Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [Event] Gimme Something for the Pain

06-27-2019
08:18 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Typh (F)
06-27-2019, 08:18 PM
[In-Character] [Post #11]
It was cold against her cheek, whatever was pressed there.

She tried to turn her head, tried to open her eyes.

It was dark when she managed to peek out form beneath her lashes, a sliver of light in through a narrow opening. It cast the faintest trace of warmth across the bridge of her nose.

Suppressant in her veins, some sort of inhibition to put her under.

When she tried to move, every cell in her body ached. Metal about her wrists weighed them down, keeping her from moving them closer to her face.

Her body struggled to respond.

Trying to move again skewered hair across her face.

She tried to reach out for Benji, if anything to utilize him to see. Her mind hummed, but the connection was…static.

First things first, she needed to get off the floor of the van she had been smuggled into.

As soon as she could keep her eyes open.

As soon as she could move.
06-27-2019
10:04 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
06-27-2019, 10:04 PM
[In-Character] [Post #12]
“You can’t just throw down a draw four.” Valeria growled out, disapprovingly. She had two cards lef t in her hand. She was supposed to power through them with ease.

The brunette with claws at the table reach for the box the cards had come in. “I am sure that I read the instructions correctly.” Laura frowned as she turned the thin box over against the table. “You remain in color suit, however, you are supposed to be able to utilize a wild draw four regardless of current color schematic.”

“You’re making this far too clinical.” Val sighed.

Amara shifted to her left, twelve cards in her hand. “Then draw four.” She insisted. “You didn’t do anything wrong, Laura, Valeria just thought she was going to slide home with her last two cards.”

She reached for the waiting stacked pile, then. She drew up the first two cards, and then reached for a third when her hand still, a muted form of panic lanced through her thoughts. It wasn’t just an idea, or the structure of the thought or emotion, it was a weighted form of it. It was sharp, and her eyes slipped shut for a moment as she tilted her head.

“Are you alright?” Laura asked, a hand immediately about her wrist, thumb against her pulse point.

Benji withdrew form her mind, but she was still supplied with a version of things to see. He was moving through the theater, Peter beside him. For a moment she could see the lab, and then Gabe sliding in through an upper window, tucking Tony beneath his arm. For a moment she could see Wanda, and the other woman looked directly at her. But it wasn’t Wanda that was taking her on a mental stroll.

“I’ll draw eight, but I have to go for a minute.” Then she rose form the table, set her cards face down and turned towards the hallway behind her, passing Sam who called out for Amara.

A sudden need to find Gabe took over most of her thought process until she walked directly into the man.

“Valeria, where’s-”

“Front door.” She told him, taking the boy out of his arms and walking across the lab to set him down beside Alex. She lifted a hand at pinched the bridge of her nose to counter the pressure there. She waved him out, shooing him, and then moved to put herself on his heels.

“Where is she?” Gabe asked the foyer and she took immediate note of Benji and Peter.
06-27-2019
10:57 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
06-27-2019, 10:57 PM
[In-Character] [Post #13]
Benji was fast, he was somewhat behaving and not portalling willy nilly into places. No, he was walking, giving himself the time to get back into control of the energy that wanted to be released. The power was coiling inside of him, his skin felt tight and all he wanted to do was yell and break stuff. It was taking him everything to not lash out at the first person who would round that corner and tell him to slow down and think.

It was his luck that Caitlin was waiting for him at the front door. “Don’t.” He said to her.
“You have to settle down.”
“I can’t.” He growled at her. He could feel Peter come to a halt behind him and he was of a mind to snap at the kid to back off.
“He’s only trying to help.”
“Shit, Caitlin.” He snarled, since when was she the telepath in this story?

“Focus for me.” She told him, her eyes drifting past him for a moment. “Do you have a location?” She asked him.
“No. Too much static.” He told her.

Gabriel’s voice drifted towards them and Cait looked around him at her husband. “We’re trying to establish that.” Her hand moved to her belly, softly rubbing it as she looked back at Benji.

“I think he’s losing it.” He heard Peter whisper to Valeria.

