Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [NYC] Sotheby's NYC Auction House.

09-19-2019
07:46 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
09-19-2019, 07:46 PM
[In-Character] [Post #41]
“I suppose it’s not.” She returned the smile, wondering what was so secret that he couldn’t have told her over the phone. Rachel took the offered menu, and felt her stomach rumble, clearly it felt she had slighted it with just the one sandwich at lunch. “I haven’t. I was still at the precinct.” She confessed, and it went against all her rules of professionalism to have dinner with a… person of interest? Asset?

But she was hungry. Two birds, one stone kind of thing.

Flicking through the menu, she wasn’t even sure what to eat, it all sounded delicious, and she frowned slightly, her gaze flicking up when he offered up a suggestion for the entrée. It did sound delicious.

He ordered his food and drink, and then the girl looked at her, waiting for Rachel to order.

“I’ll have the same.” She said, giving the girl a smile. “But just water for me.” She was still here in an official capacity, so drinking would have to wait till she got home. She had a nice bottle of white in the fridge, and she had been looking forward to opening that after she had gotten home tonight. Except, she was now here, across from Calder Musgrave.

The girl left with the menus, and Rachel sat back in her chair, wondering when he would get to the point of why he had summoned her to this place. Her gaze fell to the slim binder he had picked up, and was now sliding it across the table towards her. Leaning forward, she reached for it after he looked from it to her.

“And this is…?” She asked, picking it up and then flicking through it. Her eyes widened, went back to the front and started to read the pages in earnest. “You gave me the roster of W&P.” She stated, surprised that he had done so, and that immediately made her suspicious because he wasn’t a man who did things for nothing.

“Why?” She asked, looking up from the binder to him. “I thought you said, and I quote, ‘If it’s a roster you need, you can subpoena the records.’ Oh and my personal favourite, ‘Sweetheart, if I ran my business on goodwill, you and me wouldn’t be sitting here.’” She closed the binder, rolled it up and held it in her hand. God she wanted to keep it, it would help with her investigation, but at the same time, she knew that if she took it, he probably wanted a favour in return.

And was she willing to tangle with the devil?

“Why now?” Rachel asked with just the right amount of suspicion in her voice, and then her phone started buzzing. Frowning, she took the device out, it was still the burner, but the message in her screen was clear.

Alarm: Perimeter breach! Pressing on the message box, it opened the security feed app and her heart leaped into her throat when she saw intruders in her home. She felt the blood drain from her face, her lips pressed together forming a thin line, and she pushed her chair back. Looking up from her screen, to the binder in her hand and then at Calder, her gut told her that she had been set up.

Except, she had no proof. God fucking damn it. “I have to cut this short. Something came up.” She told him, while standing. Rachel grabbed her coat, and turned, remembering she was still holding the binder. Well fuck that, he had given it to her, so she was going to keep it. If he wanted something in return, she was sure he would let her know at some point.

Rushing out, she called Lucas. “Meet me at my home. It just got ransacked.”
10:38 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
even if it hurts
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
09-19-2019, 10:38 PM
[In-Character] [Post #42]
Calder wanted to respond and provide quite an elaborate answer why he had changed his mind. Not that he actually had. Or … well, maybe a little. Baldur had offered enough of a reason to make him reconsider. Where the lieutenant would have been no more than a toy in his playpen before he now regarded her in earnest. Where there was no actual indicator for now that she was Asgardian, Calder knew better than to just ignore such a hunch.

Hunches were important. That much the human side of this God slash Human had learned.

And yet, giving her the proper rosters would mean throwing his brother under the bus. While the lieutenant would not be able to prove that he and Baldur were actually of the same blood, Calder still could not risk that. He had sworn to keep the Asgardians safe. That was the price for the life he was living after all.

“Olive branch”, was all Calder answered when Rachel prompted him about a reason.

Then her phone went off.

Calder rolled his eyes. Amateurs. Of course she had an alarm. Why had no one bothered to look into that? Dismantle the alarm. Hell if she had a secondary one installed, that would have triggered fifteen minutes down the line tops. But the primary one? The people he had sent in were caught by the primary one? Calder reminded himself to never go with the people his brother suggested again.

