Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [Mutants] Lost Memories [Kayla / Logan]

08-02-2019
07:00 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
08-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Lost Memories [Kayla / Logan] [Post #1]
Lost Memories

When you live a very long life, a life that has been filled with almost anything you are bound to end up with memories that are hidden away. This is the case for Logan, he knows he has lost large chunks of his life, so called black outs as he calls them, and he had come to terms with them. Except when Laura came back smelling like someone from his past, someone he couldn't recall.

Until those lost memories started to plague him in his dreams. But always out of reach the moment he woke up. The only thing he could remember from them were those silver eyes.

RULES
* For Kayla [Typh] & Logan [Ellen]. Crashing is allowed.
* It's currently March 2026
* All GENEsis and Board rules apply.
07:51 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
08-02-2019, 07:51 PM
[In-Character] [Post #2]
"Logan, did you get the extra wood?" A soft, smokey voice tickled his ear, he could hear the laughter in it and he turned slightly to look at the dark haired beauty that had her arms wrapped around his neck. Her silver eyes caught his attention. They always did. It was always the first thing he saw when he looked at her.
"Sweetheart, we don't need the wood. I'll keep you warm." He rumbled before he reached for her arms and shifted her until she was fully seated in his lap.
"Is that so?" Her eyes were filled with mirth, but as he moved his hands over her barely clad body her gaze turned heated.
"I never hear you complain."

Logan opened his eyes, his heart was beating faster as he tried to hold on to this memory. Silver eyes, the woman had silver eyes. But it was fading, and all that was left in its wake were those silver eyes.

——————————-

Hide and seek, it was such a childish game but he had still agreed in playing it. The laughter that had trailed behind her as she had scurried off to hide from him, had filled him with warmth. That woman, he hadn't known he could love someone so much.

She understood him, like no one ever had.

"I'm coming!" He growled amused, lifting his nose and sniffing her out. Wildflowers. It was faint but he knew he could find her.

"You're using your nose!" Her voice softly drifted towards him, grinning he turned and focussed on a set of bushes not far from him. There, between the leaves, he spotted a pair of silver eyes glaring at him.

He ran towards her, heard her squeal and off she was, letting him chase her. It didn't take long for him to catch her, lifting her up in his arms and tasting her. Those silver eyes...

Snarling, he sat up in bed, his claws were out, and his heart beated faster. Another memory surfacing, but as always it faded as his heart slowed down, and he was left with just the imprint of her eyes. Those silver eyes.

——————————-

“You’re laughing.” He growled softly as he tried to turn around and see what she was doing. But her hand turned his head back firmly, making him sit in the same position he had been for the last half hour.
“I’m not laughing.” But he could hear it in her voice. She was holding it back. Which in turn made his lips quirk. He loved to hear her laugh.
“What are you doing back there woman?” He growled a bit more.
“Told you, you would see when I’m done.” She giggled then, and he let out another soft growl.

He figured he had been sitting still long enough, her request was that he should sit still like that because he looked gorgeous in this lighting and she wanted to do something about it. Logan hadn’t exactly seen what she had been collecting from their cabin.

“Okay, done.” She said, the amusement clear in her voice. Cracking his neck he turned around slowly, more than ready to see what she had been up to. But what he saw…
“Uh…” He started, looking from the item in her hand to her face, and back. He didn’t want to hurt her feelings, but it wasn’t exactly a masterpiece. Far from it. Then she busted out laughing, and his gaze snapped back up to her. Tears were streaming down her face, as she gasped for air.
“Your face… Priceless.” She hiccuped.
“You made that on purpose?” He frowned.
“Of course! I can’t draw.” She confessed, and laughed even harder.

Logan sprang for her, squeals of laughter escaped from her as she danced out of his reach. He was grinning himself, she had pranked him, drawing a growly stick figure wolf like kind of man with trees as a backdrop. The drawing discarded, he chased her and she kept on laughing until he finally caught her in his arms.

Logan’s eyes flashed open and he let out a snarl. These dreams had to stop, they woke him up several times a night ever since he had smelled that scent on Laura. It was time that he did something about it. It was time that he got himself a telepath and sort things out in his head. He couldn’t keep going on like this.

Even he thought he was more growly than ever. Throwing on a shirt and a pair of jeans, he made his way out of his room. For some reason he figured he would find the person he needed in the kitchen.

Somehow, everybody ended up in the kitchen at this ungodly hour. Or so he had been told. He felt crabby, itchy and very growly when he turned into the kitchen.

