at the lying bastard. He went on with his speech, and people kept on cheering.

Taking in a deep breath, she held it, took aim, her finger slid towards the trigger.

“Tonight, I’m going to reveal …” And then Peters stopped talking, a hole appeared in his forehead and the back of his head exploded as the bullet went through.

“This is for you Daniel.” Rachel whispered, watching Peters crumbling to the ground.
07:38 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
even if it hurts
Administrator
Contributor
09-26-2019, 07:38 PM
[In-Character] [Post #58]
Calder had known it would happen. Somehow, soon. That he had not spotted Rachel had not meant that she was not here. Oh she was. He could almost taste the tingling on the tip of his tongue. She was here, and she had probably looked at Calder down the barrel of a damned sniper rifle. Leave it to the woman to be hidden away so well that even he couldn’t find her.

Peters had not come very far in his speech before a deep red circle with very ugly edges had appeared on his forehead. For a moment, everything had been bathed in dumbfounded silence. The audience had stared in breathless anticipation while Peters’ team had looked at the still-warm corpse with utter disbelief.

“Ah shit,” Calder had uttered before ducking his head and seeking the path down the side of the stage. Then somebody had shouted at the top of their lungs.

“NOBODY MOVE!”

Somewhere else a high-pitched voice, a woman’s, had begun the scream of terror. A disharmonious chorus had begun. He’s dead. Oh god, he’s dead. Did someone shoot him? Did you see? Right between the eyes. Calder could pick it up, right along with the wave of terror and yearning for retaliation swept through the room.

He was still moving, but he did not get very far. Just as he stepped out from the construction put up around the podium, someone pushed something hard and cold into the spot where his right kidney was. “Don’t move, asshole,” a voice hissed at him and Calder silently cursed again. Not fast enough. As one of the faces in this crowd that most people in this room knew didn’t belong, he was probably right up the top of suspicious people.

Then a shot rang out from somewhere. More screaming.
The muzzle of the handgun was pulled away from him, and Calder once more moved.

More shots were fired. Shots that Calder was unable to place in the large interior of the warehouse. But the wave of terror and yearning that had pushed through the lines of Peters’ followers had something else in its wake. Panic. And it was closing in fast. More screams, chairs moving loudly across the floor. More screaming. Another shot rang out. Someone pushed one of the large double doors open somewhere.

Calder knew that’s where he wanted to be – but also, that he was way too far away from any of the doors.

He ducked low, pushed forward. He tried to move with the crowd. People were frantically pushing through lines of chairs. He turned, could see no one directly looking at him. Then something cut into his chest. He lifted a hand, but there was nothing. Not the handle of a knife sticking out, or something of the sort.

Pulling his hand away, Calder gazed down at the tips of his fingers. They were red. He dropped his gaze to the large and growing circle of red on his torso.

“Really?” he muttered before his head begun spinning and he was pushing down to one knee. Air went out of him and for a moment all he wanted to do was lie down, and sleep. Calder swallowed, looked up. Someone stood next to him. One of Peters’ deputies?
“You did this, asshole!” The man barked.
Silently, Calder wondered whether these guys had any more swear words or whether they had all unanimously agreed on just sticking with ‘asshole’ for him. “No,” he uttered, staring up into the barrel of a gun. Second time tonight, I betcha …, he mused almost happily so.

09-26-2019
08:37 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
09-26-2019, 08:37 PM
[In-Character] [Post #59]
For a moment silence rang through the building and then someone shouted from the top of his lungs that nobody should move. Then all hell broke loose, women started to scream, one very high, and then people started to yell at each other. Rachel tried to find Calder in the scuffle and found him moving away.

Saw him being stopped by an asshole who had a gun and Rachel moved her scope and took another shot. She figured she had like two more before they would find her. The guy fell away, giving Calder time to get out.

Other shots were being fired, some were aimed at her, but didn’t get too close. Not yet anyway. When she tried to locate Calder again, she couldn’t find him anymore and she gritted her teeth. Had he gotten out?

Then she spotted another high-ranking member of the chapter, and she took her last shot. Rolled away from the edge, dismantled the rifle in record time and slung the backpack on her back before she snuck out of the window the idiots hadn’t bothered to check. Fine by her, it had been the easiest way to get in and out of the building. Throwing the rope down, she rappelled down fast.