“What’s going on, Lieutenant?” he asked and stood as she did.

Her reaction left no question for him. She was being alerted to the break in into her apartment. As the lieutenant headed for the entrance, Calder pulled out his phone. He eyed her for a minute, then checked his phone’s watch.

[You have ten minutes sharp. Incoming.] He sent the text, then grabbed his jacket and went after the woman. Maybe he could stall her. “Lieutenant, what the hell is happening?” One of the waitresses came at him, inquiring about the order. He just told her to cancel the entire thing and to send the bill to his account. Then he growled deep in his chest. This was the second glass of whiskey this woman cost him.

bury my heart next to yours
09-19-2019
11:36 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
09-19-2019, 11:36 PM
[In-Character] [Post #43]
Rachel really didn’t have time to entertain Calder Musgrave, somebody was breaking into her apartment, and if she was fast enough, she could catch them in the act. What the fuck was going on? How had she ended up in another situation like this? First those asshole purifiers trying to kill her so they could get their precious leader back, and now her apartment was being ransacked.

She needed to get a cab, but would she be in time? Lucas was fifteen minutes out, she only ten with some luck if she got a cab.

Fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Somewhere from behind she heard Musgrave call out to her, asking what was happening and she wanted to snarl at him that he fucking well knew what was going on. Her suspicion of him luring her here was strong, and part of her wondered if she was just seeing things because she needed a scape goat and he was the most convenient one. Wrong place, wrong time kind of thing? Maybe, she relented to herself.

Growling, she turned to face him and then an idea popped in her head. He had a car. She knew he wouldn’t take a cab, either he had driven himself or he had a driver waiting.

He could take her to her apartment, with her luck he had a fast car as well.

“I need to confiscate your car.” She took it a step further; she could drive herself in his car. “I got notice of a breaking and entering in progress, the perpetrators are still at the scene.” Rachel looked at him, a glint in her eyes that he better not get in her way. “So, car?”

Her phone buzzed again, looking down at the screen she gritted her teeth. They were trying to get into her safe, and she was now cursing out loud.

“I really don’t have time to stand here, chatting.” She was in a hurry, because if they got into that safe… Well, she might as well get into hiding herself. Why hadn’t she moved the items in that safe when she had gotten back from Frank’s safe house? Looking at her screen, she was hopeful they wouldn’t get through that state-of-the-art thing that had cost her a fortune.

“You either give me your car or drive me yourself.”
10:34 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
even if it hurts
Administrator
Contributor
09-20-2019, 10:34 AM
[In-Character] [Post #44]
Calder did a double take when the woman suddenly turned around, announcing that she would take his car. “No,” was his single-syllable answer. It would be a cold day in hell before he would just hand over the Porsche to this woman. Alright it was the Macan. Lovely SUV model. If it had been the Taycan he would have likely gone head to head with her. Either way, he would not just part with the car.

“A lieutenant running off for this kind of thing? Why are you the one picking up a burglar? With my car no less?” Calder looked at her, rather enjoying the sight of that no-nonsense glance in her eyes. Oh she was feisty. And she was used to things being run her way. Just that Calder would not play ball.

“What are they stealing?” he quipped. “The Mona Lisa?” Then he shrugged. Of course he knew why she was so invested. But he couldn’t know that … not officially, so he would play his part. And do it perfectly so.

Then she finally relented, allowing for the option for Rachel to be driven by him. Calder shrugged – allowing himself to look like a boy who’d just been told he’d get to drive a race car. “Alright … once more, offering you a ride, lieutenant.” He grinned, pilled the ticket he had gotten from the valet and went ahead.

Five minutes later they were in his car and Calder was weaving the large vehicle into moving traffic. “So where are we headed, lieutenant? One of the museums? The mall down the road? Or what about Sotheby’s? They’ve got some very interesting things there. Definitely worth trying.” He shrugged, then looked at her just before he braked and stopped the car at a red traffic light.

09-20-2019
02:50 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
09-20-2019, 02:50 PM
[In-Character] [Post #45]
He said no. She looked at him, one of her brows went up north, and she wanted to yell at him that he couldn’t say no to her. Then again, when did people actually give up their cars to the police to begin with… that’s right in bad b-rated movies. Cursing silently, she needed to move, they were getting too cosy with her safe.