“Huh, they were right.”He rumbled coming to a halt just a few feet inside.
“Right about what?” Benji turned around, water bottle in hand and licking his fingers clean from whatever he had been stealing from the fridge.
“Finding you here.”
“You were looking for me?” Benji placed the water bottle on the counter and rummaged through the cabinets in search of … something.
“I need your help.” Logan said, frowning as he watched the other man push things aside in the current designated cabinet.
“With what exactly?”
“I thought you would know by now?”
“I’m not in the habit to just read people’s minds, Logan. Not without permission, besides…” He looked up then, shifting his head enough to look over his shoulder. “Your surface thoughts are shielded.” Benji shrugged and continued his search.

“I’m having these dreams…no, memories that surface in my dreams but when I wake up I only seem to remember silver eyes.” He sounded frustrated, which he was. Because whenever he tried to remember what he had dreamt about, all he could recall were those eyes.
“Silver eyes? When did this start?” Benji didn’t even turn around, which made Logan growl at him.
“What the hell are you looking for?” He snarled.
“There’s a secret stash of chocolate somewhere…” Benji muttered, moving on to the next cabinet.
“Bottom left, second one behind the bag of oatmeal.” Logan pointed out. Which made Benji grin and open up the one Logan pointed out. A shout of triumph when Benji pulled out a large plastic container, filled with all kinds of chocolate. “Couldn’t you have conjured that or something?”
“Apparently she can taste the difference, or so I’m told.” The man rolled his eyes and Logan just shook his head. He was talking about Kira, who had come back to them on her own with a little help of Reed Richards. And apparently she was pregnant. And craving for chocolate.

“You’re busy.” Logan took a step back.
“Ah, Beth is waiting for you in the garden.” Benji sounded apologetic and Logan just shook his head. At least he didn’t have to go find another telepath.
“Take that chocolate to your woman.” And with that he left the kitchen to find his way to the garden.

Which wasn’t hard for him to find, he just had to use his nose and before he knew it, he entered the lush garden made by one of their own. He heard soft voices coming from up ahead and wondered who else was with Beth. Logan knew that the woman had trouble sleeping, but who else would be awake at this insane hour?

Stepping through the trees, he found Beth and a younger version of the woman. Or well, one of the kids they had liberated from SentS. She was about ten years old and had dark blue hair. She had thrown away the name given by those assholes and preferred being called Meg, as she had told him.

“Shouldn’t she be asleep?” He asked, frowning.
“I couldn’t sleep.” She spoke for herself and Logan looked down at her.
“We were trying to calm our minds.” Beth told him, looking at him with those piercing lavender eyes.

Logan let out a sigh, another one who couldn’t help him.

“Sit. Tell us what is bothering you.” Beth pointed at the spot in front of them, and Logan reluctantly sat down. Meg grinned at him and he couldn’t help but smile back at the girl. Logan took in a deep breath and explained again what was bothering him and how it was keeping him awake. Silver eyes. Always those silver eyes. “I see.” Was all that Beth said and he knew something unspoken was going on between woman and girl.

“Beth, says your mind is hard to crack.” Meg looked at him, a little frown on her young face and it didn’t belong there. Children shouldn’t frown like that.
“It is.” He agreed, so far only Charles Xavier had been the one unlock certain memories in his mind. The rest was still hidden.
“This works better if I hold your hand.” Meg told him and now it was his turn to frown. She was going to do it?
“No offense kid but I’m not sure you should see what’s hiding in my head.” He looked at Beth, turning his frown on her. Because was she going to allow the girl to do this? Both were looking at him with a yes on their face. Well crap.

“I’ll take over if it gets too...adulty.” She gave him a smile but that only made him frown harder.
“I’m a big girl.” Meg looked at him, narrowing her eyes at him and it made him chuckle in the light of things.
“That you are, kid.” And he held out his hand. For a moment nothing happened, he watched her close her eyes trying to focus on something and then they flashed open and were spilling out some eerie light that made him want to pull away.

But he couldn’t. And then she pulled him into his mind and he was reliving the moment they were attaching the adamantium to his bones. No! He shouted, not wanting her to see that. Hell he didn’t even want to see that. Living through that once was more than enough, and some ten-year-old shouldn’t see this. The scene changed to something as equally disturbing as the previous one. He was fighting, blood and gore were all around him, his claws sinking deep into a body. Victor. He was fighting his brother. Which was a recurring theme in his life.

Kid, move on… He told her before they would get to the ends where he sliced his brother open and his guts would be spilling out.