Her phone buzzed, and she frowned. Looking at it her heart stopped. Your boy is in trouble. Have them in sight. Take the shot? Castle was here? What? How had he known? Where? She answered. Around the corner. They will kill him.

Fuck, fuck, fuck, she thought, making a dash for it. Take the shot. She texted back, and as she rounded the corner she saw a big brute holding a gun going down. Of course, he wasn’t alone, his buddy looking around frantically, but Rachel had her own gun out already and as she took aim, she fired two rounds into his chest. The guy toppled over and she was next to Calder in an instance.

It wasn’t looking good, there was one of the biggest red stains on his chest and she could see the tiny hole in his dress shirt. Someone had shot him.

She got one of the first aid packets out of one of her cargo pants pockets, ripped the wrapper, and pressed against the wound on his chest. “Hold that.” She snapped at him, grabbing his hand and pushing the wad of gauze against the wound. Rachel quickly wrapped the bandage around it in such a way that the gauze wouldn’t go anywhere and then she moved to his other side, and pushed under his arm, helping him up.

And then there was Frank Castle, pushing under Calder’s other arm, and taking most of the weight. “Where to?” He asked, shooting another asshole who tried to stop them.
“One of yours. He burned mine.” She told him. “My car is around the building.” Because the idiots hadn’t done a sweep either. Amateurs.
“Rache…” Castle grunted at her.
“What?”
“You really shouldn’t have done this.”

Rachel gritted her teeth, ready to tear into him about calling the kettle black and stuff. Because he was the god damn Punisher. All he did was take revenge on people, but she remained silent and they made it to her car without a hitch.

Or so she thought. The idiots had found her car and were surrounding it, one of them spotted their little ragtag group, and they all turned to face them.

“Ten. Are they even trying?” He asked, raising his gun and the first one went down. Rachel took out another three, Castle two more and the other four just dropped their guns and ran.
“And you complain about me taking them out.” She huffed, opening up the passenger door. They carefully placed Calder there, she closed the door and she turned to Castle who was regarding her with a frown on his face.

“I sent you the address of a safe house. He needs help, Rache.” Frank told her and she sighed, nodding.
“Thanks for the help, Frank.”
“Anytime. I’ll do some clean up here. Be safe, okay?”
“You know me.” She shrugged, and he shook his head.

She tossed her backpack in the trunk of her Mustang and got into her car. Seeing where Frank was sending her, she smiled.

“You better not bleed on my seat.” Rachel gave Calder a side look, her heart doing a funny little skip, when she realised that somehow, she didn’t want to see him dead.
10:09 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
even if it hurts
Administrator
Contributor
09-26-2019, 10:09 PM
[In-Character] [Post #60]
Everything that followed after the big red circle blooming on Calder’s chest was no more than wild imagination. There were guns fired, dangerous men helping him, not so dangerous men following him. And then there was the redhead. Her hair hidden away, he could still almost smell it under the black wool she used to obscure it.

She was quite something, wasn’t she? Calder was sure that Baldur would have chased her had he gotten the chance. His brother would have marked the woman and then Calder would not have gotten a shot. Because, of course you did not go after the girl your brother liked. But this time, Calder had made that mark. In that hallway, with his pants around his ankles, he had called dibs.

Tyr chuckled somewhere deep inside.
Calder wanted to tell him that it was irritating but Tyr was only amused, pointing out that Calder would not die. He did not even need to be dragged away from site. Eventually everyone would be gone and he would be fine again. That these people were saving his life was no more than an exaggeration.

An exasperated sigh – one that did not phase the ancient one inside of him one bit.
Calder wanted to know whether Tyr, too, thought that Rachel was one of them. Tyr just responded with silence.

A cough racked through him and Calder was pushed out. Just out. Out of that secluded area inside of him where he had been. Out into the world. Not bleed over the seats? “Trying,” he pushed out. But he already knew the situation was troublesome. He was hurt. He doubted Rachel would just leave him to his own devices even if that was exactly what Calder needed.

“Just let me out,” he pushed out, gazing out the window and trying to make out where Rachel was and what it was he was seeing. But his sight was not cooperative at all. “I’m fine,” he added but knew she wouldn’t buy it.

One of us, he kept thinking. Wondering if Baldur had been on drugs – or whether this woman even knew that she might be other.