It had everything important to her in there, and then some. Pressing her lips together in a thin line, she wanted to lash out at him for being a dickhead to her. Because, he found a button to push and he kept poking at it.

Gritting her teeth, she looked at him when he pointed out her rank and why she was being called in for it. “It’s none of your business.” Which it wasn’t, and yet she dragged him right back into it. Just like before, and she couldn’t exactly rule out that the purifiers were behind this, but they wouldn’t be this stealthy. They would just do what they did a few days ago. Attack her head on.

“Calder…” She used his first name in frustration when he kept poking, she didn’t have the time for this. Her irritation level was rising, but at last he finally relented and told her he would offer her a ride.

Sighing in relief, her phone buzzed again, this time Lucas telling her that he would be at her apartment in less than eight minutes. How fast was he driving? Had he taken his motorbike?

It didn’t matter, he would arrive before her. Don’t go in on your own. She texted back to him. Hoping he would read it before he did something stupid. She knew he could hold his own, but she wasn’t in the mood to lose another of their team. Looking at the man who was grinning at her, she rolled her eyes. “You can bill me later.” She told him through her teeth, following him towards the valet parking.

It felt like it was taking forever, but five minutes later they were in the car and he asked her where they were going. And of course he had to be annoying about it, and something about the way he kept pushing her buttons like this, made tiny alarm bells go off, but she didn’t have time to assess them properly when he hit the brake.

“My apartment.” She finally relented, rattling off her address for him. “They’re breaking into my apartment.” Looking at the time, they had already taken so much time.

“Ugh, for crying out loud, drive! I’ll cover the speeding ticket if you get one!” The words were impatient ones, but she didn’t care.
08:55 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
even if it hurts
Administrator
Contributor
09-20-2019, 08:55 PM
[In-Character] [Post #46]
Calder almost laughed when Rachel used his first name this time around. He figured, both of them would have to make a decision here. All of this was too much fun. Oddly enough, this woman just appeared to react to everything he did. Even what ought to be mildly irritating set her off. Part of him wanted to attribute it to his good looks and flawless charm, but Calder knew better.

She was putting the pieces together about as fast as he was making his moves. Rachel was good. She was damned good. She had instinct and she trusted it. Which was she was closer to finding him out than he liked. And of course, she didn’t have real evidence. But one of the first things he had found about Rachel Cole-Alves was not just that she still carried her dead husband’s name, but that she was quite comfortable operating outside the law.

Calder didn’t doubt that she would put a dent in his flawless track record without breaking a sweat.

Her irritation now made him ballsy. Okay so he would not get speeding tickets? Fine, he thought, put the Macan into manual and slipped onto the intersection well before the lights turned green. Then he stepped onto the gas pedal and accelerated.

“So… you giving me a free pass in speeding tickets warrants a first name basis.” Possibly screwing one another in dark hallway did, too, but the jury was apparently still out on it. “I am Calder. Whenever you’re not irritated with me, I don’t think I’d mind if you called me Cal.” He cut onto the right lane, overtaking by switching back onto the middle lane just in time. The old Buick on the right-most lane was going well below the speed limit.

“I admit I have been trying to irritate you,” he continued. Calder took a hard right, instantly accelerating again. “But I think I’d like to just switch to Rachel, Rachel.”

And with that, the matter was settled for him.

His phone buzzed in his pant pocket and he hoped it was the text announcing that the crew was done. He couldn’t check. Instead, he took a diagonal pass across a small square. Rachel’s apartment was only another block.

Eventually, he pulled to the curb right in front of her entrance.

Without further ado, Rachel jumped out of his car. Calder was hot on her heels, locking the car in passing but leaving it half up on the sidewalk. It didn’t matter. Not like he cared if they towed him. He followed Rachel into the apartment building. He wasn’t sure why. There was no concern to be had. He knew the men who had been in her apartment.

Maybe he just wanted to make sure that he had not hired a bunch of amateurs.