Meg pulled him along, the scene changing once again. This one was with Howard Stark, the man explaining what he was going to do because Logan was dying. Slowly. It made him sigh with sadness. I already know these… He told her, suddenly he felt a small hand in his and he looked down. She was standing next to him, her blue eyes luminated with that eerie light, but not as bright as before. She looked up at him, a serene smile on her lips.

I needed to get a feel for your mind, map out the paths that you know, and the ones you are cut off from. She told him, and she sounded so mature. Nothing like the ten years she had on her. Which made him wonder what they had made her do that she had to grow up this fast. I’m fine, Logan. I think I found a hidden memory that describes the woman with the silver eyes.

Show me. He told her and she whisks him away to a new memory.

He wakes with a wordless shout, sitting upright, shirtless, in a bed covered with shredded bedsheets. Arms are being wrapped around him and a soft voice whispers in his ear that everything will be okay.

He’s panting, his chest heaving. Logan knew that his eyes were looking wild, he gripped the tattered sheets in his fists and the hold on him tightened just slightly until his bone claws retract. “I’m right here with you. Okay? I’m right here with you.” She murmured in his ear, and as his breathing evens out he turns to look at her.

Long black hair pulled back in a ponytail, wearing one of his flannel shirts to bed, Kayla was soothing him. “The war dreams or the one where you’re a kid?” She asks quietly, not letting go of him. He takes a deep breath, calming don even more and relaxes in her arms. She just had that kind of effect on him. How she managed, he had no idea but whenever she used that particular tone with him, he eased down instantly.

“The one where I’m a kid.” He finally answers, sighing content lay when she runs her fingers through his hair, kissing his forehead. Logan notices that she has a small cut on her forearm, frowning he takes her arm in his hand and looks at the wound. “I cut you.” It sounded like a growl.

“It’s nothing. Just a scratch.” She smiles, and leans in to kiss him. “We need new sheets again, baby.” She murmured against his lips, and they both chuckle.

Logan blinks a few times, but instead of being back in the garden, he’s still in his mind with Meg holding on to his hand. Her name, the silver eyed woman, her name was Kayla. And…

Is there more? He asked on a whisper.
Yes. There is. Meg told him, and swept him away again to a new scene.

Logan is sitting with Kayla, naked in front of a well-built fire in the fireplace. They have an old flannel quilt wrapped around them to add some extra warmth. The moon is swollen and red-hued, rising above the ark hills and framed in the cabin’s window.

“The kids made cornhusk dolls today in Arts and Crafts.” She told him with a smile on her lips as she pulled one of the little dolls out of her bag. “I made one for you.” She hands him the doll and he looks at it. Examining it by the firelight and thinking back at the time she had tried to draw him.

“I look like Elvis.” He declared with a raised eyebrow.
“You’re Elvis with claws.” Laughter laced her words, and he just snorted.
“Full moon tomorrow.” He told her, observing the moon through the window. He could feel her gaze follow his, and hear her soft sigh.

“You know why the moon’s so lonely?” She asked him, and he shook his head. Kayla laid back, resting her head on his leg, giving him better access to play with her hair. The soft silky strands that fell through his fingers, that made him relax even more.

“She used to have a lover. His name was Kuekuatsheu, and they lived in the Spirit World. Every night they’d wander the skies together, but one of the other spirits was jealous.” Her words held something magical, so Logan stayed quiet. “Trickster wanted the moon for himself. So he told Kuekuatsheu the Moon asked for flowers. He told him to come to our world and pick her some wild rose.”

“Never trust a guy named Trickster.” He offered up with a soft growl.

“Yeah, well, you do some stupid things when youj’re in love.” She told him softly, like it applied to her as well. “Kuekuatsheu didn’t know that once you leave the Spirit World, you can never go back. Now he’s trapped here. Every night the Moon searches for him and every night he sees her in the sky and howls her name...but he can never touch her again.”

Silence fell in the cabin, the only sound the soft crackling of the fire burning in the fireplace. It was a sad myth, and it made him wonder what it had to do with him.

“Koo-koo-choo got screwed.” He told her.
“Kuekuatsheu.” She corrected him. “It means, the Wolverine.”

This time he did find himself back in the garden. Both Beth and Meg were looking at him, and he didn’t know what to say. Those two memories, they were still vividly playing in his mind. And everything that went along with it. Like Emotions and feelings.