“Don’t pay him any attention. Look at me.” Cait used her mom tone with him, making him focus on her instead of his surroundings. “I’m a giant GPS system, like you I link up with people and Kira is one of them. I need you to amplify my power.” She told him matter of fact and he let out a shuddering breath.

“Okay. I can do that.” He nodded.
“Hold my hands.”

Benji bowed his head, closing his eyes. “I won’t hurt her.” He told Gabriel before the man could protest. He then reached for Caitlin’s hands and he let out a sharp gasp when she started to pull the energy from him and inside of herself.

She groaned softly. “I’m okay.” She called out. “Just need to … there.” The intake of her energy levelled out, and he tapped into her mind to follow her path as she searched for Kira on her GPS map. It was something to behold, slowly her map started to expand. Where she could only normally see for a hundred-fifty feet radius, it expanded. And it kept expanding. Little dots appeared here and there but none that were Kira.

Then one flared up brightly, and it was moving. She was in a vehicle.

Benji snapped open his eyes, a perfect image of a map in his head thanks to Caitlin. She released his hands and stumbled, he caught her and made sure she was steady on her feet before he released her.

“I know where we have to go.” He turned to look at the others. “And we have to hurry. I can’t portal to her, so we have to fly.”
05:49 AM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
06-28-2019, 05:49 AM
[In-Character] [Post #14]
The bullets were shaken loose, and each hit the ground with a very familiar tinkling thud, metal against asphalt. The physical extension diminished and reabsorbed back through his skin. For the moment. Until another cop, merc-whatever the hell they were- extended an electrical baton and moved towards him.

Human girl’s awake.
Not human.
For the moment, she is just that.

Fucking suppressants.

His grip extended form his other hand and seized the individual before him by his bullet proof vest and yanked him forward.

Astounding pancreas.
No.
She would see passed it.
Not until we have a handle on what this is.

A current tingled up the length of his arm, but it was no where near what the man had hoped for when he had drawn his ‘weapon’. With little effort, he tossed the figure some fifty yards away from them, a shriek following his progression.

Then he looked down at the woman lying on the ground. Her lip was split, smeared her chin in blood, an abrasion across her forehead was slowly seeping red. That neither was sealing without any rapid factor’s assistance was noted well enough. And that was just the part of her face that he could see.

He knelt down beside her, assessed her further. Noted her hands bound behind her back and reached for her wrists. Electricity sparked near enough for him to notice, another baton likely. And then more bodies poured out of another vehicle about thirty feet away from them.

“Sue in your damned ear?” He asked as black solidified against his thumb and cut through the thick plastic ties with relative ease. “Or was this really some heroic solo mission you concocted all on your own.”

Careful, she might think you actually feel something.
Fuck yourself.
I just might do that.

“Mind filling me in?” He tried shoving his agitation back where it needed to sit and fester for later. “Maybe before we’re run through with bullets?” He lifted his left hand and a could of darkness erupted form his hand to absorb the next round of gunfire. All the while, he had his sights set directly on Jenna.
06-29-2019
01:45 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
Rewrite the Stars
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
06-29-2019, 01:45 PM
[In-Character] [Post #15]
His question prompted no more than a quick “Who?” from her in response. Who in what? Huh? Had she suffered a concussion? Or was the suppressant also clouding her mind? Those substances were said to have quite strong side-effects after all. But then, as Eddie continued Jenna realised she understood him just fine – at least if the impact his slight carried was any indicator.

Her hands once more free, Jenna momentarily closed her eyes as she pulled her arms down to set her hands palms down onto the concrete. Had she had a plan? Of course not. Making plans took time and impatience was a strong streak of Jenna Coleman’s personality. While with the help of Bucky and Benji she had not always gone in blind, this time there really had not been time. She had followed her impulse. And not once had she stopped to consider how idiotic the entire thing might be.

She sighed, sat up and turned. Her face hurt. Her head hurt. Beneath her gloves the skin was angry about how tight the zip ties had been pulled. All those were sensations she was not quite used to anymore. The gash on her neck felt like it was still bleeding. Jenna hissed, surprised at how quickly she had apparently adapted to her new status.

Rubbing her wrists, she pulled the red disc from her chest, put it next to her and disabled it. Then she pulled one of the small knobs from her temple, alerting anyone at the theatre who was listening. The sirens were no more than a handful of blocks away. The van that had previously guided the convoy was still there. It had not moved.

