Midnight Shadows (http://www.midnight-shadows.org/index.php)
-   The Moonlight (http://www.midnight-shadows.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Theme Songs (http://www.midnight-shadows.org/showthread.php?t=9987)

Caelus 01-16-2012 09:48 PM

Theme Songs

Stick with me, it's not as odd as it sounds I promise!

Teh Melleh discussed music in the creative process, and as variation on a theme and a tad more specific, is there a song that typifies your character? We all get inspired by different types of music I'm sure, and to varying degrees that helps us create characters. But is there a single song that sums up the personality or essence or even attitude of your character is three and a half minutes of expression?

Perhaps there's an entire album that is the opus to your character's life and defines your character throughout the different stages of their existence. Maybe your character and their significant other have 'their song' or there's a song that reminds you of a certain 'ship.

What are your thoughts?

Laudanum 01-16-2012 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tate Langdon (Post 385362)
What are your thoughts?

DANCE YRSELF CLEAN - LCD SOUNDSYSTEM!

It literally is Jaime's theme song. I'm not even joking. I can barely even articulate it, but it's the one song that automatically drags him out to play and it's the one song that just - it's him. All over. (his hyperactivity usually shines through at 3:08 - imagine limbs flailing because I see that!)

For my now retired characters:

Calandra: Heaven Out of Hell by Elisa (Calastian: Unfair by Kate Voegele)
Braithe: She Just Wants to Be by R.E.M. and towards the end, Be Yourself by Audioslave (Braimofer: Feel This by Bethany joy Galeotti)

Alannah: Broken Hearts, Torn Up Letters and the Story of a Lonely Girl by Lostprophets

Eventually most of my characters have theme songs, unless they're brand new or crotchy old knights who look down their grotty noses at music.

Immortal 01-24-2012 12:17 PM

I wouldn't say any one of my characters have a single theme song. However, they all have their own tastes in music and certain artists will definitely draw them out.

Marcus likes Adele, Miranda Lambert, Alison Krauss & Union Station... he likes soulful voices with emotional messages.

Teddy likes popular music. I think he even likes some dubstep which is just weird.

But as far as theme songs go, I'm not sure if I have one for each of my characters. However, now I think I need to find one.

I do, however, keep my ears out for theme songs for ships ALL THE TIME.

Dreamscape 01-24-2012 01:51 PM

I haven't really thought about my other characters much, but I know that Jess's is Iron by Within Temptation. The lyrics just fit her so perfectly.

You canít live without the fire
Itís the heat that makes you strong
Cause youíre born to live
And fight it on the way
You canít hide what lies inside you
Itís the only thing you know
Youíll embrace it and never walk away

There's plenty others that fit either her, or Juca.

Imzadi 04-17-2012 08:55 AM

Ok ... let's see. Not all have theme songs or a specific kind of music ... let's see who directly comes to mind.

ADA - Gabriel: "All These Things That I've Done" by The Killers - definitely a theme song there. Furthermore, pretty much everything Snow Patrol is him these days.

I got soul, but I'm not a soldier
ADA - Annabel: "Possession" by Sarah McLachlan is her theme song.

Through this world I've stumbled
So many times betrayed,
Trying to find an honest word,
To find the truth enslaved,
Oh you speak to me in riddles and
You speak to me in rhymes
My body aches to breathe your breath,
Your words keep me alive
FGB - Devin: I have yet to find a theme song for her, but she'll usually come to me when I put on anything of the 'angrier' variety of Linkin Park (esp. from their last album).

EC - Menefer: Anything Nickelback. To a point where Menefer in my head has Chad Kroeger's voice (and not Josh Holloway's). It's enough to hear Nickelback on the radio to put Menefer right into my head. But his theme song is "If Everyone Cared" by them.

And in the air the fireflies
Our only light in paradise
We'll show the world they were wrong
And teach them all to sing along
EC - Lucius: His theme song would be "Way of the Sword" by Hans Zimmer of the Last Samurai OST. Furthermore, "Decepticons" by Steve Jablonsky of the first Transformers Original Score OST. I can easy trigger him with either of those soundtracks.

EC - Daraiya: Daughtry will trigger her. Especially "Learn my Lesson" of their first album.

You think that I learn my lesson by now
You think that I somehow figure out
That if you strike the match your bound to feel the flame
You think that I learn the cost of love
Paid that price long enough
But still I drive myself right through the pain
Yeah well It turns out I havenít learned a thing
EC - Makin: His theme song would be "Turn and Turn Again" by All Thieves.

Only priests and pounds can save us now
Only a sign from God
Or a hurricane can bring about
The change we all want
And we've done it again
This trick we have
Of turning love to pain
And peace to war
We're just ash in a jar
EC - Malaric: His theme song is "Time of My Life" by 3 Doors Down. But he'll react to the entire album really. Along with Cavo's Bright Nights, Dark Days album.

The life I love is the one I lead
It get's crazy but thats fine by me

Cause I dont see the day
When I run all night
But I've got to say theres no other way
Cause I'm having the time of my life
EC - Rhysa: Adele's 21, And Alanis Morrissette's Flavors of Entanglement - Especially her "Versions of Violence".

This labeling
This pointing
This sensitiveís unraveling
This Sting Iíve been ignoring
I feel it way down way down