“Kayla, her name was or is Kayla. I loved her. Deeply so.” He sounded confused, but there was nothing confusing about this. The woman, whose scent had clung to Laura, had been the love of his life. So what had happened? “Is there more?” He asked.

“Your mind is tricky. Meg has been lucky to even get these two out. Unless you want to end up like a vegetable, no more tonight.” Beth told him. He doubted that that could happen with his rapid healing but, his mind had always been a fickle bitch when it came to memories and his healing ability. Physically his mind could be healed but his memories would be lost.

“Fine.” He told the two who were regarding him like he was a new science project. He could just tell that the older woman was contemplating more training exercises on his mind for the younger one. But not tonight. He grunted his thanks and left them alone again. He needed to clear his mind, the new memories that had been pulled out of his mind were still rolling through it like a movie. He could recall every single detail of her, how she smelled, how she felt, and how she reacted when he touched her intimately.

Logan shuddered, he really needed a stiff drink and stop thinking about this. But every time he tried, questions arose like, what the hell had happened that he hadn’t remembered her? How long had they been together? All he knew that it had been prior before he had the adamantium attached to his bones.

He left the theatre unseen after he had retrieved his boots and his leather jacket. There were a couple of bars in the neighborhood who were sympathetic to mutants and didn’t question their clientele. Logan felt right at home in one of those dive bars, the dark interior, the even stranger folks that visited it and a bartender who didn’t talk his ears off.

“Logan, the usual?” Same bartender asked when he walked inside and sat himself at the bar.
“I need something stiffer tonight, Clyde.” He growled at the man, who ducked behind the bar and lifted up a bottle of Jim Bean and poured him a glass. “Leave the bottle.” He told the bartender.
“That kind of night?” Apparently he was chatty.
“Yeah.” Logan just said, reaching for his inside jacket pocket and got out one of his cigars.
“Logan, you know you can’t smoke in here.”
“Yeah, yeah, I know.” Instead he just held it in his hand and took a swig from his glass. “Force of habit.”
“We’re closing up soon, you can light it up when the last patron leaves.” Clyde offered up.

Logan didn’t say anything, just tipped his finger against his head in a salut and focused back on his drink. Kayla with the silver eyes. Perhaps he should go out and find her and get his answers from her.
10:18 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Typh (F)
08-02-2019, 10:18 PM
[In-Character] [Post #3]
“You know they’re closing soon?” One of the patrons asked as he exited the hall from the restrooms.

She didn’t look at him, she simply pressed the ‘next’ button on the jukebox and flipped to the next page. She liked the older ones that required actual looking rather than the fully electronic getups the world had shifted in favor to some decade or so prior. Sure, it was nice to find the exact song you wanted if that was what you were hunting for, but sometimes you just wanted something familiar and could only come up with a sound that you wanted to hear rather than a particular voice.

The Duran Duran album gave way to Depeche Mode, then Queen, then INXS. Eighties nobility. She could remember the first moment that she had ever heard any song by each of the bands laid out before her. All within an hour of opening her eyes for the first time in years.

She plugged in a few options to spend her credits before she looked at the lumbering blonde that lingered, familiar arrogant male all over his features. “And?”

“Wouldn’t want you wasting your money, darlin’.” He drawled.

“All four songs barely top twelve minutes and the bar doesn’t close for another thirty.” She told him flat, dry. She watched his gaze trip somewhat southward and she shifted where she stood, let her hip rest against the box and folded her arms just so. It accentuated her chest and she knew it. “So tell me how I would be wasting my money when it’s spent on good music.”

He smiled, something ridiculous, and his eyes lifted back towards her throat for a moment before lifting back up to her eyes. “Thought a little thing like you might need to be home in her bed after all the alcohol you’ve been putting away.”

“All those flashy fruity drinks you and your buddy thought would tickle me so.” She tilted her head slightly, catching sight of the darker hair well-built specimen that he had arrived with sitting at the nearest corner of the bar. Kayla took a single step forward. “Those are little girl drinks.” And she honestly preferred the look of his friend, if she were being honest. Darker features, scruffier facial hair.

That was a type.

She was aware of the bar doors opening somewhere behind her, but she kept her eyes on the individual in her direct focus. When she took another step, the bartender’s voice cut off any further progression. “I like that jukebox, Black, don’t ruin it.”

“You should probably just take your friend home.” She told the blonde as she leaned towards him. “Clyde likes things clean…without blood on them.” When she tried to step away from him, a hand wrapped about her upper arm and it was a struggle to keep from rolling her eyes. “That was the wrong choice.”