09-20-2019
09:37 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
09-20-2019, 09:37 PM
[In-Character] [Post #47]
She was more than happy to call him asshole as well, as long as he just made haste. She took her phone, looked at the security cams but they had cut the power. All she had was dark screens and she wanted to scream in frustration. Why was this happening to her? Why now?

Rachel looked at him, and she wondered when irritation with him wouldn’t be a factor, and warranted her to call him Cal. Probably when he’s screwing your brains out. Gritting her teeth she scolded silently at herself for having the worst timing to have these kinds of thoughts. Then again, sitting next to him like this where his aftershave reached her, did bring back all sorts of memories.

Quirking a brow at his admission of how he had been trying to irritate her, had her snort a laugh and then shake her head. He was just impossible. And then he used her name, and the way he said it, she just knew would be a slippery slope from this moment on.

“I’m pretty sure you try to irritate people for a living, Calder.” There she had used his name again, and the world hadn’t stopped spinning, but being this familiar with him, it had blurred the line between them even more. Like having sex with him hadn’t done that already? That stupid voice chimed in and she flipped it off. Rachel was professional enough to not have that come between him and her when dealing with him on a business level.

Her phone buzzed at the same time as his, but where she could look at hers, he could not at his. Boss, they’re gone. The idiot had gone in without back up. Status. She sent back, deciding that she would deal with his stupidity in person. I hope you know a good cleaner. Was his response and her heart dropped. What the fuck had they been doing?

Rachel’s building came up, and the car had barely stopped or she was already out of it and running towards the entrance. She made it to the lift, pressed the button and she thanked the elevator gods for having sent one down already. The doors slid open and she got in, Calder hot on her heels. She wanted to ask why he was following her, but her concern for the state of her apartment was taking up priority. She pressed the sixth floor, her impatience growing.

When she finally reached her floor she snarled at the doors for going open so slowly, then pushed past them and ran left to the end of the hallway. The door stood open, and she almost ran into Lucas who hadn’t gone further than the entrance of her apartment.

“Boss, you should wait for CSU.” He said to her but she ignored him and carefully stepped inside. The expanse of her living area was covered in papers, stuffing from her couch, her favourite armchair. Chairs lay broken on the floor and her table had been upturned. The open kitchen didn’t look better, all the drawers had been pulled out and emptied. Her cupboards open, the doors hanging half from their hinges.

She could hear her heart beating in her ears, heard Lucas saying something to her but the words didn’t reach. She walked to her bedroom, the bed wasn’t fairing any better than the couch, and her closet… all her clothes were tossed to the ground, strewn about the floor.

Rachel moved towards it, walked into it and looked at the big safe she had bolted to the wall. It was still closed. She let out a sigh of relief. Then again… what if they had opened it, emptied it and then shut it closed again? She stepped forward, typed in the eighteen digits on the screen, used her thumb on the pressure pad and the door clicked open. Everything was still there at first glance. She quickly closed it again and stepped back.

What the fuck had they been looking for?
10:13 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
even if it hurts
Administrator
Contributor
09-20-2019, 10:13 PM
[In-Character] [Post #48]
Calder just stood back. He had his phone in his hand, gladly closing the app that held all of his messages. Success had been reported. And Calder cared for little else. That didn’t help that he was standing in a place that looked like a bomb had hit it. That same place would be crawling with cops soon. Calder needed to leave.

So why wasn’t he?

Maybe because the woman in the midst of it all had told him that she had lost everyone not so long ago. And now he was making her life harder just because her plans did not perfectly superimpose with his. Calder typed out the message. [Proceed] before he put the phone away again.

“What does appear to be missing?” he asked. The question was sincere. Calder did not know what they had taken. In the end, they had gone through a few scenarios. Plain sight. Desk. Safe. She had a safe. Her credit card records showed as much. And it revealed its make and model. Everything else could be accomplished using Google.

Calder stood back. He waited patiently for CSU, for her colleagues. He had no other place to be this evening. Calder was enough of a gentleman to clear his schedules for a lady of interest.