“The theatre’s healer is in there”, she stated, then watched with grim eyes and reserved silence as once more the black mass extended from him and shielded them from inbound bullets.

Then it all happened at once. The van’s engine roared to life, while blue lights seemed to appear from either end of the road. Sirens. Damnit. The gunfire ceased, the agents were as surprised by the change in the situation. Then Jenna caught a glint of faint blue out of the corner of her eyes. She looked at the van. Nothing had changed to the naked eye – and yet … as the vehicle moved forward, it appeared like it was moving within … a cylindrical shape.

The police cars swerved as the van headed towards them. Then tired screeched as the units came to a halt. Men and women emerged, hiding behind opened doors. Weapons trained. There was shouting. Someone had a megaphone apparently and Jenna briefly wondered how it was that at this time of the day cops were moving and reacting this fast.

They were shouting for the van to stop.

Its driver had other plans.

As the police opened fire, Jenna held her breath. Like from a reflex, one of her hands found Eddie’s wrists. She squeezed as her heart battered in her chest. “Kira…”, she whispered, her mind inadvertently going to Benji. But the bullets ricocheted forcing the gunfire to once more cease.

Then the van vanished from sight.

“No …”, Jenna breathed. Her gaze dropped back to the police men and women now turning their attention towards them. Behind them, SentS agents made for their vehicles. Car doors slapped and engines revved.

“What do we do?” she breathed out.

bury my heart next to yours
06-29-2019
02:31 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
Rewrite the Stars
Administrator
Contributor
06-29-2019, 02:31 PM
[In-Character] [Post #16]
“I said move”, Susan Storm bellowed. She moved closer to the microphone. “Put the damned thing in Drive and step on it, Baldur.”
“If you’re seeing what I’m seeing, sweetheart, then I won’t get very fuckin’ far.”
“You’re bullet proof.”
“So they say b…”
“I said MOVE. If you don’t get your skinny ass out of there now, I swear I’ll make sure the police has your mug shot up on every last one of their walls.”
“It’s lean, Susan. It’s a lean ass. And it’s muscular. Defined. Get your facts straight…”
Baldur…”, Susan’s voice broke as she half screeched, half shouted into the mic this time.

“Alright, alright …”, Baldur rolled his eyes as he moved the cigarette from one corner of his mouth to the other. He lowered the window, pushing down the gas pedal once the gear display illuminated the capital D. “What is it with you human women … you’re insulting my rear and then you’re the one shouting at me.”
“Speed up.”
“There’s a wall of police people, sweetheart”, Baldur pointed out somewhat nonchalantly.
“They’ll move.”
“You mean as I mow through them?”
“Since when do you have a conscience?”
“Since when do you pay attention to anything but your own fuckin’ motives?”
“Just drive.”

Susan’s form, standing in the semi-darkness of her office, was glowing with a faint blue hue. Her sigh was set on the screen as she clearly visualised the area, the van and the people in it. Her own imagination was the limit. How often had Reed said it to her – but only as the vision of her older self had described some of the feats Sue had gotten up to had she truly believed it.

It was time to put the theory to the test. The surprise at it really working over such a moderate distance would have time to register later. For now, Susan felt the strain of working her force field power across so much space.

“Is that you sardin’in’ us?”
“Faster.”
“It’s really not the kind of time for that kind of thing right now, sweetheart.”
“Shut.It”, Sue pushed out through gritted teeth.

Baldur just chuckled as his own supernatural senses allowed him to gather that their status was changing. Had Sue really just turned them invisible?

“Remind me to never mess with you, woman”, he said, his tone serious.
Susan just sneered.

07-02-2019
06:46 AM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
07-02-2019, 06:46 AM
[In-Character] [Post #17]
It wasn’t exactly odd that Valeria had up and excused herself. It was the sudden waft of anxiety that had rolled off of her when she had left the room.

Laura glanced at the other girl that remained, they both still held their cards at the ready. “You know there’s something going on.” Amara fanned herself with her cards. “Something maybe interesting if she up and left in a daze.” Amara turned to look at her, a brow lifted and the quirk of a smile to her lips. “Something outside.