The man behind the bar cleared it with ease and was suddenly directly beside him, a hand on her shoulder and a hand on Handsy Blonde’s. “Buddy, I’m going to have to ask you to leave.”

“I had every intention of doing so.” The taller, huskier fellow replied. His friend’s barstool creaked.

“You’ve got three seconds to let go of me.” She offered calmly.
08-04-2019
06:56 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
08-04-2019, 06:56 PM
[In-Character] [Post #4]
Logan watched Clyde, who in turn was watching something happening behind Logan. Trouble, if he had to believe the look on the bartender’s face. Sighing, it would probably be one of those nights on top of the night he was already having. Sipping from his drink, he held the cigar between his fingers.

From what he could tell from the conversation behind him, some asshole thought he could get a quick score with a girl, who thought otherwise. His eyes drifted to a man sitting at the bar, who was looking just as intently at the situation as Clyde.

Yup, it definitely was going to be that kind of night. Because asshole one would do something the girl didn’t approve off, Clyde would get involved and then asshole two would come to asshole one’s defenses. Ultimatums would be ushered, the assholes would start throwing punches and then Logan had to get involved.

It always played out like that. Always.

It’s why he could have free drinks whenever he came in. Clyde saw him as his personal bouncer whenever he stepped a foot inside. And he managed to clear the establishment from assholes without breaking too much.

He watched Clyde vault over the bar, getting himself involved, just as Logan had predicted. He also told asshole one to leave. Logan saw asshole two get up from his stool and he let his claws slide from his right hand. “Leave now or you’ll end up with three extra holes to shit from.” He threatened asshole two, who looked at the large adamantium claws, swallowed and decided to take his advice and leave Clyde’s.

Then he turned around after emptying his glass, stuck his cigar between his lips and lit it up. He had earned it.

“Bub, you better let the lady go or I’ll give you an extra three on top of the three I offered your asshole friend.” Leaning back against the bar, all six claws had slid from his knuckles and he looked at the odd trio standing near the jukebox. Ready to spring to action when needed. Except, when his eyes fell on the woman, he almost dropped his cigar from his lips.

His heart skipped a beat, because standing there, was the woman who had been tormenting him in his dreams for the past few days. The woman he supposedly had a romance with, the woman he had been in love with.
02:33 AM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
08-12-2019, 02:33 AM
[In-Character] [Post #5]
“One.” She started her count and the blonde idiot tilted his head slightly as though he didn’t believe that she was actually going to give him three seconds, or that she was actually going to count.

“Let go, man.” Clyde insisted from beside her.

The man at the bar moved by them, throwing the bar door open wide enough o let in a flutter of cool, fresh air. It sifted the room about her, filtered it all through her nostrils and senses. Her heart treaded out a quicker beat when something familiar tickled against the back of her throat.

“Two.” She continued, focusing once more on the man before her.

Then a voice. And it ran a smattering of familiarity down the length of her spine. The blonde hulk before her managed to turn in the direction the voice had offered some manner of negotiation from. And much as he had stared incredulously at her, she was offering the patron addressing him a similar look.

“Three.” Then Clyde withdrew his hand form her shoulder as well as the one he had around his handsy customer’s arm. “You’re going to drop a twenty on the bar for me to use however I please, and then you’re going to walk yourself home through traffic-“

“Black.” Clyde snapped.

“You’re going to walk yourself home and put yourself to bed without any intention of leaving your sad excuse for a home for the next three days.” Then she looked at the place he had his hand about her upper arm. “Now let go of me.”

Then he did so. She watched him move towards the bar, pull out his wallet, and set a twenty down on the counter. Right next to him. She couldn’t look at him. Not yet. Maybe not ever. Because looking at him did something to her, called back to thoughts, memories, and emotions she had buried and mourned far too long ago. So instead, she watched the blonde asshole as he moved through the bar in a trance right back by her and out the front door.

“Well,” Clyde sighed, the hint of a growl in it, “that was relatively clean.”

Another customer set his glass top down on the bartop, reached into his pocket and set a few bills beside the glass. He offered a half salute towards Clyde before he shuffled himself out through the front door.

“So what do you want with your money?” Clyde looked down at her.

“Who said anything about wanting to spend it here?” She stared right back at him without waver. Little passed between them for a moment even as she shifted, popped one hip out and folded her arms. “Whiskey sour.”