He wanted to chuckle at this, not sure whether Rachel wanted to be called a lady of interest. This time it was him to leave a card. Just that he pushed his at Lucas. “Call me if you need anything”, he called into the general direction of one Rachel Cole-Alves. At the same time, he pulled out his phone, checking the messages. Nothing yet. Well of course. They had the data on the safe house, and the target. They needed to process it first. Peters would not walk before the day was over.

Calder had a pretty good idea where the man was but he needed confirmation before mounting a mission.

Then he checked his messages app again. Nina. Four messages. Calder couldn’t help but be oddly bored by the woman.

09-20-2019
11:18 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
09-20-2019, 11:18 PM
[In-Character] [Post #49]
She didn’t know how to answer Calder when he asked her what was missing, she had no idea, could not see through the mess that was her apartment. Shrugging she went into her office, it didn’t fare any better than the rest of the chambers and she started to curse like a sailor. She vaguely heard the man who had driven her here call out, but she was too busy plucking her laptop from the floor.

Amazingly it wasn’t broken. And when she pushed the power button it even turned on. Well that was something.

Lucas had given up standing in the doorway of her apartment and was now in the office with her, holding out a card to her. Frowning she took it and cursed again. It was Calder’s phone number. “Said to call him if you needed anything.” Lucas offered.

Rachel placed her laptop on the desk and looked at him. “You went in alone.” She finally decided to call him out on it.
“The door was standing wide open. I had a feeling they had split already.”
“You had a feeling.” She quirked a brow at him and he sighed, rolling his eyes.
“Boss, I know you know, so maybe we should cut the bullshit and not dance around it anymore.” Lucas told her and she let herself drop in her office chair, the one she had just righted.
“Fine. You’re a mutant.” She said, and he just gave her a single nod. “Anything else I need to know?”
“Musgrave is lying to you about something.”
“How do you know… ah never mind. I can guess.”

After that, CSU arrived and they went through her apartment with meticulous care, but how much mess the robbers had made, they hadn’t left any finger prints. It bothered her, a lot. Lucas stayed, helped her to salvage her bedroom. The mattress hadn’t been destroyed, just flipped, which was a relief because the thing had cost her a fortune. After she had grabbed all the clothing from the floor, she had given her bathroom a look and groaned.

Every soap bottle had been upturned and emptied in her bathtub, even her shampoo. It made her wonder what they had thought she might hide in there.

Lucas had offered to help with the living room and kitchen too but it had been pretty late by the time they had finished the bedroom and bathroom, so she sent him home. Rachel should have gone to bed but she remembered that she had been about to look at her laptop when CSU had shown up.

Making her way to the office, after she had changed in jeans and a long-sleeved tunic, put her hair up in a ponytail, she took the mug of coffee she had prepared for herself with and sat down behind her desk. Lose papers were still scattered around but she couldn’t be bothered with picking them up.

Rachel started up her breach app, a nifty little gift from Castle, and let it run. It said it would take a few hours to fully go through her laptop and her connected network. She sighed and looked at the papers. “Might as well pick those up.” She started to clean her office, picking up the papers and already half sorting them back in the right folders when after an hour her laptop pinged. Dropping the stack of folders she had in her hand on her desk, she slid back in her chair and what she saw on the screen of her laptop, made her curse like a sailor again. Her network had been breached, they had planted a virus, one that had been activated the moment she opened the laptop and it had been running silently while she had been cleaning the mess in her bedroom.

“Fuck, fuck, fuck.” What had they been looking for? And then her heart froze, she started typing away, opening up another window, typed in access to a remote server that kept check on her safe houses. The app was monitoring her actions, telling her when the files had been last opened and viewed and by whom.

She only needed to know if someone had been tapping into the one where she held Peters.

“God, fucking damnit.” Someone was going after Peters, and she had a pretty good idea who it was. “The fucking asshole.” She looked at her watch, it was way past midnight, almost two a.m. but she had to go look for herself. Sliding her feet into a pair of sneakers, she grabbed her coat, keys, phone and slid her gun in her holster. Leaving her apartment, she took the elevator all the way down to the garage.