“You arranged for a murder the last time you left the theater.” She frowned slightly.

Amara shook her head dismissively. “It wasn’t a ‘murder’ per se, and I didn’t have direct interaction with what transpired.”

“You shared information about a particular individual with people of opposing territories and ideal that desired and then benefited from that individual’s death.” She insisted, leaning forward slightly.

“You make it sound like I conspired to kill someone.”

Laura set her cards face down on the table and folded her arms. “Well, yes, that is exactly what I was meaning to infer when I stated that you arranged for a murder.”

Amara rolled her eyes. “Ugh, it was hardly that.” She set her cards down as well. “Besides, it hooked us all in with Sian.”

“Hooked you in with Sian.”

“She has the prettiest eyes.”

Laura sighed, then. “I am going to inquire about what is going on.”

“Contractions, babe, work on them more. They’re way sexier.” She called after her.

A presence brushed up against her thoughts, turning her apparently in the direction that was necessary. There was an urgency to Beth’s thoughts, though they weren’t panicked. At least not that she was letting on. It was becoming harder for the other woman to press against her mind, apparently, and she seemed to find contentment with simply offering suggestion and kinetic guidance towards whatever it was she was trying to relay.

“Laura!” A tiny voice shrilled exceedingly loudly, almost enough to send a shiver straight through the other person somewhat in her head.

“Hello, Anthony.” She greeted the boy as he bolted from the lab.

“Is that Jaxon?” She asked as the lab doors slid into place.

“Yep.” The boy confirmed. “He came back form the clinic with Vision.” He supplied further. “But!” He clapped set a hand against her hip. “No. Kira. Bad news.”

“Where is she?”

The boy winced, then. “She might be in trouble.”

“Do you know where-”

“Benji and my dad are that way!” He pointed towards the front of the building. “You should go with them!”

“Perhaps.” She offered him a smiled and then made her way in the direction indicated

When the hallway opened up into the front foyer, she noted each person already present, and the anxiety they were each pouring into the room. She inhaled and then exhaled quickly, ready to not have their scents clogging up her nostrils. Outside would be nice.

“I am unable to fly.” She told them as she put herself beside Valeria. “Someone will need to take me.”
07-02-2019
08:38 AM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
Rewrite the Stars
Administrator
Contributor
07-02-2019, 08:38 AM
[In-Character] [Post #18]
Emma rubbed her face, and slipped out from under the covers. Getting herself a glass of water, she returned to her bed. In the semi-darkness, she gazed at the boy in her husband’s arm. Xander, eighteen months old, had refused to sleep in a bed on his own ever since Emma had let the boy gaze into her mind. There was no trust as such in him – for now, he appeared to have decided that Emma and Scott were the lesser evils. It broke her heart to watch a child so small to view the world with such distrust.

So it had come naturally, for Emma, to just accept that Xander would now be constantly glued to her hip or attached to her by any ways and means. Her youngest. She had a son. The how and the why was something Emma had blocked successfully so far. There was no time to mull over the circumstances, to feel violated and angry about what had been done – and what had been taken from Scott and her. She chose to focus on what they had been given.

The fact that, at her age, she still was given a child of only one and a half years, was a miracle in itself. And Emma had declared – to her husband and herself – that she would not let anything cloud the way she saw him. Alexander was not at fault. He was the greatest victim in all of this after all. He needed his mother, his father, more than anything. So after spending half of her life taking care of the children of others, Emma had begun taking care of her own.

Xander stirred, eyes popping open. A shadow rushed across his features as he sought for the second thirds body that should be in that bed with them. “It’s okay”, she spoke softly and his eyes found hers. Small, chubby hands reached up for her. “Ma”, he said, and Emma still wondered whether it was his version of ‘mom’ or an eighteen months’ old child attempt to say Emma. She wished for the former – but knew, that in the end, it just wouldn’t make a difference.

“I’m here, sweetheart”, she cooed and gently picked him up. His small arms latched onto her, Emma smiled.