The barman took a step towards her and narrowed his eyes for a moment, then he huffed and moved back behind the bar. She watched him and then followed, hiking herself up onto a barstool near him. “What the fuck are you looking at?” She asked as she looked in his direction.
08-12-2019
10:05 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
08-12-2019, 10:05 PM
[In-Character] [Post #6]
He blew out the smoke of his cigar, watched the trio with interest and slowly slid his claws back in as he heard the woman started to count. Logan wondered what she was planning on doing when she would reach three, if he only could remember more. But whenever he tried, he hit a wall. He was stuck with the few he had and the flashes of his dreams.

Logan picked up his glass, looked at Clyde who decided to take his hands away from both the woman and the man, and he got his answer as to what she would do when she reached three.

She told the man exactly what she wanted him to do and it made Logan frown. So, was she a mutant like him? She must be, since she was still looking like she had popped out of one of his memories. He was pretty sure that those had happened quite a while ago since he didn’t have his adamantium claws.

Clyde protested when she hinted at the man ‘killing’ himself while walking home and she rephrased it.

Sipping from his drink, his nostrils flared, and her scent was unmistakable that of wildflowers. It was really her.

The man walked up to him, dropped a twenty on the bar and then left without a word. Clyde came back over, frowned slightly at the lit cigar and Logan just shrugged. The last patron was leaving as well, she wouldn’t be bothered by the smell. Or the smoke. He filled himself another glass and narrowed his eyes at the Kayla.

Studying her while she was conversing with Clyde, the familiarity was there but he still couldn’t place her. Knew that she had been important in his life, but he couldn’t tell how or when. There had been love, that he knew but looking at her right now… it was just a memory, a hint of a memory.

For all intents and purposes, she was just a stranger to him.

“Lady, you got some mouth on you.” He growled, picking up his glass and downing it in one go. He then took a drag from his cigar, heard Clyde drop an ashtray on the counter and he couldn’t stop the grin. Shaking his head, he tapped the ash from the cigar and then looked back at Kayla.

“I’m looking, because for some god damn reason the universe dropped you right into my lap.” Logan took another drag, settled on her eyes and noticed the silver colour. Right.

“At least I don’t have to tear down half a city to find you.” He tipped his head, tried to poke those memories again but nothing would budge. That wall wasn’t coming down. Not tonight anyway.
05:02 AM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
08-13-2019, 05:02 AM
[In-Character] [Post #7]
Apparently she had a mouth, which was obvious, even if she was aware that he was referring to what she allowed to slide out of it. She held his gaze when he offered it to her, though he seemed taken by the placement of an ashtray before him, meant for the cigar he was apparently allowed to light up. Considering the threat he had offered, and the ability to follow through on it, she could perhaps understand Clyde’s allowance.

The Wolverine up out of a grave and ready to fight.

If she let her mind conjure all the thoughts and considerations she had had upon waking to the world form the forced slumber she had been shoved into, she would lose herself. And it all had centered around him. A sudden absence that she had had to put away without offering too much focus openly. It would have fit right, not when she had been swept up into the evolving establishment that had become an agency that hunted what she was.

And she allowed herself to be a part of it.

There were those the Services sought to sway, and those that she knew would never be manipulated, not entirely. Much like the man staring at her, much like the girl she had encountered with his eyes, and the claws that extended rather familiarly from between the skin and bones of her knuckles.

Adamantium.

She had learned everything there was to know about it.

Kayla narrowed her eyes slightly when he suggested that the universe had seemingly delivered her to him. She felt like a creature caught in headlights, yet managed to keep every bit of her confusion off her face. That was a practiced skill more than a talent, to make herself unreadable, it was necessary in what she had become.

Then her brows pinched. “And what exactly would spur you to tear through half a city?” She fingered the rim of the glass that Clyde set down before her without looking at it. The lime, the whiskey, it taunted her, but not quite like the color of the eyes staring back at her. And once more, her mind reminded her of the girl. She wondered about the younger woman’s existence, and it didn’t matter that she could align the girl with him and whatever she had seemingly inherited from him that might allow for longevity. There had been youth staring back at her in the intersection.

Her curiosity had compelled her to dig, find shreds. A female, damaged genetic material. Too much would raise a flag. Then there would be questions.

“You could walk yourself into any bar in the state and pick up a mouthy slip.” She lifted the highball glass up with the tips of her fingers and swirled the liquid about. She pressed it to her lips and swallowed half the contents without missing a beat, then set it down once more before she plucked the skewer off the rim and stuck one of the two maraschino cherries between her teeth.

“Do you want another?” Clyde asked from beside her.

“Of course I want another.”