Her very shiny black Ford Mustang GT was waiting for her, she got in and made her way to Brooklyn where she was hiding Peters. But she had a sinking feeling that she would find the house empty. Parking her car on the driveway, she got out, walked around back, went in through the back door, and found her way down to the basement. The door to the soundproofed room stood wide open, gritting her teeth, she drew her gun and carefully walked forward but it was as she had suspected.

“He fucking took Peters.” Turning, she left the house, got back in her car and found herself on the road towards where Calder Musgrave lived.

Again, she parked her car, anger simmered through her. He had used her, lured her out to dinner, gave them ample opportunity to break into her network, and then got what he had wanted all along. Peters. “Fuck, fuck, fuck.” She said again, and then she got out, because proof or not, she knew deep down that it had been Calder Musgrave to orchestrate this.

In her rage she had made her way blindly to his front door, raising a fist, she pounded on his door. “Open up, Musgrave!”
10:22 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
even if it hurts
Administrator
Contributor
09-21-2019, 10:22 AM
[In-Character] [Post #50]
Calder poured himself a generous serving of whiskey. It was time to finally enjoy some of the decent variety. Especially given the fact that ever since Rachel Cole-Alves had stepped into his direct line of sight, he appeared to either be drinking the god-awful variety or he forced himself to leave behind freshly served but never touched beverages. He was freshly showered, wearing comfortable black tracksuit pants, a light grey polo shirt. His hair was still damp and his feet were bare.

Descending the steps from the fourth floor master bedroom’s bathroom towards the kitchen situated on the third floor, he happened upon Paula. The fifty-something woman was working away at recreating what Calder called a pristine state of his kitchen. “Hi Paula.”
“I made you some dinner,” she announced, pointing at the generous plate filled with lamb chops and a mixed green salad. On a second plate, she had set out what looked like ciabatta in slices for him.
“That looks very nice. Thank you.”

She turned around, seeing the glass in his hand. “You drink too much Mr. Musgrave.”
“Calder,” he said, like he had so many times before.
“You should eat.”
“Thank you, I will,” he promised.

Drawing closer, Calder took one of the high-chairs set out at the kitchen island. He put his glass down and picked up the cutlery Paula had set out for him.

“I will be heading home for the night, if this is all Mr. Musgrave.”
Calder looked up, doing the both of them the favour this time to forgo offering her the first name yet again. He nodded and picked up a slice of bread. Pulling off a corner of it, he popped it into his mouth.
“Will you be here tomorrow?” he asked. He had more than one good soul in his employment who ensured that his house didn’t turn into a complete mess - and who made him food so he wouldn’t live on take out for the rest of his life.
“No, it’s Raoul’s turn.”

Calder nodded. “Have a good night, Paula. And thank you. This looks and smells delicious.”
“It will be even better if you have water with it.”

She offered him a wide grin and then hurried out of the kitchen.
Calder was alone. Like so often, fifteen rooms solely to himself. It was one reason why he so readily offered refuge to anyone who needed it. It was a lovely change to have any of the upstairs bedrooms occupied for a change.

He dug into the food and actually grabbed a glass of water for himself like Paula had suggested. Just that he did not completely replace the whiskey with it. No. The serving had been served. This would not be wasted.

When he was done, putting his dishes into the dishwasher the intercom system beeped. Surprised, Calder closed the machine. He wiped his mouth with his napkin before tossing it into the laundry basket where Paula had installed it in the pantry hidden behind one of the large shelf fronts.

He stepped to the iPad that was mounted to the wall and pressed the glowing green button. A grin slipped onto his face when he recognised the face. “Rachel,” he said. He could see her, she could not see him. She did not look too happy. Well, he had expected that. Just that he had not quite placed his bets on her actually coming to his place this time.

“I’ll be right down,” he told her and let go of the button.

He downed the rest of his whiskey, leaving the glass on the counter in the kitchen before he jogged the three flights of stairs down. He could feel his thighs working. Before his shower earlier, he had stepped out and done a ten mile run. He had done a proper pace of eight minutes per mile - just that his legs had eventually telegraphed that he had not done much of working out lately. Now he felt the results of that. Sore muscles.

Eventually, he arrived at the front door. He pulled one of the double doors open, leaning against the other. “You don’t call ahead, do you?” he asked her by way of greeting.