She took the both of them out of the bedroom. A few minutes later, she had Xander wrapped in a small bathing robe, and herself dressed in comfortable yoga pants, a shirt and a cardigan. She pulled her hair up into a messy bun, picked up her son and set out to leave their quarters. “You and I are going to check out what’s going on”, she declared in a voice that sounded more cheery than she felt.

Her telepathy canvassed the theatre, and she picked bits and pieces up from different minds to piece together the story. Her heart sank. Sentinel Services had gotten another one of them. The healer this time. She watched carefully to keep her resentment at this on the inside. And yet, Xander seemed to pick up on it. His small hands balling into fists as he held onto her. “It’s okay”, she said, pressing a kiss to the boy’s forehead. “You and I will stay here. We’re not leaving tonight.” She rubbed his back and Xander put his head against her right side. For now, it appeared he believed her.

When she arrived in the foyer, she eyed the men present, then shot Laura a glance. Well, one woman on board at least. Good.

She picked up the location from Benji’s head, snatching it easily as if it were a bright light mounted above his head. Emma just eyed them all for a moment. “What are you waiting for?” she asked, her voice calm but not completely without disapproval. Her gaze slipped past Gabriel, then resettled. Beyond the man’s bravado lay a sense of fatigue.

It was a notion she understood better than she cared to admit. Looking out for a group of people – especially a ragtag one like this – eventually chipped away at the fundamental energy reserves. “Fran… Benji”, she addressed the blond-haired man with the wild gaze in his eyes. “Focus. Running in hot-headed and half-cocked is only going to get people killed.” Her gaze grew darker. “One of ours is on sight …”, Emma said, then her gaze unfocussed for a moment. As she blinked, she looked surprised. “Jenna Coleman… Tank?” Oh the names these kids came up with these days.

“You get Kira back. You do not exact revenge. Am I clear?” Her tone was smooth, deeper than her usual timbre, leaving no room for discussion. Emma was taking over the helm. The idea to have a handful of their best and most capable men running in without a clear goal and purpose worried her. Whenever anyone had done that, people had gotten hurt, they’d gotten lost.

“Open a portal, as close as you can. Fly if you must.” She narrowed her eyes at him, picking up things from his mind. Skimming, rather than reading. “I’ll keep the location alive for you no matter what you do.

“But flying will take more time than cutting across.” She looked at Gabriel. “Police have arrived on the scene. The scrambler is no longer active but wherever your girl is, she’s faint. I’m having trouble tracing her.” She squinted again, this time her gaze somewhere in between where she stood and where Gabriel was.

“Hurry”, she threw a glance to Benji.

“Rescue first”, it was a stern reminder. “Revenge is to be plotted when you return the healer.” Emma just held the other man’s gaze. Xander giggled in Emma’s arms. “Yah!” he declared, pumping one of his little fists in the air. Emma’s facial expression softened. “Be safe”, she added, then looked at her son and smiled.

07-02-2019
10:59 AM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
07-02-2019, 10:59 AM
[In-Character] [Post #19]
His head snapped in the direction of the new voice. He was ready to throw out something nasty when he saw who it was and who she was carrying. His mouth clicked shut, his teeth ground together and the muscle in his jaw stuck out as he tried to rain in his anger.

The sense of dread was enveloping him, to the point that it was suffocating him. He knew Kira was in danger and she was slipping away. The dot in his head moving rather fast and he was afraid that they would lose her. That he would lose her. His chest ached, his head hurt and Emma demanded his attention.

His eyes were glowing, raw power coursing through his body as she told him to focus, to not run in hot-headed and half-cocked. He growled; the sound so low that he wasn’t even certain they could hear it. He kept his mouth shut, his lips forming a thin line on his face, his hands forming fists and then there was Caitlin. Her hand on his arm, trying to calm him down. He pulled free from her, he didn’t need coddling.

He needed to feel this… rage. It fuelled him.

Wait… Jenna was there? What the fuck had she gotten herself into now? No. He could not have that extra worry right now. Jenna was a big girl, she could take care of herself. Once this was over, he would have a word or two with her about just taken off on her own… again.

His attention drew back to Emma, who kept ushering demands from him. No revenge. His eyes blazed, his hands lit up and he had to swallow it all down. “I’ll… try.” He grounded out, not making any clear promises. Once he was out there, all bets were off. He would get Kira back one way or the other.

