01-02-2012
05:25 PM
Pity the Child

Contributor
Name: Ecks (M)
Coven: chwech
01-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Writer's Block [Post #1]
We've all been there. You sit staring at that empty reply box, desperately trying to figure out a way to reply to that awesome post that came before yours. The thread is intense, you've really been into yet...and then inspiration vanishes.

How to get around it? Are you one of those that leaves the thread and maybe comes back to it? Do you battle your way through and try to scrape together a post and at least get it up there even if it's not your best? Perhaps posting with another character or in another game entirely gets your muse working again so suddenly you know exactly what to say in that post that has been frustrating you. Or maybe when inspirations vanishes, it really flees altogether and you're left with no inspiration at all for any character in any game.

Writer's...or perhaps posting block How do you cope with it when it strikes you?
01-02-2012
06:19 PM
You're familiar...
RPG Manager
Contributor
Name: Mari (F)
Coven: A7A
01-02-2012, 06:19 PM
It happens. Mostly, for me, it happens when real life gets hectic or when I've had a horrible, horrible day. Those are days when I can't get a single word written no matter how much things I think I would be able to say in that post. It's like all of a sudden the English language escapes me and I can't describe a feeling to save my life.

I try writing for another character then but that doesn't always work. I find that letting the thread be for a day or two gives me a chance to get my thoughts together and then I ease into the post by writing a bit and then leaving it sit for a while again, and a couple hours later I'll read that bit and continue on. Eventually after writing a few bits and pieces I end up writing the entire thing and it usually turns out longer than I anticipated.

What I've also noticed is that, sometimes, a scene you've played out with your RP partner has gotten so intense and has taken out so much of you that you literally suck the inspiration right out of yourself, leaving yourself with a posting block for a couple of days. Or maybe that's just me and I get so caught up in my characters that I sometimes cry when they do.
06:48 PM
remember when...

Contributor
Name: Mel (F)
Coven:
01-02-2012, 06:48 PM
My writer's block is always in direct correlation to my level of exhaustion. Pen and paper or even a blank word document are impossible to navigate when I'm tired.

Best cures for writer's block - SLEEP, quiet time, pot of tea (or four), acoustic/slow rock or film soundtracks, one or two of my favourite films or a good book help immensely.
07:50 PM
Weak Fantasy
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Todd (M)
Coven: DEvil
01-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Hm, writer's block... depends on what I'm writing as to how I handle it but it definitely happens. If I'm working on one specific thing like the novel, I have to put it down for a bit and step away. Regroup, go get something to eat, focus on real life for a bit, you know?

But for my characters, it rarely happens full stop. I'm not trying to sound superior in that I am somehow immune to it because I'm not. It's just that I always have inspiration for at least one character, and can get something going with that character. More often than not, lately, it's my darkest and most sarcastic and dry-humoured character that I find always comes through when I need to post. I think that says something about my personality, really.
08:54 PM
burning bright
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Gina (F)
Coven: DE
01-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Oh, writer's block! If only I never had to suffer from that.

Usually, taking a day or two out helps but, on other occasions, I sometimes find that the longer I leave a post, the harder it is to actually find the inspiration again. At that point, it's best that I just get any post done, even if it isn't as good as it should be.

Reading the previous posts in a thread helps me find inspiration even when I think I have none. It's actually surprising how much it has helped; somehow, it seems that all the inspiration I've had is like the instant boost I need to get over the writer's block then - not that it always works.

It's definitely worse when I'm tired or in a rush.
01-04-2012
07:18 PM
hostage to the light

Contributor
Name: Amy (F)
Coven: Guide
Style: Avengers
01-04-2012, 07:18 PM
I always have my list of posts to do on my stickies in the corner of my desktop, haunting me until I catch up. I try to keep up with them, but I know after this last break, it was impossible to get inspired to do anything. Whenever I sit down, I tell myself "I only have this amount of time do do these posts, and I have to finish them." It works when I do essays. Music, and a full stomach of food is necessary .
08:23 PM
Pity the Child

Contributor
Name: Ecks (M)
Coven: chwech
01-06-2012, 08:23 PM
I usually find that at least I can write one of my characters. Very rarely I've had times when I can't post anyone. It's usually that I'm just exhausted from work and haven't got the energy to post, or don't have time once all my work is done.

That said, when I've had those times when I couldn't seem to post, leaving them is always the worst thing to do. Inspiration never comes back, and the longer I go not posting the harder it gets to post that character again. If I just battle through the dry period, even if the posts aren't ones that I'm particularly proud of at least I keep posting and then inspiration returns.
01-11-2012
10:25 AM
Administrator
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
Coven: A7A
Style: Sovereign
01-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Tate Langdon

That said, when I've had those times when I couldn't seem to post, leaving them is always the worst thing to do.
That is so true. Usually forcing a post, even if it ends up being crappy, is the best way to get the muses going. And I've come to realise that usually fellow players appreciate the effort of a post more than they expect something perfect. We usually are our harshest critics, after all.

I do get blocks from putting my muses elsewhere. So usually when I code (anyone remember me working on the RPG DB? I'd be unable to post for weeks) or when I do work that needs me to be otherwise creative. It's like once all the creativity is used up, there's really nothing left. That kind of stuff doesn't compartmentalize for me

And exhaustion, for me too, kills the ability to create words. I usually don't have the patience to dive into the proper, elaborate descriptions of what's going on which then leads to very unsatisfying results. So I leave the posting until I've slept

bury my heart next to yours
12-17-2012
03:32 AM
two souls in a ghost town
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Nicholas (M)
Coven: WAR7ORD
12-17-2012, 03:32 AM
I have to agree with pushing through a block and just getting it out there. It's definitely going to be more beneficial in the long run because it moves the story forward and gives other players something to do, and chances are, their next post may give you additional ideas.

I tend to read the previous post a couple of times, not just to try and catch details, but if I'm feeling blocked, to see if I can find any little thing I could get my character to observe or react from. Sometimes I'll also reread the last 5 posts or more to just try and remember what kind of state of mind a character is in, especially if it's a slower moving thread where it's easy to forget what's going on.

ETA: I'll also look to biographies and character scrolls/diaries for jumping off points.

money, power & glory
I wanna take you for all that you got