Now that he knew that Jenna was on site, he could open up a portal near her. That should be close enough her reckoned. So that’s what he did. He opened up a portal. The dot in his mind was dimming and Emma didn’t need to tell him that he needed to hurry. He knew that he needed to hurry. So without waiting for the others he flew through, barely hearing Emma tell him that he could have his revenge afterwards.

We’ll see… He told her, looking back at her before disappearing through the portal.

The moment he arrived on scene he shot up in the sky out of reach of any projectiles and roamed the streets to find Kira.

There. She was going fast and he added speed to his flight to catch up with the vehicle. His heart was thundering in his chest, his fists were glowing with pent up energy that needed an outlet, rage consumed him but deep down he was scared. Afraid that he would lose her.

His eyes fell on a speeding vehicle, dodging other cars and going way to fast. The dot in his head grew slightly brighter and he knew that Kira was inside.

“I’m coming for you, Spark.” He growled, diving towards the speeding van. The thing pulled the strangest manoeuvres, not giving him a chance to fire at it. Not that he could with all the humans around, or with Kira in there and then it ducked in front of a truck, Benji lost sight and when he pushed himself to fly faster to get in front of the truck, it wasn’t there anymore.

Wait, what? He searched but the van was gone, the bright dot in his mind dimming rather quickly. Telling him that it was still there. He roared, trying to get the dot back but it faded out of existence and then it was gone.

“KIRA!” He shouted from the top of his lungs, energy expelled from his body and the buildings around him started to shudder.
04:16 AM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
07-03-2019, 04:16 AM
[In-Character] [Post #20]
A dull ache at the back of her head roused her enough to wince, then she rubbed her face gently against the bare skin she was pressed up against. It simmered quietly, and she tried to push herself back under. Then it was white hot, felt like a spike shoved right between her eyes and she was awake. She drew her leg back from around Jay’s and lifted a hand to press against her forehead in an attempt to curb the mounting pressure. The source was familiar, but the emotional onslaught did not originate form the man inches away from her.

Energy snapped into being, her fingers twitching, a beacon suddenly bright in her mind’s eye. When the sensation spiked further, she pushed herself backward and then tipped backward off the bed. She landed with a hard thud against the floor and her head knocked against the wall behind her.

A short groan pushed passed her lips. She knew the person on the other end of the tether. A line that had been quiet for so long.

”Benji.”
“Hey, Glowbug.”
“You make a star for me?”
Then he had knelt and conjured a tightly spinning point of light that he had held out to her.
“Is pretty.”
“Just like you.”
She had beamed up at him, then take the spark and drawn it close to her chest, absorbing it into herself.
“I keep it there.”

It was gut wrenching. He was all wound up in panic, rage, love, and fear. And all of it only served to fuel the energy that was churning within like a rising storm. She felt it in her chest, like hurricane barreling towards the shoreline ready to throw itself against a coast.

She reached out beside her in the dark for the first scrap of clothing she could get her hands on. A shirt, at least, though she didn’t know for sure if it was hers or his, she just tugged it over her head and pushed her arms through. Gabby pushed herself up onto her knees when another wave hit her with enough force to about drop her right onto her face.

“Yep.” She managed a squeak. “I get it.”

This had to do with the redhead, she was sure of it. The woman she was sure was more of a lost memory she couldn’t rightly place, a whispered fable that mothers told their children about to keep them in line. She was sure she was the same person. A red ghost sent to reap the fallen or those that fell behind. She had heard her mother mention she had been handled by the Winter Soldier. Gabby shook her head to dispel the deviation in her thoughts and looped back to Benji.

She wouldn’t be surprised if Jay woke. He was so in-tune with her it was almost frightening.

Drawing half the curtain back, she found her underwear and tugged them up her shaking legs. She considered the fitted leggings she had donned in the morning, and hesitated. Another ripple had her own body reacting, seeking to absorb the energy being tossed about into the atmosphere. So she stumbled towards the balcony, pushed open the doors and took immediately to the air.

It didn’t matter how dark it was, the line she could follow was internal.

She had to get to Benji before whatever generated energy he was expelling shook the damn city to the ground.